IN - Amanda Blackburn, 28, pregnant, murdered, Indianapolis, 10 Nov 2015 - #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am really confused. What was stolen a debit card or credit card?

Debit cards require security numbers be entered but lots of people don't even look at the person using a credit card. (think Casey Anthony at Target)

From the beginning I thought it was a debit card the killer TRIED TO USE. But since then it almost seems he did in fact use it?

Anybody know for sure about the card?

Most debit cards have a PIN right now. However, it's VERY common for someone to use their birthdate as the PIN. Shockingly I have heard that another VERY common PIN is 1234. So it would not be at all surprising for a criminal to know this and try the birthdate and 1234. Would be really interesting to know if it was indeed something of that nature. If they stole the bank cards, they could have easily looked at drivers license to get the birthdate.

Most debit cards have a PIN right now. However, it's VERY common for someone to use their birthdate as the PIN. Shockingly I have heard that another VERY common PIN is 1234. So it would not be at all surprising for a criminal to know this and try the birthdate and 1234. Would be really interesting to know if it was indeed something of that nature. If they stole the bank cards, they could have easily looked at drivers license to get the birthdate.

I think being asked for you're PIN at gunpoint would be motivation to share it. She was probably hoping if she gave him the PIN he would leave the house. Poor Amanda.

I think being asked for you PIN at gunpoint would be motivation to share it. She was probably hoping if she gave him the PIN he would leave the house. Poor Amanda.

I agree that is the most likely means of getting the PIN. I don't doubt that someone would give it willingly. But, was just saying that criminals are likely aware of what to try if they lift a card in a burglary, without needing to hold someone at gunpoint. I've seen numerous articles over the years in regards to this practice.

every neighborhood is different. but I still keep pointing to the sparse amount of eyewitness accounts ? no one seemingly calls about gunshots. They found this girl several hours after gunshots.

So that doesn't give me the sense that this was a busy area. all speculation, but I think what we know at this point supports very little activity.
One of the things I do not understand is when the so called neighbor saw the guy with the hoody at her front door what did he do? As a neighbor if I saw something like that at that time of the morning I would have watched #1 and if I saw him force his way in or went into the house, I would have made sure that he looked invited or waited to see when he came out. Certainly in the time the shots were fired called 911. If everyone is so close why wouldnt you pay attention. He paid enough attention to notice him at the front door?

But that one was different. They didn't rape and murder the women. They robbed them and left.

This killing of Amanda was mean and ugly and brutal. That poor woman.

We don't know for sure Amanda was raped.

And what if the only difference is Amanda woke up??

Oh yeah, links. I can't find the one I first used though.

Authorities told the station that a credit card taken from Blackburn's home had been used at various locations in the city. Police said the transactions began the night Blackburn was shot.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/3-questioned-in-murder-of-indiana-pastors-wife-amanda-blackburn/

Police haven't released many details, but say they did recover a handgun a few blocks from the murder scene.

They also say a credit card taken from Blackburn's home has been used at various locations in Indianapolis.
http://www.wsbt.com/news/local/UPDATE-Police-question-possible-suspects-in-Blackburn-murder/36557734

Authorities confirmed to FOX59 Thursday a credit card taken from Blackburn's home had been used at various locations in the city. Police said the transactions began the night Blackburn was shot
http://fox59.com/2015/11/19/police-...-in-connection-with-amanda-blackburns-murder/

Good point Max brought up about her possibly having a gun. Police initially said she was killed protecting her child. The baby was found (thank GOD) in his crib upstairs. I saw another article saying she was found downstairs. Perhaps the gun was wrestled from her. I looked through Davey's FB posts - there are many- and the two of them going to a shooting range was mentioned. Anyone I know who visits shooting ranges, have a gun at home. Just a thought. Or it could have been her unborn child she was protecting (shot to the hand, torso - her protecting them both and then tragically the shot to the head).
But then I think maybe she was still in bed and most likely she was completely startled by the intruder - there was no forced entry, so someone coming in through the door quietly she would not have heard - would she have been near the gun and had time to get it?

I'm baffled on this case really. Just pray he is caught before he does this again.
BBM
I watched one of their DB and AB's videos and in one of them she talks about now liking to get up early and do her devotions. Before she was married and early on in the marriage she didn't like to do them early and now "hates to do them any other time". I think she was up.

Debit cards require security numbers be entered but lots of people don't even look at the person using a credit card. (think Casey Anthony at Target)

From the beginning I thought it was a debit card the killer TRIED TO USE. But since then it almost seems he did in fact use it?

Maybe it was more than one card, so it could have been a debit and/or credit card(s)? I do not think we know for sure what items were taken.

"Last week, the same sources admitted that a suspect used Blackburn’s debit card at an ATM, but the suspect’s face was heavily covered."

http://wishtv.com/2015/11/19/police-question-2-in-connection-to-blackburn-murder/

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Maybe it was more than one card, so it could have been a debit and/or credit card(s)? I do not think we know for sure what items were taken.

"Last week, the same sources admitted that a suspect used Blackburn’s debit card at an ATM, but the suspect’s face was heavily covered."

http://wishtv.com/2015/11/19/police-question-2-in-connection-to-blackburn-murder/

My debit card looks and acts like a Visa (so I could use it at a store or the gas pump and no one would know the difference) but I can use it at the ATM. The only difference is it takes money from my checking account instead of charging it to a credit account. Isn't that what most people have?

My debit card looks and acts like a Visa (so I could use it at a store or the gas pump and no one would know the difference) but I can use it at the ATM. The only difference is it takes money from my checking account instead of charging it to a credit account. Isn't that what most people have?
Same here. But I have credit cards as well.

I keep going back to Converse being on the force for 35 years, with the last 12 of those years being on the Homicide team. This man has seen more graphic violence in those 35/12 years than I can ever imagine. Many homicide detectives will admit to becoming "numb" to hardcore violence after seeing so much of it. Of course, not all people operate the same way.

Regarding the number of shots fired; do we have confirmation that it was 2 or 3, yet? Amanda was shot in the hand, torso, and head, correct? Do we know if it was her left or right hand that suffered a bullet wound? One could reasonably assume that the shooter was targeting the unborn child with the shot to the torso, IMO. I think I know what the shooter was targeting with the shot to the head. But, if there was another shot fired at the hand, then I'd like to know which hand suffered the wound.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12204262

IN - Amanda Blackburn, Pregnant Wife & Mom Killed in Home Invasion, Indianapolis - #3

I can't find the post now... argh. But in response to the question about which of Amanda's hand was shot- I believe it was her left hand, and the ONLY info I'm going on here (MOO, MOO) is the photo......
Someone (@MJPeony I think) posted the response above. IMO, it was her left hand as well.

Again, this is not an official statement, but a 'source' - it says "three times":
"Those close to investigation say Blackburn was shot three times: once in the hand, torso and head."

For what it's worth. I have a card that can be used as either debit or credit. Debit requires a PIN; credit does not. I always use it as credit. Usually when I pull it out the clerk just asks "credit or debit?" and punches the correct buttons. When I buy gas with it I pay at the pump with no clerk involved. So it's easy for me to see how someone could use Amanda's bank card without a PIN.

I know with my debit card, I have the option to use it as "credit" where I don't have to use the PIN. Really the only time I have to use the debit option would be to get cash back (or at an ATM to take cash out).

OOPS - didn't see IzzyBlanche answered the same above.

For what it's worth. I have a card that can be used as either debit or credit. Debit requires a PIN; credit does not. I always use it as credit. Usually when I pull it out the clerk just asks "credit or debit?" and punches the correct buttons. When I buy gas with it I pay at the pump with no clerk involved. So it's easy for me to see how someone could use Amanda's bank card without a PIN.

Yep, especially for gas.

And, I purposefully do not sign any of my credit cards (even my debit/credit) so that I will be asked for I.D. But, really the only reason I'm ever even ASKED for I.D. is because they notice it is not signed. It's not like (most) clerks look at the name carefully to make sure the name matches with your face (i.e. a man vs. woman).

I agree. I would think initially maybe the dog was friendly towards the intruders, but if the dog was still in the house when they started to attack her, you would think the dog would try to at least protect her. I have a cat that would take anyone's eye out if they harmed me or my daughter.

Makes complete sense he'd be more nervous at a press conference in front of so many people and cameras, especially addressing such a high profile case. In the clip he could get more takes, there was only one person and one camera, and he was in his own environment. Of all the stuff there is to read into the press conference the dog picture is the only thing I find weird. But maybe he wanted to start off on a positive note before getting to the tough stuff?

The glitch you're talking about - is it only on this network's video or is it on others as well?

It's possible. He does come off as a very warm person, fatherly-like. He also made an odd comment about his wife answering the phone when one of the detectives called, and then kinda laughed nervously. I'm sure that was nothing and he was just super nervous. Probably just not a public speaker.

Captain Converse's nervous behavior during the presser is concerning. We're talking about a 35 year vet, 12 years in Homicide, who was shaking like a leaf. His behavior was certainly unexpected, IMO. Watch it for yourself here and let me know why you think he was so nervous. Also, can someone tell me what was being said when the audio was conveniently jumbled at the exact time Captain Converse was releasing the "time we put the suspect at the crime scene"? --- very bizarre, IMO.

I watched this a few times this morning, with and without my sound turned on. (FYI if you want to also do it, the phrase in question is around the 2:45 mark).

I'm now convinced he said "at some point." So, it seems they do not want to say exactly when in the timeline they put the perp there??

You can run a debit card as a credit card -- iow, you can use either a PIN like a debit card or request that it be handled as a credit transaction, in which case you'd sign for it rather than using a PIN.

You can run a debit card as a credit card -- iow, you can use either a PIN like a debit card or request that it be handled as a credit transaction, in which case you'd sign for it rather than using a PIN.

Yes I live my life with my Debit/Credit card. But what I am wondering is did he have her password to use her debit card to withdraw money at an ATM and buy gas at a gas station.

I have heard both but don't know if they were 'attempts' or successful withdrawals????

MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member