IN - Lauren Spierer, 20, Bloomington, 03 June 2011 #33

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe JW skipped town before he was named a poi.

Named by LE? The media? When was he 'named a POI'? JR was the first to leave town - I believe he had hired Voyles and left town by the Monday or Tues after Lauren's disappearance (He wasn't named in the media as a POI until much later). JW left after that, followed not too long after by the guys at 5 N.

IIRC, JW's dad and the Spierers arrived in Bloomington the same day.

Speculating a step further (regarding the actions of JW's family): From my research, I can't find any comments from the 5N POIs' parents. This could simply mean the 5N POIs' parents have more compassion than JW's family, which isn't saying much or maybe no compassion and just control their tempers around the press. Regardless, it is interesting, IMO.

JW's family: I think the comments of JW's mom were completely out of line but also weird. No parent should speak out the way she did, but wouldn't it make more sense if the 5N Parents spoke up/snapped under the pressure of the media in an effort to "clear their innocent son"? JW has received minimal attacking compared to them, so I'm not understanding her motive, UNLESS there is something to hide. Also, JW's dad comes into town, IMO prematurely, and confronts CR's at his apt with JW. (http://archive.lohud.com/article/20...ered-away-after-night-heavy-drinking-drug-use). Regarding JW, it can be argued whether or not his actions to report LS missing so soon made sense, but the fact is it was reported soon and under the circumstances of "I wasn't with her she was with other people". It seems JW's family have been aggressively steering this case in a certain direction from the very beginning. Maybe they simply don't handle a crisis well or maybe they have another motive....

IMO, JW is a top suspect. If he wasn't directly involved, indirectly is very likely. CR/MB knew LS for a week and while friends/acquaintances, LS and JR weren't close, whereas JW would know her habits, other people she associated with etc - aka would have a much better guess where she may have gone/tried to go (assuming she left JRs) and for some reason isn't speaking up. If you can entertain the theory LS left JRs, the silence of JW and LS' "real friends" is a lot scarier than the silence of a people she only knew a week or loose acquaintances, IMO.

*I'm not substituting silence for compassion. I agree the 5N boys should express sympathy and emotion toward LS and offer info if they have it because it is humane. By silence I mean if they really have no more information to offer, people LS was closer to (JW, HT, maybe ZC?)would have much more valuable information to offer. The silence from her real friends is something I've always found very odd about the case - unless they have spoken to LE and we aren't looped in.

IMO, the silence from the 5N family isn't compassion, but a combination of not knowing LS and her family personally + doing what they think is best for their kid. They would be compassionate (to the Spierers) if they reached out to the Spierers themselves and encouraged their kids to be open about that night, especially CR and MB's parents since they supposedly weren't even the last to see her.

JW's family has definitely made it known that they think something happened at 5N, but the 5N group has tried to paint a picture that is very different from what witnesses and video described, so IMO 5N has been even more "aggressive" about steering the case in a certain direction. Regardless, even the Spierers themselves have been much more aggressive about their thoughts on 5N. Because of the finger pointing between JW and the 5N group though, I seriously doubt that they worked together.

I do hope that LS' friends have come forward with any information about her routines, although I'm not sure how well it would help given that LS seemed to be hanging with people she normally didn't hang out with and the descriptions of her by witnesses and videos suggest she may have been too incapacitated to do much.

ZC was actually introduced to LS that night by CR. It sounds like the only person she knew for awhile was JR.

JMO.

Speculating a step further (regarding the actions of JW's family): From my research, I can't find any comments from the 5N POIs' parents. This could simply mean the 5N POIs' parents have more compassion than JW's family, which isn't saying much or maybe no compassion and just control their tempers around the press. Regardless, it is interesting, IMO.

JW's family: I think the comments of JW's mom were completely out of line but also weird. No parent should speak out the way she did, but wouldn't it make more sense if the 5N Parents spoke up/snapped under the pressure of the media in an effort to "clear their innocent son"? JW has received minimal attacking compared to them, so I'm not understanding her motive, UNLESS there is something to hide. Also, JW's dad comes into town, IMO prematurely, and confronts CR's at his apt with JW. (http://archive.lohud.com/article/20...ered-away-after-night-heavy-drinking-drug-use). Regarding JW, it can be argued whether or not his actions to report LS missing so soon made sense, but the fact is it was reported soon and under the circumstances of "I wasn't with her she was with other people". It seems JW's family have been aggressively steering this case in a certain direction from the very beginning. Maybe they simply don't handle a crisis well or maybe they have another motive....

IMO, JW is a top suspect. If he wasn't directly involved, indirectly is very likely. CR/MB knew LS for a week and while friends/acquaintances, LS and JR weren't close, whereas JW would know her habits, other people she associated with etc - aka would have a much better guess where she may have gone/tried to go (assuming she left JRs) and for some reason isn't speaking up. If you can entertain the theory LS left JRs, the silence of JW and LS' "real friends" is a lot scarier than the silence of a people she only knew a week or loose acquaintances, IMO.

*I'm not substituting silence for compassion. I agree the 5N boys should express sympathy and emotion toward LS and offer info if they have it because it is humane. By silence I mean if they really have no more information to offer, people LS was closer to (JW, HT, maybe ZC?)would have much more valuable information to offer. The silence from her real friends is something I've always found very odd about the case - unless they have spoken to LE and we aren't looped in.
As I recall, someone claiming to be MB's mother posted comments on either the IDS or H-T website. She claimed that MB's computer usage records were his alibi.

Along the same lines of things that cast suspicion on JW, wasn't there a rumor that a dog traced LS to JW's back door, but it could not be determined whether that was her final walk or just a route she frequently walked?

One more thing: is it true that JW's parents got to Bton before the Spierers?

Named by LE? The media? When was he 'named a POI'? JR was the first to leave town - I believe he had hired Voyles and left town by the Monday or Tues after Lauren's disappearance (He wasn't named in the media as a POI until much later). JW left after that, followed not too long after by the guys at 5 N.

The correct answer is both. Check publications for 10 June, 2011.

I hadn't read that article completely through. Thanks for linking it. If most of the statements made in it are true I have revised my POI list slightly.

1)JW- lawyered up for "no reason", won't take a polygraph, no verifiable alibi, had motive, opportunity, admitted to smoking marijuana, could have done other drugs, made a display of his violent temper, twice. Reported her missing late afternoon, Called Parent immediately to come "move him", not to go look for his girlfriend, left without finishing classes on Monday following her disappearance. Has never attempted to assist in looking for her whether he believes or knows she's dead or alive. Parents publicly indignant, and hateful, saying she's dead because of her drug use. How do they know this?

2) JR- had opportunity, admitted he was alone with LS, possible motive, spent the previous weekend camping with Lauren, possibly interested in her, was not reported to be with any girlfriend or girl friend, admitted to taking up to at least 10 shots of Belvedere vodka, last seen with her, story she walked away is difficult to believe. SAYS car was in the shop, was that ever verified? Was it ever out of the shop? If not ...is his car with LS inside still gone...maybe at the bottom of a Lake, River or ditch? Lawyered up, won't take a polygraph

3) DR- came forward to help right away, motive (gave or shared illegal kolonopin known to cause Long QT or prolong it), spent weekend camping the previous weekend with LS, and may have been interested and jealous , opportunity, received a call from JR or LS that night (never answered phone but may have seen the missed call and went found her walking or laying unconscious) depending on polygraph questions may not have lied but never reported finding her or hiding her

4) DB or other friend __F staying there visiting that night. he's friends and business partners with DB and JR. Opportunity, motive. No one mentions either as being there, seeing LS or leaving before they were scheduled to..just when the weekend was starting.

MB and CR are last on my list. Too many witnesses, including each other, JR would not admit to her being there last, if he didn't know MB would tell police she was with him last. MB wouldn't tell police she was with any of them, if there were no other witnesses to contradict him and if he was and planned a cover story to protect JR and CR. I just can't get the pieces, timeline, witnesses, calls, video to account for all three of them involved and not having a cover story, or MB and CR going back out for her after or while she's at JRs.

I think CRs amnesia is nothing more than a drunken blackout, with memory loss, who molested her in front of numerous witnesses and probably on video. With no plan or nefarious intent. I just think he is a jerk and probably not too smart. I also read and only my opinion, (didn't go look for the link because I'm on my phone but I will edit and add later) that CR and maybe one other POI gave dna samples. If your motive or actions involved physical contact, you wouldn't give dna voluntarily.

I think MB was drinking and trying to finish his paper, wasn't wanting any part of JW, CR, LS, JR, DR, drama. Only put CR to bed so LS would call it a night and took her to JR because he was too tired, drunk, lazy to walk her home and or find her phone.

I think LS used drinking or drugs as an enticement to get MB or JR to walk her home and to find her phone. I think they were initially just afraid of law enforcement, being stopped on the street, being tickets for being drunk in public (she obviously was), contributing to a minor in possession...etc and refused to put themselves at risk to get her home. When she refused to stay, they can't hold her against her will either. They were in trouble no matter what they did but the contradictory stories may have resulted from trying to wiggle out of that rock and hard place.

All my opinions, subject to change. :)

Lots of details here to think about. I do wonder about JW's parents blaming drug use for LS being dead. I'm wondering who supplied the klonopin. She allegedly did it with DR. It would be useful to know whether she or he had access to it. If it was LS (and I'm not judging here), where did she get it from? The same question applies to DR.

Re: CR. I pretty much agree. He could have blacked out ... but also probably knows more than he's letting on. I certainly don't think he was as bad off as LS. And I do think he's hiding behind the amnesia. While he probably didn't give her the (alleged) klonopin (though they could perhaps have done more together), he did provide alcohol. And, he could also have left her at SW ...

I don't understand what you mean about LS using drinking or drugs to get MB or JR to walk her home and find her phone, though. I just don't think she was in any condition to do that. ??? It's interesting to consider that JR may have refused to walk her home because he was afraid of getting busted. That said, I still have doubts that she was able to walk on her own volition. JMO.

I just meant in reference to the PIs interviews with JR and MB. And them stating she was inviting them to Smallwood to continue drinking, right after saying she was trying to reach friends at Smallwood by phone looking for her phone.. I just think she was looking for her phone in a drunken stupor and wanting them to help her find it (linked article)

If she was just looking for her phone, why didn't she (or they) just call it?

As I recall, someone claiming to be MB's mother posted comments on either the IDS or H-T website. She claimed that MB's computer usage records were his alibi.

Along the same lines of things that cast suspicion on JW, wasn't there a rumor that a dog traced LS to JW's back door, but it could not be determined whether that was her final walk or just a route she frequently walked?

One more thing: is it true that JW's parents got to Bton before the Spierers?

No information about the dogs was ever released by LE or in MSM - it was all just rumor, mostly from anonymous people here. The only rumor that wasn't anonymous was that dogs belonging to a psychic and LE's cadaver dogs hit in the same place, near the dumpster behind 5 N - posted on FB by the 'psychic' person, but confirmed by one of the search organizers (D.C.). It's the rumor about the LE search dogs that I'm interested in, but it was never verified in any way.

I don't think we know what time JW's parents arrived - only that his dad arrived the same day as the Spierers.

I think CRs amnesia is nothing more than a drunken blackout, with memory loss, who molested her in front of numerous witnesses and probably on video. With no plan or nefarious intent. I just think he is a jerk and probably not too smart. I also read and only my opinion, (didn't go look for the link because I'm on my phone but I will edit and add later) that CR and maybe one other POI gave dna samples. If your motive or actions involved physical contact, you wouldn't give dna voluntarily.

It was reported that CR gave a DNA sample, but when asked directly, his lawyer wouldn't confirm that this was true.

Other media outlets have reported that Rossman has given police a DNA sample. Salzmann did not confirm that DNA was given to police, and said that some reports out of the New York area about DNA evidence are false.

http://ww.heraldtimesonline.com/stories/2011/06/10/news.qp-7359886.sto

In any case, I've never thought giving a DNA sample is very telling one way or another here. What would they have to lose? They were already admitting to having been with her that night and her being at both of their apartments at 5 N. And in reference to sexual assault, hypothetically, if they knew she wasn't coming back, the DNA would be irrelevant if she wasn't found, and if she was, they could just say anything that happened was consensual.

Police have no suspects in the disappearance of missing Indiana University student Lauren Spierer, but said today that her long time boyfriend is one of 10 persons of interest.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/lauren-spierer-search-boyfriend-person-interest/story?id=13809364

Thanks @DT. I wasn't questioning whether he was named a POI, just wondering about Jacobite's comment about JW leaving town before he was named a POI. Both he and the guys at 5 N were questioned right away by LE, though they weren't named in the media until later, and all of them left town within a short period of time -- most notably, JR, who disappeared within a couple of days and (unlike the others) before his name was even mentioned in the media.

If she was just looking for her phone, why didn't she (or they) just call it?
We don't know they didn't. Nobody reportedly answered when JW was calling either until the next day. That leads me to believe it was probably outside with her shoes until they opened.

We don't know they didn't. Nobody reportedly answered when JW was calling either until the next day. That leads me to believe it was probably outside with her shoes until they opened.

Well, the PIs have said 2 calls were made, to DR and another male at Smallwood. And according to the lawsuit docs, the POI themselves, in the latest version of their stories, do not say they were looking for Lauren's phone. They say they were looking for someone to help get her home.

Thanks @DT. I wasn't questioning whether he was named a POI, just wondering about Jacobite's comment about JW leaving town before he was named a POI. Both he and the guys at 5 N were questioned right away by LE, though they weren't named in the media until later, and all of them left town within a short period of time -- most notably, JR, who disappeared within a couple of days and (unlike the others) before his name was even mentioned in the media.
He was a person of interest right away and the Spierers said Monday he was all about giving everyone polygraphs and Tuesday he was gone. I do not think JR left earlier than JW. Sounds like they may have left at the same time...odd.

He was a person of interest right away and the Spierers said Monday he was all about giving everyone polygraphs and Tuesday he was gone. I do not think JR left earlier than JW. Sounds like they may have left at the same time...odd.

yes, I vaguely remember that, though I don't remember the date. Have a link?

Not that it really matters - They all left town shortly after Lauren disappeared. It sounds like as soon as parents/ lawyers got involved, which was almost immediately, they all refused LE polygraphs and cooperation with the investigation stalled.

yes, I vaguely remember that, though I don't remember the date. Have a link?

Not that it really matters - They all left town shortly after Lauren disappeared. It sounds like as soon as parents/ lawyers got involved, which was almost immediately, they all refused LE polygraphs and cooperation with the investigation stalled.
I know it's in one of the articles posted where they start to speak out about their concerns with JW. Again, on my phone but it was the Tuesday following the Friday morning she disappeared. So, while JR was throwing a last playoffs party before everyone goes home for the summer, and had plans to be leaving anyway...JW had classes scheduled or a class and LS was going to ride home with him after his classes were finished. He obviously, didn't do that.

In addition, I don't think CR left right away, if at all over the summer. I think MB had class too, with that paper he was working on.

Well, the PIs have said 2 calls were made, to DR and another male at Smallwood. And according to the lawsuit docs, the POI themselves, in the latest version of their stories, do not say they were looking for Lauren's phone. They say they were looking for someone to help get her home.
Wouldn't you say exactly that if you were being sued for not taking proper care of her?

I know it's in one of the articles posted where they start to speak out about their concerns with JW. Again, on my phone but it was the Tuesday following the Friday morning she disappeared. So, while JR was throwing a last playoffs party before everyone goes home for the summer, and had plans to be leaving anyway...JW had classes scheduled or a class and LS was going to ride home with him after his classes were finished. He obviously, didn't do that.

In addition, I don't think CR left right away, if at all over the summer. I think MB had class too, with that paper he was working on.

Corey Rossman:
Where is he now? Home for the summer, and left Bloomington before finishing his summer class, according to Rossman’s attorney. "

Mike beth:
His attorney says Beth left about a week ago. He is working in New York at an investment firm this summer.

June 30, 2011 http://ww.heraldtimesonline.com/stories/2011/06/30/news.qp-0075723.sto

The same article says that JW returned home as well, but does not have a date. JR's lawyers refused to comment.

Wouldn't you say exactly that if you were being sued for not taking proper care of her?

He said that long before they were sued. The very first story that appeared from friends on PT within days of Lauren disappearing was that JR called DR looking for a ride for Lauren. Then, according to HT, JR told her Lauren made the calls, looking for her phone. Later, the investigators reported that JR and MB made the calls, again, looking for someone to help take her home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abk018