IN - Lauren Spierer, 20, Bloomington, 03 June 2011 - #14

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The question is, how hard is it to actually, physically recover the data? How is such data saved? In the telephone, on a server somewhere? Does it involve intensive data-mining? Of course, there's no doubt that the police would have been working on it ASAP.

I'm just trying to assess the likelihood that LE would be able to recover anything useful from this or if it is a needle-in-the-haystack at best.

I suppose it is safe to assume that if they had a 'ping' from, say, JR's phone in Gnaw Bone, Indiana 90 minutes after he last reported seeing her, they'd be a lot closer to finding her and cracking the case.
LE does it every day in cases all over the country. It's very common stuff. Ping info is kept on remote servers. I'm not sure if the data comes from the company operating the towers or from the phone company, or if that varies. I think I do remember reading about one case where the data had to be retrieved from the tower location itself.

I know that in rural areas covered by few towers it can be tough to pin down locations but that also depends on what kind of antenna the tower has and, as somebody else has pointed out, the GPS capability of newer phones makes things easier. I agree that if LE doesn't have ping info already they will have it soon.

I would also like to add some things I learned from following the Caylee Anthony case about cell pings.

1. You do not have to be actively using the phone for it to ping.
2. Even if your phone is powered down, it will ping.
3. The only way a cell phone will not ping, is if the battery is disconnected from it.

I have trouble believing LS could have taken two steps, let alone turn the corner at College Av. The suggestion that she was walking all the way to JW's seems nearly impossible. But following that theory...are you suggesting she made it all the way to JW's and something bad happened there or are we back to possibility of random abduction along the way? And I guess then you would buy the story that it was LS making the call to DR. Not challenging...just trying to take it a step further.

Didn't she leave Smallwood about 2:40? If she was able to walk down the alley for at least 10 mins. (she was last caught on camera around 2:51?), what makes you think she couldn't take 2 steps at 4:30? From what I understand, MB says she left their place around 3:30 and he CLAIMS it was b/c he didn't want to party. If that's true, unless he gave her something (or she took something there), she had over an hour to sober up a bit, after leaving the bar, right? Not sure I have all times correct. OK so she heads to JR's to party (honestly I think if this is true, she probably was wanting coke. I heard rumors that she was saying at the bar that she had taken Xanex and alcohol and wanted Coke). If that's what she may have done with JR, unless she OD, this would likely ramp her up a bit and counteract the effects of the alcohol and Xanex, therefore enabling her to walk to JW's. JMO

I'm not sure what you mean by "White Knights". I find it a bit strange that JW was trying to connect with LS a good part of the evening and then just went to bed. I am guessing that since he spends a good amount of his time at Smallwood (can find a link), I would think that he heard about the altercation with CR when his girlfriend was with him from others that reside at Smallwood. Of course, I do not have proof of this. Just wondering.

JW's actions are strange, and unfortunately nothing has come out to dispell any of them. Has his lawyer said anything?

Would love to know more about his phone records from about 1 AM until 3 PM.

I would also like to add some things I learned from following the Caylee Anthony case about cell pings.

1. You do not have to be actively using the phone for it to ping.
2. Even if your phone is powered down, it will ping.
3. The only way a cell phone will not ping, is if the battery is disconnected from it.

I don't follow that case. what is your guess if the battery is dead but still connected to the phone? ping or no ping?

It seems to be a fair question.

Another question is: How do we know he just went to bed? I mean, is
there eyewitness confirmation or do we only have his word?
(Not assuming he is lying or guilty of anything but it seems a fair
question just as there are fair questions to be asked elsewhere too.)

I'm not assuming they are lying either, but I believe it was his roommate that said they just went to bed.

So many questions, and no answers..especially from JR and JW. I'm not saying they are connected at all - it sounds like they aren't, but there just seems to be a lot of missing information. Frustrating for all of us - most of all for Lauren's family of course.

Does anyone know how they serve search warrants if the renter is out of town? Or could it be that CR, MB & JW have agreed to searches without a warrant?

JR & his lawyers may not be agreeing to searches without a warrant. Which might mean that LE doesn't have enough evidence to get one.

Or perhaps it's a tactical move to make CR & JW think the focus is shifting off of JR onto them so that they give up any additional information they might have about the night (i.e., they might be holding on to self-incriminating info about drugs, etc.)?

I don't follow that case. what is your guess if the battery is dead but still connected to the phone? ping or no ping?
Even if the battery seems dead it can ping for a while. It takes a lot less power for the phone to make the ping connection with a tower than it does to run the other phone functions. How long it pings after the battery seems dead depends on the particular phone and battery, and eventually all batteries will go dead.

Press release about upcoming news conference

The parents of LS have requested an opportunity to meet with media representatives to make a statement regarding the ongoing investigation into the disappearance of their daughter.

As a result of that request, the BPD will host a news conference on Friday, July 1, 2011 at 11:00 a.m. (EDT).

The exact details of their statement have not been finalized at the time of this news release. As of now, neither the parents nor LE are expected to take questions at the news conference.

Unlike the early reports of this Friday conference, it sounds as if BPD is not really participating, but just hosting the LS family to make whatever the statement they are making turns out to be.

Well, I can tell you at least one of them is indeed neck deep in this case, because I have seen and interacted with him at McNutt. That building is the Glenn Black Lab, which is attached to the Mathers Museum.

I recognized two of them from when I went to one of the searches at McNutt.

Current theories of the case, in order of what seems to be believed here:
1. JR (possibly with friend that is visiting from home) are responsible for hiding deceased LS
2. LS leaves JR intact, meets up with JW, harm comes to her
3. LS leaves JR intact, goes missing (random abduction or lost in unknown accident)
4. LS leaves JR residence, meets another person, possibly at College and 10th, (? don't know the suspected end of this theory)
5. LS never makes it to 5 North, and CR/MB/JR in conspiracy

So, other than differing details in the above, does anyone have a theory that doesn't fit one of the above?

1. JR (possibly with friend that is visiting from home) are responsible for hiding deceased LS
3. LS leaves JR intact, goes missing (random abduction or lost in unknown accident)
4. LS leaves JR residence, meets another person, possibly at College and 10th, (? don't know the suspected end of this theory)

So, other than differing details in the above, does anyone have a theory that doesn't fit one of the above?

Seems like that should sum it up - other than her running away, which seems most unlikely, but it does happen.

Does anyone know how they serve search warrants if the renter is out of town? Or could it be that CR, MB & JW have agreed to searches without a warrant?

JR & his lawyers may not be agreeing to searches without a warrant. Which might mean that LE doesn't have enough evidence to get one.

Or perhaps it's a tactical move to make CR & JW think the focus is shifting off of JR onto them so that they give up any additional information they might have about the night (i.e., they might be holding on to self-incriminating info about drugs, etc.)?

Don't know. I suppose they might be able to bypass the tenant and go through the owner. Course in this case, that would be JR's frat brother in which case they're effed.

OMG! Poor Lauren :( The first two guys mugshots look like they are up to no good.

Not sure how likely these are, but I'd also include-

-non-random abduction to #3

-the end of the #4 theory would be that she left JR, met up with another person and something happened to her

-#6 LS runs away on her own

Regarding the Smallwood "No tresspass" list. Based on what I've read over the past few weeks, it is not a legal document or procedure. It is rather loosey goosey, informal. Tenants can ask for an annoying person to be put on the list, for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marni