IN - Couple charged with abandonment of adopted child after legally changing her age, Sept 2019 #2 *not guilty*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
It's crazy how the parents captured some of their verbal/psychological of this child.
I wondered too why he would have filmed and shared the videos of himself being so awful to her but maybe they were just found during the investigation and Discovery ID were able to use them without his permission. Then again he is extremely delusional so perhaps doesn't realize how badly he comes across scolding her over doughnuts and deleting her contacts!

I think he filmed himself berating her so he could show Kristine how he was managing the situation. They were obvious very nervous about her talking to other people.

Who knows. People see what they want to see. Michael had multiple defense lawyers for his trial-must have cost him a pretty penny. At one point of the documentary, his defense lawyer thinks that video of Natalia "running" across the street (as far as I am concerned she is seen hobbling around, not running-and she also looks very young) or dragging a large trash can proves she was capable. Did they actually end up showing that to the jury thinking it was great evidence of how capable Natalia was to be left on her own? Well, either way, he was found not guilty.

She isn't just re-aged in Marion County, though.
So I don't get it. I don't get how a court can just re-age a child by 14 age, make that child a legal adult, without child's interests being represented, and then there appears to be no way to get that corrected.
This is probably an Indiana Supreme Court issue, and I don't know if Natalia s attorney(s) (she has one), are in fact qualified to argue in front of them.

I mean, I'm sure her lawyer is competent and a fine, caring person; not least of my reasons for stating this being, that he almost assuredly is not getting paid for his intervention on her behalf.

Did the list of age-appropriate requirements from Boston General involve 'the leg-breaking surgery, do we know? If so, that would explain the Barnett's needing to get her out of their hair.

One of my dear friends from college is a little person, and she once described a surgeon, telling her about this super fun 'surgery' at I think age 16... sometimes even people of average height, hoping to gain an inch or two, elect to go through this. there was a story about vain men doing it in I think GQ a couple of years ago, which is absolutely insane to me... anyway, as you may imagine, it is a long hideous operation with a long, hideous convalescence wherein you are bedbound.

It takes the better part of a year, maybe two: And you have to be homeschooled during it.

Nothing I have heard about the Barnett's to date, indicates to me that they would be interested in going through anything of the kind for or with her: and if Canada isn't going to pay for it like Indiana might, well, then IMO we have our answers.

I dont know. They seemed pretty confident it demonstrated she was not that disabled? Bizarre. She was clearly struggling. And apart from that she looked absolutely tiny and childlike in those videos compared to how she was in court that day, which you would think would tip the jurors off that the neglect was more egregious than presented.

I dont know. They seemed pretty confident it demonstrated she was not that disabled? Bizarre. She was clearly struggling. And apart from that she looked absolutely tiny and childlike in those videos compared to how she was in court that day, which you would think would tip the jurors off that the neglect was more egregious than presented.
Yep. My feelings exactly. People see what they want to see. I wonder if they actually ended up showing what they beleived was great evidence at trial.

This is probably an Indiana Supreme Court issue, and I don't know if Natalia s attorney(s) (she has one), are in fact qualified to argue in front of them.

I mean, I'm sure her lawyer is competent and a fine, caring person; not least of my reasons for stating this being, that he almost assuredly is not getting paid for his intervention on her behalf.

Did the list of age-appropriate requirements from Boston General involve 'the leg-breaking surgery, do we know? If so, that would explain the Barnett's needing to get her out of their hair.

One of my dear friends from college is a little person, and she once described a surgeon, telling her about this super fun 'surgery' at I think age 16... sometimes even people of average height, hoping to gain an inch or two, elect to go through this. there was a story about vain men doing it in I think GQ a couple of years ago, which is absolutely insane to me... anyway, as you may imagine, it is a long hideous operation with a long, hideous convalescence wherein you are bedbound.

It takes the better part of a year, maybe two: And you have to be homeschooled during it.

Nothing I have heard about the Barnett's to date, indicates to me that they would be interested in going through anything of the kind for or with her: and if Canada isn't going to pay for it like Indiana might, well, then IMO we have our answers.
It was upheld by the supreme court of Indiana as well. As far as the state of Indiana is concerned, Natalia's re-aging into an adult is written in stone. It doesn't matter how old you actually are, it matters how old the probate court rules you are, don't you know? Even if you were in the hospital when court re-ages you, and had no one representing your interests.

Some time ago, a lawyer tried to overturn the re-aging but wasn't successful. So yes, as far as Indiana is concerned, she is an adult. Even though the court turned her into an adult without her interests being represented.

“The most egregious part of it is that this child was turned into an adult without any representation, without any due process safeguards being instituted by that court,” Troemel said Thursday morning."

In one situation, a Tippeecanoe County attorney filed to overturn the decision -- in Tippeecanoe County where she lives.

Clever judge (and probably right) said hs court could not act on the Marion County order.

Mighty clever, then, to leave her in Tippeecanoe County....jmho
Apparently the lawyer then tried to overturn the re-aging in Marion after that. Michael showed up with his lawyer at that hearing.
Re-aging was not reversed. So as far as Indiana is concerned, she is an adult. The court made her into one overnight, without her interests being represented, but now it's written in stone and can not be undone. I wish she could civilly sue the judges, but I am pretty sure judges are legally protected. How could a court re-age the child overnight, without child even being there? And then refuse to fix it? Maybe there others she could civilly sue? Or is she going to run into the same problem prosecution run into? She was legally made into an adult, therefore she is? She can not argue she was a child?

"Troemel then filed with the Marion Superior 8 and headed to a hearing there with the girl and Sorenson."

Well, trial lawyers have to 'seem' confident to fool the public. Lots of court cases are simple theater.

Also, their clients are the same people who represented 'Natalia losing her balance upon a hike and reeling against me' as 'Natalia tried to kill me'... Kristine displays the level of pathological brass I can only remember last being displayed in testimony by Amber Heard.

The process may be cumbersome and take time, but it isn’t impossible. People have issues with social security, adoption, name changes, mixing of identification with other people… it happens and it can be fixed.

As of 2019 Natalia was living with two adults who are paying for her expenses, as per the Dr. Phil show, and she says she is 16. She was a minor.
So Who counted her as a dependent for tax purposes?

If she was considered an independent minor- she would have been able to apply for federal loans or grants to pay for college. But, since she legally was robbed off all of her teen years being an independent minor she was always ineligible.
That is a huge civil rights violation. As an adopted person with physical disability, who appears to be bright, college and an education is how she will be able to care for herself financially. She was robbed of that opportunity.

The only reason it hasn’t been fixed is she hasn’t the knowledge or legal representation to get attention on the issue and get it done. So long as her credibility is in question- taking her case is risky.
Someone will take the chance, I hope

JMO
Probably the best thing she could hope for is being taken up by the ACLU or similar pro bono. They definitely have the intimidation/clout factor to move some sizable boulders... and some bad press incentive against the jerks too.

Probably the best thing she could hope for is being taken up by the ACLU or similar pro bono. They definitely have the intimidation/clout factor to move some sizable boulders... and some bad press incentive against the jerks too.
Well, she is an adult either way now. So over-turning the re-aging won't turn her back into the child.

I wonder if she could start by using her Ukrainian birth certificate & immigration papers to obtain a state non-driver's license?

IDK how recognizable she is -- we are all sorta different here....

Might have to go to another state.

Start from there, like someone building a new false identity -- but building an accurate one?

jmho

I wonder if she could start by using her Ukrainian birth certificate & immigration papers to obtain a state non-driver's license?

IDK how recognizable she is -- we are all sorta different here....

Might have to go to another state.

Start from there, like someone building a new false identity -- but building an accurate one?

jmho
I believe the family she is now with is no longer in Indiana. I've seen somewhere they moved to Michigan.

I couldn't help but laugh when Michael complained in the series how Natalia met her new family, and that new family got her disability payments re-routed (cause Michael was getting that money and then giving them to Natalia). Well, you know, you had court to re-age her into an adult, and an adult can do whatever this adult pleases with the money. Altough it doesn't appear Natalia had a clue what to do with the money. Not surprising considering she was a child. Thankfully the new family wasn't intimidated at all. But they couldn't become her legal guardians or enroll her in school because of her re-aging into an adult.

I couldn't help but laugh when Michael complained in the series how Natalia met her new family, and that new family got her disability payments re-routed (cause Michael was getting that money and then giving them to Natalia). Well, you know, you had court to re-age her into an adult, and an adult can do whatever this adult pleases with the money. Altough it doesn't appear Natalia had a clue what to do with the money. Not surprising considering she was a child. Thankfully the new family wasn't intimidated at all. But they couldn't become her legal guardians or enroll her in school because of her re-aging into an adult.
I wonder just how well they were taking care of her or spending the money on her. She didn't have any food and couldn't walk to the store and back due to her disability. She was without electricity for a few days. She met the Man's because she was asking people for food. The GED program called child services because they could see that she needed help. I don't think that Natalia was getting a dime of her disability payments from MB.

They could have got her another homemaker. The state would have paid for it just as they paid for it when she lived in her first apartment.

She should have never been left alone in the apartment to begin with. Children generally aren't allowed to live on their own. They went to court to re-age her into an adult, but obviously that wouldn't make her into an actual adult.
I don't think she knew how to pay bills, etc.
She couldn't cook either. Children generally don't. But since court legally re-aged her, CPS couldn't investigate, and so on.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back