GUILTY IN - Conner Conley, 10, strangled to death, Rising Sun, 28 Nov 2009 *brother arrested*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
WTF is going on lately.... :(

Kids killing kids - it's beyond me.

OT = my son is an 8th grader and today one of the kids got po'd at his teacher, so the teacher got in the kids face (he's 12 and BIG) while the teacher was of smaller asian desent. Anyway, the 12 year old stands up, and punches the teacher in the mouth. Teacher goes down, and the cops are called. He's now in juvenile hall.

I'm just gobsmacked that a child would do that because of something so minimal (like sit in your seat, or stay quiet). What next - kill the teacher?

What's going on these days!

Okay - back on topic.

Mel

Kids killing kids - it's beyond me.

OT = my son is an 8th grader and today one of the kids got po'd at his teacher, so the teacher got in the kids face (he's 12 and BIG) while the teacher was of smaller asian desent. Anyway, the 12 year old stands up, and punches the teacher in the mouth. Teacher goes down, and the cops are called. He's now in juvenile hall.

I'm just gobsmacked that a child would do that because of something so minimal (like sit in your seat, or stay quiet). What next - kill the teacher?

What's going on these days!

Okay - back on topic.

Mel

OMG! I would have never even thought of doing something like that to one of my teachers. I was taught to respect my teachers. I hope they don't let him come back to school, or at least not in that teachers class.

OMG! I would have never even thought of doing something like that to one of my teachers. I was taught to respect my teachers. I hope they don't let him come back to school, or at least not in that teachers class.

Thankfully, the school has a no tolerance policy. He will not be allowed to come back. I know of 2 kids that got in a fight, and they had to go to another school. Some folks would say that's too harsh - but why disrupt the entire school - especially a school that's trying to teach respect. They really have an awesome principal -- he doesn't take any carp from the kids.

Not to stray OT, but when I was in school there was a paddle in the principal's office!! The only benefit was you got to sign the paddle and become a "cool kid". LOL. We all had respect for parents and teachers. Society IMO went on a downturn when discipline (or the threat of it) was removed from schools!

Missizzy, I just want to thank you for your thoughtful posts on this subject. I read the article you linked to, and I thought it was very balanced. I've posted previously on a relative I have with a serious mental illness. I also was, some time ago, in a relationship with someone who was diagnosed as bipolar. As thing went on, it became pretty clear that he was, in fact, schizophrenic, and getting sicker. For people who haven't loved someone with an illness like that, it's really hard to describe--seeing them decline, being in denial, coming to acceptance. I ended the relationship, and later felt the need to seek a restraining order. Almost 10 years later, he was scheduled to be released later this month from the local state psychiatric facility, where he has been on an NGI commitment after stabbing someone--something that, as frightened as I was at times, I never saw coming. I was greatly relieved to recently find out that the county is stepping in with a civil commitment to keep him institutionalized, as he is still very, very ill.

What the facts are in this case remains to be seen. However, given the description of this boy's (yes, a 17-year-old is a boy) demeanor, and the few facts we know, a serious mental illness is the first thing that jumps to mind for me. Not to be disrespectful to other opinions, but it frustrates me when people assume that a mental illness is an excuse, or a 'get-out-of-jail-free' card. Being found not guilty by reason of mental disease or defect (the terminology in my state) is no free pass. I've met with folks in the state psychiatric hospital, as well as many other psychiatric units, for reasons related to my previous job. It's no picnic to be in a locked unit, and people are generally there for a real, and a sad, reason. Unless you've known someone with a severe mental illness, and known them well, it's very hard to picture the devastation that it can wreak on a person, and on their thought process.

That's fine, he can stay in the mental hospital for his LWOP. Not a problem for me as long as he's locked up. Then he can have his mental defect defense and we are all protected. You're right, he'd be in there for a very sad reason, he MURDERED his brother and compared it to wanting to eat a hamburger. :banghead:

I just thought of something I'd like to add. A dear friend of mine who is a professional in crime victims advocacy lost a beautiful young child in a similar way. She was purposefully run down by a teen driver. The boy told people the week before that he wanted to kill someone to see what it felt like. IIRC, he was from a good family, got good grades, and seemed like he was going somewhere in life. And then....a murder. A dead 10 year old on the side of the road.

I met my friend years after this death when he stepped in to help our family with victims advocacy. His vicious hatred of this teen had not paled over the years. His marriage dissolved. He turned every moment of his life toward tightening the crime laws in our state. He's the reason that our children's rapist was locked up until age 25, rather than 21.

I care for this man greatly and I empathize with the horror of losing a child. I think, though, that if he ever moves past his hatred, he would see that this young man was sick in some terrible way. It wasn't a joke. It was illness. I'm not saying that the young man should be free but I'm saying that we need to explore why these tragedies happen.

Kids need to be taught to tell adults when someone is talking crazy, or cutting, or making horrific plans. We've successfully taught them to brush their teeth, wear their seatbelts, and use a condom (most of the time). Why can't we teach them about mental illness? These are their peers. They see more than we see.

I just want everyone to wake up and pay attention to the kid next door, the guy at the next desk, and the lady in line at the grocery store. What did the Portland detective say yesterday about the public defender who was found dead?

"No tip is too small". I want everyone to remember that.

BBM. In today's world, WHEN do children have the time to tell adults anything? Between parents working, kids' activities, television, and what have you, there isn't any family time. Way back when, we used to sit and TALK, we used to EAT dinner together, it was a must. Today that isn't the norm; somewhere there's always a tv going or someone is texting. I doubt anyone knows what anyone else is thinking, and I further doubt anyone would know their child had a problem until they act out - just like this case.

My opinion only

That's fine, he can stay in the mental hospital for his LWOP. Not a problem for me as long as he's locked up. Then he can have his mental defect defense and we are all protected. You're right, he'd be in there for a very sad reason, he MURDERED his brother and compared it to wanting to eat a hamburger. :banghead:

Without looking at it and thinking about it, without even trying to solve the problem, what you end up with is a whole population of criminals locked up and no population available to support them.

Violent crime is getting worse. And the criminals are getting younger. If we don't work to find out what is wrong it will continue. But if they can figure out how to identify a problem, and to fix it then just maybe they can educate parents, get the kids help and just maybe save someone.

This kid is young enough, that depending on his problem just maybe with counseling or meds or something that maybe they could fix him. Just maybe he could become a productive citizen. Not the citizen he could have become before he killed Connor, but something more than a caged animal. If he is sociopathic, then probably we don't have the skills to change him. But if it is bipolar or depression or another mental illness, then there is the possiblity that with meds, counseling and emotional support that he can become productive citizens.

It is easier to sit back after the fact and say why didn't the parents do something. But what would you do? If you found out that your child had begun cutting? Then you wake one morning and find your child standing over your bed holding a knife? Would you try to handle it yourself or call police? Or would you call a hospital or a counselor?

One reason I am interested in this is that with him being withdrawn from school, I am thinking that probably after the cutting he was probably taken to the hospital. And probably put on meds. And some psych meds have been connected to suicide and homicide in young patients. I'm wondering if he was put on some of those meds.

Lawsuit against the makers of Paxil:
http://www.baumhedlundlaw.com/media/ssri/Paxil_murder.htm
Zoloft and Prozac are also mentioned.

http://www.communicationagents.com/sepp/2004/08/26/paxil_zoloft_xantax_drug_induced_violence.htm

http://injury-law.freeadvice.com/drug-toxic_chemicals/paxil_side_effects_and_uses.htm

RLynne--You stated my same thoughts very eloquently. Until someone has lived with someone with severe and/or sudden onset mental illness, you just can't imagine it. One day your son or daughter will give you a kiss and help with the dishes and the next night you'll find them cutting or hallucinating or....killing. I really think that we must step back and look at the whole picture. If it doesn't make sense, if the act is totally out of character, something isn't right. The pieces don't add up. And you are so right, RLynne, pleading insanity is no walk in the park.

Insanity is the last world that any of us want to live in--personally or by proxy. I've visited my son scores of times in lock up at the old Oregon State Hospital (yes, where they filmed "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest") and that was no way for children to live.

Chicagofa13, I don't think you're a "meanie". I think you have a right to your opinion and I value reading it. However I don't agree with you in this case. I appreciate your plain spoken opinion and think you have some good points. I also know that you are fighting like hell for everyone's safety. You are tired, just like we all are, of coming on to this board and reading about these tragedies.

In all my years of studying childhood development and the effects of trauma (abuse, loss, multiple moves, illness) on children, I've learned that very very few children are truly "born evil". I use that term as others have chosen it but I abhor it. I'd rather say "damaged". If a child is truly born with no moral compass, I would ask everyone to look closely at their pre-natal and peri-natal experiences. Were they drug exposed? Did they experience violence through their mother's serotonin levels while in the womb? Did they bond with a care-giver from day one?

These are the sorts of things that can cause a child to have no compass, no tempering valve, no understanding of consequences, no sense of right and wrong. This is Attachment Disorder, the most devastating diagnosis of all time. Literally, unfixable. Not evil, but broken or damaged.

This child can only care for himself as he has been programed to not trust that anyone will care for him. As an infant, when he's hungry, he goes unfed. When he's wet or cold, he's not warmed. We've seen through countless studies that this destroys the human spirit. There's no bootstraps to pull oneself up by. There's actually just a hollow core. If that is what you mean by "born evil", I will agree that some children and adults fit that category. They drew the short straw through no fault of their own. This is Conduct Disorder, Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Early Onset Bipolar.

No healthy infant chooses evil over warm arms, smiles, and comfort. When we discover these children, we need to work our butts off to reach out to those parents through early intervention programs and make sure that every single child who is born gets their birthright--love and safety. If the baby is already here, we need to work like crazy to build trust and bonding. If we don't, we will all pay down the road. I know this to be a fact. I live it everyday.

But that's not what seems to be happening here. I noticed the quotes below in this article:

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/AB/20091204/NEWS0107/312040022/Teen+pleads+not+guilty

"Though his parents withdrew him from Rising Sun High School Nov. 16, some of Andrew’s classmates attended the hearing."

"According to court records, the parents were at work Saturday night. Andrew and Conner were at home alone. The brothers started wrestling."

"He said the Conley family was “very structured. They did family things. They took vacations. They would come to New York to visit family. We went bowling, and Conner had a great time.”

Let's look at this new info. The parents withdrew Andrew from school. They made some sort of plan in reaction to his cutting. We don't know what it was yet. I think it is entirely possible that he saw a therapist and was put on some meds. Even though two weeks went by (a lifetime for teens), friends attended his hearing. Those words are telling. Andrew had friends. Teens with Conduct Disorder do not. My guess is that these friends are reeling and trying to make sense of what happened to their classmate.

Next, we have the boys' parents leaving the children home alone. That tells me that they didn't sense any danger. Let me assure you that if Andrew exhibited Conduct Disorder or any long term mental health issue, that action would surprise me greatly given what is described in the next quote. The family was structured. They did things together. It sounds as if this mom and this dad were doing just what all good parents do.

We might, in hindsight, wonder what they were naively thinking if Andrew had just been diagnosed with depression or another illness. We have to remember, though, that not every parent out there is like me who gets chance after chance to get it right and can write a book on the "management of the traumatized child". This was there oldest son.

Parents always want to hope for the best. My guess is that nothing would have ever given them cause to worry about Conner's safety or they wouldn't have left them alone. Look at the way the little guy is described--smart and personable. He didn't get that way in a vacuum. It's likely that he had good parenting, good brothering, and a loving extended family. Note that a grandmother's house is mentioned which was a frequent child care option.

I strongly feel that Andrew's and Conner's friends and classmates need to be watched carefully as a trauma like this is known to have a major "ripple" effect on other children and teens. It is likely that we'll see more depression, cutting, acting out. This school and community are going to have their hands full for a long time.

I fully realize that none of us have the answers or the whole story and probably never will. Respectfully discussing these distressing and tragic events and debating our societal responsibilities is the healthiest thing we can possibly do. I know that all of us turn away from this forum and look at our loved ones and our communities with opened eyes. We are wiser for having examined these stories.

Without looking at it and thinking about it, without even trying to solve the problem, what you end up with is a whole population of criminals locked up and no population available to support them.

Violent crime is getting worse. And the criminals are getting younger. If we don't work to find out what is wrong it will continue. But if they can figure out how to identify a problem, and to fix it then just maybe they can educate parents, get the kids help and just maybe save someone.

This kid is young enough, that depending on his problem just maybe with counseling or meds or something that maybe they could fix him. Just maybe he could become a productive citizen. Not the citizen he could have become before he killed Connor, but something more than a caged animal. If he is sociopathic, then probably we don't have the skills to change him. But if it is bipolar or depression or another mental illness, then there is the possiblity that with meds, counseling and emotional support that he can become productive citizens.

It is easier to sit back after the fact and say why didn't the parents do something. But what would you do? If you found out that your child had begun cutting? Then you wake one morning and find your child standing over your bed holding a knife? Would you try to handle it yourself or call police? Or would you call a hospital or a counselor?

One reason I am interested in this is that with him being withdrawn from school, I am thinking that probably after the cutting he was probably taken to the hospital. And probably put on meds. And some psych meds have been connected to suicide and homicide in young patients. I'm wondering if he was put on some of those meds.

Lawsuit against the makers of Paxil:
http://www.baumhedlundlaw.com/media/ssri/Paxil_murder.htm
Zoloft and Prozac are also mentioned.

http://www.communicationagents.com/sepp/2004/08/26/paxil_zoloft_xantax_drug_induced_violence.htm

http://injury-law.freeadvice.com/drug-toxic_chemicals/paxil_side_effects_and_uses.htm

I've never blamed the parents here. I have no evidence the parents did anything wrong. And I don't believe in the bad parents equals bad kids theory. In that case we would have a lot more bad kids than we do! IMO a bad childhood doesn't give you a free pass to crime. You have a choice to make. I've always had a tough stance on crime, but it got even tougher after my cousin was murdered in '08. His killers were career criminals/drug users. All had "bad" childhoods. WHO CARES. All plea bargained and got 25 - life with no possibility of parole for 25 years. And due to the age of a couple I don't expect them to get out. God willing I will be there for their parole hearings in 24 years and I can speak for my cousin and his parents who probably will no longer be living. Anyway, sorry to get off topic...

The US has a huge problem with the mentally ill roaming the streets with no help and no meds. I realize meds are controversial, especially in children. Not everyone can be helped without meds, some people are on the wrong meds, the wrong doses, etc. I don't think there is a one size fits all for psych drugs. But as everyone knows we can't force people to take their meds! If we allow the criminally insane/psychotics into the streets because they got treatment after killing someone (or seriously injuring someone, which IMO is a predictor of future violence just as much as murder), and they ditch their meds and/or therapy, who loses? Society. I don't see an answer other than locking them up in a structured environment. If that means building more hospitals and centers, then maybe that is where "job creation" stimulus dollars need to go! I'm sorry this "kid" is only 17. We wouldn't have this discussion in a few months when he is 18. He'd be going to prison and/or a psych lock up for life.

RLynne--You stated my same thoughts very eloquently. Until someone has lived with someone with severe and/or sudden onset mental illness, you just can't imagine it. One day your son or daughter will give you a kiss and help with the dishes and the next night you'll find them cutting or hallucinating or....killing. I really think that we must step back and look at the whole picture. If it doesn't make sense, if the act is totally out of character, something isn't right. The pieces don't add up. And you are so right, RLynne, pleading insanity is no walk in the park.

Insanity is the last world that any of us want to live in--personally or by proxy. I've visited my son scores of times in lock up at the old Oregon State Hospital (yes, where they filmed "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest") and that was no way for children to live.

Chicagofa13, I don't think you're a "meanie". I think you have a right to your opinion and I value reading it. However I don't agree with you in this case. I appreciate your plain spoken opinion and think you have some good points. I also know that you are fighting like hell for everyone's safety. You are tired, just like we all are, of coming on to this board and reading about these tragedies.

In all my years of studying childhood development and the effects of trauma (abuse, loss, multiple moves, illness) on children, I've learned that very very few children are truly "born evil". I use that term as others have chosen it but I abhor it. I'd rather say "damaged". If a child is truly born with no moral compass, I would ask everyone to look closely at their pre-natal and peri-natal experiences. Were they drug exposed? Did they experience violence through their mother's serotonin levels while in the womb? Did they bond with a care-giver from day one?

These are the sorts of things that can cause a child to have no compass, no tempering valve, no understanding of consequences, no sense of right and wrong. This is Attachment Disorder, the most devastating diagnosis of all time. Literally, unfixable. Not evil, but broken or damaged.

This child can only care for himself as he has been programed to not trust that anyone will care for him. As an infant, when he's hungry, he goes unfed. When he's wet or cold, he's not warmed. We've seen through countless studies that this destroys the human spirit. There's no bootstraps to pull oneself up by. There's actually just a hollow core. If that is what you mean by "born evil", I will agree that some children and adults fit that category. They drew the short straw through no fault of their own. This is Conduct Disorder, Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Early Onset Bipolar.

No healthy infant chooses evil over warm arms, smiles, and comfort. When we discover these children, we need to work our butts off to reach out to those parents through early intervention programs and make sure that every single child who is born gets their birthright--love and safety. If the baby is already here, we need to work like crazy to build trust and bonding. If we don't, we will all pay down the road. I know this to be a fact. I live it everyday.

But that's not what seems to be happening here. I noticed the quotes below in this article:

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/AB/20091204/NEWS0107/312040022/Teen+pleads+not+guilty

"Though his parents withdrew him from Rising Sun High School Nov. 16, some of Andrew’s classmates attended the hearing."

"According to court records, the parents were at work Saturday night. Andrew and Conner were at home alone. The brothers started wrestling."

"He said the Conley family was “very structured. They did family things. They took vacations. They would come to New York to visit family. We went bowling, and Conner had a great time.”

Let's look at this new info. The parents withdrew Andrew from school. They made some sort of plan in reaction to his cutting. We don't know what it was yet. I think it is entirely possible that he saw a therapist and was put on some meds. Even though two weeks went by (a lifetime for teens), friends attended his hearing. Those words are telling. Andrew had friends. Teens with Conduct Disorder do not. My guess is that these friends are reeling and trying to make sense of what happened to their classmate.

Next, we have the boys' parents leaving the children home alone. That tells me that they didn't sense any danger. Let me assure you that if Andrew exhibited Conduct Disorder or any long term mental health issue, that action would surprise me greatly given what is described in the next quote. The family was structured. They did things together. It sounds as if this mom and this dad were doing just what all good parents do.

We might, in hindsight, wonder what they were naively thinking if Andrew had just been diagnosed with depression or another illness. We have to remember, though, that not every parent out there is like me who gets chance after chance to get it right and can write a book on the "management of the traumatized child". This was there oldest son.

Parents always want to hope for the best. My guess is that nothing would have ever given them cause to worry about Conner's safety or they wouldn't have left them alone. Look at the way the little guy is described--smart and personable. He didn't get that way in a vacuum. It's likely that he had good parenting, good brothering, and a loving extended family. Note that a grandmother's house is mentioned which was a frequent child care option.

I strongly feel that Andrew's and Conner's friends and classmates need to be watched carefully as a trauma like this is known to have a major "ripple" effect on other children and teens. It is likely that we'll see more depression, cutting, acting out. This school and community are going to have their hands full for a long time.

I fully realize that none of us have the answers or the whole story and probably never will. Respectfully discussing these distressing and tragic events and debating our societal responsibilities is the healthiest thing we can possibly do. I know that all of us turn away from this forum and look at our loved ones and our communities with opened eyes. We are wiser for having examined these stories.

I respect your opinions also, but I think we disagree in that I believe some people are just born evil. Something is wrong in the brain, where it goes wrong I don't know. Just like physical problems are present at birth, I think mental problems can be too.

As I said before, I am not blaming the parents here or in other cases. Bad parents are NOT an excuse for bad behavior. And nothing I've seen says these are bad parents!

PS...I'm from Oregon so I know of the OSH. You are right, it's not a good place to be.

The US has a huge problem with the mentally ill roaming the streets with no help and no meds. I realize meds are controversial, especially in children. Not everyone can be helped without meds, some people are on the wrong meds, the wrong doses, etc. I don't think there is a one size fits all for psych drugs. But as everyone knows we can't force people to take their meds! If we allow the criminally insane/psychotics into the streets because they got treatment after killing someone (or seriously injuring someone, which IMO is a predictor of future violence just as much as murder), and they ditch their meds and/or therapy, who loses? Society. I don't see an answer other than locking them up in a structured environment. If that means building more hospitals and centers, then maybe that is where "job creation" stimulus dollars need to go!

ITA with you!! I wish more people realized that meds will only work if you take the right ones at the right times. They need frequent adjustment. People who live on the fringes of society just don't have the luxury of this type of help.

We have a developmentally disabled daughter (IQ of 63) who is a prostitute. The best thing we ever did is to get her on Implanan--a birth control devise which is implanted in the upper arm. It works for 3 years. Yes, she has every STD possible, but she's not making babies. (Please believe me when I say that I adore this girl but worry myself sick about her).

I keep wondering when/if they will develop this sort of medication "delivery" for those with severe mental illness. I sympathize with those who suffer from the side effects of these meds and get very angry with people who cavalierly say "just take your meds". Well, that's not so easy if they make you suffer headaches, constant hunger, dizziness, or stomach upset. Who among us wouldn't balk or skip a dose?

I think we need to step back, as a society, and take a long hard look at the mentally ill. We need some form of drop in centers or shelters where people can get support and help and direction. They need case management if they don't have family willing or able to help. It's only then that we'll all feel a little safer. It's also the only humane way to respond. If we don't take care of our at-risk children and our mentally ill, our society is going to collapse around us.

Don't you think that it's a bit like the wild dog at the door? We could shoot it and put it out of its misery and ensure that our family is safe from it. But is that kind or moral? Wouldn't it be better for all if we fed it, tamed it, taught it decent manners, and then gave it a meaningful task to do?

And before several of you get up in arms, I want to fully agree that a few of those wild dogs do need to be shot and others rounded up and penned...forever. Not all but some. I do agree on that point.

I'm a bleeding heart but I'm not naive.

I don't blame the parents. They were faced with a situation that is impossible to know how to cope with. I have never seen "handling a mentally ill teen" in any parenting book. All they could do would be to work with the professionals, take their advice and hope they were advising them correctly.

MsIzzy I like your idea of the drop in center for the mentally ill. And yes, I believe that they should have caseworkers assigned much like they do for the developmentally handicapped. Mental health treatment needs to be more available and financially available. I was interested to get a letter from my health ins. recently. Up till now my health ins paid at one percentage rate for medical care. But a lower percentage rate for mental health care. To me that is discriminating against the handicapped. It is an illness that they cover, so to pay a lower rate they are discriminating against the mentally ill. The letter I got indicated that they will now be paying the same rate for physical or mental illness. I believe someone sued for discrimination in order to get that.

My discussion of the meds is not to indicate that I am against giving the meds. But parents should be fully informed of the possible side effects and advised of how to get immediate help when their teen is on them. They should be advised of what could happen and what to do about it. I have taken Paxil, and was never advised of this (and when I asked, I was told it only happened with teens. Reading about it now I find that it is adults also.) But yes, sometimes it is necessary to give the meds. And not everyone reacts badly to them. But when on the meds they should be more closely monitored.

I probably sound like a real meanie, but I think a lot of these kids are just EVIL. Sociopaths, psychopaths, whatever you want to call them. I am not going to buy into the "illness du jour", pardon my French. Not everyone needs a pill and a hug to fix them. Some of them need to be locked away. Forever. For their own good and mainly, for OURS. OTOH, since I am so mean, it might surprise all of you that I am pretty much anti-DP. I think too many mistakes are made and we have killed too many innocent people. But I am 100 percent LWOP. And LWOP means LWOP. I don't care if you are under 18. I have no issues locking up a psycho child.

I am relieved to hear the parents stayed away from his hearing and were at the viewing.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34279295/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/

His parents were at a viewing for his brother Conner Conley's body and did not attend the hearing.

I agree.

I don't think this kid is legally insane but I do think he is evil to the core.

No doctor or scientist has learned how to create a conscience inside of a human being that doesn't have one. It just isn't doable imo. That is like trying to bring life to the dead. These type of killers are what they are. They have absolutely no regards for human life. They are emotionless, remorseless, unfeeling. To them their horrendous murders are just to satisfy themselves and their own twisted fantasies. The closest emotion they may have is the feeling of empowerment over their vulnerable victims imo.

I don't think it bothered this kid one second when his own little brother begged him to stop. In fact imo that excited him even more.

We have seen these type of murderers before. Those who fantasize about murdering someone and then carry it out. Society needs to be protected from these evil doers.

This kid needs to be locked up in prison for life imo.

imo

Concerning the costs of psychotropic medications....I don't think the uninitiated have any idea. Most of my children with disabilities had full medical cards due to their special needs adoptive status (a full medical card is an entitlement of the Child Welfare Act of 1980 for any special needs adopted child).

However, think about this. When that child reaches the age of 18 (or 21 in a few enlightened states) that medical card ceases to be. Our son who took multiple meds for Conduct Disorder and Oppositional Defiant Disorder had to be weaned off them as he approached 18. There was no way that he or our family was going to be able to maintain the $350/month pharmaceutical bill. He's totally unmedicated now. Does that scare me? You bet it does!!

Many, many people do not realize that the psychotropic and anti-psychotic drugs can be had for free through patient assistance programs offered by the drug companies. However, unless you have a Mom or a dedicated social worker, the paper-work is daunting. It's just too much work when you are already struggling with life and a mental illness.

I guess my point is that we just can't turn away from the people on the fringe or on the street corner. Giving them a dollar or a hamburger isn't going to help for long. Locking them up in horrid state institutions is inhumane. There's got to be a better way.

Live with a person who is mentally ill for a month on his meds and then try a month off. You'll see just what I'm talking about. It's truly no different than migraine meds, blood pressure meds, thyroid meds. They can all be vital to health. It is absolutely unacceptable that so many people do not have access to the medications necessary to live a productive life.

Mysteriew, you are so right. There must be parity for mental health care. Many states have legislated it but it only applies to group plans. Those who are self employed or have private insurance have to pay out of pocket.

Call your local pharmacy and check on the price of Depakote, lithium, Risperidol, Lamictal, or Trazadone. Just a warning, though, sit down before you call. It's shocking. And let's remember when most mental illness is diagnosed--in the late teens to late twenties. Yeah, that's a group that has great access to insurance. O/T, I know, but still pertinent IMO.

I agree.

I don't think this kid is legally insane but I do think he is evil to the core.

No doctor or scientist has learned how to create a conscience inside of a human being that doesn't have one. It just isn't doable imo. That is like trying to bring life to the dead. These type of killers are what they are. They have absolutely no regards for human life. They are emotionless, remorseless, unfeeling. To them their horrendous murders are just to satisfy themselves and their own twisted fantasies. The closest emotion they may have is the feeling of empowerment over their vulnerable victims imo.

I don't think it bothered this kid one second when his own little brother begged him to stop. In fact imo that excited him even more.

We have seen these type of murderers before. Those who fantasize about murdering someone and then carry it out. Society needs to be protected from these evil doers.

This kid needs to be locked up in prison for life imo.

imo

Yes he killed his brother. Yes, he hid Conner's remains. But why do you think he went to police and reported the murder? Before anyone even knew Conner was missing.

To me that seems like remorse. And he apparently didn't lie about what happened. He didn't deny it, he didn't try to blame someone else and he didn't force LE to come up with the evidence before he confessed. LE only knew about the murder and about where to find Conner because he told them. Things different than a sociopath usually will do. To me, those are things that show that just maybe this kid isn't a sociopath. Just maybe there are other issues to consider. Just maybe a possibility that the kid can be rehabilitated.

Yes he killed his brother. Yes, he hid Conner's remains. But why do you think he went to police and reported the murder? Before anyone even knew Conner was missing.

To me that seems like remorse. And he apparently didn't lie about what happened. He didn't deny it, he didn't try to blame someone else and he didn't force LE to come up with the evidence before he confessed. LE only knew about the murder and about where to find Conner because he told them. Things different than a sociopath usually will do. To me, those are things that show that just maybe this kid isn't a sociopath. Just maybe there are other issues to consider. Just maybe a possibility that the kid can be rehabilitated.

I cant predict what a killer may do afterward. Mario McNeil who is accused of kidnapping, raping and murdering Shaniya Davis also went in and turned himself into LE. I just read of another case in AZ where a teenager walked into the police department and confessed that he had murdered three men at different times.

Maybe he knew he was going to be found out anyway. Maybe he was proud of what he did and wanted them to know what he had done all by himself. Maybe he knew that others already knew he had talked about wanting to kill someone. Maybe he knew his brother would soon be missed and suspicions would immediately be on him. I really couldn't say what is in the mind of a killer afterward but he talked of his brother's murder as if he was chatting about the weather. Maybe he wanted it known he had completed his fantasy and now had killed someone like he wanted.

I think he had been planning this for awhile and when the opportunity arose he took it which a sociopath will do.

IMO, he has no conscience. No one with a conscience could sit there and talk about his brother's death as if it meant nothing to him at all. Imo the reason he could and be so monotone is because he doesn't feel anything and it didnt mean a thing to him that his brother was dead by his hands.

How he came to be this way is irrelevant to me. He is just part of many teenagers today who are doing the most horrific murders imaginable and they too show no remorse. Whether he became this way by the way of nature or nurture........or both... he is a disconnected human and certainly should never be allowed to walk the streets again.

If the state wants to see if he can be "fixed" then he can receive therapy and meds behind bars in prison.

imo

Lock him up and throw away the key, I am sick after reading the full details:

The two brothers were wrestling while their parents were at work. Conley put Conner in a headlock, causing the younger boy to pass out and fall to the floor. Conley dragged Conner to kitchen, put on a pair of gloves and choked the boy for about 20 minutes until he noticed blood flowing from Conner's nose and mouth. Conley put a plastic bag over his brother's head, secured it with black electrical tape, and dragged the body by its feet down steps to the basement and then from the home to his car. Conley struck Conner's head on the ground several times before putting the body in the trunk of the car.
With the body still in the trunk, Conley drove to his girlfriend's house and gave her a sweetheart ring.

http://news.aol.com/article/accused-strangler-andrew-conley-says-he/800325The

That is absolutely beyond chilling.

imo

Mysteriew--I wanted to point out that there is a plethora of current books at the library and the book store for parents of mentally ill teens and children. I just checked Amazon and was going to post some but there are hundreds.

Choose the disability/challenge you are dealing with; bipolar, schizophrenia, depression, eating disorders, cutting, drug abuse, bullying and there are many to choose from. Another idea for parents is to go to your school and ask if they have a parent's lending library. Many do.

I also cannot recommend NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Health) highly enough. They offer a fabulous program:

"A free 12-week course for family caregivers of individuals with severe mental illnesses that discusses the clinical treatment of these illnesses and teaches the knowledge and skills that family members need to cope more effectively."

and support groups for a variety of different mental health challenges. I can't say enough good about this group. Take a moment and check out their website:

http://www.nami.org/

It's very welcoming and easy to access. Put it in your bookmarks as you never know when you might need it.

MsIzzy thanks but I'm not dealing with it now. But have in the past and have known others to be dealing with it. I do know the shock and helplessness a parent must feel when it happens, and how when it happens, time and quick answers are the one thing you need and don't have.

BTW another resource for crisis type help is most communities have a suicide crisis line and they can help with many of the mental illness type emergencies, not just suicide.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unique sky 6793
Back