IN - Grandfather charged in cruise ship death of toddler Chloe Wiegand #6

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to get something off my mind tonight about this case and it’s really bothering me. Maybe if I type it out it will help a bit. Sigh...

A couple other posters have mentioned how hot that window ledge would be considering the temperature along with the sun beating down on the glass. OMG I had not considered that at all! It makes me so furious to think about little Chloe’s tender, sensitive skin possibly placed on such a scorching, burning hot surface! That burn would cause anyone to be startled and jump from pain on their bare skin. And she was such a tiny, fragile little girl.

I hate this case but I can’t stay away.....

Notice how KW is careful in interviews never to cast any blame on SA, even right after it happened? She says when learning of the tragedy; where's my baby...SA was banging on the window saying he thought there was glass... someone from RCCL tried to stop me, etc.
Shouldn't KW have questioned or yelled at SA from the get go, the person entrusted with CW's care, to find out what happened?
KW never admits faulting SA of anything, she keeps all the focus (guilt) on RCCL.

Notice how KW is careful in interviews never to cast any blame on SA, even right after it happened? She says when learning of the tragedy; where's my baby...SA was banging on the window saying he thought there was glass... someone from RCCL tried to stop me, etc.
Shouldn't KW have questioned or yelled at SA from the get go, the person entrusted with CW's care, to find out what happened?
KW never admits faulting SA of anything, she keeps all the focus (guilt) on RCCL.
This right here, bugs me. I can't even imagine not being beyond furious at my stepfather (or anyone, for that matter) who for any reason caused the death of my child. I don't want to go any further and risk TO or worse though...

I have to get something off my mind tonight about this case and it’s really bothering me. Maybe if I type it out it will help a bit. Sigh...

A couple other posters have mentioned how hot that window ledge would be considering the temperature along with the sun beating down on the glass. OMG I had not considered that at all! It makes me so furious to think about little Chloe’s tender, sensitive skin possibly placed on such a scorching, burning hot surface! That burn would cause anyone to be startled and jump from pain on their bare skin. And she was such a tiny, fragile little girl.

I hate this case but I can’t stay away.....

If she has any type of red marks, even faint ones, consistent with the window ledge, it will show in the autopsy.

Did SA have children that he raised previously?

My husband is fantastic babysitter for our grand baby because he had lots of experience with our kids. He would NEVER EVER put a child in a dangerous situation like that.

How much experience did SA have with children? He didn't seem very good at holding them correctly. Nor at holding their hands in crowded restaurants where people might have hot coffee or food trays.

Was this his first experience with a toddler?
Does SA have any biological children?

Does anyone know how long SA has been married to KWs mother. I just don't know how they can look SA in the eye I would hate him and I wonder what the paternal grands feel or bio grand.

I read that SA has been married to KW's mother for about 20 years. Don't know if he was married previously.

From Primera Hora
“They occupy the videos of the cruise where baby died in San Juan.” That’s the translation. But reading the entire article, what really hit me was it was investigated initially by

Lieutenant Nelson Sotelo, director of the Sex Crimes Division of the San Juan area, was in charge of the initial investigation and the occupation of evidence.

What does that mean? Some of google translate wasn’t quite right, but most of it could be understood by a non Spanish speaking person like me. By the time I read it three times, I really was wondering what was going on right after it happened.
I work in education, and in my position I have worked closely with Child Protective Services. When an abuse report is called in, they categorize it as to severity to determine who will investigate it...either the Child Protective Services or the State Police. Child protective services came out when the abuse was not life threatening. The investigators with the State Police came out when the reports involved sexual abuse and abuse that is life threatening, child is near death or child dies. This is how it works in the US in the state I live in. Perhaps that explains why Lt Sotelo investigated. Maybe he does abuse and sex crimes.

Last edited:
I haven't seen this information, but I also wonder if he has/had other children or if he was married previously.

I am guessing that he doesn't have any children. Men who don't have children or spend a lot of time with small children, really don't know what to do with them or even how to hold one.

He was "tasked" to watch Chloe, so that is what he did. She runs over to the window, he follows her, not really that close, or redirecting her back to children's play area. He wasn't holding her hand, she seemed to just go where she wanted, he follows, not really sure what to do with her.

She wanted to look out, so he picks her up, not very well, or safely, and puts her past the safety rail to see outside. He wasn't really thinking about her at all, just trying to deal with taking care of a small child, by doing whatever she wanted.

Great plan. Not.

I am guessing that he doesn't have any children. Men who don't have children or spend a lot of time with small children, really don't know what to do with them or even how to hold one.

He was "tasked" to watch Chloe, so that is what he did. She runs over to the window, he follows her, not really that close, or redirecting her back to children's play area. He wasn't holding her hand, she seemed to just go where she wanted, he follows, not really sure what to do with her.

She wanted to look out, so he picks her up, not very well, or safely, and puts her past the safety rail to see outside. He wasn't really thinking about her at all, just trying to deal with taking care of a small child, by doing whatever she wanted.

Great plan. Not.
So, she was his step granddaughter for 18 months. She was supposedly his "best friend" and there are several pictures of them together. There seems to have been time for SA to get somewhat of a clue on how to deal with kids. But, he sure didn't seem to have a clue. JMOO No excuses, as far as I'm concerned.

I read that SA has been married to KW's mother for about 20 years. Don't know if he was married previously.

Take this with a grain of salt.....but in researching this case for myself, I've read many other comments on different sites - cruise ship forums, etc. I read that that SA and KW's mother have been married for around 12 years, and that Mrs. SA is about 10 years older than him. Could have been someone who knows them, I don't know, but I did think that the Mrs. looked a little older than him.

I work in education, and in my position I have worked closely with Child Protective Services. When an abuse report is called in, they categorize it as to severity to determine who will investigate it...either the Child Protective Services or the State Police. Child protective services came out when the abuse was not life threatening. The investigators with the State Police came out when the reports involved sexual abuse and abuse that is life threatening, child is near death or child dies. This is how it works in the US in the state I live in. Perhaps that explains why Lt Sotelo investigated. Maybe he does abuse and sex crimes.

In my state, I know that whenever a child under 18 dies unexpectedly, there is an investigation done by state authorities. It is not just left up to the local police.

So, she was his step granddaughter for 18 months. She was supposedly his "best friend" and there are several pictures of them together. There seems to have been time for SA to get somewhat of a clue on how to deal with kids. But, he sure didn't seem to have a clue. JMOO No excuses, as far as I'm concerned.

DBM

Last edited:
In my state, I know that whenever a child under 18 dies unexpectedly, there is an investigation done by state authorities. It is not just left up to the local police.
Yes, same here. I once called the local police for a child abuse case because it was severe, and he immediately called the State Police.

edited for clarification

Great plan. Not.

I also did not think he acted like he knew what to do with her, but I've still got it in my mind that it was totally his idea to go to the window area, in the shade.

IMO, most men cannot carry a child perched on their hip, because they do not have the hip bones that women have. He has a belly, so really couldn't hold her securely in the front either. She would slide down.

It has always kind of bugged me when I see real little ones, like Chloe, being made to walk along side of an adult holding their hand. Their stride is not as long as an adult's, and they have to run to keep up.

This right here, bugs me. I can't even imagine not being beyond furious at my stepfather (or anyone, for that matter) who for any reason caused the death of my child. I don't want to go any further and risk TO or worse though...

Don't forget, though, it was the window that caused it, not SA. IMO, have really got the impression that SA was less than forthcoming with the parents that afternoon and in the hours that followed. Remember KW stating he was beating on the windows when she arrived at the scene? Window's fault.

My husband has plenty of pics with grandkids, he has literally never taken care of one for longer than half a minute, if that.

My husband is a great guy, was a great Dad, but he looks at a 1 year old baby, fist bumps him, and asks him, "What's up, Bud?".

Take this with a grain of salt.....but in researching this case for myself, I've read many other comments on different sites - cruise ship forums, etc. I read that that SA and KW's mother have been married for around 12 years, and that Mrs. SA is about 10 years older than him. Could have been someone who knows them, I don't know, but I did think that the Mrs. looked a little older than him.
Yes I think she is 62 I going on info on White pages, Spokeo when I looked them up.
I can understand KW being very fond of him and maybe she truly believes this window story but surely other members of the family like bio grand and paternal family members must be furious. I'm guessing they don't want to rock the boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lisa83