IN - Allegations of child abuse at Hephzibah House, Winona Lake, 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'm more of a lurker and occasional commenter but for some reason this has really grabbed me as I read through. Anything I can do to help, I will. I've got a decent social media audience and I'm going to see if anyone has any thoughts. I have several college friends who are lawyers but I don't believe any work in Indiana - I can ask around. I'll see what I can dig up, too.

I'm under suspicion my adoptive mother spent time in a place like this (or one for unwed mothers) in her late teens, which also piqued my interest.

I agree. I'm usually a lurker and only occasionally comment but this has pulled me in. I'm nobody of any influence, but I'll do anything that I can to help. I'm amazed that a place like HH is still operating in 2018. I live in Alabama, where (as described upthread), regulation of programs for "troubled teens" has been increased in recent years, and that gives me some hope.

You have lots of cheerleaders, disgruntled!!

I'm thinking of sending a Letter, not an email, because I'm old & I still do that, to Charles Kennedy. Fight the good fight, as it says, before those readings were perverted into what these lovely girls experienced.

Jeremiah 31:15

" A voice is heard in Ramah, mourning and great weeping. Rachel weeping for her children and refusing to be comforted, because they are no more."

Your youth was taken from you, stolen from you and the others on the basis of a false interpretation.

Sorry, JMO archaeologically trained interpretation of the New Clarendon Bible. Etc mine own opinion, interpretation, what have you.

Walk in beauty forever, Disgruntled and your brethren who escaped, and those still in prison, denied basic human rights.

Well I could go on but...I hate this. I hate that it has, is and will happen.

My hubs occasionally works in Indiana. I will go next time, set up a booth,take pictures, whatever. Scream loudly, light Latin American candles...something.
bbm
I plan to do both. Even just to say, "Thank you"! But also hoping he might have some guidance to share in what we can do and the best way to go about it.

Thank you to poster up-thread who recommended the documentary film, “Kidnapped for Christ”.

My DH and I watched the film last night on Amazon Prime and what an eye-opening film this is. It’s a rare, behind-the-scenes look at what really goes on in these places. The physical and mental abuse and the long-term emotional toll that it takes on these kids is just devastating.
One boy in the film, David, was sent away his senior year of high school because his parents couldn’t deal with him coming out as gay. [emoji22]

If you don’t have Amazon Prime movies you can watch the whole film at the link below.

https://archive.org/details/KidnappedForChrist2014Documentary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I find it hard to believe that in this day and age, it is still acceptable for this abuse to take place under the guise of ‘Religion’ and as such, is impervious to any inspection or regulation !
As I have made known many times previously ( I don’t want to bore readers but if I don’t clarify, then it will be questionable as to how I know this ), I was a Senior Investigative Officer in charge of the Criminal Investigation Department within a UK Police force Area and I have had experience of investigating abuse of this kind. In fact one case was brought against the owners of a Children’s Home who took in orphans and ‘difficult ‘ children or those who had no parental guidance so a real mix of young people. I investigated complaints made by 59 of these out of a total of 108 residents, who came forward in the mid 1990s to state they were physically and mentally abused by this couple whilst residents there in the 1960s and 1970’s. A lot of it was around a lack of food or stale food left out to rot and the control the couple had over it, buying themselves the best food and making the residents watch them eat. And they were made to go out in the middle of the night in just a thin cotton night gown and either stand in the freezing cold for a few hours guarded by a German Shepherd dog or made to cut the frozen grass with scissors... there was so much that happened that I could mention but I think you get the gist without me upsetting you more
Anyway even though over 35 years had passed by from some allegations being made and the statue of limitations had run out, they were still convicted age 79 and 81 and given 5 years prison by being convicted of a number of lesser charges but in high quantity. These kids never got over the abuse, some died or committed suicide, others couldn’t go there and re live it all by giving evidence in a Court. But the point being that this was mid 90s and we still managed to do something rather than nothing and we are now another 20 plus years on since then in the most Westernised and some would say leading Country in the World ( USA) and yet it still is happening.... why why why ???
Where are the forward thinking law makers and DA’s in this ?
I agree that now is the time to nag the authorities on the back of the despicable case of the Turpin children as if they don’t listen and take heed now, they never will!
Don’t give up and kudos to the courageous ones on here that have spoken from personal experience - God Bless you all. X

I think the hardest thing for me is that the statements of 40 years of survivors testifying to criminal abuse mean nothing because we cannot prove the nameless girls there right now are being abused. I have tried to preserve the statements of former students. dozens of them put their names and stories on the internet in order to help those girls trapped there right now. To no avail. Those statements should be enough for the authorities the go in and rescue those girls. We had every statement posted on my blog and many that the women were too afraid to post signed and notarized and sent to the local police. It was not enough.

So...I have been looking into Hephzibah House...

I am so sorry, Disgruntled, that your adolescence was interrupted and warped by these sadistic religious zealots.

What a nightmare this place is! For the life of me, I do not understand how a parent could send their child to a place that would only allow intermittent censored contact. Does that, right there, not raise a red flag?

"We don't want you to know how your child is really doing, but we will allow you to have a highly censored periodic glimpse into the propaganda that we want you believe"?

Williams...This is a "man" who believes in beating infants until they no longer cry or move. This guy should have gone to prison decades ago!

Twelve year olds sexually violated to "prove" they haven't been violated?! I can not even express in words how angry and depressed it makes me to know that this is "a thing." !!

Thinking about how to go about fighting HH...I went to take a look at the entire industry, to see what we are up against. I did come across an article that does a good outlining the Herculean task of trying to prosecute these abusers, close these places down, or even just regulating these abusive religious programs...

As the article succinctly stated, it's like Whack-a-Mole, these places often close temporarily, and re-open somewhere else, often under a new name. Particularly problematic was legislation passed by then Gov. G.Bush in 1999, giving religious exemptions for youth residential home regulations...

“The state passes the law for the regulation of residential facilities, and then they put, within that statute, a religious exemption,” Liz Sepper, a religious liberty expert and law professor at Washington University in St. Louis, told me. “You don’t need to apply, go into court for the exemption. The law never applied." Thus, many states allow religiously affiliated boarding schools to operate without registration, educational standards, background checks, or instructional certifications—even when institutions have long histories of abuse reports alleging Roloff-esque whippings, isolation rooms, and Bible memorization."

I did find, in the same article, a retired police captain, who is currently working on this, and I wonder if contacting him would be helpful? I found his work in this area very, very encouraging.

"As Newsweek reported, Restoration Youth Academy in Prichard, Alabama, was yet another home operating under a modern incarnation of the Lester Roloff approach until 2012. The facility remained free from oversight until Charles Kennedy, the now retired captain of the Prichard Police Department, received a phone call from the mother of a boy who said he’d been abused at the facility. When I spoke with Kennedy, he recalled what he found at the home: a naked boy locked in a closet, widespread allegations of physical abuse, severe exercise, and sadistic mind games. Staff had even encouraged a suicidal student to shoot himself with a gun he didn’t know wasn’t loaded, Kennedy said."

"Once the cop uncovered the dark history behind Restoration Youth Academy’s instructor William Knott—that his Bethel Boys Academy in Mississippi had been closed after a federal lawsuit alleging abuse—and obtained written statements from the boys, it took four years and reports to multiple local and statewide agencies for anything to be done. By then, Knott and Pastor David Young had closed Restoration Youth Academy and opened another facility in nearby Mobile County, Solid Rock Ministries. It’s a common move by religious leaders who know law enforcement have no way of monitoring the facilities, tracking their leaders, and compiling abuse allegations across jurisdictions, according to Marc Stern, general counsel at the American Jewish Committee and a leading expert on religious legal advocacy. “There’s a strong political tradition in the United States, for better or for worse, that education is a local matter controlled by local officials, and only extraordinary circumstances justify federal control.”

"After Solid Rock Ministries was subject to its own allegation of abuse, a 2015 police raid found isolation rooms, deplorable conditions, and signs of corporal punishment at the Mobile, Alabama, facility. Earlier this year, Knott, Young, and counselor Aleshia Moffet were convicted and sentenced to 20 years each on aggravated child abuse charges. It was the only instance I could find where operators of religiously affiliated residential schools wrapped up in abuse allegations actually went to prison."

"Kennedy has since dedicated his career to using that case as a precedent for nationwide reform
; in the years following the prosecution of Knott and his accomplices, Kennedy partnered with Alabama state representative Steve McMillan on HB-440. The bill passed this past May and was signed into law by Governor Kay Ivey, a Republican, on July 29. It’s a rare example of increased government regulation of religion in the Trump era—the new law imposes regulations on residential facilities and does not exclude religious institutions."

"As Kennedy described it, the war he’s waging here is not against religious freedom, but for basic standards of human rights. “[The facilities] can operate here, and we’re not going to charge [them] a nickel,” he said. The new law requires facilities to alert the county Department of Human Resources upon admittance of new students, conduct background checks on employees, accurately describe programming to parents, avoid restraints or abusive punishments, provide medical care, feed the children sanitary and nutritious meals three times daily, allow residents to practice their own religious beliefs, and more. “We’re just saying that if you take children into your care and custody for more than 24 hours, we should know that they are in a safe place,” Kennedy told me."

"Kennedy, who views this saga as a “national disgrace,” has set his sights on changing laws in Missouri next, and plans to battle for regulation across the country. Though he faces opposition from those eager to exploit the religious freedom loophole, the pattern of abuse begs the question: How does hiding behind the law to abuse children represent Christian ideals?"

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/...form-schools-get-away-with-brutal-child-abuse

I found an article about this a few months ago and sent him a message. I never heard back. I think I will try an actual letter too.

I'm more of a lurker and occasional commenter but for some reason this has really grabbed me as I read through. Anything I can do to help, I will. I've got a decent social media audience and I'm going to see if anyone has any thoughts. I have several college friends who are lawyers but I don't believe any work in Indiana - I can ask around. I'll see what I can dig up, too.

I'm under suspicion my adoptive mother spent time in a place like this (or one for unwed mothers) in her late teens, which also piqued my interest.
Thank you so much

I surely did not think when we started this thread that we would get so many participants showing an interest in helping. I am truly amazed and hope we can make a real difference. You all rock!

I found an article about this a few months ago and sent him a message. I never heard back. I think I will try an actual letter too.

Hmmm. Maybe I'll call as well... You never know if he saw that message, do try again Disgruntled!

I read the account of what it took for just that one case, and this guy went through four yrs of, "Nobody cared". He had government officials, CPS, and more just dismissing the whole thing. And what's worse, some were working to cover it up, and the "school" even tried to get Kennedy declared a PEDO! Here's an article on how he began, and went about trying to fight for these kids.

http://www.newsweek.com/2017/03/10/...-christian-school-beatings-nudity-562257.html

Just a snippet:

"I Was in Shock’

"After he spoke to Robert, Kennedy knew he had to move quickly. So in early 2011, he returned to RYA for a final round of confidential on*site interviews. Arriving after dinner, Kennedy thought he’d be allowed to speak to the boys privately in Knott’s office. Instead, the RYA manager led him to the shower area where Knott told Kennedy he could interview the boys. To the officer’s surprise and discomfort, each boy entered and sat across from him completely naked to answer his questions,

while Knott stood nearby to watch.Kennedy was suspicious, but only later did he learn the full purpose of the stunt; as an RYA cadet, William Vargas, explained in a letter to the officer: “After Captain Kennedy left, Mr. Will [Knott] told everyone to write a paper saying that Captain Kennedy wanted to see us naked, and make Captain Kennedy look like a pedophile.

”Kennedy conducted his final interviews, then went to his chief, Jimmy Gardner, who gave him permission to present his findings to the Mobile County District Attorney, Ashley Rich and her chief investigator, Mike Morgan. But from the beginning, Kennedy sensed something was awry.So when the chief gave Rich and Morgan a briefcase with documents from the case one day in the fall of 2011, Kennedy stopped him, and asked to make sure everything was inside. What he discovered left him even more jaded: Half of the documents were missing. Kennedy went down to his car, and retrieved copies of everything intended for Rich, then briefed her and Morgan on what was going on—the forced fighting, the isolation cells and shackles, the beatings of naked boys. After Kennedy made his presentation, he says Rich coolly responded: “Parents need to be more careful where they send their children.”“I was in shock,” Kennedy says. Morgan, speaking for the district attorney’s office, doesn’t recall Rich making such a statement. "

snip

"Kennedy’s feeling of triumph and vindication is tempered by the fact they got away with it for so long. “They all knew,” he says of the government agencies that ignored his pleas, “and they did nothing.”

"All these politicians have lined their pockets with the blood of children.”

Please do correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe this church is associated w HH, but is now a separate entity from what I’ve read on SM.... possibly to protect assets??

http://www.believersbaptistwarsaw.org/page1/page1.html

dd8857f2aa229b8babbd58542e1f8d46.jpg

I think the hardest thing for me is that the statements of 40 years of survivors testifying to criminal abuse mean nothing because we cannot prove the nameless girls there right now are being abused. I have tried to preserve the statements of former students. dozens of them put their names and stories on the internet in order to help those girls trapped there right now. To no avail. Those statements should be enough for the authorities the go in and rescue those girls. We had every statement posted on my blog and many that the women were too afraid to post signed and notarized and sent to the local police. It was not enough.

It’s a long shot but how about paying for an advert in your local / regional newspaper with a bold headline “HAVE YOU (OR ARE YOU CURRENTLY) BEEN SUBJECT TO ABUSE WHILST RESIDENT AT HH?” With a contact telephone number and/or email for people to get in touch.
I will help to pay toward the cost of doing this as I am sure the other wonderful caring people who are on this thread right now will do so too surely? Then you take these results ( hoping that many residents/ ex respond ) to LE and Political contacts and say
“CAN YOU STILL IGNORE ALL THESE ALLEGATIONS???”

That's great news!!

Even if the folks there don't run with the idea, journalists kibbitz & share.

The HH story is timely (and not just because of the Turpins), compelling, and has investigative depth. If not MPR, maybe another media outlet, via interest passed along the grapevine. :)

The Investigative unit at The Indianapolis Star are the ones who broken open the Larry Nassar case by working directly with a couple of the victims. I think this could be right up there ally. They do outstanding work. Here is a link: https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2018/01/25/us/larry-nassar-indy-star/index.html

I saw this on another thread and wonder if they might be helpful here? Investigative journalists at ProPublica:
#227 animlzrule :;ProPublica is an American nonprofit organization based in New York City. It describes itself as a nonprofit newsroom that produces investigative journalism in the public interest.[2] In 2010, it became the first online news source to win a Pulitzer Prize, for a piece[3] written by one of its journalists[4][5] and published in The New York Times Magazine[6] as well as on ProPublica.org.[7] ProPublica's investigations are conducted by its staff of full-time investigative reporters, and the resulting stories are distributed to news partners for publication or broadcast. In some cases, reporters from both ProPublica and its partners work together on a story. ProPublica has partnered with more than 90 different news organizations, and it has won four Pulitzer Prizes.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ProPublicahttps://www.websleuths.com/forums/s...2-Jan-2018-7-*Arrest*&p=13895541#post13895541

ooops ... I see EuTuCroquet already suggested this group
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/s...ouse-Winona-Lake-2018&p=13896740#post13896740

Please do correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe this church is associated w HH, but is now a separate entity from what I’ve read on SM.... possibly to protect assets??

http://www.believersbaptistwarsaw.org/page1/page1.html

cache.php

Yes, Donald Williams (here) is the first born son of Ronald Williams director of Hephzibah house. The Church is on the same property as the dorm for the girls which is in the basement of the Williams private residence. There are two or three other staff member houses on the compound and these people and the Hephzibah Girls pretty much make up the entire congregation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QB9ZWM-iq0

this is Donald Williams.

Yes, Donald Williams (here) is the first born son of Ronald Williams director of Hephzibah house. The Church is on the same property as the dorm for the girls which is in the basement of the Williams private residence. There are two or three other staff member houses on the compound and these people and the Hephzibah Girls pretty much make up the entire congregation.

10 children?!? :scared:

I don't understand how this man is not ashamed of showing his face on the media knowing what is going on in that "school" of horrors. And he probably considers himself a good Christian... Sickening to say the least.

What I find most disheartening is that these institutional abusers will likely never see a day in jail. If they comply with reforms and oversite, (if we get those), These abusive schools will be allowed to carry on. Like they just get to go, "oopps, sorry about all that child abuse, we won't starve or beat our students from now on". And they're good to go! And there are So. Many. of these Hell holes... Unreal.

Unless charges are filed against HH. by someone not passed the statute of limitations, I don't know what can really be done. ?

I found some YouTube videos made by a young woman who was in HH for four or five yrs. She left in 2009.

She has a few videos that talk about the abuse at HH and (she also has a friend, also a HH survivor, who talks about the forced vaginal exam she was subjected to, at twelve years old.)

I'll post up the first video, where she talks about all the girls being taught that they are *advertiser censored* and the one where she and her friend describe some of the abusive treatment.

Clearly they are novice, and HH was a very confusing experience, so the material is primitive, unscripted and it made feel so bad for them watching them try to come to terms with what was done to them and ...why.

She has other videos about the food, and forced hydration ect... that can be found on her channel.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q6AGggLdIrQ

https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=673s&v=E63ctgdY-7I

JMO

Re BBM
Notice where it was sent and remember my other post about how these religous based organizations may donate large sums to local LE and other places to expect protection.

This does not surprise me for that reason. I really feel the financial donations both from and to the religious based organization may uncover illegal methods. And if that can be proven that may be the ticket.

Forgive me if it has already been suggested, but what about Ronan Farrow, who did such diligent work on Harvey Weinstein?

https://twitter.com/RonanFarrow

https://www.facebook.com/ronanfarrow

I have a hunch he will be looking for lots of new content:

HBO has signed investigative journalist Ronan Farrow to an exclusive three-year television deal that will begin later this year, it was announced today by Casey Bloys, president, HBO programming. Farrow will develop and front a series of investigative documentary specials for the network. His stories will continue to document the abuse of power by individuals and institutions, and will proceed in tandem with ongoing reporting for the New Yorker, which he is joining as a contributing writer. In addition, Farrow will produce and host other topical, newsworthy pieces for HBO’s various platforms, to be announced as they are confirmed.

Hello wonderful sleuths! I am trying to contact one person or follow one trail each day 5 days a week. Happily the first two suggestions I followed opened up other ideas and possibilities so I am following those threads now also. Williams can read here, which I do not mind, but I do believe the things in progress need to be kept private for now.

Anyone who finds public records regarding property owned or assets please post it in the media thread. I am very curious about that angle and would extremely grateful if someone could help with that.

Thank you again and again and again. People who are willing to actually get busy to help these kids are what make this bearable for me.

I'll check back as much as I can. (and, of course, I have to keep an eye on the magnificent young T's)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ickem916
Back