IN - Grandfather charged in cruise ship death of toddler Chloe Wiegand #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
On the CBS site about the recent interview with Salvatore, it says: "Port Authority officials said Anello sat the girl in the window and lost his balance, and the girl fell to her death." So officials are confirming that she was sat in the window itself, which is horrifying. And also negates the possibility of there being a closed window, else how could you sit in the frame of it? Would he have climbed into that window frame himself and sat there? If not, then why place a toddler there.
I also appreciate that CBS made clear that the video shows Salvatore looking over the side for some seconds, before lifting her and having her up there about 25 seconds. Winkleman apparently showed the press an abbreviated version, where Anello looks over for 1 second, then Chloe is up there for 5 seconds or so. Winkleman told CBS that the discrepancy about time is due to "software issues." I wonder how CBS found out that the actual tape showed a longer sequence of events.
The other issue that I find unusual is that Salvatore was alone with Chloe. There were 6 adults and 2 kids on the cruise. And somehow the most vulnerable one in the family, Chloe, was placed with this very overweight man with vision problems. When I've gone on group cruises with family , there was always a ratio of 2 adults to every child. Little ones can be lightening fast and a ship has so many areas of caution built in.

Again, I believe if the video shows SA opening the window himself then he would certainly be charged with murder - in the first degree. And since he is not charged with that then I'd have to conclude he did not open the window himself.

It still looks to me like he sat Chloe down upon the railing, the two of them leaned forward and SA lost his grip on her, possibly because he was not holding on to her tightly enough.

But even then his story in the recent interview makes no sense. He first looks to see if she fell onto the floor then sees her falling? We're talking micro seconds. IMO he realized immediately that she went through the open window and either he couldn't believe it happened for the first second or he's trying to convince the public via the interview that he thought the window was open.

WTH couldn't he just say he knew she fell out the window? IMO it's because he needs a damn good excuse for his actions. Does anyone think Chloe's mother would have lifted her up onto the railing? Would her dad? Her grandmother? IMO I think not. There were many times when my kids were with us high above the ground and neither me nor my ex let them approach windows clearly sealed shut without holding onto them with dear life because we didn't trust that the window could give way. MOO from my own experience.
If her parents allowed or encouraged her to bang on the window at a hockey game, then I wouldn't be surprised if they would lift her to a window and let her do it on a ship.

Imo

On the CBS site about the recent interview with Salvatore, it says: "Port Authority officials said Anello sat the girl in the window and lost his balance, and the girl fell to her death." So officials are confirming that she was sat in the window itself, which is horrifying. And also negates the possibility of there being a closed window, else how could you sit in the frame of it? Would he have climbed into that window frame himself and sat there? If not, then why place a toddler there.
I also appreciate that CBS made clear that the video shows Salvatore looking over the side for some seconds, before lifting her and having her up there about 25 seconds. Winkleman apparently showed the press an abbreviated version, where Anello looks over for 1 second, then Chloe is up there for 5 seconds or so. Winkleman told CBS that the discrepancy about time is due to "software issues." I wonder how CBS found out that the actual tape showed a longer sequence of events.
The other issue that I find unusual is that Salvatore was alone with Chloe. There were 6 adults and 2 kids on the cruise. And somehow the most vulnerable one in the family, Chloe, was placed with this very overweight man with vision problems. When I've gone on group cruises with family , there was always a ratio of 2 adults to every child. Little ones can be lightening fast and a ship has so many areas of caution built in.
Excellent observations! Let’s poll the parents here / who would leave their 18 month old with the 51 year old overweight man who has many seatbelt violations (link upthread) ? My guess is most of us cannot imagine a loved one who would even consider doing something so reckless so they might leave the baby with him - knowing what I know now I wouldn’t leave mine with anyone because you never know the depths of stupidity another possesses until something horrific like this happens- just google images of this crime (yes it is a crime) there’s a lot on the internet now
JMO

Excellent observations! Let’s poll the parents here / who would leave their 18 month old with the 51 year old overweight man who has many seatbelt violations (link upthread) ? My guess is most of us cannot imagine a loved one who would even consider doing something so reckless so they might leave the baby with him - knowing what I know now I wouldn’t leave mine with anyone because you never know the depths of stupidity another possesses until something horrific like this happens- just google images of this crime (yes it is a crime) there’s a lot on the internet now
JMO
I would and did know better than to trust my child with a DOOFUS like SA or a stupid lush like my late,
not so great ex FIL.

I wonder what the other grandparents think.

What would you think?
Maybe this was Detective Wiegand’s only child.
Maybe this was their first grandchild.
Maybe this family will fall apart bc of the tragedy. That is not an uncommon outcome with a death of a child.
I’ve done some pretty stupid things in my life. But they involved me. And I didn’t die from my stupidities. Never my kids.

edited to add: any double posting not my stupidity. Software issues!

I just posted about the very same thing. It appears, according to the report, he stood her on the wooden railing at first, holding her hand and then sat her on a "metal railing"? The only metal rail is along the window itself and the open window has tracks that the windows slide in to close. OMG.

I also just do not understand how this child got out that window. Even with her sitting in the railing, she must have been leaning almost completely over to topple over a foot from the railing to the window and out. Was he not holding her at all? Was he just expecting to lean her against the glass (that wasn’t there) as they looked out? He must have been leaning farther out than she was, since he was still taller than her, even sitting on the railing?

(My blood goes cold imagining her *standing* on that rail...)

Agreed.

Next, I'm expecting to hear he has Neuropathy in both feet and struggles to stand firmly upright.
Any other ailments he has yet to disclose ?
Poor man-- everyone seems to be so hard on him and making him suffer through interviews and questioning.

It's as if SA is the victim, here ! :mad:
Omg, yes. He reminds me of a couple of “men” I’ve known. Men.... yeah, right. LOL.

Speaking of health issues, I'm no doctor & I'm not sure if it's relevant but my experience with type 2 diabetes is the bruising on shins. In this photo I zoomed in to see both grandparents have that same bruising on the lower legs that I'm speaking about. So there's the Neuropathy

15940072-7237859-image-a-2_1562891309932.jpg

Devastated US grandfather of toddler who died falling from his arms on cruise ship arrives in Chicago to prepare for her funeral - after refusing to give official statement to authorities - Breaking News

Last edited:
Or early Parkinson’s.

and then the question on the color vision - is it a genetic linked deficiency in his case or is it an acquired loss due to medical disease (macula/stroke/optic nerve)?

and let’s see past and current ophthalmic work up with Ishihara/Hardy Rand Rittler/Farnsworth testing. BTW: Malingering is easily detected by a qualified examiner.

depth perception typically declines slightly in middle age (with onset of presbyopia/need for bifocals, readers)
but this can easily be tested with stereopsis exam (fly test)

and with that said, most people ADAPT naturally to these changes or deficiencies...

Excellent points, Medstudies..... Most people do indeed adapt.

Every effort this family makes to "set the record straight" through the media, has backfired.
If he was holding her near a window, and she fell, she would fall to his feet. He had to be holding or swinging her outside the window. Things fall vertically not horizontally

Every effort this family makes to "set the record straight" through the media, has backfired.
If he was holding her near a window, and she fell, she would fall to his feet. He had to be holding or swinging her outside the window. Things fall vertically not horizontally
bbm

If he was 'swinging her' outside that window, I hope the PR prosecutor goes after him for that.
Borderline criminal homicide instead of simple negligence.

Speaking of health issues, I'm no doctor & I'm not sure if it's relevant but my experience with type 2 diabetes is the bruising on shins. In this photo I zoomed in to see both grandparents have that same bruising on the lower legs that I'm speaking about. So there's the Neuropathy

Devastated US grandfather of toddler who died falling from his arms on cruise ship arrives in Chicago to prepare for her funeral - after refusing to give official statement to authorities - Breaking News
Hope we're not giving MW ideas. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member