IN - Grandfather charged in cruise ship death of toddler Chloe Wiegand #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
My understanding is that it was Chloe's father's parents, and Chloe's mother's mother and her husband SA. And Chloe's older brother. I don't know if Chloe's older brother is technically her half brother, because the parents have been married about 5-6 years. And the older brother is older than that.
Yes, her half brother, her father's child with another mother before the current marriage.

There is something going on with how this story is being handled at the Daily Mail. When the incident first happened, stories would have thousands of replies, most skeptical of the claims against the cruise line. The last 2 stories have had all of the replies moderated. That means the staff reads them and decides which comments to publish, rather than simply publishing all of the comments. So the last 2 stories, one by Winkleman about the video, and one with the CBS tape, have only shown a couple hundred replies each, most expressing great sympathy for the step grandfather with a much smaller number saying that the cruise line is not at fault. People say that the DM is pay-for-play, that you can pay to have a story published and you can pay to have it moderated to favor a particular position. Is is possible that is happening with this story?
Yes! I can feel Winkleman’s pr people calling in favors.

I have to admit I just don't understand why this particular man is getting so much support from his family and community. A child died not in an accident but due to negligence. People have been treated a lot worse for doing a whole lot less.
Yes, it’s disturbing isn’t it? How they focus their energy on supporting a careless, reckless, foolish man over an innocent baby..... a precious and innocent who completely trusted her caregiver. One of the most serious betrayals of trust if I’ve ever seen one.

Wonder if RCCL knows what he did/didn't do and are (wisely) keeping silent about it for now ??

I think RCCL and the prosecutors know a lot that they haven't said because they're not going to try this in the media. But the defense attorney also knows their evidence as well. That's why I really don't know why SA did an interview. What defense attorney would ever recommend that - none, I think. What makes it harder to understand is that Chloe's mother and father already understand how all this works. Assuming they approved this interview, this also seems a careless move on the part of whoever sanctioned this interview. Without people seeing the videos it doesn't prove anything.

I can understand the parents not going to court with SA because they have jobs and a son to focus on and it would also be traumatic to return to SA. But if there is a trial who knows if they will be present.

A comment from today's article in DM in part: "I wonder why he's doing this interview. If he doesn't care what happens to him he would let the courts decide his fate rather than trying to garner the sympathy of the viewers and possible jurors. I think he cares very much what may happen to him and doesn't want to go to jail."
Grandfather charged with toddler's cruise ship death sobs in interview | Daily Mail Online
Exactly, his claim that this is all inconsequential, is an out and out lie. Backed up by the fact that he’s lying his eye teeth out to avoid the consequences. JMO

I just came across this on the ABC News site:

Anello said that he initially blamed himself for his granddaughter’s death, but now believes the cruise line should have had a sign posted warning that windows in the area where she fell could be open.

If there was such a sign, he said, “this wouldn’t have happened.”

He INITIALLY blamed himself?
But.. what? Now he doesn't?
SMH .... ugh!

From the CBS News site:

Initially, Anello said he blamed himself.

"I couldn't help but blame myself. But I know that, I know that if there was a sign, if there was something that indicated there was a chance for that window to be an opening, that this wouldn't happen," Anello said.

Anello says he now blames the cruise line.

"I just want them to fix the boat. Just fix it. Just fix the boat."

the repetition (Palilalia) is interesting because it can be a symptom of neurological diseases Palilalia - Wikipedia

or just someone who is not necessarily being truthful...
bolding mine

I nominate @Medstudies :D -- for giving M. Winkleman the next "reason" that G-pa put her through that window.
JK ;)

But the overworked lawyer is probably sifting through WS now, looking for another excuse for S.A.
Who wants to bet he'll come up with something in this forum ?
Maybe Gramps did indulge in a few drinks and someone laced his Margarita with Rohypnol ??
Yeah I think not.

It's getting seriously weirder by the interview.
Is S.A. going to take off his shoes and socks and show that he has bunions on his feet ?
It's a dog and pony show and it's all about HIM.

He can't blame dementia as S.A was working up until and maybe beyond the time of the cruise.
MW has to come up with another excuse --anything but the truth will suffice.

It's making headlines now in Australia.
So what is the idea for the worldwide media?

Grandfather breaks silence after toddler's cruise ship death
Wait, what?? Software issues? So now their saying what exactly?
"The video shown to us was not in real time," correspondent David Begnaud said. The family attorney "says the video that he showed us was the same format he received from prosecutors," Begnaud added.
Noting a discrepancy in how long Anello was holding Chloe, Begnaud said, "the grandfather actually looks out the window for about eight seconds. He reaches down, he picks Chloe up, and he holds her over the railing for nearly 25 seconds."
In a statement to CBS News, Winkleman said, "any variation in time likely has to do with software issues. Most importantly, whether it was 5, 10, or 30 seconds does nothing to change the fact that Sam reasonably believed the window was closed."
Grandfather breaks silence after toddler's cruise ship death
Um, okay... way back I wondered about a prior statement from the CBS reporter and others that said something like "... and 3 or 4 seconds later Chloe disappeared..." My question was what was happening during those seconds. IOW, there was a time jump where neither the attorney nor the reporter described what occurred between SA holding Chloe, them leaning forward "to get a better view" and Chloe "disappearing."

So now there's a software issue? Why was that not mentioned originally? And let's not forget that there were multiple views from different angles which should fill in any gap.

Clearly Winkleman is focused on the claim that SA didn't know the window was open. For me, I'm more concerned about every move SA made during that time and if there's a jump in the timestamp then damn, somebody clear that up. SMDH.

Thanks for digging that up. If it does turn out that SA actually dangled Chloe or held her outside of the window then I'm gobsmacked that the DA didn't charge him with felony murder (I would think any kind of fooling around like that would be considered abuse) or second degree murder instead of a misdemeanor. I understand he's possibly facing 3 years in prison but if he did more than just sitting Chloe on the railing then the man should rot in prison for a very long time! MOO. :mad:

Interesting that you mentioned presbyopia. I took a good look at a pic of SA wearing his glasses and it does appear that the main lens magnifies a bit with a stronger insert at the bottom. My husband has excellent far vision but in order to read at varying distances he has multiple lenses. IOW, one strength to look at a computer screen and stronger to read print.

If anything that would make it easier to differentiate between an open or closed window but I don't know how color blindness would affect his ability. Personally I don't think it's a factor and a medical expert would be able to bust that particular excuse. It reminds me of the trial of Ross Harris who claimed to have hearing and olfactory limitations which prevented him from knowing his son was strapped in a car seat for hours on a hot day. Didn't help him at all. MOO.
I believe her half-brother is the mother's child. There is video of SA with him as a baby/toddler.
bolding mine

I nominate @Medstudies :D -- for giving M. Winkleman the next "reason" that G-pa put her through that window.
JK ;)

But the overworked lawyer is probably sifting through WS now, looking for another excuse for S.A.
Who wants to bet he'll come up with something in this forum ?
Maybe Gramps did indulge in a few drinks and someone laced his Margarita with Rohypnol ??
Yeah I think not.

It's getting seriously weirder by the interview.
Is S.A. going to take off his shoes and socks and show that he has bunions on his feet ?
It's a dog and pony show and it's all about HIM.

He can't blame dementia as S.A was working up until and maybe beyond the time of the cruise.
MW has to come up with another excuse --anything but the truth will suffice.

Does anyone know where Sam worked before his current job? I think that I read that he had been in this job one year. Curious if he has had stable employment, etc.

I can't find a link now, but I read recently in one of the news reports that he has been married to Kimberley's mother for around 20 years.
He has been married 20 years to Kimberly’s mom. Then why in heck would Chloe's parents allow SA to watch her. SA history of
poor judgement with traffic violations, including not wearing a seatbelt while driving, less forget speeding. I’m sure there’s more. What else has he been reckless at.
I can’t believe the parents didn’t know this information. I sure wouldn’t allow someone this reckless to watch over my child!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimmyann4141