GUILTY IN - Melinda Lindsey, 23, shot to death, Porter County, 16 Jan 2015 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe SL is a textbook narcissist with sociopathic tendencies who murdered Melinda and honestly believed he would get away with it because he is Steven Lindsey. In his own mind he is light years ahead of everyone else, and we mere mortals in the rest of the world are nothing more than stepping stones for his convenience.
I totally agree with this. I don't think it ever crossed his mind that he would not get away with it, simply because he's smart and everyone else is dumb. I don't have to know the guy to believe that, just apply what I already (unfortunately) know about malignant narcissism.

At this point he probably still thinks he can still manipulate his way out of this. I worry about his family. Lawyers are expensive, and I really hope nobody is compromising their financial future on his behalf. Hopefully it's a deal where the lawyer gets paid out of the insurance proceeds if he wins, and nothing if he loses. But ....

I wouldn't be at all surprised if he's not even close to done wrecking lives. It's what they do.

I think Steve Lindsey planned this whole thing out. I feel certain he would have also prepared to be caught (and possibly plea), and in that event he would have wanted to make certain arrangements as to where the daughter went, as SHE would be the one to collect on the million+ (And he might have felt he could access at least some of the money, through her, even after time served). Might have been part of why he kept taking the baby and going (wherever) with her and keeping her away from Melinda's family as much as possible!

Taking a child in order to isolate the mother from her family support system is a classic tactic that abusers use and, according to Melinda's dad, it was used multiple times so it most certainly will be part of the evidence presented at the trial. I don't know who SL's enablers were but I also don't know how they sleep at night knowing their actions fueled his plan.

I think the insurance money will be deposited with the court and it won't go to anyone until after a conviction.

JMO

I think you're giving him too much credit. In my opinion, he doesn't give a tinker's damn about Baby Girl, other than her being an extension of himself. I don't think he sees beyond himself at all. I believe he thinks of himself as smarter than anyone else, and was using Baby Girl to create chaos in Melinda's life as well as her family's to control her. I believe SL is a textbook narcissist with sociopathic tendencies who murdered Melinda and honestly believed he would get away with it because he is Steven Lindsey. In his own mind he is light years ahead of everyone else, and we mere mortals in the rest of the world are nothing more than stepping stones for his convenience.
I think his history with his first marriage is indicative of what type of man he is. He is a proven selfish liar who will say and do anything to get what he wants. If anyone gets hurt, it's simply collateral damage.
Had SL really cared about Baby Girl, would he have killed her mother?

Of course not but it has nothing to do with feelings about the child, it has everything to do with taking total control so that the other parent has no control.

JMO

I think you're giving him too much credit. In my opinion, he doesn't give a tinker's damn about Baby Girl, other than her being an extension of himself. I don't think he sees beyond himself at all. I believe he thinks of himself as smarter than anyone else, and was using Baby Girl to create chaos in Melinda's life as well as her family's to control her. I believe SL is a textbook narcissist with sociopathic tendencies who murdered Melinda and honestly believed he would get away with it because he is Steven Lindsey. In his own mind he is light years ahead of everyone else, and we mere mortals in the rest of the world are nothing more than stepping stones for his convenience.
I think his history with his first marriage is indicative of what type of man he is. He is a proven selfish liar who will say and do anything to get what he wants. If anyone gets hurt, it's simply collateral damage.
Had SL really cared about Baby Girl, would he have killed her mother?

He's not getting any credit for anything, over here. I agree he's a sociopath/narcissist. I do think he was covering all the bases though. Why would he not call Melinda's mom or sister(s)? Even to let them know, that Melinda was shot? Imo he didn't want that child, (yes! An extension of HIMSELF!), anywhere near Melinda's family, and he made sure that did not happen. * Which may be why he hung up on 911, to call the brother fast, so first responders wouldn't have a chance to call Melinda's family first...

Taking a child in order to isolate the mother from her family support system is a classic tactic that abusers use and, according to Melinda's dad, it was used multiple times so it most certainly will be part of the evidence presented at the trial. I don't know who SL's enablers were but I also don't know how they sleep at night knowing their actions fueled his plan.

I think the insurance money will be deposited with the court and it won't go to anyone until after a conviction.

JMO
I don't know anything about insurance, but .... if the covered party is murdered by the person who took out the policy, and that person is also the beneficiary, couldn't the insurance company claim the policy was fraudulent and refuse to pay?

I don't know anything about insurance, but .... if the covered party is murdered by the person who took out the policy, and that person is also the beneficiary, couldn't the insurance company claim the policy was fraudulent and refuse to pay?
I think it depends on whether he was the beneficiary or Baby Girl was with him as the manager of the funds. It is my understanding that the insurance company wouldn't pay in the event of fraud, but would refund the premiums paid into the plan.

I think it depends on whether he was the beneficiary or Baby Girl was with him as the manager of the funds. It is my understanding that the insurance company wouldn't pay in the event of fraud, but would refund the premiums paid into the plan.
Well he didn't have the policy long, so that wouldn't be much. I just can't imagine that it is possible to take out a life insurance policy on another person, kill that person, and collect the insurance - or for your heirs to do so. I certainly hope not!

Well he didn't have the policy long, so that wouldn't be much. I just can't imagine that it is possible to take out a life insurance policy on another person, kill that person, and collect the insurance - or for your heirs to do so. I certainly hope not!
I agree. I am curious about the policy. I know term plans are a lot less expensive than whole life, I wonder what kind it was. Also I don't think with a term plan the amount of the face value has to be justified. If you want a 1,000,000 policy for x number of years you can get it... as long as you can pay the premiums.
I would bet a lot that he planned this before he ever took that policy out. Does anyone know if it was a family plan that covered him as well? Ultimately I don't suppose it matters, but if he only insured Melinda and Baby Girl, that would say something, kwim?

I think it depends on the terms of the policy. I just know that in other cases such as Laci Peterson, benefits were paid to the estate.

A judge ruled Friday that proceeds from a $250,000 life insurance policy Scott Peterson took out on his wife, Laci, will go to her mother instead.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/nation/2005-10-22-peterson-money_x.htm

A homicidal beneficiary cannot collect on a life insurance policy. Certain specifics will be pertinent to how or if benefits are paid on this policy. If SL was the owner of the policy, the insurance carrier may try to claim the contract was between him and them (and not between the insurance company and Melinda), claim fraud and attempt to void the policy.

If the policy proceeds are paid, they are typically paid to the person who was specified as the contingent beneficiary on the life insurance application, which is a part of the policy. If a contingent beneficiary was not named, policy proceeds are generally payable to the insured's estate. Children of the insured are typically first in line. It follows estate law of the state in which the insured lived. In cases where the child is a minor, many jurisdictions will require the legal guardian of the child purchase a guardianship bond to protect the child's financial assets. The legal guardian is then required to file financial accounting reports with the court to show that money that is spent is for the financial benefit of the child.

However, numerous scenarios can and do happen when a life insurance policy is tangled up in a homicide.

I agree. I am curious about the policy. I know term plans are a lot less expensive than whole life, I wonder what kind it was. Also I don't think with a term plan the amount of the face value has to be justified. If you want a 1,000,000 policy for x number of years you can get it... as long as you can pay the premiums.
I would bet a lot that he planned this before he ever took that policy out. Does anyone know if it was a family plan that covered him as well? Ultimately I don't suppose it matters, but if he only insured Melinda and Baby Girl, that would say something, kwim?
I would be curious to know how soon after he took out the policy the stalker appeared in their lives. Talk about premeditated.... I would bet a lot that he took out the policy with every intention of collecting on it, and then deliberately set about creating the illusion that Melinda was being stalked. He filed several police reports and made sure Melinda backed him up. I think those police reports were the whole point. He thought they would get the cops looking in another direction - because you know cops are just as easily manipulated as all the rest of us dummies.

I would be curious to know how soon after he took out the policy the stalker appeared in their lives. Talk about premeditated.... I would bet a lot that he took out the policy with every intention of collecting on it, and then deliberately set about creating the illusion that Melinda was being stalked. He filed several police reports and made sure Melinda backed him up. I think those police reports were the whole point. He thought they would get the cops looking in another direction - because you know cops are just as easily manipulated as all the rest of us dummies.
Yes, I agree. I think Set Her Soul Free said the policy was taken out a year ago. Personally, I think that SL was in a significant financial crisis even then. Whether the policy gave him the idea or if he took it out with the intent to collect on it, I doubt we will ever know for certain. Unless he confesses. But if we look at his behavior after Melinda's death, how he had her cremated against her family's wishes etc it shows a complete lack of compassion and empathy. I wonder if he thought there might be some other evidence that cremation would destroy?

What I can't get out my head lately is the cruise. He went on that cruise with her and the whole time he knew he was going to kill her. That's just cold blooded and evil. I hope she was able to enjoy it. I'd like to think she didn't know what hit her when it happened. I suppose we won't know that either. It would depend on where in the bedroom she was found. Was she in bed or just in the room?

Yes, I agree. I think Set Her Soul Free said the policy was taken out a year ago. Personally, I think that SL was in a significant financial crisis even then. Whether the policy gave him the idea or if he took it out with the intent to collect on it, I doubt we will ever know for certain. Unless he confesses. But if we look at his behavior after Melinda's death, how he had her cremated against her family's wishes etc it shows a complete lack of compassion and empathy. I wonder if he thought there might be some other evidence that cremation would destroy?

What I can't get out my head lately is the cruise. He went on that cruise with her and the whole time he knew he was going to kill her. That's just cold blooded and evil. I hope she was able to enjoy it. I'd like to think she didn't know what hit her when it happened. I suppose we won't know that either. It would depend on where in the bedroom she was found. Was she in bed or just in the room?
The initial reports said she was found in her bed, and I'm pretty sure SetHerSoulFree said that is what the family and friends were told. I hope and believe so. Much easier to shoot a sleeping person in the head than to do it when they are on their feet and fighting for their lives. I think a guy like Steven would take the easy route.

As for the cruise, I hope she was able to enjoy it too.

The initial reports said she was found in her bed, and I'm pretty sure SetHerSoulFree said that is what the family and friends were told. I hope and believe so. Much easier to shoot a sleeping person in the head than to do it when they are on their feet and fighting for their lives. I think a guy like Steven would take the easy route.

As for the cruise, I hope she was able to enjoy it too.
I had to look it up. If she was found in bed and was reputed to be an early riser then I think he must have shot her a long time before his 911 call. I think he shot her and took his time setting the stage.... or maybe he shot her then put her back in bed. I would think that the medical examiner would be able to tell approximately what time she was shot. Maybe by how much blood she lost, or by knowing how long a person takes to die from the type of injury. All I've been able to find is that she was shot in the head. Has anything been said as to whether it was from behind or from what range?

She was shot in the back of the head off to the side, at a decently close range (in my opinion from seeing the blood splatter in the house) yes she was indeed in bed.. && from what I was told, it was believed to be that she was asleep.. I do believe she was shot before he made the call but thats MPO.. Which breaks my heart bc she was alive for 2 hours AFTERWARD the police got there!! So it makes me wonder how long was she truly laying there blood pouring from her mouth as she gasped for air.. It rips me apart daily, some of the questions that will never have answers.

#JusticeForMelinda

You know that would explain a lot, like the entire debacle of him being tied. It makes sense that he was waiting for her to die before he called 911. If he went to the gas station so he could claim he "found" her, I imagine he did panic when he came home and she wasn't dead. So then he staged the assault... but why not stage a forced entry?
I don't envision him having left the house at all, after he shot her. Why wouldn't he just say he ran out to gas up his vehicle, ( or whatever excuse), and found her like that when he returned? What difference would it have made if she was not dead? She was as close as you can get. It would have been more believable than the story he's telling. He would have to risk someone seeing him leave, or return...and what about the baby? I think he just shot her and waited as long as could, and moved into his home invasion as planned, (albeit not very well). Plus the zip ties came from his work place, (so it's been said), and it does seem like he planned to use the choke hold/zip tied story all along...

It's heartbreaking to think that Melinda may have suffered for some time before she passed away. Does anyone know if forensics can determine how long? If so, that could certainly strengthen the prosecutions' case.

Back to the Life Insurance policy...was it ever established who took it out...? If Melinda did I'm sure she would name her child and possibly Steve on it and since he might be convicted of her murder wouldn't it go to her child?I guess it might also depend on if the premiums were also kept up to date ??If Steve took it out I would think that it would go to their child in a trust or something?

He had numerous reasons to want Melinda dead, in my opinion. Her death would avoid a nasty custody battle, an ugly divorce and potential spousal support, AND there was a huge life insurance payout.

IMO, I am starting to think the original story he intended to tell police may have changed because panic set in when Melinda did not die instantly. Perhaps he was afraid she might survive and be able to tell police that he had been at the home all night long? A person who could shoot someone in the back of the head is an incredible monster, as well as an incredible coward. Perhaps the coward part kicked in and he couldn't go back and fire another shot because he couldn't bear to look at what he'd done? Or perhaps he was afraid to fire another shot out of fear that might alert neighbors and police could be called earlier than intended?

If he changed his story and had to execute another plan, that would explain a lot to me. An original plan of him coming to the house and discovering the crime scene would explain why he stated to police that he'd moved out of the house six weeks prior. That would give him a reason to be somewhere else when the crime was committed. The stalker does at least two things for him. It provides him with a reason to go to the house around 6 a.m. and check in on Melinda and the baby and it also provides someone else with a motive to kill Melinda.

It would also explain the very sloppy mistakes that were made. The lack of a forced entry. The absence of footprints outside the house. The absence of evidence that he was dragged across the floor into the baby's room. It would explain why he had his cell phone in a convenient place that could be reached, with hands bound, and three separate calls dialed. And then we have the dogs, and the baby, who were apparently quiet during all this mayhem?

I think he changed his story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member