Found Deceased IN - Aleah Beckerle, 19, disabled, Evansville, 16 July 2016 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a still from the YouTube video: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/d86BKN91Y_w/maxresdefault.jpg

[video=youtube;d86BKN91Y_w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d86BKN91Y_w[/video]

Her right bicep looks slightly smaller than her left but it could just be the way she's sitting. If you watch the video, you can see some sort of scar on her chest at certain angles.

EDIT: Later in the video, when she is in Aleah's room, you can see her moving around and pointing with her right arm. I don't buy that story after re-watching the video, at least not the muscle being removed from her arm.

I did notice, to be fair, she does seem to hang that right arm awkwardly. And at the very end, you can see her pick up a drink ... with her left hand. Trying to be impartial while being judgmental. :)

We're actually talking about allowing people to be around other people, participate in the community in whatever way they can and continuing to learn. Having known and loved many people with various levels of disability <modsnip>

<modsnip>Several people have suggested that given her age she should still have been in full time education (and from that when she might last have been seen by someone outside the family). Education is supposed to have a purpose, it's very origin (e-duc) means a "leading out", ie a preparation for life. I really do not understand how a person forever fixed at the mental capacity of 6-12 months can meaningfully be prepared for life. What benefit to the individual concerned is endlessly repeating sub-primary education/teaching for one who simply cannot benefit from it?

I agree that the vast majority of disabled people do benefit from education appropriate to their potential, but that's very different from the case of someone with such profound and complex disabilities as Aleah.

<modsnip>While no one is saying Aleah should have been denied the opportunity to interact in an educational setting, I think the question regarding what type of education would be appropriate given her limited capacity is a legitimate question. I'm curious about that as well. I have an 18 yr old with a moderate developmental disability but she does (slowly) advance from year to year so the programs she was in at school advanced with her. If she had stopped advancing at some point I can't even imagine what kind of education she'd continue to receive - since technically - she wouldn't really be benefiting from it. Benefiting from the social interaction yes, but not so much the education aspect.

Thank you.

<modsnip>Several people have suggested that given her age she should still have been in full time education (and from that when she might last have been seen by someone outside the family). Education is supposed to have a purpose, it's very origin (e-duc) means a "leading out", ie a preparation for life. I really do not understand how a person forever fixed at the mental capacity of 6-12 months can meaningfully be prepared for life. What benefit to the individual concerned is endlessly repeating sub-primary education/teaching for one who simply cannot benefit from it?

I agree that the vast majority of disabled people do benefit from education appropriate to their potential, but that's very different from the case of someone with such profound and complex disabilities as Aleah.

I just want to point out that the family has stated this but who knows if that is actually true. I personally believe they underestimated Aleah and treated her like she was a baby even though she likely was much further developed. They've already stated that she didn't talk and then later said she can say/mutter some things that are understandable. It's not that far-fetched to think that they underestimated her mental capacity as well.

As far as what the purpose of these programs might be, I believe it's social interaction and mental stimulation. Each student learns based on their skill level which can vary widely.

A few articles that may be of some use:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/20/education/20donovan.html

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2009/apr/07/schools-children-disability

http://parenting.blogs.nytimes.com/...isabled-needs-a-school-for-children-like-her/

No, these children will never lead a successful or tradionally "productive" life but there are many people who are not mentally handicapped in any way that graduate high school and spend the rest of their life doing nothing productive for society.

Changing the topic, Deb Wollner allegedly tried to commit suicide today in jail. This really makes me wonder about her mental state and what is going through her mind. Obviously, she is not a very stable person but I wonder what would cause her to attempt suicide. Is she afraid of being in jail for a long time? Is it drug withdrawal related? Or is she afraid that the truth is about to come out?

http://www.14news.com/story/3278031...-homeless-man-tries-to-commit-suicide-in-jail

Changing the topic, Deb Wollner allegedly tried to commit suicide today in jail. This really makes me wonder about her mental state and what is going through her mind. Obviously, she is not a very stable person but I wonder what would cause her to attempt suicide. Is she afraid of being in jail for a long time? Is it drug withdrawal related? Or is she afraid that the truth is about to come out?

http://www.14news.com/story/3278031...-homeless-man-tries-to-commit-suicide-in-jail
Thank you.

Or a frustrated and angry sibling. Quite a few years ago there was a study done in the UK looking at the impact a severely disabled child has on the family as a whole, but particularly on the other children in a household. Speaking to the other children rather than the parents, they found a very deep well of anger and frustration amongst the children who felt that they effectively ceased to exist except as additional unpaid cares for the disabled one. The guy who carried out the study described these children's lives as completely "blighted".

I think this kind of "study" is kind of ridiculous. Families vary so much. I know people who have children with severe disabilities. And the other children in the family don't have any anger toward the child with the disability. No more than the regular feelings kids have towards siblings. I think it really goes back to the parents. If you have crappy parents...then maybe the chance of stuff like that is going to be great. But it's insane to me to lump all families together like that. It serves absolutely no purpose, for one thing. And like I said...families are so different. The ones I know all see their children as blessings. Even the siblings feel the same. They are typically very protective of the sibling with a disability as well.

We're actually talking about allowing people to be around other people, participate in the community in whatever way they can and continuing to learn. Having known and loved many people with various levels of disability <modsnip>

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wish I could thank this 1000 times!

attachment.php

bringing this pic forward as it shows Aleah in her chair.

It looks like the controls are on the handle for the pusher to use and not the patient. Jmo.

She sure has a lot of court entries. Goodness.

I think this kind of "study" is kind of ridiculous. Families vary so much. I know people who have children with severe disabilities. And the other children in the family don't have any anger toward the child with the disability. No more than the regular feelings kids have towards siblings. I think it really goes back to the parents. If you have crappy parents...then maybe the chance of stuff like that is going to be great. But it's insane to me to lump all families together like that. It serves absolutely no purpose, for one thing. And like I said...families are so different. The ones I know all see their children as blessings. Even the siblings feel the same. They are typically very protective of the sibling with a disability as well.

I wish I could thank this 1000 times!

I wonder if someone put alcohol in her bottle to help her sleep. But put too much or something.

Some people in the past use to put a dab or drop of rum in their kids milk. Idk.

Old school remedies gone wrong maybe?

I'm a new WS member but I've been keeping up with this thread since day one. I'm from Evansville and this whole story is so bizarre. No one has posted it on here yet, but today there was a news article saying that Deb Wollner was hospitalized for a suicide attempt while in the county jail. I'm wondering if she has a guilty conscience?? Or thinks she's going to do some serious time for something?? There's been so much false information going around that it has to be difficult for LE to follow all the bogus leads.

I'm a new WS member but I've been keeping up with this thread since day one. I'm from Evansville and this whole story is so bizarre. No one has posted it on here yet, but today there was a news article saying that Deb Wollner was hospitalized for a suicide attempt while in the county jail. I'm wondering if she has a guilty conscience?? Or thinks she's going to do some serious time for something?? There's been so much false information going around that it has to be difficult for LE to follow all the bogus leads.

Could be a plea for a no bail release or simply a guilty conscious.

But I doubt she is afraid of jail. Especially since she pistol whipped her gf in the past. Plus she beat up a man to have him do a fake confession.

So she is not afraid of jail and I'm sure that she can hold her own in there.

I simply think she knows that she will be implicated soon. So she is trying her best to get a sympathy bail for the charges that she is currently facing.

Just so she can party a little longer before the big charges come down. Jmo.

Btw. Welcome my friend NND . And good first post.

Hi! :fence:

The suicide attempt has been confirmed.

Sources confirm to 14 News that Debra Wollner tried to commit suicide while in the Vanderburgh County Jail.
Lt. Noah Robinson, with Vanderburgh County Sheriff's Office, tells 14 News, "She is in custody, but at the hospital. A medical issue is all I can say. No fight involved."
We tried to hunt down a condition report for Wollner, but representatives from both St. Mary's and Deaconess say Wollner is not listed on patient records.

<modsnip> While no one is saying Aleah should have been denied the opportunity to interact in an educational setting, I think the question regarding what type of education would be appropriate given her limited capacity is a legitimate question. I'm curious about that as well. I have an 18 yr old with a moderate developmental disability but she does (slowly) advance from year to year so the programs she was in at school advanced with her. If she had stopped advancing at some point I can't even imagine what kind of education she'd continue to receive - since technically - she wouldn't really be benefiting from it. Benefiting from the social interaction yes, but not so much the education aspect.

moo.

Well, while I have worked in the field for decades and have many friends with intellectual disabilities, I am not a special educator. In general, I think they continue to work on whatever skills they can so that the person can become more independent, even if that's measured in tiny ways. And it is much, much cheaper than institutionalization and better for the community all around.

An example from my own experience - I have worked with a 25 year old with Down syndrome since he was 3. Some folks would look at him and say, he can't read, he can barely write his first name after staying in school until he was 22. But guess what? He has a job he loves, he volunteers at several different places, he goes to spin class, water aerobics and basketball every week and has two seasons of baseball every year. He's a productive member of our community. And yes, tax payer money provides the supports he needs to be included in the community, but he is worth it (as is Aleah), and it is still less than half the cost of institutionalization.

Well, while I have worked in the field for decades and have many friends with intellectual disabilities, I am not a special educator. In general, I think they continue to work on whatever skills they can so that the person can become more independent, even if that's measured in tiny ways. And it is much, much cheaper than institutionalization and better for the community all around.

An example from my own experience - I have worked with a 25 year old with Down syndrome since he was 3. Some folks would look at him and say, he can't read, he can barely write his first name after staying in school until he was 22. But guess what? He has a job he loves, he volunteers at several different places, he goes to spin class, water aerobics and basketball every week and has two seasons of baseball every year. He's a productive member of our community. And yes, tax payer money provides the supports he needs to be included in the community, but he is worth it (as is Aleah), and it is still less than half the cost of institutionalization.

Wonderful, wonderful post!:yourock:

Post by a group admin on why Aleah's mother is not searching: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1568070126822082/permalink/1576596285969466/

This is allowed per the social media rules unless I'm reading them wrong. The OP is definitely an admin and has been from the get-go.

In case it is deleted (all the good stuff there eventually is), here is the pertinent information: Aleah's mother was "life flighted to an Indy hospital with a deadly infection in her chest after a work accident several days prior. Doctors there placed her in an induced coma for 10 days to eliminate all stimulation after surgery." She came home on July 1st.

I'm sorry and I'm going to tread carefully, but she just doesn't seem like someone who 1) was just recently literally at death's door and 2) someone who just had major muscle mass removed from two areas including transplantation.

I wonder what the initial work injury was? Do we know where she was working? (Going back to read to see if I can find out) If all of this was a result of a work injury I would think work comp would be involved

Didn't she make many comments how she had troubling keeping jobs because Aleah would have seizures and she would have to be home with her? IIRC and I don't have the greatest memory.

Of course this is pure speculation and my opinion only.
I would think perhaps her arm would be in a sling or maybe restrained close to her body to allow that transplant time to heal? If you move your arm aggressively it definitely affects your chest muscles.

MOO

I look at that page almost daily and appreciate the open forum and there is some hard proof of some of the activities that have been going on while they've been pushing for volunteers. Most of what has been posted there by the blogger is the same info you can find by looking on the IN court records website. She's an angry chick but she seems to have done her research. What is the saying "even bad press is good"? She's keeping Aleah's name out there and while you cannot comment on the official search page because the admins close the threads, you can speak freely in that group. Still don't know all of the court records have not been covered by the MSM my only thought about that is that they do not want to take the focus off of Aleah, and I somewhat agree with that however, they are actively collecting money and I have mixed feelings about where that money may be going and I am not alone in the mixed feelings since Evansville isn't a huge city and while you're not searching for your child you have been on the news enough for people to recognize you. I don't know how the parent of a missing child is supposed to "act" and different people react to and deal with a crisis in different ways however, Aleah has been missing for a month and from day one the authorities stressed she was in grave danger since she was without her medication and what I am assuming is food that is administered via a feeding tube. Given those facts as a mother I would have been out every single day from the moment I found she was gone. So was the public mislead about her conditon? I know due to HIPPA laws any medical professional involved with the care of Aleah cannot disclose the details of her condition and adult protective services cannot comment on any cases of neglect but given the initial information provided by the police in the Silver Alert you would have to believe if she was taken by someone who did not know of her need for medication and how to feed and care for her that she is no longer living.

<modsnip> Several people have suggested that given her age she should still have been in full time education (and from that when she might last have been seen by someone outside the family). Education is supposed to have a purpose, it's very origin (e-duc) means a "leading out", ie a preparation for life. I really do not understand how a person forever fixed at the mental capacity of 6-12 months can meaningfully be prepared for life. What benefit to the individual concerned is endlessly repeating sub-primary education/teaching for one who simply cannot benefit from it?

<mod snip>

No one knows their potential...but abandoning them is 100% guaranteed to make sure they never reach it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm sorry and I'm going to tread carefully, but she just doesn't seem like someone who 1) was just recently literally at death's door and 2) someone who just had major muscle mass removed from two areas including transplantation.

I wonder what the initial work injury was? Do we know where she was working? (Going back to read to see if I can find out) If all of this was a result of a work injury I would think work comp would be involved

Didn't she make many comments how she had troubling keeping jobs because Aleah would have seizures and she would have to be home with her? IIRC and I don't have the greatest memory.

Of course this is pure speculation and my opinion only.
I would think perhaps her arm would be in a sling or maybe restrained close to her body to allow that transplant time to heal? If you move your arm aggressively it definitely affects your chest muscles.

MOO

It sounds like she might have had a muscle flap surgery. My friend's twin brother had one on his chest after a motorcycle accident. The first couple weeks they had him limit movement, but after that they encourage movement because it helps get the blood pumping and thus discourages tissue rejection and reduces scarring. I don't know if that's the norm though, or just in his case.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member