GUILTY IN - DARREN DEON VANN, 43, Gary, body count at seven, more expected

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The details of the 2007 assault are disturbing. So he was still married at the time, because per bessie's link his ex-wife says they divorced in 2011.

(He seems to have been bouncing back and forth between Austin and Gary/Hammond. Assault in Gary in 2004, assault in Austin in 2007, etc. It's a little confusing at the present moment to discern where he was, and when. Hopefully more details will trickle out to help with that.)

I came here as soon as I saw this on my Twitter feed and that was my first thought. But I admit I think of her whenever I see something going on in IN. :(

Hi, Jane. He can't be responsible for Lauren because he was incarcerated 2009-2013, and after reading the indictment, I'm relieved. There's still hope that Lauren's fate was less horrific.

Hi, Jane. He can't be responsible for Lauren because he was incarcerated 2009-2013, and after reading the indictment, I'm relieved. There's still hope that Lauren's fate was less horrific.

Ohhhhh for goodness sake, I guess my reading comprehension is ��. You're right, of course.

Sounds like he knew there was no way out of this murder he just got caught for, and decided that he either wanted to get it all off his chest or that he wanted to admit to it all and get some notoriety out of it.

He reminds me a LOT of Gary Ridgeway, from his choice of victim to the former wife who didn't think he could be violent. Only difference is that this guy may have escalated from sexual assault only to murder.

Hi Everyone!

I just wanted to pop in because this is local to me and I can give a little bit of insight into the general area. I don't live in NWI (Northwest Indiana) and I haven't for quite some time, but I'm in Chicago and I lived in Hammond until I was in Middle School when my mother moved us out. My grandmother still had a home in Hammond before she died. I have friends and know many people in from Gary and a few that are still hold outs there. Not so much in the city proper, but out near the lake...not that it makes a bit of difference in that area.

Hammond in general has done nothing but go down hill for the last 20 years or so. It's always been a working class town, my grandfather (God rest him) was a police Lieutenant there. Back in the day, it was not a bad place to live. Now, it's no better than a lot of the places on the South side of the city. **That is saying something because only the very worst crimes make the news here, because there is SO much** The only exception is the crime is not as well reported as it is in Chicago. This goes from the Southeast side of the city all the way around the lake to Gary. Gary has been bad since I was a little girl in the mid 80s.

A poster above stated correctly that when the steel mills closed the whole place went to he!!. This is no joke. While I can still smell a steel mill from miles around, I have no inclination to even be in the vicinity of NWI. It's a scary place these days where awful things happen, a lot. Please don't get me wrong, there are still hardworking good people there trying to hold strong, but if they don't go further south or east, they are in a prime position to be a victim of a number of crimes.

Gary is a wasteland. I'm not exaggerating this at all. These abandoned homes that these poor women were found in are an example of hundreds, if not thousands of abandoned homes. Entire neighborhoods are empty save for a few families holding on to their homes. Gary has a plan in place and is currently demolishing homes that have been abandoned and condemned, I have no idea what processes they go through prior to bringing in the heavy equipment and I don't know what's done with the rubble.

Gary Indiana would be a perfect dumping ground for this thing, or any others like him. I wonder how many homes have been demolished this summer that weren't given a proper going over, there are SO MANY of them. There could be so many more of these poor women, waiting to be found, or already hauled away in demolition debris. There are also surrounding communities to take into account. Merriville, Hobart, East Chicago in Indiana. Lansing, Lynwood, Glenwood, Chicago Heights, South Holland, Harvey, Calumet City...the list in Illinois, goes on and on and on. These towns also have a plethora of abandoned properties and a rather high level of crime.

My DH thinks he's a bad azz for growing up on the Northwest Side of Chicago. When we go to visit my family and have to get off the highway for any reason, he is a bit wide eyed and panicked. It's a very, very scary and sad place once you get past Kennedy Avenue on the Borman (I80/94). It's not entirely pleasant prior to that either. :'(

This monster has been there for awhile, doing as he pleased and who knows what he not telling LE.

There is also a very high concentration of strip clubs in any of the above areas...which would probably include this freaks' targeted victim.

:rose: :rose: :rose: for all the families that are hurting tonight and I hope that justice is done for all of these women.

why do you think this could be a possibility? did he live or travel to her area or vice versa?

Could Dr. Teleka Patrick who was found after having gone missing from Kalamazoo (MI) been among this serial killer's victims?

I was thinking about the bouncing around. Presumably he had some type of family in both areas. Could he have been committing murders in one area and if the body was found then leaving the state? Just so he could watch what was happening from a distance?

Hi Everyone!

I just wanted to pop in because this is local to me and I can give a little bit of insight into the general area.

Thank you, inthedark! Very helpful for those of us who don't live there or have never been there.

Sounds like he knew there was no way out of this murder he just got caught for, and decided that he either wanted to get it all off his chest or that he wanted to admit to it all and get some notoriety out of it.

He reminds me a LOT of Gary Ridgeway, from his choice of victim to the former wife who didn't think he could be violent. Only difference is that this guy may have escalated from sexual assault only to murder.

They said he wanted a deal is why he told them what he has. But he didn't request an attorney. They have also said that he has stopped talking to them.

The details of the 2007 assault are disturbing. So he was still married at the time, because per bessie's link his ex-wife says they divorced in 2011.

(He seems to have been bouncing back and forth between Austin and Gary/Hammond. Assault in Gary in 2004, assault in Austin in 2007, etc. It's a little confusing at the present moment to discern where he was, and when. Hopefully more details will trickle out to help with that.)

Ugh and that leaves a LOT of miles in between IN and TX he could have done just about anything to anyone at any time.

wow. Just that. Subscribed.

28-year-old Teaira Batey was among the bodies found over the weekend in an abandon home in Gary. She went missing in January. Her mother Gloria Cullom said she was mentally disabled. She calls her a sweet person who trusted everyone.

wgntv.com

It's possible that LE wanted to ensure there was no accomplice who would go into deep hiding once Vann's name was announced. Just a guess, but it's one reason LE withholds a suspect's name.

That makes sense. Also, could it be that they wanted to get some unbiased opinions, expressed without being colored by: "He's in trouble. I've got to stand up for him." Or, "I always knew he was a rotten no-good so-and-so."

Apologies. The update is wreaking havoc on my iPad.
From the same article I posted above- Christine Williams named as another victim.

It makes me sad when bodies turn up of missing people and we never had a thread for them here. :( RIP Teaira and Christine

Hardy and three other women have been identified. Doughty and the Lake County Coroner's Office identified two of the women as Teaira Batey, 28, and Christine Williams, 36. Earlier Monday, Chelsea Whittington, a spokeswoman for Gary Mayor Karen Freeman-Wilson, identified the other two as Hardy and Anith Jones, 35, of Merrillville, who had been missing since October 8.

Only Jones had been reported missing, Doughty said.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/20/us/indiana-possible-serial-killer-suspect/index.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meganemma
Back