IN - Lauren Spierer, 20, Bloomington, 03 June 2011 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Smooth Operator,
New details surface: The story of Lauren's night

At a press conference this morning, BPD Lt. of Detectives Bill Parker said Lauren was hanging out with friends Thursday night, June 2. They were drinking at Kilroy’s Sports, a bar on the intersection of Eighth and Walnut streets, according to friends’ testimonies and Kilroy’s cameras.

Lauren left Sports with a friend at 2:30 or 2:40 a.m. She left behind her cell phone and shoes, Parker said. The items are in police custody. Lauren likely left her shoes because there is a fenced-in beach and sand area at the bar.

The two walked to Lauren’s apartment complex, Smallwood Plaza, but video cameras show she did not enter her apartment. The friends stayed inside the complex for a short time and then headed north to another friend’s apartment.

The two met up with friends at an apartment complex on the corner of 11th and Morton streets. Police found a small purse and keys that belong to Lauren along this route. Parker said he thinks Lauren left the items on the way to the apartment complex.

The two went into one apartment, then to another apartment a few doors down to hang out with some friends.

Around 4:30 a.m. Lauren told her friends she felt like heading home to Smallwood. A male friend watched Lauren leave the apartment. He saw her last on the corner of 11th Street and College Avenue, he told police. That male friend was the last person to see Lauren, Parker said.

Police are interviewing everyone Lauren was known to hang out with that night. Parker said police are focusing on about 10 people of interest, but they have no official suspects.

Parker said police are focusing on the areas Lauren visited early Friday morning. They are using K-9 units to search between the two apartment complexes. They have no leads to other counties, he said.

Foul play is possible, Parker said. He added that he has no reason to believe this case is connected to the September disappearance and murder of local resident Crystal Grubb.

The other searches around Bloomington and surrounding areas will continue, as organized by the Spierers and IU Hillel Center, police said. Volunteers can meet each day in front of Smallwood at 10:30 a.m., 2 p.m. and 5:30 p.m. to search.

Parker held up a sign with Lauren’s picture and said that although she has naturally blonde hair, her hair color could have been altered if she was abducted.

The BPD has received hundreds of tips and has put a system in place to process them, Parker said, adding that the department would follow up the tips locally and call on the FBI if tips have a national scope.

Lauren’s parents, Robert and Charlene Spierer, stood together at the press conference. Charlene wrapped her arm around her husband as Parker spoke. After the police statement, Robert walked to the microphones. He thanked local law enforcement, the Bloomington community, family and friends for their support.

“We ask that if anyone saw Lauren, with anyone, please share that information. It doesn’t matter how small it is,” he said. “Every little bit we get is important.”

Then he spoke about his daughter.

“Lauren is a child and person that is full of life, always on the go, fun to be with, and with a large circle of friends,” he said. “She’s very close to her mother. She spoke to her mother every day.”

Charlene stood behind her husband and bowed her head.

“We need everything we can get,” he said. “We are continuing in earnest every day. We are not going to give up. And that’s all I have to say.”

http://www.idsnews.com/news/story.aspx?id=81847

An article upthread says the purse found was not hers...belonged to a murder victim from Tuesday. Do they mean someone murdered last night? When was it found? Very confusing.

posted upthread in the presser that the purse and keys found were not hers but some other person murdered on the west side of town...

so, i wonder where her keys were??? i find it hard to believe that she would have left mr.4:30's apartment without her keys etc. and not have been aware that she didnt have them and would have had to go back to get them... maybe she didnt go into her apt. with mr.2:30 because they were going to someone elses apt. just to pick-up or drop off something and then went on to mr.4:30's apt.

im confused, lol... for her to have left her shoes and wallet at the bar - she was either really drunk or she intended to come back before they closed and get her stuff...

is the only sighting of her on the street at 4:30 from the guy whose apartment she was at? if so, this sighting may be completely fabricated by this last guy to see her... which would put her last sighting at 2:40 at smallwood with the other guy who... are these two men friends?

Just a couple thoughts..

The purse and keys.. A few posts ^ upthread ^ someone was theorizing that upon Lauren's setting out alone, barefoot for her walk home that she would have have most likely fairly quickly realized that she'd left her purse and keys to get into her apt.. Thus she wouldve headed back to friends house to retrieve these items.. And mentioned her possibly cutting thru an alleyway as a shortcut back to the friends house..

This confused me a little about this particular theory.. Maybe I missed it.. Have we been told that she at some point after having left the home to walk to her apt that she had initially left her purse and keys and so Lauren actually came back to the home to retrieve these items before once again heading out on foot to her apt?? And she then disappeared at this point??

I wasn't aware of this..that she'd had to return to retrieve these items????? Could someone clarify this for me? If this is true on which trip home did the male friend witness her walking to the corner of 11th?? The first time she left? Or when she left again with purse and keys??

I was under the impression she left the friends home one single time.. And assumed she had her purse and keys when she left and was witnessed by the male friemd to walk as far as to the corner of 11th.. This being last time she was seen.. Male friend being the last person to have seen Lauren.. And that her purse and keys were found to be somewhere along this route between the friends home and her apt...this was my understanding..

So, if I could please get this clarified about which is accurate account of what we k ow to have occurred in those early morning hours..

TIA:)

Hi SmoothOperator ... we have been getting such sketchy details that it's hard to know what is "accurate"! Here is where it gets confusing ... the route from the bar to the friend's apartment, and from the friend's apartment home, are almost the same. Her apartment was kind of in between the bar and the friend's place. I heard that her purse & keys were found on that route, but I don't think they know whether she lost them on her way to the friend's apartment, or on her way home to Smallwood. I wish I knew specifically where they found these items!! Either way, I think you're right, and that she only "left" the friend's place once.

Here is one "theory" of mine. IF she lost the purse on the way to the friend's apartment, then on her way home, she would have realized she didn't have her keys. Since the route was very similar, maybe she went looking for somewhere she could have set the purse down. For example, maybe on the way to the friend's place they stopped for a cigarette, or for someone to make a phone call, fix their shoes, etc., and she set the purse down on something and forgot it. Then went back into an alley or off the sidewalk looking for it, and ran into a lurking predator.

I still think it's more likely that someone she knew was involved in this rather than a complete stranger. But you never know!! When I was at IU, my best friend lived within a block of the bar Lauren visited that night, so I was frequently in that area, late at night. I am just dying to know what really happened.

ETA: Sounds like the purse & keys may be totally irrelevant anyway (not hers?). Another murder this week?? And if the other person was murdered on the west side why was her purse downtown? Gosh, this is all really confusing.

Wow, it was NOT her purse, but belonged to another homicide victim??

A woman was stabbed to death in her apartment on Tuesday on the other side of town from where Lauren went missing. SR 37 divides Bloomington (it runs north/south) and the two sides of town are pretty different from one another.

I think these reporters are trying to get everyone mixed up.They did find a purse on Tuesday and they had already found Lauren's purse and keys earlier.Two separate incidents is how I take it. *During the search Tuesday, a purse was found but police say the purse is not Spierer's, but it was actually related to a separate homicide that occurred Tuesday on the west side of Bloomington"

So the purses of both victims were found in the middle of different streets? Is that it? Or has Lauren's not been found?

And has someone been arrested for the homicide victim?

I stand by the press conference,although i'm sure there are quite a few details left out,for good reason.You know they are going to hold back.

So the purses of both victims were found in the middle of different streets? Is that it? Or has Lauren's not been found?

And has someone been arrested for the homicide victim?

yes two different areas and they have found Lauren's purse.I don't know if anyone has been arrested for the homicide.

Yes, the second homicide victim was Angela Holder. Bloomington police are looking for Bruce Foster who is her boyfriend and was seen arguing with her before her death.

I think the problem they are having with the path Lauren took is( A.)Can only get what they can from the camera's (B.)What the friends or associates are telling them.I don't think they are buying ("B.") maybe too many conflicting tales being told.So now we come to the polygraphs .That's where it stands.You know how it goes you separate these friends and ask questions then you get a different version of the last one.I think the police suspect something happened in the way of one or more in that group.

Thanks to you all for the updated info..Insp. Gidget my eyes welled up with tears In reading the part about mom and dad at the PC.. Their words and just as important and telling their body language and demeanors.. The pain, terror, and fear is felt even thru just reading and not seeing the PC.. It is so very difficult to watch, to read, and to see these human beings literally crippled with the terror and fear these families feel while in the midst of everyone of us as parents nightmare of all nightmares!! We have got to make these young women somehow understand that this world that we live in today is full of evil..and to be aware.. Aware.. Aware.. To no matter how safe and secure you may feel in a Small Town, USA to never let your guard down..to not be walking the streets alone.. But ya k ow as I type this post I realize what I am preaching and begging these young women to understand amd realize for their own personal safety.. That yes what I'm saying is the smart thing to do.. And we all do need to be aware and not alone walking home but I realize that it is just as likely of not more likely that who has done this to Lauren quite likely is not a stranger who stalked or saw a sudden opportunity to prey on this tiny young girl.. Much mkre likely it was one of the very people with whom Lauren probably felt most safe and secure with.. These friends and acquaintances with whom she was out doing what young people her age do.. Having a good time, yes indulging in alcohol but seems as tho responsible enough to not have been getting behind the wheels of their vehicles after drinking..

And yet seemingly among those who would be te very ones to protect her.. I'd say it's most likely one that has done this..

Then you look at Holly Bobo an early morning abduction of a girl minding her own biz, at her very own home as she got ready to leave for her school day of college classes.. Doing everything right, nothing at all even remotely risky as in behaviors(only referring to the walking alone at 4:30am)..totally opposite circumstances in every way but still the same. The tiny young girl ripped from her life in the blink of an eye by someone evil.. Whether known to them or a stranger..

So we can prepare the young girls of today in so very many ways.. Instill responsibility and sensibility in them and they be the utmost of careful and aware.. And still be ripped from their lives in the blink of an eye..

It scary.. Literay terrifying when u really began to break it all down.. See tbat it is happening EVERYWHERE!!! and our young women of today are try safe and secure NOWHERE!!!

How do we as women protect ourselves? How when this evil is striking EVERYWHERE!! the most rural of areas.. The most tiniest and coziest little college towns, and striking in our very own driveways of our very own homes!!!

It is just not ok.. Not ok at all.. And the overwhelming feeling of how to protect ourselves and are young daughters and grand daughters?? Protect against who? When so many times it's just as I said the trusted friends, coworkers, etc that are the monsters raping and killing these young women??????

It doesn't surprise me at all that she decided to leave early. Let's suppose for a second that the second apartment she went to, she went there with just one individual...a male she didn't know too well. She had a boyfriend. Maybe she decided she wasn't in a place where she should be for various reasons; because she has a boyfriend, how would she explain being out so late with another male, possibly a male she didn't know to well. If she was with a male she barely knew that evening it explains why he didn't walk her home. I think college kids do this kind of stuff all the time. I wonder where her boyfriend was that night. I do think she was probably highly intoxicated at least earlier in the night, hence forgetting her cell phone, which is definitely tied at everyone's hips these days, especially a college student. If you think back to a night of college drinking you could be three sheets to the wind when the bar closed, but after walking, and stopping from place to place, sometimes at 4:30 you THINK and your friends THINK you are sober, when in fact you are not. This is terrible and I wish girls would learn to at least always travel in pairs. Honestly, her behavior that night seems quite normal for many young girls her age - unfortunately. Some get lucky and make it home safe, and many others face far worse circumstances. I'm sure there is more to this story than we know. Does the other apartment building she went to that night have cameras? This was probably a crime of opportunity, not necessarily a construction worker, paper delivery person, etc.

Now this report has a different spin:Lauren was last seen walking south on College Avenue from 11th Street, just three blocks from her Bloomington residence. Surveillance cameras recorded Lauren returning home around 2:45 a.m. with a friend, who police have not identified. Police say they lingered in the lobby briefly but never entered Lauren's apartment.

Lauren and her friend next left for his apartment, located just a few blocks from Lauren's. Police say they stayed at the Lauren's friend's apartment for a short period of time, visiting multiple apartments in the building. According to police and information they derived from interviews, Lauren told her friends she was getting tired around 4:30 am and wanted to head home. The same boy who was with Lauren for the majority of the night walked her to the corner, police say. That was the last recorded sighting of Lauren.
http://www.amw.com/missing_persons/case.cfm?id=78395

So he went from looking out the window to walking her to the corner?Maybe his story keeps changing.Good thing they did the polygraphs

So he went from looking out the window to walking her to the corner?Maybe his story keeps changing.Good thing they did the polygraphs

Just catching up with the discussions on her fbook page:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/home.php?sk=group_135782709829261

Apparently, there had been a confrontational situation at her apt lobby caught on tape and that a "friend" now has a lawyer... All on fox49 or channel 11 on bloomington. Her father is apparently going to speak soon.

So, the male friend has lawyered up??

Do we know if the male IS the boyfriend or is NOT the boyfriend?

JMO

but I feel it's more likely that journalists are still trying to get their story straight. In the beginning a lot of reporting is he said \ she said conjecture based on the few hard facts available.

Until police say he has been changing his story it's probably better to assume it's the press evolving their story.

/JMO

I just located this one Bloomington police have interviewed several "persons of interest," including her boyfriend -- a fellow student at Indiana University, who saw Spierer in the hours before her disappearance but investigators still have no suspects.

"We've been interviewing everybody that was with her," Parker said earlier this week. "They've cooperated fully with letting us search their places, their cars.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/...en_leads_bZxpvgWtuXxCLFJWp3gDtI#ixzz1OjDwWDd6
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/..._bZxpvgWtuXxCLFJWp3gDtI?CMP=OTC-rss&FEEDNAME=

Just to clear up - it was only said in FOX49 that there was a confrontantion in the lobby - not that confrontantion was between Lauren and the male friend.

Just catching up with the discussions on her fbook page:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/home.php?sk=group_135782709829261

Apparently, there had been a confrontational situation at her apt lobby caught on tape and that a "friend" now has a lawyer... All on fox49 or channel 11 on bloomington. Her father is apparently going to speak soon.

So, the male friend has lawyered up??

Do we know if the male IS the boyfriend or is NOT the boyfriend?

I don't think the last male to see her was her boyfriend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member