IN - Abigail Williams, 13, & Liberty German, 14, Delphi, 13 Feb 2017 #68

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Two points re: DNA registry of convicted felons. We've all heard of rape kits backlogged because there is no funding to test them. I read that in SC, the legislature passed laws about automatic DNA collection from people who were arrested and it was 3 years after the law passed that the collection actually started due to funding issues. So I'm wondering if anyone knows what's going on in Indiana with regard to this? Could an offender slip through the cracks, especially if non-compliant on probation, registry, etc, due to state-wide backlogs on testing felons?

My second thought on DNA. This article changed my views on DNA evidence and its infalliability. https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2016/06/a-reasonable-doubt/480747/ I know it's probably the last thing anyone wants to read right now while we are all busy sleuthing, as it's longform, but it really goes into detail about the hazards of DNA amplification and the techniques that are currently used. If the sample from Delphi is complicated by admixture, by submersion in water, by attempting to "clean up" the bodies or crime scene...LE might not have much DNA to work with. I'm hoping otherwise, though.

Having said all of that, maybe the oft-speculated twist in the Delphi case is that there is unmatched female DNA at the CS. There is definite precedent for female partners to go along and participate in male offenders' crimes. I would hope that LE takes a good look, but as the wife was able to do a phone interview with the Colorado Springs Gazette (and provide the info that she was no longer in Colorado Springs) I'm guessing she was not detained for very long?

Even if DNA was collected for an offense or another crime, there's no guarantee that sample was processed and entered. In some places the backlog for rape kits, DNA swabs, and the like is several years.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

You make an excellent point, I guess I was under the impression that as a course of the investigation into Abbey and Liberty's murders that the state of Indiana would have made sure to check that they had tried to match DNA from every RSO in Indiana, and if they didn't have it, then they paid them a visit and collected it and or discussed their alibis... gotta say with the FBI involved I'd be shocked if there was a RSO in the state who wasn't carefully looked at. Another reason why I don't think they found the killer's DNA at the crime scene, I do think they found RL' s DNA unfortunately for him.

Two points re: DNA registry of convicted felons. We've all heard of rape kits backlogged because there is no funding to test them. I read that in SC, the legislature passed laws about automatic DNA collection from people who were arrested and it was 3 years after the law passed that the collection actually started due to funding issues. So I'm wondering if anyone knows what's going on in Indiana with regard to this? Could an offender slip through the cracks, especially if non-compliant on probation, registry, etc, due to state-wide backlogs on testing felons?

My second thought on DNA. This article changed my views on DNA evidence and its infalliability. https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2016/06/a-reasonable-doubt/480747/ I know it's probably the last thing anyone wants to read right now while we are all busy sleuthing, as it's longform, but it really goes into detail about the hazards of DNA amplification and the techniques that are currently used. If the sample from Delphi is complicated by admixture, by submersion in water, by attempting to "clean up" the bodies or crime scene...LE might not have much DNA to work with. I'm hoping otherwise, though.

Having said all of that, maybe the oft-speculated twist in the Delphi case is that there is unmatched female DNA at the CS. There is definite precedent for female partners to go along and participate in male offenders' crimes. I would hope that LE takes a good look, but as the wife was able to do a phone interview with the Colorado Springs Gazette (and provide the info that she was no longer in Colorado Springs) I'm guessing she was not detained for very long?

Well, they would have no charges to hold her on I imagine. The thing is, as an Indiana RSO they would have checked on an alibi for him on the night Abbey and Libby were killed, but frequently all you have is the word of someone else, certainly makes one wonder. I would really like to know what else they found in that car and if they have impounded it or not... so many questions and sadly no answers.

So if he is BG he's grown a full beard. Attempt to change his look? I would think clean shaven would really change his look but then maybe growing a beard vs. going clean is more explainable and less drastic. Not as noticeable. His hair is short. Very short like a military cut.

If you look hard enough you can make him fit. This could be our guy. If it isn't he's BG's doppelgänger. LOL

Vinelink wouldn't search for me. Kept getting stuck on I am not a robot .... wouldn't submit beyond that point.

Anyway the mugshots I saw ... oh wow ... my heart is beating so fast. His ears seem too low .... but ....oh gosh .... please let it be him. Especially when I saw the one pic my heart jumped and my breath gasped.

Please be him....

Moo

Well, they would have no charges to hold her on I imagine. The thing is, as an Indiana RSO they would have checked on an alibi for him on the night Abbey and Libby were killed, but frequently all you have is the word of someone else, certainly makes one wonder. I would really like to know what else they found in that car and if they have impounded it or not... so many questions and sadly no answers.

Yes, they would have tried to check up on an alibi for him. But I wonder how long he/his family has been out of Indiana and roaming? What if they went transient before LE got around to checking up on him? I imagine it's hard to track them all down with the number of non-compliant ones. I know there was a specific interview with LE when they said all Carroll County sex offenders had been checked, but this guy would have been in a different county 1.5 hours away...

IIRC, Camerabug posted it yesterday (removed by mods I believe) and again today. HTH's

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...Delphi-13-Feb-2017-68&p=13652286#post13652286

Wow, this guy has quite the ability to change his appearance, he looks like a completely different person in every picture I see. His hair looks almost red in his most recent mug shot where as it looks dark brown in earlier photos. Now as women we change our hair color frequently as we age, but I had no idea it was so common among men... maybe just photo lighting but so different.

Yes indeed, depends on how Abby and Libby were murdered, which we of course don't know. I think the longer LE puts a media embargo on the photo from Colorado the more hopeful we should be regarding a possible link.
Maybe LE wants to set up a photo line-up to show to Rl or others in vicinity that day to see if they I.D. this guy before photo gets out to the media, to keep the process of I.D.'ing untainted.

Yes, they would have tried to check up on an alibi for him. But I wonder how long he/his family has been out of Indiana and roaming? What if they went transient before LE got around to checking up on him? I imagine it's hard to track them all down with the number of non-compliant ones. I know there was a specific interview with LE when they said all Carroll County sex offenders had been checked, but this guy would have been in a different county 1.5 hours away...

I don't want to get myself in trouble here but if you do some "websleuthing" you might find a good reason why I don't think they were transient until at least sometime after the middle of April.

Maybe LE wants to set up a photo line-up to show to Rl or others in vicinity that day to see if they I.D. this guy before photo gets out to the media, to keep the process of I.D.'ing untainted.

This makes a lot of sense and I had considered this later today as I thought about this angle of the case.

LE did say that the sketch was made by someone or more than one that saw him. Wouldn't be hard for LE to show the actual pic of this guy to them to ID.

Or the authorities in Colorado wanted to set up lineups with witnesses to the threats or the murder? moo

I think jax is correct. They had blocked the mug the second he was arrested. Probably to question witnesses regarding the Tim Watkins murder.

However, it does show now on the mobile patrol app (not vinelink)

I think jax is correct. They had blocked the mug the second he was arrested. Probably to question witnesses regarding the Tim Watkins murder.

However, it does show now on the mobile patrol app (not vinelink)

Anyone know how long it will take to run ballistics on the gun they recovered?

I don't want to get myself in trouble here but if you do some "websleuthing" you might find a good reason why I don't think they were transient until at least sometime after the middle of April.

Yes, I saw exactly the same thing. Mid-April is a benchmark for the family. Not sure how long it would take LE to cast the net out that far if they started their investigation looking locally.

At first i saw his picture and thought it wasn't an exact match. Then, I google searched "daniel nations mug shots" and the 5th picture knocked me out of my chair.

At first i saw his picture and thought it wasn't an exact match. Then, I google searched "daniel nations mug shots" and the 5th picture knocked me out of my chair.

Yes that is the one that made me gasp and my heart jump.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I am absolutely losing my mind over this development. Breathe...breathe...

That NOSE!!!!

I don't know about the rest of you, but I am absolutely losing my mind over this development. Breathe...breathe...

That NOSE!!!!

I just looked again and let's just say that the sketch artist was incredibly talented. I have been wrong before, but I am going out on a limb to say I am 100% convinced "this is it".

Praying....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member