IN IN - Greenwood, Male Skeletal UP1828, 14-30, sternum anomaly, Apr'93

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Thanks, Kimster! However, now that all the threads are merged, I see the suggestion I was going to make was ruled out. Hmmm....

The serial killer Herb Baumeister was brought up on another thread, and it occurred to me that this case seems to quite consistent with his MO. He operated in the Indianapolis area between 1980 and 1996.

http://truecrimes.wordpress.com/2007/12/29/herb-baumeister/

Police speculate that he may have been responsible for the murders of 50-60 men and boys.

This unidentified man now has a case number in Doenet instead of just a hot case: http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1723umin.html The dentals now include this information: "Based on root formation of the apex of the third molar, the dental age in the anthropology report is minimally 17 years old."

Namus lists one ruleout, Jamie Meadows from Indiana. In post #48, Carl indicated that Detective Klinkowski said Joshua Mahaffey was ruled out on DNA.

Namus lists one ruleout, Jamie Meadows from Indiana. In post #48, Carl indicated that Detective Klinkowski said Joshua Mahaffey was ruled out on DNA.

No additional ruleouts in Namus. Can anyone with medical expertise tell us if the anomaly in his sternum (found in 5% of the population) would have been known to the man or to his family (parents for example)? Does it result in additional medical needs requiring care throughout childhood or adulthood?

No additional ruleouts in Namus. Can anyone with medical expertise tell us if the anomaly in his sternum (found in 5% of the population) would have been known to the man or to his family (parents for example)? Does it result in additional medical needs requiring care throughout childhood or adulthood?

Quoting myself from earlier in the thread, when I looked briefly at the medical aspect:

Some poking around on medical websites didn't tell me much about holes in the sternum; it sounded like a person with that condition might not be aware of it unless they'd had a chest x-ray for another reason.

I concluded (for myself) that while it might be something that could be used to identify the remains, it wasn't likely to be anything that was listed in a missing person report.

Disclaimer: I'm not a doctor.

I was curious about the phrasing, "two holes [in the sternum] rather than the more common single hole" because in most people, the sternum is a single solid bone with a hefty amount of connective tissue attaching it to the ribs. It seems that having one with a single hole, or sternal foramen, is the aforementioned "trait shared by about 5% of the population." It is usually not noticed unless the person has imaging like an X-ray or CT scan done.

Having double sternal foramina, on the other hand, is much, much rarer. Most of the academic articles I can find are case studies like this one, meaning they're so rare nobody has done a comprehensive survey to see how common they are or if they cause any side effects. This article states the authors found double foramina in someone with chronic chest pain. I can imagine double foramina would be a risk for other issues, especially with CPR. However, barring that it doesn't appear to be any different in general noticeability from having a single foramen.

@Caring1 Hey could you post the current list of NamUs exclusions for this John Doe? I would greatly appreciate it.

This unidentified man now has a case number in Doenet instead of just a hot case: 1723UMIN The dentals now include this information: "Based on root formation of the apex of the third molar, the dental age in the anthropology report is minimally 17 years old."

@John/Jane Doe ruleouts are the same as the post upthread from 2015.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HollyMcKee
Back