IN - Lauren Spierer, 20, Bloomington, 03 June 2011 #11

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lovejac, try editing your post to add the url of the youtube page as a link, not the embed code for the video itself.

Did I fix it right?

I always have trouble with posting videos for some reason :waitasec:

Sorry if this has already been posted but on FOX59 they just reported the search tomorrow will be outside of Bloomington in rural Monroe County, and that police are currently working through 300 hours of video footage.

This might help explain why there are still unanswered questions as to what some of the cameras saw.

Hi all, I live in Bloomington (24 years old; went to IU - don't know anyone involved in the case, though) and have been lurking on these threads for some time. Just thought I'd share an interesting story that transpired last night:

The boyfriend and I were out walking, and decided to retrace Lauren's steps that night, just to set the scene and brainstorm. We walked from Smallwood up to 10th & College, then through the alleys to 5North, and finally back toward Smallwood along College.

First - the alley with the camera, where Lauren was from 2:48-2:51 is visible from MANY surrounding apartments, and even a pool belonging to Morton Mansions! It was pretty desolate and abandoned last night, but more students would have been around three weeks ago. So, someone uninvolved could have easily witnessed the "activity" in the alley ? This alley is VERY well-lit.

The final half-block's worth of alley, however, becomes much darker, with rougher gravel and glass on the ground, and is a steep incline uphill. As my bf and I walked through this alley, a white SUV drove west through the perpendicular alley (from College to Morton between 10th & 11th)...they stopped and just STARED at us, for MINUTES! It was dark and I couldn't really see the people in the car.

Bf and I freaked out and hid behind a tree, especially when they finally inched away from us only to PARK on Morton! It was just really spooky since we were standing right there at the scene of the crime and some mysterious car starts creepin'.

We continued around to the front of 5North. I noticed that I could overhear people hanging out inside one unit very easily -- like there was not much sound barrier. There is also a window on the east-facing side of the building through which you probably *can* see most of the way to the corner.

The construction project on the opposite side of 11th st is dark and massive, with many places someone could easily hide (or fall and hurt themselves). In fact, we noticed a man standing on the second story of the construction, completely in the dark, just staring out at us.

My bf pointed out that when there is a red light on 11th st (ppl waiting to turn south on College), the cars stop very close to the sidewalk. He thinks someone waiting at that light might have noticed Lauren, and convinced her to get in the car - "Hey, you going to Smallwood?" - and yes, you can tell who is likely to live in Smallwood by their clothes / demeanor. The place where the first car would be stopped at the light is (probably) just barely out of view from the window at 5North. JR could have *basically* seen her walk to the corner, but not quite far enough to see her getting into the first car stopped at the light. (At that time of night, it'd prob be the ONLY car, so no witnesses).

My bf used to run a bicycle taxi company in Bloomington, and his main job was to cart drunk people home, or from one bar to the next -- he has seen and talked with enough drunk Smallwood girls to know how willing they might be to get in a random vehicle at that time of night.

Anyway, we walked south on College. The sidewalk from 11th to 10th has very uneven pavement and a bunch of sharp-looking debri...bf was walking barefoot and speculated that it might feel better to walk in the road, esp if it were late and no one was around.

Just south of 10th Street, on the opposite (east) side of College is Carl Salzmann's office (he is CR's attorney). According to him, LS never passed by his security camera. We were trying to figure out exactly what part of College his camera was pointed at, when we noticed a cop car driving up to us!!

The cop pulled into Salzmann's parking lot and stopped. "How you folks doing tonight?" He explained that someone had called us in for "walking around and stopping and looking at things". ARE YOU SERIOUS? He wanted to know our names so he could check if there was a warrant out for our arrest. It must have been that creepy white SUV that stopped and leered at us for five minutes who called us in (when we were seriously just walking through a public alley).

Anyway, apparently Bton has become paranoid, to the point of harassing innocent couples out for an evening walk. That was a lovely touch. We pretty much went home at that point.

----

Another question: was there a cover charge that night at Kilroy's? If so, it'd be strange to be there only 44 minutes unless a) you were there for an unusual reason / circumstances; b) you ended up leaving earlier than planned.

Nice work. It's cool to hear about local folks caring so much - doesn't surprise me about Bton though. I'm also encouraged to see that level of surveillance going on. I mean, not that you should have been harassed or anything, but it seems like the cavalry has been brought in. Between the Texas nonprofit search crew, the FBI, and the retired FBI/police/profiler group we heard about earlier today, I can't imagine more could be done.

When is the break coming? :banghead:

Or the 2nd floor balcony

I forgot about those. I don't think he would have a good line of sight from there to see her until she reached the corner. Maybe that is why he mentions the corner tho.

I wonder if they're going back to the location they searched yesterday near Harrodsburg.

epiphany-That is a good catch. My interpretation of it was that she knew the reporter was asking about JW and for some reason shook her head while answering yes. Body language analysts may have a field day with that one :p
It could just be an involuntary head movement that means nothing though.

I wish I knew how to interpret "police speak" though. I cannot tell if the pc today means they have no idea what happened at all or if it is significant that they are emphasizing that no one has been ruled out...including JW.

Awesome, Bloom. Good for you and your BF for being so hands-on and investigative. A couple of things:

* JR's unit is the tall one on the west side of the complex, so he would have had to see her from his front door.

* I've been wondering about the noise level. That is helpful to know.
I took a picture of the view up 11th to College at night a couple threads back. Although I didn't know it at the time, I was standing directly in front of JR's apartment door. Also, to address the possibility of him looking out the window: the windows do not project over the sidewalk (they are flush with the front of the building), so you would not have enough of an angle to view up the sidewalk, past the neighboring retaining wall and structures (and a rather full tree with some low branches) in that dark half block between the east end of 5 North and the corner of 11th and College. You would have to stand out on the sidewalk to see that far up the street.

Bloom, my partner and I had a similar experience when we went over there the other evening. Someone was sitting in that lot behind 5 North with their headlights on watching us.

I took a picture of the view up 11th to College at night a couple threads back. Although I didn't know it at the time, I was standing directly in front of JR's apartment door. Also, to address the possibility of him looking out the window: the windows do not project over the sidewalk (they are flush with the front of the building), so you would not have enough of an angle to view up the sidewalk, past the neighboring retaining wall and structures (and a rather full tree with some low branches) in that dark half block between the east end of 5 North and the corner of 11th and College. You would have to stand out on the sidewalk to see that far up the street.

Bloom, my partner and I had a similar experience when we went over there the other evening. Someone was sitting in that lot behind 5 North with their headlights on watching us.

Long-time, but if JR is in one of the upper bedrooms in the tower he might see her at some point on the sidewalk if there is a window east facing.

You certainly have the right to speculate, but IMO it's better to base speculation on facts as we're told them by MSM.

In my experience, with all of the cases I have followed here, MSM does NOT always report things correctly. It is unfortunate, but it does happen.

Also, to address the possibility of him looking out the window: the windows do not project over the sidewalk (they are flush with the front of the building),

I'm not suggesting he's looking out the window, rather that he's leaning out the (open) window and looking up the street.

After interviewing the "second-tier," LE is going back to all who had direct contact with LS that morning. LE does not appear to even believe all that they've been told by the first-tier as to what went on prior to L's disappearance. They need corroboration (video), and don't have it yet. All those mentioned (IMO, that means CW, CR, JR, MB and possibly DR) have not been cleared (Capt JQ this morning):

Police have interviewed a "second tier" of Spierer's friends and associates to collect background information. After speaking with people, investigators are back at "square one," trying to determine from those who had direct contact with Spierer "what went on," he said.

http://www.heraldtimesonline.com/stories/2011/06/24/news.933361.sto

Question to JR: What did you think about the fact that LS was walking barefoot? Did that concern you at all?

But most of her friends likely don't know anything.
Assuming LS had some sort of accidental death and somebody hid her body-LS is very small so potentially one person could manage to hide the body without any help. And if it's a stranger abduction, then none of her friends would know anything. I don't believe there is some giant conspiracy by her friends to hide the information.

BBM

How about a miniscule conspiracy :crazy:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members