IN - Abigail Williams, 13, & Liberty German, 14, Delphi, 13 Feb 2017 #64

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, I wouldn't say it's a beret. I don't post regularly on this thread, so I don't know about TOS issues with a beret.

(I do post regularly but might have missed the TOS post? If this is the case, someone please let us know, tia. )

(I might have missed a post saying we weren't supposed to talk about the hat??? If so, apologies...!)

In a past thread we got very obsessed with the hat topic; however, LE had said not to get caught up in the hat but to focus on the features of the face. I also thought a mod had said (at that time) that we should move off the hat topic. But maybe I forgot, OR it's ok now since there is not much publicly happening in this case. ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

O/T, I suddenly got a spec of optimism while checking in on another cold "pet case" (Adrienne Salinas)...no arrest BUT I did get linked to another unrelated article which outlines the arrest of a groping suspect...anyway, point is, I was happy to see that the sketch did resemble the actual suspect (not perfect, but quite similar imo, although the ears, chin and nose are different):
http://www.azcentral.com/story/news...tempe-police-arrest-groping-suspect/16081335/

So maybe someone WILL recognize this sketch one day and call it in.

I think he's an off-the-grid perp. He may be a loner who hops freight trains and doesn't talk with anyone.

Could be indeed, which is interesting as so many profiling articles discuss some SKs as being completely the opposite.

Missouri 1993

After nine days, her frail body was found tied to a tree by a deer hunter in the Busch Wildlife Conservation area in Saint Charles County, a remote area near St. Louis. It is believed she was alive when she was left there, and she had died slowly of exposure. A small pile of ice chips had formed over her body. Later analysis revealed that her abductor had kept her alive a full week, torturing and raping her before taping her to the tree and abandoning her to die.
Law enforcement officials state they do have evidence in the case. They have the killer’s fingerprint from duct tape found at the crime scene and his DNA. Twenty years later, no arrests have been made, and no suspects announced.

http://unsolvedmysteries.wikia.com/wiki/Angie_Housman

:thinking:

That is quite true. I remember seeing an older homeless fellow sitting a street curb dressed in full winter gear in the sun one very hot summer day. I tried to offer him a bottle of water but he very politely said no to my offer. I ended up calling the authorities because I didn't want him to develop a heat related illness in 100F+ degree temperatures.
I saw a homeless woman in the subway station. It was Thanksgiving. I brought her turkey and all the trimmings. She cursed me out. She said "wheres the f--king butter for the potatos". I laughed all the way home.

Oklahoma teen runaway found in Carroll County, man arrested
http://www.wlfi.com/story/36112661/...uties-find-oklahoma-runaway-in-carroll-county

"Sheriff Tobe Leazenby says it started when deputies responded to a 911 hangup at Wildwood Trailer Court on Wednesday. They found the girl with two older men from Illinois.

One of them was 36-year-old Matthew McNair. Investigators learned he was a registered sex offender in Bureau County, Illinois, and had an active warrant in Stark County, Illinois."

[video=youtube;mZ7k9rqzXBc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZ7k9rqzXBc[/video]

OK my thought of the day, possibly lives in a "hunting cabin" somewhere.

Might be interesting to see a map image of all the deer hunting areas in the state of Indiana. Indiana doesn't have much in the way of truly public hunting, but in general, if it's outside of city limits, there's a high probability that someone hunts there. Hunting is pretty popular here and it's getting harder and harder for hunters to find places to hunt, since the majority of private property are either small tracts or owned by large farms. Leasing is becoming more prevalent, but it's still far more common to just ask someone and get permission. You could find property owners, but it would be difficult, if not impossible, to find out who actually hunts anywhere unless there was a lease agreement or they were a landowner and didn't allow anyone else on the property. With the difficulty in finding land to hunt, trespassing is also becoming a HUGE problem.

Do hunting and fishing licenses require a photo? (If he even deer hunts legally) Since moving to electronic licensing, it's basically all the info from your license (name, address, DOB, etc), but no photo required. After making the switch to electronic, I've only had to type in my email and password and all of my info is stored year to year. It even keeps track of all of my license purchases, game I've checked in, and my HIP number (for migratory bird hunting). I don't know if you can buy a license without creating a login.
Snipped for space and answers/opinions in blue.

I wish there was something else LE would and could release to us....I know we are just "amateur detectives", not trained FBI agents, but maybe there is sooooomething else the public can help contribute...like when LE released a picture of the cross in Jessica R's case...Foxfire always talked about the value of the public's help, and I toootally get keeping things close to the vest for various reasons, but even though we are not trained LE, many of us have seen thousands of cases here and something could ring a bell...not to mention our sleuthing skills whether it comes to identifying items of interest, online accounts...moo...

BBM- I think the public is capable of contributing so much more than we're given credit for. I think LE holding back info often stalls cases that could be easily solved. I don't know if it's a pride thing or if it causes too much chaos/work for them to sift through the trash to get to the treasure. I realize sifting through 10s of thousands of tips would get tiresome, especially since many are probably repeats, but all it takes is one. If they get a few thousand tips every time they release new info, it seems like eventually they'll get a tip compelling enough to check out or maybe even one that matches up with earlier tips or someone they've already talked to.

Someone from the public has seen this guy at some point. Family and close friends may not feel comfortable ratting him out, but a gas station attendant, a past teacher or employer, a waitress, a neighbor, really anyone could have seen or known this guy. The picture is just generic enough (I can't decide if he's 30 or 50) that I feel people might second guess turning in someone for fear they are innocent (it would be terribly hard to convince yourself that someone you know is capable of murdering anyone, let alone two children!). More recordings of him speaking or walking would be nice. While walking over the bridge might influence his gait a bit, I do think there would be some characteristics that wouldn't change, especially since he felt safe enough to walk across it with his hands in his pockets.

I also think the hat is distracting. I realize they are probably just covering up the unknown, but I know absolutely no one under the age of 70 that wears that type of hat here in rural Indiana. I know they said to ignore it, but if you're second guessing yourself, the last thing you need is something to cloud your judgement. "Oh neighbor Joe looks a lot like that sketch, but I can't believe he'd murder someone, and he only wears baseball caps/never wears a hat.

Also, I'd love to know if the longer hair and goatee is something they've confirmed or if it's just a suggestion. The scraggly look is still fairly popular here with younger guys (we're a bit behind the trends). I noticed it on many at the fair and many rock the goatee although just a bit of scruff, clean shaven, or a beard seems to be the most popular now. If it's confirmed, someone might have noticed if neighbor Joe cut his hair around that time or shaved off his goatee. Since I haven't seen anything suggesting those things be ignored from LE, they may have a good enough close up from the video to know he had scruffy hair and a goatee.

It does seem likely that Parabon could have been used, but could it have been used in combination with the recording? I'm not buying the witness coming forward months later at all, and remembering with such great detail what this guy looks like unless the particular witness actually knows this person well would be impossible. I understand why LE would fib a bit to cover up the fact they have the suspect's DNA, but I've seen some of the predictions vs actual photos on Parabon's site and some are wildly off. I'm just increasingly worried that someone is going to second guess themselves because something doesn't match.

Lil and Marguerite ... your mailboxes are full

Always my opinion only [emoji230]

Snipped for space and answers/opinions in blue.

BBM- I think the public is capable of contributing so much more than we're given credit for. I think LE holding back info often stalls cases that could be easily solved. I don't know if it's a pride thing or if it causes too much chaos/work for them to sift through the trash to get to the treasure. I realize sifting through 10s of thousands of tips would get tiresome, especially since many are probably repeats, but all it takes is one. If they get a few thousand tips every time they release new info, it seems like eventually they'll get a tip compelling enough to check out or maybe even one that matches up with earlier tips or someone they've already talked to.

Someone from the public has seen this guy at some point. Family and close friends may not feel comfortable ratting him out, but a gas station attendant, a past teacher or employer, a waitress, a neighbor, really anyone could have seen or known this guy. The picture is just generic enough (I can't decide if he's 30 or 50) that I feel people might second guess turning in someone for fear they are innocent (it would be terribly hard to convince yourself that someone you know is capable of murdering anyone, let alone two children!). More recordings of him speaking or walking would be nice. While walking over the bridge might influence his gait a bit, I do think there would be some characteristics that wouldn't change, especially since he felt safe enough to walk across it with his hands in his pockets.

I also think the hat is distracting. I realize they are probably just covering up the unknown, but I know absolutely no one under the age of 70 that wears that type of hat here in rural Indiana. I know they said to ignore it, but if you're second guessing yourself, the last thing you need is something to cloud your judgement. "Oh neighbor Joe looks a lot like that sketch, but I can't believe he'd murder someone, and he only wears baseball caps/never wears a hat.

Also, I'd love to know if the longer hair and goatee is something they've confirmed or if it's just a suggestion. The scraggly look is still fairly popular here with younger guys (we're a bit behind the trends). I noticed it on many at the fair and many rock the goatee although just a bit of scruff, clean shaven, or a beard seems to be the most popular now. If it's confirmed, someone might have noticed if neighbor Joe cut his hair around that time or shaved off his goatee. Since I haven't seen anything suggesting those things be ignored from LE, they may have a good enough close up from the video to know he had scruffy hair and a goatee.

It does seem likely that Parabon could have been used, but could it have been used in combination with the recording? I'm not buying the witness coming forward months later at all, and remembering with such great detail what this guy looks like unless the particular witness actually knows this person well would be impossible. I understand why LE would fib a bit to cover up the fact they have the suspect's DNA, but I've seen some of the predictions vs actual photos on Parabon's site and some are wildly off. I'm just increasingly worried that someone is going to second guess themselves because something doesn't match.

Thank you Hoosier952 for taking the time to make these detailed responses.

Just to echo that they really need to put everything out there they can into the public domain at this point, and they should be pushing for as much media attention as possible. Hound the news stations to run with the story, get celebrities involved, whatever it takes to get this to as wide an audience as possible. Shouldn't be hard with the unique 'selling point' (for want of a better term) of the video, but the longer this drifts on, the longer it falls into the realms of history, and the window of opportunity is gone.

I'm convinced that if enough people saw this video (with enough footage to show his gait if possible) combined with the audio clip of his actual voice, someone would surely put 2 and 2 together. It's all about getting it out there so this one person (who may currently be blissfully unaware of this case) has a chance to see it.

Wow, check this out. I came across this article while researching in another case (Adrienne Salinas). O/T, but it addresses some DNA stuff we've been discussing re: ancestry, etc:

How forensic genealogy led to an arrest in the Phoenix 'Canal Killer' case
http://www.azcentral.com/story/news...iller-case-bryan-patrick-miller-dna/94565410/

"Using a method with little precedent in the world of criminal justice, a California genealogist named Colleen Fitzpatrick handed police what would amount to a case-busting lead: the suspect’s last name.

“The name Miller came up in my analysis,” Fitzpatrick wrote in an email that she later forwarded to investigators."

Snip

"In a Dec.27, 2014 email, Fitzpatrick mentions the private commercial companies Family Tree DNA and Ancestry.com — which both have their own database of DNA profiles — and a commercial kit called Y-filer. Fitzpatrick notes that only Family Tree DNA has a certain marker test from a certain area in the profile.

Fitzpatrick already has flagged the surname by this email.

“I checked Ancestry.com briefly to see if there were any Millers living in the apartment complex near the Canal,” she wrote. “Of course there were quite a few. I haven't had a chance to look through them to see if there is a benefit for making the map — it may be too crowded.”

In an email from Fitzpatrick to a conference employee written shortly after Miller’s arrest in January 2015, Fitzpatrick said Miller had been on Phoenix police’s “extensive list of candidates.”

The fact that the name “Miller” emerged in her analysis, she said, “caus(ed) the Phoenix PD to take a closer look at him.

(Continued below in next post for copyright purposes)

(Continued from post #916 above)

"Greenspan said there are several companies, including Family Tree DNA, Ancestry.com and 23andMe, that will compare a DNA signature to those already in their database. The service can be used to locate distant relatives or to help adopted individuals locate their biological families.

The databases for each company are populated by others who have submitted their DNA profile and opted in to allow others to find them, Greenspan said.

He said Family Tree DNA has the ability to test for Y-STR, which comes from the Y, or paternal chromosome. Records indicate Fitzpatrick analyzed the Y-STR for the Canal Killer case.

Y-STR stands for short tandem repeats, which Greenspan described as a genetic “stutter.” The stutters, he said, are passed on “from a father to his son, literally unaltered for generations.”

Greenspan said it’s likely that one or more of Miller’s relatives — even distant — had opted to submit their DNA to one of these databases. The database would then generate the names of those with the same Y-STR. And because male lineage is more likely to carry a surname through generations, it was likely that the database generated a relative or relatives with the last name of “Miller.”

Greenspan said he knew of Fitzpatrick, but didn’t know if it was his database that she used for the case. He said it was certainly possible that she submitted the profile anonymously.

“It’s a community-built database that allows people to compare, match and share data, share family stories — that’s what it’s designed for,” he said. *“It may be used for forensic purposes, but they’re doing it around the system.”"

How forensic genealogy led to an arrest in the Phoenix 'Canal Killer' case
http://www.azcentral.com/story/news...iller-case-bryan-patrick-miller-dna/94565410/

Just to echo that they really need to put everything out there they can into the public domain at this point, and they should be pushing for as much media attention as possible. Hound the news stations to run with the story, get celebrities involved, whatever it takes to get this to as wide an audience as possible. Shouldn't be hard with the unique 'selling point' (for want of a better term) of the video, but the longer this drifts on, the longer it falls into the realms of history, and the window of opportunity is gone.

I'm convinced that if enough people saw this video (with enough footage to show his gait if possible) combined with the audio clip of his actual voice, someone would surely put 2 and 2 together. It's all about getting it out there so this one person (who may currently be blissfully unaware of this case) has a chance to see it.

Maybe with football season coming back up the Colts (members) can do another plug.

attachment.php

This is an unusual cap. If he was local and frequently wore this distinctive cap, people would remember it and would have turned him in to LE. He's a transient, IMO. How far away is the nearest train track?
It's not unusual. I have several.

JMO

As far as the FBI arriving on the day of the disappearance, it was due to the proximity of an FBI agents home to where the girls went missing. Who participated as a volunteer in the search & offered the resources of the FBI to assist in the investigation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandrz717