GUILTY IN - James Chadwell II, 42, arrested after girl 9, found in his home, Lafayette, 19 Apr 2021 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I still thinks he's the one..I just can't quit JBC! mOO
I know what you mean. All of his taunting photographs of the woods, the bridge, Deer Creek, his bike, tattoos of the girls’ faces, his cryptic writings, signs he left in photos, his size, stance, body shape etc. What is that all about? It’s all so puzzling. IMO

@Niner

12/09/2021 = Memorandum/Brief Filed
Defendant's Double Jeopardy Memorandum-J.Chadwell
Filed By: Chadwell, James Brian II

12/10/2021 = Pre-Sentence Investigation Report Filed
PSI Addendum
Filed By: Tippecanoe Co Probation

12/13/2021 = Notice of Exclusion of Confidential Information
ACR (Exclusion)
Filed By: State of Indiana

12/13/2021
Memorandum/Brief Filed
Sentencing Memo -Confidential

12/13/2021 = Notice of Exclusion of Confidential Information
Notice of Exclusion

12/13/2021 = Memorandum/Brief Filed
Sentencing Memorandum

12/15/2021 = Memorandum/Brief Filed
Brief responding to Defs Double Jeopardy Memo

12/15/2021 = Memorandum/Brief Filed
Defendant's Reply Memorandum-J.Chadwell

12/16/2021 = Sentencing Hearing
Session: 12/16/2021 9:00 AM, Judicial Officer: Meyer, Steven P

Can someone break this down for me. Is this standard or nah? Is he making sure it’s not part of a potential future federal case?

Can someone break this down for me. Is this standard or nah? Is he making sure it’s not part of a potential future federal case?

It's not part of any other case but the current one and it is standard. I'll explain.

He was initially charged with as many charges as LE could find that would fit the situation - I think there were as many as nine initial charges. Off the top of my head (but it's listed in the posts by @FrostedGlass and @Niner above) - attempted murder, attempted intentional killing of another, 2 counts of child molestation, kidnapping, criminal confinement, battery on a victim under 14, and strangulation.

However, if you'll notice he was only sentenced for two counts of child molesting, attempted murder and attempted intentional killing of another, for which he received 90 years. The kidnapping, criminal confinement, serious bodily injury, and strangulation were vacated by the judge. Why? The court determined that those charges could basically be contained within other ones that he was being sentenced for (the attempted murder and attempted intentional killing).

The double jeopardy memorandum is a standard filing to make sure that he cannot in the future be returned to court and charged with, for example, the strangulation - because at this point all parties have agreed that his punishment for strangling the victim is included within his sentence for the other crimes against her.

MOO only.

IMO it means he will serve the entirety of his sentence within the Indiana Department of Corrections.

I am wondering if that precludes him from being transferred elsewhere in the event he were ever to be convicted of a federal crime. I wish I had more expertise in the legal system.

I am wondering if that precludes him from being transferred elsewhere in the event he were ever to be convicted of a federal crime. I wish I had more expertise in the legal system.

If he were to be charged, convicted, and sentenced with some other crime then that's a different story. For this particular crime, he is to stay within the Indiana DOC. This judge is dealing with this particular crime only, not future crimes or suspected crimes, if any.

oh oh oh he cannot be around the other inmates...maybe other pedo's but he is in danger big time..and as bulky as he is..they fight dirty and fast..so you are off your guard and unprepared, it puts you at a disadvantage and you are a dead man. He will live a tortured existence ...always wondering what's around the corner..it will be nothing like his past stints for stolen goods, fighting etc...mOO

added. DBM

it's not going to be like welcome back Kotter when he returns to prison...

So JBC doesn’t want his information shared? IMO

It's not part of any other case but the current one and it is standard. I'll explain.

He was initially charged with as many charges as LE could find that would fit the situation - I think there were as many as nine initial charges. Off the top of my head (but it's listed in the posts by @FrostedGlass and @Niner above) - attempted murder, attempted intentional killing of another, 2 counts of child molestation, kidnapping, criminal confinement, battery on a victim under 14, and strangulation.

However, if you'll notice he was only sentenced for two counts of child molesting, attempted murder and attempted intentional killing of another, for which he received 90 years. The kidnapping, criminal confinement, serious bodily injury, and strangulation were vacated by the judge. Why? The court determined that those charges could basically be contained within other ones that he was being sentenced for (the attempted murder and attempted intentional killing).

The double jeopardy memorandum is a standard filing to make sure that he cannot in the future be returned to court and charged with, for example, the strangulation - because at this point all parties have agreed that his punishment for strangling the victim is included within his sentence for the other crimes against her.

MOO only.
Ah ha! I should have read further before I posted. Thank you!

@Niner Chadwell's appeal
James Brian Chadwell, II v. State of Indiana

Case Number 22A-CR-00009
Court Court of Appeals
Type CR - Direct Appeals (Non Capital, Non-LWOP)
Filed 01/04/2022
Status 01/04/2022 , Pending (active)
Reference
Original County Cause Number
79D022104F110
Related
Lower Trial Court Case
79D02-2104-F1-000010

01/05/2022 = Notice of Appeal Filed
Certificate of Service- Electronically Served 01/04/22
Attorney: Karle, Brian Andrew
Party: Chadwell, James Brian II