IN - Emma Sweet, 2, (died), Dad and truck found, Bartholomew Co, 24 Nov 2021 *arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Deputies say they were dispatched to the 1700 block of Blessing Road, but the vehicle was located at a farm lane at the end of Beatty Lane.

I wonder why the 2 different locations. Beatty Lane is north of Blessing Road; I think the gravel pit the searchers mentioned is on Blessing.

What a precious little one and she looks sassy. How very devastating. Has it been reported what he was doing in that area? He may live there; I’m just curious. This is very bizarre. While the situation is tragic regardless of what led to his behavior, I am praying that it was a medical reason, if that makes any sense? I guess I’m thinking about the guilt he will carry if it was drug induced and how much more that will put on the family.
All I've read is some version of how the dad regularly enjoyed off-road driving in the area:

Sheriff Matt Myers said investigators are seeking a search warrant for the truck, but a cursory glance inside did not reveal any new
information about whether 2-year old Emma Sweet was in the truck when it went into the river.

Based on the evidence found at the scene, “one would think that (Jeremy Sweet) was either under the influence, or had a medical condition,” Myers said. “I don’t think a normal individual would have been driving the way he was.”

Family members told investigators Jeremy Sweet often enjoyed off-road driving near the river where his truck was found. Tracks indicate he might have driven off-road for up to two miles before the truck went into the water, the sheriff said.
SEARCHING FOR EMMA: 2-year-olds jacket recovered from river, search continues for missing girl - The Republic News

Deputies say they were dispatched to the 1700 block of Blessing Road, but the vehicle was located at a farm lane at the end of Beatty Lane.

I wonder why the 2 different locations. Beatty Lane is north of Blessing Road; I think the gravel pit the searchers mentioned is on Blessing.

Good Question? Did he drive past the farm and through the trees into the river?
Google Maps

This map shows Blessing Road and the Southern Crossing where Emma's coat was found.
Google Maps

This is my hometown. The way they worded the articles about location is really confusing. I marked on a map where things are to try and make it a little more clear. I circled the 2 locations where I was told he went into the River. Im not sure which one of the 2 spots it was so I circled both. Hope it helps!

Attachments

• A1C2F3B8-0BCF-489A-8CA1-1F40F3858ECF.jpeg
    A1C2F3B8-0BCF-489A-8CA1-1F40F3858ECF.jpeg
    153.9 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Just to clarify a little further…blessing rd. Is on the South/West side of the River. You take highway 11 also known as Jonesville Rd and turn on Blessing rd. It dead-ends at the River. Beatty Lane is on the North/East side of the river and Dead Ends at a farm. If you cut through the farmers field it runs into the River. JS was in the field and somehow entered the River from there. The Duck hunters were on the opposite side of the river and had come in on Blessing rd and saw the Truck from there.

Nothing new but Sheriff Myers says this is probably a recovery effort... :(

“When we first made contact with him yesterday morning it was that he had dropped Emma off at Casey’s. Right after that he says she was on the hood of the car of his vehicle her coat was wet so he took the coat off and that’s where she got swept away,” Sheriff Myers said. “There is really three stories now and none of them match.”

The sheriff also said a syringe was discovered on Sweet at the hospital and his family has told police that he has a history of drug use.
“We want to bring Emma home to her family,” Sheriff Myers said. “I think they know it’s going to be more of a recovering a body I think they — they understand that.”
Emma Sweet search continues

Search resumes tomorrow.

Nothing new but Sheriff Myers says this is probably a recovery effort... :(

“When we first made contact with him yesterday morning it was that he had dropped Emma off at Casey’s. Right after that he says she was on the hood of the car of his vehicle her coat was wet so he took the coat off and that’s where she got swept away,” Sheriff Myers said. “There is really three stories now and none of them match.”

The sheriff also said a syringe was discovered on Sweet at the hospital and his family has told police that he has a history of drug use.
“We want to bring Emma home to her family,” Sheriff Myers said. “I think they know it’s going to be more of a recovering a body I think they — they understand that.”
Emma Sweet search continues

Search resumes tomorrow.
How recent is the history of drug use?
JMO

How recent is the history of drug use?
JMO
Most recent is from May of this year - he was charged with possession of methamphetamine and unlawful possession of a firearm by a serious violent felon. He has a trial date for March 2022.

Prior to that (paraphrased from the article):
2003 he pleaded guilty to a felony count of possession of methamphetamine.
November 2007 sentenced to 7½ years in the Department of Correction with three years suspended for a conviction of running a drug lab. Plus three years probation.
2011, he was charged with multiple drug counts and probation violation. The court sentenced him to serve the three years in the DOC that had been suspended from his 2007 sentence.
October 2015, felony charges of possessing and dealing meth, enhanced due to prior convictions. Court records show he was sentenced to serve no time in the DOC after pleading guilty.
March 2016, a 4½-year sentence, which was suspended. He was placed in Community Corrections and his sentence was stayed as a term of probation with a condition he cooperate with alcohol and drug treatment services.
May 2017 he admitted that he had violated the terms of his probation by using meth and marijuana. He was ordered remanded to the DOC to serve the balance of his previously suspended 4½-year sentence.
August 2018, the court granted a motion to modify his sentence, releasing him from the DOC and placing him again in Community Corrections with the same condition that he cooperate with alcohol and drug treatment services.
March 2021, he was charged with leaving the scene of an accident.
May 2021 he was charged with possession of methamphetamine and unlawful possession of a firearm by a serious violent felon.
He was released a few days after his May arrest on $5,000 cash bond.
SEARCHING FOR EMMA: Girl's jacket recovered near Southern Crossing - The Republic News

@MimosaMornings I really don't know. I have read stuff that can't come here and honestly I can't say it would be extremely helpful. LE said there wasn't anything in the vehicle to seem as this would be a over nighter/whatever.
IMO- I'm thinking he may have taken her with him to buy/do drugs quickly and planned on going back home. They have 2 other older children so I'm thinking he took the youngest ( who wouldn't know what was going on) possibly gave mom a break etc. And all hell happened. The dad is done. I'm praying for a miracle for Emma now! ALL IMO

So, LEO has found Emma's coat one mile from where duck hunters' found the truck in the White River with JS inside. @MsMarple has kindly listed all or most of the father's numerous drug related charges going back as far as 2003. This may sound harsh to some but I feel when anyone is arrested and convicted of meth possession then, they should lose parental rights to their children due to child endangerment.

Emma and her father were reported missing the day before the truck was found and were last seen at 12 p.m. Wednesday.

Toddler missing after father’s truck found in Indiana river

The search for the little girl continues, but police say that JS has changed his story at least twice regarding what happened.

UPDATE: Two-year-old girl missing in southeastern Indiana after father found with hypothermia

Most recent is from May of this year - he was charged with possession of methamphetamine and unlawful possession of a firearm by a serious violent felon. He has a trial date for March 2022.

Prior to that (paraphrased from the article):
2003 he pleaded guilty to a felony count of possession of methamphetamine.
November 2007 sentenced to 7½ years in the Department of Correction with three years suspended for a conviction of running a drug lab. Plus three years probation.
2011, he was charged with multiple drug counts and probation violation. The court sentenced him to serve the three years in the DOC that had been suspended from his 2007 sentence.
October 2015, felony charges of possessing and dealing meth, enhanced due to prior convictions. Court records show he was sentenced to serve no time in the DOC after pleading guilty.
March 2016, a 4½-year sentence, which was suspended. He was placed in Community Corrections and his sentence was stayed as a term of probation with a condition he cooperate with alcohol and drug treatment services.
May 2017 he admitted that he had violated the terms of his probation by using meth and marijuana. He was ordered remanded to the DOC to serve the balance of his previously suspended 4½-year sentence.
August 2018, the court granted a motion to modify his sentence, releasing him from the DOC and placing him again in Community Corrections with the same condition that he cooperate with alcohol and drug treatment services.
March 2021, he was charged with leaving the scene of an accident.
May 2021 he was charged with possession of methamphetamine and unlawful possession of a firearm by a serious violent felon.
He was released a few days after his May arrest on $5,000 cash bond.
SEARCHING FOR EMMA: Girl's jacket recovered near Southern Crossing - The Republic News

How it is possible the court kept patting him on the head, despite his repeated fails? Cannot understand it. Cannot understand either how a dude with such crappy record, topped with possessing a gun, was allowed anywhere near any child. Cannot. Comprehend. That.

I'm not sure @Hexe that's a good question. From what I've seen, they say he's never committed a violent crime. That keeps being repeated when any hard questions are asked.
AND YET
He is currently out on bond for unlawful possession of a firearm by a serious violent felon as well as possession of methamphetamine.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back