IN - Grandfather charged in cruise ship death of toddler Chloe Wiegand #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
David B. on CBS also said, in answer to someone's question on Tw, that they didn't ask about drinking because they had not seen anything in the records to indicate that was a factor. But I still wonder what will turn up.

Oh, and to add... This business about "banging on the glass," well, I hate it. For one thing if I was sitting at a nearby table trying to enjoy a drink I'd be pissed that some little kid was banging away on the glass. It's a cruise ship not a hockey game after all and there are other people wanting to have a good time. But hey, SA couldn't be bothered to use seat belts so why would he care about the comfort of others? MOO.
It's ALLLLLLLMOST as if she was encouraged to do that for a reason. A sick, stupid reason. Like, oh, whoops, she got all cut up. Let's make some money here. I mean, come on. This is becoming a pet peeve of mine. I have it from a sports fan, my DH that in the venues there are signs and even ANNOUNCEMENTS over the PA system to NOT BANG ON THE GLASS. That is mind bogglingly dangerous and stupid. I have no use for these people! Their actions are making me very disgusted and angry!

Toddler slips from grandfather’s arms, falls to her death from 11th floor of Royal Caribbean’s Freedom of the Seas

found the early reference to dangling that was NOT scrubbed yet-
The toddler’s maternal grandfather, identified as Salvatore Anello, was reportedly playfully dangling the child from one of the ship’s port-side windows when he lost his grasp, sending the girl plummeting into an awning before she landed on the concrete dock below. “It’s a very grave scene, very regrettable and tragic,” Elmer Román, an official with the Puerto Rican Department of Public Security, told Puerto Rico’s Primera Hora newspaper. “One of the grandfathers, whom it would appear was playing with the little girl, lifted her out of the open window and lost his grip
Toddler slips from grandfather's arms, falls to her death from 11th floor of cruise ship
The toddler's maternal grandfather, identified as Salvatore Anello, was reportedly playfully dangling the child from one of the ship's port-side windows when he lost his grasp, sending the girl plummeting into an awning before she landed on the concrete dock below.

"It's a very grave scene, very regrettable and tragic," Elmer Román, an official with the Puerto Rican Department of Public Security, told Puerto Rico's Primera Hora newspaper. "One of the grandfathers, whom it would appear was playing with the little girl, lifted her out of the open window and lost his grip."

The accompanying video has him dangling her out the window - and note - it was port side that this happened. I've been wondering about that.

I’ve read this before. Two siblings and both sets of grandparents mentioned here and elsewhere to my recollection.
Was there another child? And Detective Wiegand’s parents?
Poof. Off the radar?

Toddler slips from grandfather’s arms, falls to her death from 11th floor of Royal Caribbean’s Freedom of the Seas

found the early reference to dangling that was NOT scrubbed yet-
The toddler’s maternal grandfather, identified as Salvatore Anello, was reportedly playfully dangling the child from one of the ship’s port-side windows when he lost his grasp, sending the girl plummeting into an awning before she landed on the concrete dock below. “It’s a very grave scene, very regrettable and tragic,” Elmer Román, an official with the Puerto Rican Department of Public Security, told Puerto Rico’s Primera Hora newspaper. “One of the grandfathers, whom it would appear was playing with the little girl, lifted her out of the open window and lost his grip
Toddler slips from grandfather's arms, falls to her death from 11th floor of cruise ship
The toddler's maternal grandfather, identified as Salvatore Anello, was reportedly playfully dangling the child from one of the ship's port-side windows when he lost his grasp, sending the girl plummeting into an awning before she landed on the concrete dock below.

"It's a very grave scene, very regrettable and tragic," Elmer Román, an official with the Puerto Rican Department of Public Security, told Puerto Rico's Primera Hora newspaper. "One of the grandfathers, whom it would appear was playing with the little girl, lifted her out of the open window and lost his grip."

The accompanying video has him dangling her out the window - and note - it was port side that this happened. I've been wondering about that.

I’ve read this before. Two siblings and both sets of grandparents mentioned here and elsewhere to my recollection.
Was there another child? And Detective Wiegand’s parents?
Poof. Off the radar?

My understanding is that it was Chloe's father's parents, and Chloe's mother's mother and her husband SA. And Chloe's older brother. I don't know if Chloe's older brother is technically her half brother, because the parents have been married about 5-6 years. And the older brother is older than that.

this is really a thing. And though I’m not verified- this is my area of clinical research. All things ophthalmology...
http://www.colorvisiontesting.com/w...uired-Color-Vision-Deficiencies-Simunovic.pdf

also: Acquired Colour Vision Defects - Colour Blind Awareness
....”colour blindness include Alzheimer’s disease, diabetes mellitus, glaucoma, leukaemia, liver disease, chronic alcoholism, macular degeneration, multiple sclerosis, Parkinson’s disease, sickle cell anaemia and retinitis pigmentosa.

Accidents or strokes that damage the retina or affect particular areas of the brain/eye can lead to colour blindness.

Medications such as antibiotics, barbiturates, anti-tuberculosis drugs, high blood pressure medications and several medications to treat nervous disorders may cause colour blindness.
Wow, I never knew all of those things could cause color blindness.
I guess it won't matter if he was diagnosed recently, after all.
I've also heard distinguishing colors is subjective, and people can see the same color differently.

Imo

So an important point is whether he's been on cruises or this cruise before.
I don't think it matters whether or not he's been on a cruise before.
A child should not be held up to and seated or stood on any window ledge, even in a one story building.
So whether it be a boat or a car or a building doesn't make a difference.

Imo

I wish everyone could see the view out that 11th floor window - there is absolutely no mistaking a window is simply not there and when he looked out he would see the height of where they were - it’s a little terrifying IMO - I will take a picture so you can make no mistake about what he was seeing and the potential danger that lingered out that window and my bet is not a single one of you would have let your baby be hoisted up and possibly put through that window
JMO
I will see if I still have my pics from the last cruise

I wish everyone could see the view out that 11th floor window - there is absolutely no mistaking a window is simply not there and when he looked out he would see the height of where they were - it’s a little terrifying IMO - I will take a picture so you can make no mistake about what he was seeing and the potential danger that lingered out that window and my bet is not a single one of you would have let your baby be hoisted up and possibly put through that window
JMO
I will see if I still have my pics from the last cruise
ITA...totally ridiculous to believe any of MW and the family's version of things. What gets me is how Chloe was a preemie and endured God knows what in her first months, only to be KILLED in such an idiotic and meaningless way. He little life had to mean something. Justice for Chloe. Put SA away.

Wow, I never knew all of those things could cause color blindness.
I guess it won't matter if he was diagnosed recently, after all.
I've also heard distinguishing colors is subjective, and people can see the same color differently.

Imo

it is actually quite subjective. Google the Himba tribe.Oh heck, here’s a really cool article on color perception: There's Evidence Humans Didn't Actually See Blue Until Modern Times

edit to add: there are also people with an extra cone (tetrachromat) that have “super” color vision
The Humans With Super Human Vision

Last edited:
IF G-pa opened that window himself -- this entire tragedy would look different.

Not that poor Chloe's life wouldn't still be lost; but the crux of his defense seems to be that he didn't know it was open.
Whether due to colorblindness or too much drinking or his health issues or whatnot.

Wonder if RCCL knows what he did/didn't do and are (wisely) keeping silent about it for now ??

Actually thanks to this interview Chloe asking to be picked up has been reversed. Now by SA's own admission he unilaterally picked her up after for some mysterious reason he was unable to feel/touch the bottom window that Chloe was standing behind. If Chloe wanted to bang on the bottom window absolutely nothing was stopping her as there was no barrier stopping her.
Regarding the bottom window and why he picked her up, he actually said, he couldn’t reach it, so neither could she. How? Why?
She, this tiny little girl, could have reached The lower window just fine, right? If I’m wrong on this please correct me. TIA

So, seems to me, the only reason he couldn’t reach it.... not that I believe his story anyway, but... would be because it would require him to bend over, then get down on his knees. To “bang “ the glass. And here we go with this banging the glass thing. Who does that? What’s that old saying that comes to mind.... A crock of you know what.

Meh... this guy's playing it, or at least trying. Hope to God there isn’t a Casey Anthony jury if it goes to trial.

It's ALLLLLLLMOST as if she was encouraged to do that for a reason. A sick, stupid reason. Like, oh, whoops, she got all cut up. Let's make some money here. I mean, come on. This is becoming a pet peeve of mine. I have it from a sports fan, my DH that in the venues there are signs and even ANNOUNCEMENTS over the PA system to NOT BANG ON THE GLASS. That is mind bogglingly dangerous and stupid. I have no use for these people! Their actions are making me very disgusted and angry!
I was surprised when I googled it to find that people bang on the glass during hockey games for a variety of reasons.

Apparently it's common to bang on the glass when a favorite player skates by, to celebrate when a team is winning, and most often, when a fight breaks out between players.

I've only been to a few hockey games, and each time I noticed the glass was covered with finger prints and smudges. Probably from people banging on it.

Although it is prohibited and against the rules, the general consensus from fans who do this seems to be that it is "appropriate" under certain conditions.

Chloe probably learned to do this from watching the adults.

Imo

Last edited:
IF G-pa opened that window himself -- this entire tragedy would look different.

Not that poor Chloe's life wouldn't still be lost; but the crux of his defense seems to be that he didn't know it was open.
Whether due to colorblindness or too much drinking or his health issues or whatnot.

Wonder if RCCL knows what he did/didn't do and are (wisely) keeping silent about it for now ??
Again, I believe if the video shows SA opening the window himself then he would certainly be charged with murder - in the first degree. And since he is not charged with that then I'd have to conclude he did not open the window himself.

It still looks to me like he sat Chloe down upon the railing, the two of them leaned forward and SA lost his grip on her, possibly because he was not holding on to her tightly enough.

But even then his story in the recent interview makes no sense. He first looks to see if she fell onto the floor then sees her falling? We're talking micro seconds. IMO he realized immediately that she went through the open window and either he couldn't believe it happened for the first second or he's trying to convince the public via the interview that he thought the window was open.

WTH couldn't he just say he knew she fell out the window? IMO it's because he needs a damn good excuse for his actions. Does anyone think Chloe's mother would have lifted her up onto the railing? Would her dad? Her grandmother? IMO I think not. There were many times when my kids were with us high above the ground and neither me nor my ex let them approach windows clearly sealed shut without holding onto them with dear life because we didn't trust that the window could give way. MOO from my own experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
n.zajk0wska