IN - Couple charged with abandonment of adopted child after legally changing her age, Sept 2019

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This case is off topic but fascinating considering the battle of the experts

I’d imagine it’s too hot of a case topic to actually discuss - my point is only without concrete proof it’s a battle of “experts” & divorcing parents.

An awful place for ANY kid to be stuck in the middle of.
For his/her well being - the child should be removed from both parents and allowed to be a child.
WATCH – James Younger at 3 Years: ‘Mommy Tells Me I’m a Girl’

That dad is very leading.

Yes. That’s what they set her up with. It’s the LARA program. It helps them get their GED, learn English and life skills. It also enables them to undergo testing to determine what they need to work on and whether they’re ready for college.

There is no placement test necessary to enroll:

Our Services | Lafayette Adult Resource Academy
I also perused the LARA website. I do not see anything specifically about what competency is necessary for enrollment in classes. I’m still looking for the reporting who showed what claimed to be a statement from LARA concerning testing, classes and tutoring. Although not absolute proof, I did find this on insider, which recaps what I remember seeing in another news report (that a Junior high level is necessary and a tutor will help a student who does not yet have that level of competency):
E0B28CBC-8C16-44F8-9C05-12FC7445346A.png

I give them the benefit of the doubt because I have yet to see proof they deliberately conspired to knowingly abandon a vulnerable disabled 11 year old child.

Like it or not, a jury will be instructed to do the same. PRESUMPTION OF INNOCENCE still matters at trial.

This isn’t going to be a case determined by a preponderance of evidence. It’s a criminal trial.
I find it disconcerting that you do not seem to want to extend that same presumption to NB. You seem to believe the allegations they have made against her without proof. I’m not talking simply her age, but the host of other accusations they have leveled against her.

I also perused the LARA website. I do not see anything specifically about what competency is necessary for enrollment in classes. I’m still looking for the reporting who showed what claimed to be a statement from LARA concerning testing, classes and tutoring. Although not absolute proof, I did find this on insider, which recaps what I remember seeing in another news report (that a Junior high level is necessary and a tutor will help a student who does not yet have that level of competency):
View attachment 210936

My personal schooling life was thrown into an uproar when I changed schools in 7th grade, and my new guidance counselor thought it apparently was not possible for people to be superbly gifted in English, yet average to poor in mathematics skills. He decided that I had heretofore been "lazy", and that it would be no problem to vault me mid-year into the 7th grade gifted math class, which was in the middle of algebra (if I recall correctly, in my old school we had been doing complex equations with numerals-only, and I had been struggling with dividing by improper fractions).

As you might imagine, it was a sad rout, and that was only skipping me a total of, what, two grades' worth of math? I understood nothing. "Solve for x"? What are these letters doing in the middle of my numbers?" My brain literally meshed into gridlock the minute any authority figure looked at me expectantly, and worse 1:1, and said "OK, now solve this problem." My brain was literally frozen. I can't imagine what it would be like if I had had to make up 6 grades' worth of material, on any subject.

Someone had to write the scripts for the medication she was on. I’m going to assume they were psychotropic.
Barnett’s also said she had a therapist IIRC?
Kristine first said that when NB was discharged from the hospital (this would have been approximately July/August 2012) that she was discharged into a “half way” house. I’m attaching her post to prove these were HER words, not just a reporting of her words). In other reporting, it was stated that Natalia was, after discharge, under the care of Aspire of Indiana. Here is a screenshot of the housing services they provide and it aligns with Kristine’s admission of “half way house.” I think this proves that Natalia WAS NOT truly on her own for a year, before they put her into the LaFayette apt in July 2013. FDE39ADA-5614-4BA5-ACFF-988D63193EBE.png4D9B327E-1343-432E-B4FA-20522FF3A946.png

This case is off topic but fascinating considering the battle of the experts

I’d imagine it’s too hot of a case topic to actually discuss - my point is only without concrete proof it’s a battle of “experts” & divorcing parents.

An awful place for ANY kid to be stuck in the middle of.
For his/her well being - the child should be removed from both parents and allowed to be a child.
WATCH – James Younger at 3 Years: ‘Mommy Tells Me I’m a Girl’
If you want to start another thread, I’d love to discuss the Younger case, but I won’t comment here because I don’t want to derail this thread

Of course NB was deemed by the court to be 22 years old, but IMO that would not give her the general knowledge and math/reading skills necessary to test for and complete adult school studies for a GED.

I don't think she's putting words in your mouth(?) I also read this as you stating or suggesting that she completed the GED.

I find it disconcerting that you do not seem to want to extend that same presumption to NB. You seem to believe the allegations they have made against her without proof. I’m not talking simply her age, but the host of other accusations they have leveled against her.
Natalia isn’t on trial.

My personal schooling life was thrown into an uproar when I changed schools in 7th grade, and my new guidance counselor thought it apparently was not possible for people to be superbly gifted in English, yet average to poor in mathematics skills. He decided that I had heretofore been "lazy", and that it would be no problem to vault me mid-year into the 7th grade gifted math class, which was in the middle of algebra (if I recall correctly, in my old school we had been doing complex equations with numerals-only, and I had been struggling with dividing by improper fractions).

As you might imagine, it was a sad rout, and that was only skipping me a total of, what, two grades' worth of math? I understood nothing. "Solve for x"? What are these letters doing in the middle of my numbers?" My brain literally meshed into gridlock the minute any authority figure looked at me expectantly, and worse 1:1, and said "OK, now solve this problem." My brain was literally frozen. I can't imagine what it would be like if I had had to make up 6 grades' worth of material, on any subject.
I think we may be related!

Kristine first said that when NB was discharged from the hospital (this would have been approximately July/August 2012) that she was discharged into a “half way” house. I’m attaching her post to prove these were HER words, not just a reporting of her words). In other reporting, it was stated that Natalia was, after discharge, under the care of Aspire of Indiana. Here is a screenshot of the housing services they provide and it aligns with Kristine’s admission of “half way house.” I think this proves that Natalia WAS NOT truly on her own for a year, before they put her into the LaFayette apt in July 2013. View attachment 210941View attachment 210942

Barnette accuses them of making her homeless AND MENTALLY ILL? lol Weird.

I never stated that. Don't put words in my mouth. I said that claims that NB was now unable to work on her GED are false drama because programs are widely available in Indiana. NB can work on that GED all she wants with her current legal age, and it's free.

No problem. It sure seemed to me that was what you were inferring:

Doesn’t it seem strange to anyone else that an 11 year old child with her initial language barriers, cultural displacement, multiple placement disruptions, The Barnett's FAILURE to provide education as they're charged...somehow she tested into an ADULT EDUCATION CLASS & fooled everyone there?

BBM.

Yes ITA
Students at the adult center must be 18, and if 16+ only with parent-guardian approval. Of course NB was deemed by the court to be 22 years old, but IMO that would not give her the general knowledge and math/reading skills necessary to test for and complete adult school studies for a GED.

Also early reports that NB couldn't even get a GED because of the age change are false drama. Indiana has a large program exactly for this purpose of helping adults learn English as a second language, acquire their GED, and also acquire some job training.

B and UBM.

So to be clear, there is nothing to suggest she had to test to get into this adult ed facility and there is zero evidence she tested for or completed a GED. Thus, the suspicion that an 11 year old with all her history couldn't do all that, is meaningless because there's nothing to suggest she did any of that. Right?

View attachment 210936

Thanks for the find. Yeah for all we know that came from the Barnetts. Nothing indicates that on the site. And it's not my experience.

I give them the benefit of the doubt because I have yet to see proof they deliberately conspired to knowingly abandon a vulnerable disabled 11 year old child.

Like it or not, a jury will be instructed to do the same. PRESUMPTION OF INNOCENCE still matters at trial.

This isn’t going to be a case determined by a preponderance of evidence. It’s a criminal trial.

Again, the dad admitted to an officer knowing the kid was a kid when they left her and that his wife told her to lie about her age. In any other case that would satisfy the beyond a reasonable doubt burden for you. I've known you for years. Why not this one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member