IN - Abigail Williams, 13, & Liberty German, 14, Delphi, 13 Feb 2017 #67

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe this is the case. Hes gone with the wind.

With all the heat, again, maybe he has even left the country...if this is the case, and he commits a future crime, and DNA is collected, would there be a way to run the sample internationally? Do any European countries have a system which can cross with the US' system? Has this ever been done? What about the reverse? Do American DNA bases have the ability to be crosschecked with any European data bases?

Eta:

https://www.interpol.int/INTERPOL-expertise/Forensics/DNA

Forensics

Forensic expertise and the exchange of forensic data is vital to international investigations.

"At INTERPOL, we maintain databases of fingerprints, DNA profiles and facial images, allowing police across the world to make connections between criminals and crime scenes. We also provide training to police in our member countries, to ensure that frontline officers have the knowledge and skills necessary to assess, preserve and share evidence in line with best practices."

Snip

"INTERPOL’s DNA database

Police in member countries can submit a DNA profile from offenders, crime scenes, missing persons and unidentified bodies to INTERPOL’s automated DNA database. The database search result is provided within 15 minutes.

Known as the DNA Gateway, the database was initiated in 2002. By August 2016, it contained more than 155,000 DNA profiles contributed by more than 70 member countries.

Participating countries actively use the DNA Gateway as a tool in their criminal investigations, and it regularly detects potential links between DNA profiles submitted by member countries. Searches of the database by member countries led to 49 international hits during the period from January to August 2016.*

Member countries can access the database via the organization’s I-24/7 global police communications system and, upon request, access can be extended beyond the member countries’ National Central Bureaus to forensic centres and laboratories."

Ok, so, if there is DNA, has it been submitted to Interpol's database? I would guess so...

"Data protection

INTERPOL serves only as the conduit for the sharing and comparison of information. We do not keep any nominal data linking a DNA profile to any individual. A DNA profile is simply a list of numbers based on the pattern of an individual’s DNA, producing a numerical code which can be used to differentiate individuals.*

This profile does not contain information about a person’s physical or psychological characteristics, diseases or predisposition for diseases. Member countries that use the DNA Gateway retain ownership of their profile data and control its submission, access by other countries and destruction in accordance with their national laws.

Promoting standards, ethics and best practice

We advocate international technical standards and systems in order to enhance the opportunities for successful cross-border collaboration. For example:

The DNA Gateway is developed to its internationally recognized standard to facilitate the electronic transfer of DNA data between INTERPOL and its member countries.The Gateway is also compatible with the EU Pruem DNA Data Exchange Network, and for selected international export of DNA profiles for countries using CODIS (the FBI-designed DNA matching software).The G8 DNA Search Request Network uses INTERPOL’s I-24/7 system and DNA standards to communicate profiles among G8 countries.

In addition to the DNA Gateway, INTERPOL strongly supports the increased use of DNA profiling in international police investigations through a variety of other activities:

The Monitoring Expert Group is a panel of forensic experts and senior investigators which advises INTERPOL and encourages authorities in member countries to implement or expand national DNA databases.Best practice principles: Recommendations for the Establishment of a National DNA DatabaseINTERPOL Best practice principles: Recommendations on the Use of DNA for the Identification of Missing Persons and Unidentified Human RemainsA DNA Users’ Conference for investigative officers, held every two years, examines developments in DNA applications and encourages the widespread use of best practice and DNA technology in criminal investigations.Regional and national INTERPOL DNA workshops are organized to encourage and facilitate international DNA exchange through the INTERPOL DNA Gateway.The INTERPOL DNA Bi-lateral Matcher - a secure private platform for two or more partner countries to compare DNA profiles."

"EXAMPLES OF SOLVED INTERNATIONAL CASES

*Ongoing investigations: INTERPOL DNA database continues to reveal criminal links

Since 2007, the INTERPOL DNA database has linked different types of crime – armed robbery, prison escape, and the use of forged travel documents – across numerous countries including Croatia, Denmark, France, Italy, Liechtenstein, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the United Arab Emirates.

These crimes are linked to a group of transnational jewellery thieves, known as the Pink Panthers, who have stolen jewellery worth an estimated EUR 320 million.

April 2013: Two perpetrators of gang rape extradited

The INTERPOL DNA database linked a Slovakian national arrested for theft in Austria to a violent gang rape that occurred in Norway in 2008. Based on this hit, the perpetrator was extradited to Norway which through police investigation*led to the positive identification of another accomplice. An INTERPOL Notice was put out for this second person who was*subsequently located*and extradited to Norway.

January 2012: Custodial prison sentence of 61 years given to international serial rapist

Multiple unsolved rapes in the US were linked through the INTERPOL DNA database to a sex offender in Austria. The 32 year old Afghan, who is believed to have visited a number of countries using an alias, was arrested in Austria and extradited to the US and sentenced on the basis of this match.

March 2012: Human bones found on beach identified

A partial skeleton washed up on a beach in Sweden was identified based on the INTERPOL DNA database match with a man reported missing in the UK who*had*failed to disembark*from a ferry bound for the UK from Norway."

United States
https://www.interpol.int/Member-countries/Americas/United-States

Structure

At the core of INTERPOL Washington’s criminal investigative support activities is the Operations and Command Center (IOCC). It provides a permanent communications interface between domestic and international law enforcement partners, as well as support to its operational divisions, namely:

Alien / Fugitive Division;Counterterrorism Division;Drugs Division;Economic Crimes Division;Human Trafficking and Child Protection Division;State and Local Liaison Division;Violent Crimes Division.

For comparison, some of you might find this rather lengthy article about the "Alphabet Killer" (serial killer) interesting. It clearly illustrates the patterns, mindset and behaviors of a prolific, serial killer. I couldn't help but think of Abbey & Libby's Perp in comparison. Chilling, but educational.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2012/may/26/alphabet-murderer

(Wow, o/t, he kept notes (for example: "Girl from Miami, down near peninsula".) I wonder of there's a thread here on WS dedicated to identifying some of his unknown victims, based on his notes etc.)

Eta: very interesting article, thanks for posting.

He had "very different" victim types, "schoolgirls in New York, prostitutes in California..."

Here is what I am thinking:
Tips eliminated some people and the remaining haystack needs to be sorted - police work is persistence and going over the possibilties until something isnt right and interesting.
I think there will be another call for tips when they exhaust this round.

(Wow, o/t, he kept notes (for example: "Girl from Miami, down near peninsula".) I wonder of there's a thread here on WS dedicated to identifying some of his unknown victims, based on his notes etc.)

Eta: very interesting article, thanks for posting.

He had "very different" victim types, "schoolgirls in New York, prostitutes in California..."

There are some similarities to Rodney Alcala. Photographer, prolific.... No offense to photographers, but I will never look at them the same way after reading that article.

"The Pattys said people from as far as Canada and Mexico started requesting fliers be sent to them.

Recipients of the fliers are asked to place them in high-traffic areas where they'll grab the most attention.

So far, around 200 packets have been mailed off, with each*containing*about 10 fliers.

And the Patty's don't plan on stopping anytime soon.

They say with everybody's help, they will catch this man sooner than later."

Greg I appreciate your honesty and feel similarly. As far as getting BG's image out there on screen at a big event I want to say Superbowl but know it would cost a chunk of change and hope he is in lock up before then! Big City, your composites DO look similar to me! Frustrated but ever hopeful I am returning for a time to lurkdom.:lurk:

That would be awwwesome....

One good way to get the info on Libby and Abby out is to tweet the poster to local news sources.

I follow The Elkhart Truth up in Elkhart Co. IN and saw The Truth's re-tweet of the wanted poster. The person who tweeted the poster to The Truth didn't have a large twitter following but her one tweet was read by The Truth's 12,000 followers. I can't find her account now to give her credit; if she reads here, then "Thank You for what you're doing."

Just here to check in. I had to step away. I was always a lurker since I felt too far away to offer any help. I have had theories, but keep them to myself since I don't think I really have all of the facts. I'm still so broken-hearted. I just don't understand. I thought for sure we'd have "him" by now.

"Becky says just last night, she started a Facebook group called Brainstorming for Abby and Libby.

They are hoping it will generate more ideas to help send the message even further."

God Love Becky, but why in the world is she doing LE's work? I get this completely, but, IMO, LE is not doing the same.

We live in fear in our small towns - nothing new released by LE - I can't imagine what the families are going through.

A few weeks ago, we had a white car "riding around" trying to lure our neighborhood kids with candy.

I have always felt safe in my little town - not anymore.

I came back to check on status. Had health problems and tried to limit my sleuth reading. However, I was listening to a podcast called "In the Dark" about the Jacob Wetterling case. He was abducted and was missing for 27 years before his killer confessed and told authorities where to find his remains. The key to this case was that the killer was very close the entire time. And at one point he was a suspect, but they couldn't find enough evidence. And he had attempted other abductions in a neighboring town. Kids knew about a creepy guy that would approach kids. Police spread out far and wide for years, and they think one of the problems was that they spread out far too fast, instead of refocusing locally. It made me think that LE should go back to day one and revisit the earlier ideas, links, interviews, hunches, etc. I still think the guy is hiding in plain sight.

We live in fear in our small towns - nothing new released by LE - I can't imagine what the families are going through.

A few weeks ago, we had a white car "riding around" trying to lure our neighborhood kids with candy.

I have always felt safe in my little town - not anymore.

IMO we need to revitalize our Neighborhood Watch Programs. We need to show these crazy monsters that they cannot get away with these activities any longer! We need to keep our citizens safe.

IMO we need to revitalize our Neighborhood Watch Programs. We need to show these crazy monsters that they cannot get away with these activities any longer! We need to keep our citizens safe.

I totally agree - I'm in fear of BG because I live very close to Delphi, but I'm a middle-aged woman. I can't believe that this monster(s) is still out there somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
haizljnes01