IN - Lauren Spierer, 20, Bloomington, 03 June 2011 - #14

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, the 4 year old picked #1 too, even though I pointed them out to her in reverse order. :fencefall:

Interesting...just had my 3 year old daughter snuggle up on the couch with me while I was looking at the link. She touched face/picture #1 and said "he looks like a scary bad guy." (Of course, she followed that up with Spiderman is real, so the poll is very unscientific.) I just thought it is interesting how kids interpret pictures.

They have quite a few, you are right...and LE has not been able to find a way to bring charges...and she was never found, it has been 15 years...

Going try to be an optimist here...lots has changed in terms of DNA evidence, digital device tracking, etc. in the past 15 years. I really believe that will help bring an answer for LS's parents.

If you click on that pic, it enlarges-then click again and it advances to the next pic. The next pic states that the man in the black shirt is exiting JR's townhome. If this is accurate, then they did indeed search JR's place yesterday.

Its accurate.

I'm curious about cadaver dogs and what they detect. I understand they detect human remains but how sensitive is this? For example if I have a heart attack and die of natural causes, I assume this would be detected? What if I slip into a coma from drinking too much and am just unresponsive but still living, would this be detected if I was quickly moved while still technically alive? What if I am attacked or assaulted and injured but actually die in another location?

I am just wondering what they pick up on, sorry to be morbid.

If you click on that pic, it enlarges-then click again and it advances to the next pic. The next pic states that the man in the black shirt is exiting JR's townhome. If this is accurate, then they did indeed search JR's place yesterday.

Thanks!

I don't see anyone caring plastic bags of evidence. Does anyone know what kind of dog this is and if one type is better than another for certain types of searches? Is this a border collie? They are used for both drug-sniffing and cadaver detection from what I read.

Even if the battery seems dead it can ping for a while. It takes a lot less power for the phone to make the ping connection with a tower than it does to run the other phone functions. How long it pings after the battery seems dead depends on the particular phone and battery, and eventually all batteries will go dead.

thanks chilli fries. what is your guess if the battery is still connected to the phone and the battery is dead. ping or no ping?

I'd like to know when JR's friend departed and if he left alone or not. It's his "pings" I'd be interested in.

http://www.heraldtimesonline.com/stories/2011/06/30/news.qp-0075723.sto

If you read this article, it is clear that everyone, including Lauren, had problems with substance abuse. This is one of the cleaner articles I have read that consolidates that theory. hate to say it, but I am beginning to lose sympathy here. I would suggest that after the PC tomorrow, attention should be shifted. It should not be shifted to the cliche DARE 'Don't Do Drugs'. Rather, it should focus on HOW these tragic things happen to seemingly good people, who had no intention of harming themselves, or others. Substance abuse is a mental disorder. There are ways to help, but it takes time, patience, and practice. it appears Lauren Spierer had a choice here. She was arrested previously. Nearly everyone she was with (confirmed) that night had prior convictions as well. It will not be 'all right', things don't just 'work out'. Anyone with these type of history should AVOID situations that would make them want to indulge, for it is a DISEASE that must be treated. I hope we find Lauren, I really do. However, in the past few days I have had a massive paradigm shift. If you don't want to have bad things happen to you, don't hang out with people who cannot control their actions and are menaces to society. Everyone always thinks they are invincible. "It won't happen to me!". This is a tragic story! But, I have to admit, I am beginning to agree with some people here: why is the media portraying Lauren Spierer as completely innocent? It appears, at least via these articles, that she had a problem. The underlying theme to this entire investigation shouldn't necessarily be that her friends are murders (though, they may be?). It should be that drugs and alcohol can kill you, and if you have a problem, you need to get help.

I hope we find her; but I also hope this is a wake-up call for many, many people. College kids party. We drink, we smoke pot. But, getting arrested multiple times and being charged is not very normal. I attended Purdue for my undergrad, MIT for my grad, and now am a PhD at Yale (engineering); I know that college kids party.

But trust me, there is a lesson to this. Just my opinion.

Somebody may have already made a reference to the Kristin Smart case, but the LS case has many of the same elements that led to her disappearance.
http://www.readersroom.com/coldcasejune.html - Cold Case Investigations
Here are a few excerpts from the article- "On the night of May 25, 1996, Kristin was attending a fraternity party with several other students. Around 2 am, she left the party with another student by the name of Paul Flores. Flores claims to have walked Kristin home, however Kristin never made it home."
" Paul Flores and his family have refused to cooperate with police. He'd made a statement with campus police the next morning, stating he'd walked her to her dorm then they went their separate ways."
"Two months later, police searched the dorms with "cadaver" dogs. Those are dogs trained to detect human remains. The dogs led police straight to Flores's dorm room, and to his mattress. However, there was no physical evidence to be found."
The case is still open.
Wiki link- Disappearance of Kristin Smart - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Both are worth the read, ALOT of similarities IMO.

Wow. Really sad to see that this case is still unsolved more than 10 years later. However, in the LS case I think they will find the person (s) responsible. I suspect this is an O.D./murder and that there is more than one person involved and I believe that at some point the case will be solved and arrests made, in contrast to the Kristin Smart case.

If you read this article, it is clear that everyone, including Lauren, had problems with substance abuse. This is one of the cleaner articles I have read that consolidates that theory. hate to say it, but I am beginning to lose sympathy here. I would suggest that after the PC tomorrow, attention should be shifted. It should not be shifted to the cliche DARE 'Don't Do Drugs'. Rather, it should focus on HOW these tragic things happen to seemingly good people, who had no intention of harming themselves, or others. Substance abuse is a mental disorder. There are ways to help, but it takes time, patience, and practice. it appears Lauren Spierer had a choice here. She was arrested previously. Nearly everyone she was with (confirmed) that night had prior convictions as well. It will not be 'all right', things don't just 'work out'. Anyone with these type of history should AVOID situations that would make them want to indulge, for it is a DISEASE that must be treated. I hope we find Lauren, I really do. However, in the past few days I have had a massive paradigm shift. If you don't want to have bad things happen to you, don't hang out with people who cannot control their actions and are menaces to society. Everyone always thinks they are invincible. "It won't happen to me!". This is a tragic story! But, I have to admit, I am beginning to agree with some people here: why is the media portraying Lauren Spierer as completely innocent? It appears, at least via these articles, that she had a problem. The underlying theme to this entire investigation shouldn't necessarily be that her friends are murders. It should be that drugs and alcohol can kill you, and if you have a problem, you need to get help.

I hope we find her; but I also hope this is a wake-up call for many, many people. College kids party. We drink, we smoke pot. But, getting arrested multiple times and being charged is not very normal. I attended Purdue for my undergrad, MIT for my grad, and now am a PhD at Yale (engineering); I know that college kids party.

What it also tends to prove is the program colleges use (Alcohol U, etc.) are NOT working in the least to deter underage drinking and in fact most college-town bars probably would not survive if they actually only served those over 21...and that no parent should believe their child will be any different, IMO...

If you read this article, it is clear that everyone, including Lauren, had problems with substance abuse. This is one of the cleaner articles I have read that consolidates that theory. hate to say it, but I am beginning to lose sympathy here. I would suggest that after the PC tomorrow, attention should be shifted. It should not be shifted to the cliche DARE 'Don't Do Drugs'. Rather, it should focus on HOW these tragic things happen to seemingly good people, who had no intention of harming themselves, or others. Substance abuse is a mental disorder. There are ways to help, but it takes time, patience, and practice. it appears Lauren Spierer had a choice here. She was arrested previously. Nearly everyone she was with (confirmed) that night had prior convictions as well. It will not be 'all right', things don't just 'work out'. Anyone with these type of history should AVOID situations that would make them want to indulge, for it is a DISEASE that must be treated. I hope we find Lauren, I really do. However, in the past few days I have had a massive paradigm shift. If you don't want to have bad things happen to you, don't hang out with people who cannot control their actions and are menaces to society. Everyone always thinks they are invincible. "It won't happen to me!". This is a tragic story! But, I have to admit, I am beginning to agree with some people here: why is the media portraying Lauren Spierer as completely innocent? It appears, at least via these articles, that she had a problem. The underlying theme to this entire investigation shouldn't necessarily be that her friends are murders (though, they may be?). It should be that drugs and alcohol can kill you, and if you have a problem, you need to get help.

You might want to hold off on determining her degree of innocence until we know what happened.

Get off the soapbox. Clearly, any educated person in America knows that there are drinking and drug problems amongst college students in the US. We are talking about a missing girl who, in all liklehood, is dead. We should be investigating the fact that drugs and alchohal can kill you? thank you for that newsflash and head to the MADD message board.

thanks chilli fries. what is your guess if the battery is still connected to the phone and the battery is dead. ping or no ping?

If the phone is off, it will not ping. The cell network will close off it's ESN from the network. The carrier just would see that as wasted bandwidth, i.e., clearly this person is not using the network right now, drop them off of it.

What may be available, however, is GPS coordinates, which typically DO work when the phone is off. This isn't a ping, though, and it's mainly for e911 use. I have no idea if the carriers are able to get this data or not. It was proven a few months back that phones such as the Android OS models and the famous iPhone actually log this data; there was a huge uproar about that earlier this year. Interesting, though not sure on the details of that. Google is your friend,

Hope that helps

A

What it also tends to prove is the program colleges use (Alcohol U, etc.) are NOT working in the least to deter underage drinking and in fact most college-town bars probably would not survive if they actually only served those over 21...and that no parent should believe their child will be any different, IMO...

It's such a dirty little secret. Underage drinking, university looking the other way, it's all about the economy.

But isn't that the way it is all over the place? We play games. Take, for instance, in NY. You go into any deli, gas station, newsstand, and behind the counter will be dozens of different types of cigars. Grape, Vanilla, Watermelon, you name the flavor, they have it Bluntville, Blunt wraps, dutch's, all these cigars are sold for one reason: to roll weed. I'm not against rolling the weed, but I am against the hypocrisy of making believe that it is something other than what it is. I'd like to hear the cigar companies say, "We are well aware that the much of our product is sold to administer illegal drugs". Not holding my breath.

Get off the soapbox. Clearly, any educated person in America knows that there are drinking and drug problems amongst college students in the US. We are talking about a missing girl who, in all liklehood, is dead. We should be investigating the fact that drugs and alchohal can kill you? thank you for that newsflash and head to the MADD message board.

Whoa now, I am in no way trying to flash an argument, I am just merely suggesting that we are about to see a very big shift in the 'mood' of this investigation. Just my opinion, of course. Even the images they have chosen; everything. It is to present a completely innocent college woman. I agree alcohol and drugs do not make people disappear, but it would not have happened had Lauren Spierer learned an appropriate lesson from her prior run-ins with the law. Again, just my opinion.

Lauren is small enough that she could have become a victim even if totally sober, but the degree of intoxication of the perp, if in fact there is one, could be a factor. Drunk or drugged persons may have reacted to a natural death in a way they might not have done if they had been sober. Or if she was intoxicated and ended up in some as yet to be discovered hole, etc...then clearly alcohol/drugs probably contributed to her death. But right now, without knowing what happened and who is involved, it is not a given that the alcohol/drug culture plays a role, though it certainly adds to the drama and possibilities.

It's such a dirty little secret. Underage drinking, university looking the other way, it's all about the economy.

But isn't that the way it is all over the place? We play games. Take, for instance, in NY. You go into any deli, gas station, newsstand, and behind the counter will be dozens of different types of cigars. Grape, Vanilla, Watermelon, you name the flavor, they have it Bluntville, Blunt wraps, dutch's, all these cigars are sold for one reason: to roll weed. I'm not against rolling the weed, but I am against the hypocrisy of making believe that it is something other than what it is. I'd like to hear the cigar companies say, "We are well aware that the much of our product is sold to administer illegal drugs". Not holding my breath.

Here's your next story.

You might want to hold off on determining her degree of innocence until we know what happened.

But we can hang JR, JW and maybe even CR and DR at will.

I take into consideration that she was young, and it pains me that her parents have to hear this stuff, but Lauren's condition, how much she had to drink, what drugs she may have taken, are very important to the investigation and to an honest account of the story. I do not judge her, believe me, that could have been me, I have partied a lot worse in my day. But you can't hide your head in the sand either.

And that goes to the 3:38am witness, because she is the one who has given the most vivid description of Lauren's condition. I could see why some people just don't want to believe what she is saying -- and I'm not talking about the timeline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Starlitedragon