GUILTY IN - Grandfather charged in cruise ship death of toddler Chloe Wiegand #9 *NO JAIL*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I received this email today from RCC gunning for bookings in JAN 2021. (Snippet of email).
ROY_spacer.gif

We know how eager you are to get back to normal daily life — and onboard with us. We’re excited to see you again too. To help you get started planning your next cruise, we’re offering you a special Crown & Anchor Bonus. Book between A‌pr‌il‌ 1‌5 – ‌2‌1‌, 2‌0‌2‌0, and you could save up to $475 AUD off your cruise.

To redeem your exclusive bonus, make sure to enter your Crown & Anchor® Society member number when placing your booking. We appreciate your loyalty and support always. And we can’t wait to see you back onboard soon

I got the same email. I went in and priced out cruises, and it didn't save me any more than usual. LOL

People who love to cruise, love to cruise. I was watching CNBC the other day and RCCL CEO was saying bookings are up. Other talking heads were like "up from what? Zero?" So stock brokers aren't putting too much into what the CEO was saying, but it appears that people want to get back on the ship.

Look at all the people who still went on cruises up to the very end before they shut them down?

RCL Future?
People who love to cruise, love to cruise. I was watching CNBC the other day and RCCL CEO was saying bookings are up. Other talking heads were like "up from what? Zero?" So stock brokers aren't putting too much into what the CEO was saying, but it appears that people want to get back on the ship.
Look at all the people who still went on cruises up to the very end before they shut them down?
@Lawnguylander1964 Yes, you're right. ;) Cruisers gonna cruise. ;)

Having been in & around the investment world for many moons, I know enough not to make any predictions about RCL stock prices or future. Not a stock analyst, not pretending to pretending to play one on TV either. :D jmo

Does anyone know the status of the hearing in Puerto Rico to finalize Anello's guilty plea? I thought it was set for April but can't find confirmation. As I recall, prosecutors and Anello have reached some agreement but a judge needs to approve. Hoping the concept that Anello can plead guilty without "acknowledging the facts" or whatever the language was, gets rejected.

Does anyone know the status of the hearing in Puerto Rico to finalize Anello's guilty plea? I thought it was set for April but can't find confirmation. As I recall, prosecutors and Anello have reached some agreement but a judge needs to approve. Hoping the concept that Anello can plead guilty without "acknowledging the facts" or whatever the language was, gets rejected.
Thanks for the update.
Ita.

I recall Puerto Rico's earlier announcement that they were ceasing all hearings to March 30 but I've not seen evidence that the suspension was extended. I'll take a look and report what I find.

ETA: Court suspension was extended to May 3.

Portal de la Rama Judicial de Puerto Rico

Last edited:
People who love to cruise, love to cruise. I was watching CNBC the other day and RCCL CEO was saying bookings are up. Other talking heads were like "up from what? Zero?" So stock brokers aren't putting too much into what the CEO was saying, but it appears that people want to get back on the ship...

I won't say "never", but DH and I have absolutely no desire to get on a cruise ship anytime soon. We've sailed on ships with Norovirus outbreaks, and it isn't pretty. I can't imagine how awful it must have been to be onboard during the Coronavirus outbreak, quarantined in a stateroom, and unable to disembark. As much as I love cruising, after 10 days to two weeks, I am longing to feel solid ground beneath my feet and the comforts and spaciousness of home.

For several years, DH and I had planned a Mediterranean cruise for our 50th anniversary in June, 2021. At this juncture, I don't see that happening next summer, if ever. I've already told DH that I would be very happy with an extended stay on Mackinac Island for our 50th anniversary.

During our winter cruise in January, we made a $100 per person future cruise deposit that is good for two years and completely refundable if we don't book a cruise during that time frame. We'll leave the deposits on our Princess account, and we have no immediate plans to sell our Carnival stock, although it pretty much tanked in the wake of COVID-19.

I still read this thread occasionally and appreciate updates. My feelings about the case are simple and straight-forward: Grandpa is entirely responsible for Chloe's untimely death, and her parents should not profit from her passing.

guilty - March 13 .....
it was 20% full - Cruising ended upon my return.

I recall Puerto Rico's earlier announcement that they were ceasing all hearings to March 30 but I've not seen evidence that the suspension was extended. I'll take a look and report what I find.

ETA: Court suspension was extended to May 3.

Portal de la Rama Judicial de Puerto Rico
I updated the media thread. I expect another suspension
JMO

Does anyone think that SA might get away with this due to this pandemic? I for one hope not, but then again can’t say it would surprise me. Let’s all pray for justice for baby Chloe.

Does anyone think that SA might get away with this due to this pandemic? I for one hope not, but then again can’t say it would surprise me. Let’s all pray for justice for baby Chloe.
I’m guessing the terms of the original plea deal will stand..... community service in his hometown. Personally, I believe he should serve some jail time.... not so much for the accident(giving him the benefit of the doubt) but for all his lies, prevarications and his refusal to accept any responsibility for his actions. My gut feeling, however, is that the judge in PR will not push for more stringent terms, IMO. I do hope I’m wrong.

I won't say "never", but DH and I have absolutely no desire to get on a cruise ship anytime soon. We've sailed on ships with Norovirus outbreaks, and it isn't pretty. I can't imagine how awful it must have been to be onboard during the Coronavirus outbreak, quarantined in a stateroom, and unable to disembark. As much as I love cruising, after 10 days to two weeks, I am longing to feel solid ground beneath my feet and the comforts and spaciousness of home.

For several years, DH and I had planned a Mediterranean cruise for our 50th anniversary in June, 2021. At this juncture, I don't see that happening next summer, if ever. I've already told DH that I would be very happy with an extended stay on Mackinac Island for our 50th anniversary.

During our winter cruise in January, we made a $100 per person future cruise deposit that is good for two years and completely refundable if we don't book a cruise during that time frame. We'll leave the deposits on our Princess account, and we have no immediate plans to sell our Carnival stock, although it pretty much tanked in the wake of COVID-19.

I still read this thread occasionally and appreciate updates. My feelings about the case are simple and straight-forward: Grandpa is entirely responsible for Chloe's untimely death, and her parents should not profit from her passing.

Mackinac Island couldn’t be a better choice. For Sleuthers who don't know, it’s one place that everyone should visit.

I’m guessing the terms of the original plea deal will stand..... community service in his hometown. Personally, I believe he should serve some jail time.... not so much for the accident(giving him the benefit of the doubt) but for all his lies, prevarications and his refusal to accept any responsibility for his actions. My gut feeling, however, is that the judge in PR will not push for more stringent terms, IMO. I do hope I’m wrong.

The San Juan courts are suspended like most courts so I think it's just a matter of time and schedule before SA's court date rescheduled where SA's change of plea will be entered and the defendant sentenced.

As for the Judge agreeing to the prosecutor's recommended sentence, it would be very unusual for the Judge to reject the plea terms that Puerto Rico officials offered SA in exchange for his GUILTY plea.

Criminal negligence is a misdemeanor and sentenced under fourth-degree felony guidelines. Had the case gone to trial and SA found guilty, it's just as likely that the Judge would have imposed probation and supervision per 4th-degree felony guidelines.

Just as the nation hated the sentence the Colorado Judge imposed on K Keeney, (Berreth murder) it's the law.

https://advance.lexis.com/documentpage/?pdmfid=1000516&crid=63297508-0780-457d-bead-5f40407d1681&pdistocdocslideraccess=true&config=00JABkODU1MGI4OC1hMmRkLTQ2MGYtOGY1NS03YjVjOWM4YjJlZjAKAFBvZENhdGFsb2d0HiKld62itjBDGzN8H7lV&pddocfullpath=/shared/document/statutes-legislation/urn:contentItem:5CFX-3331-66SD-808H-00008-00&pdcomponentid=234193&pdtocnodeidentifier=ABMAAFAABAABAABAAF&ecomp=n5_dkkk&prid=5ae38af0-5a02-45bf-b2c4-e1ab8444ec6e

Local grandfather charged in cruise ship death of toddler offered plea deal

Last edited:
The San Juan courts are suspended like most courts so I think it's just a matter of time and schedule before SA's court date rescheduled where SA's change of plea will be entered and the defendant sentenced.

As for the Judge agreeing to the prosecutor's recommended sentence, it would be very unusual for the Judge to reject the plea terms that Puerto Rico officials offered SA in exchange for his GUILTY plea.

Criminal negligence is a misdemeanor and sentenced under fourth-degree felony guidelines. Had the case gone to trial and SA found guilty, it's just as likely that the Judge would have imposed probation and supervision per 4th-degree felony guidelines.

Just as the nation hated the sentence the Colorado Judge imposed on K Keeney, (Berreth murder) it's the law.

https://advance.lexis.com/documentpage/?pdmfid=1000516&crid=63297508-0780-457d-bead-5f40407d1681&pdistocdocslideraccess=true&config=00JABkODU1MGI4OC1hMmRkLTQ2MGYtOGY1NS03YjVjOWM4YjJlZjAKAFBvZENhdGFsb2d0HiKld62itjBDGzN8H7lV&pddocfullpath=/shared/document/statutes-legislation/urn:contentItem:5CFX-3331-66SD-808H-00008-00&pdcomponentid=234193&pdtocnodeidentifier=ABMAAFAABAABAABAAF&ecomp=n5_dkkk&prid=5ae38af0-5a02-45bf-b2c4-e1ab8444ec6e

Local grandfather charged in cruise ship death of toddler offered plea deal

Too bad.
His crocodile tears convinced me he was guilty of no remorse.

It has been moved to the August 5th.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnny Joe Dillinger