GUILTY IN - Melinda Lindsey, 23, shot to death, Porter County, 16 Jan 2015 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that they had secured the house including the room that SL and the baby were in. If the police didn't search the house then they would have had no way of knowing whether there was a mad gunman in the house therefore endangering the lives of the first res-ponders.

I just can't see the police yelling threw the door, everything okay in there.

How would someone that has there hands bound behind their back keep a baby content for a couple hours. Police stated the little one was calm,

I think this is going to be a trial filled with twists and turns to finally get to the truth

Police knew SL had made the call to 911. According to this news story, cops suspected SL from the very beginning.

When officers first entered the baby’s room, Lindsey asked “how his wife is” and indicated that “he wanted to go see her.” After that, though, “at no time did he request a further status on Melinda Lindsey,” “was never heard inquiring about the condition” of his wife “or her location once he was allowed to leave the residence.”

http://chestertontribune.com/PoliceFireEmergency/jackson_township_man_charged_wit1.htm

Cops usually do focus on the injured until an ambulance arrives so it sounds like the ambulance did not arrive simultaneously with the first responding police. Melinda was still alive so it is strange that SL didn't ask them to get him out so he could see her and my guess is that is the reason they left him in there until ML was safely out of there. They may have suspected he had a weapon and they knew the baby was with him.

JMO
There is something very strange about the whole sequence of events. Bedroom doors usually lock from the inside. So why would the police have to get him out? How could the stalker lock him in? He claims he woke up in the bedroom when he heard the shot, and called 911 from his conveniently located cel phone. If he could call 911 why couldn't he leave the room? His feel were not bound. And then when the cops got there they found him on his knees.... well, I think we can all agree the whole thing stinks - but I do think some of the new articles have mangled the facts as well.

There is something very strange about the whole sequence of events. Bedroom doors usually lock from the inside. So why would the police have to get him out? How could the stalker lock him in? He claims he woke up in the bedroom when he heard the shot, and called 911 from his conveniently located cel phone. If he could call 911 why couldn't he leave the room? His feel were not bound. And then when the cops got there they found him on his knees.... well, I think we can all agree the whole thing stinks - but I do think some of the new articles have mangled the facts as well.
My guess is he wanted to appear helpless so he couldn't open the door with his hands tied behind his back.

My guess is he wanted to appear helpless so he couldn't open the door with his hands tied behind his back.
But he claimed he was able to get his hands to the side to dial 911. If he could do that he could certainly grasp the knob and turn it. If it was locked from the inside it would have popped open. And WHY would it have been locked from the inside? Did Steven lock it after he woke up and called 911 - and why?

On edit - I'm willing to bet Steven never takes the stand, so we never will know what his story is. His lawyer would have to be nuts to let him start talking - and he doesn't have to, so ... if this case ever actually comes to trial we will hear from cops and lawyers, and possibly people who knew Steven and Melinda in order to establish motive. But we won't hear from Steven. And that's IF it goes to trial. I will NOT be surprised if there is a plea deal. This story stinks to high heaven.

But he claimed he was able to get his hands to the side to dial 911. If he could do that he could certainly grasp the knob and turn it. If it was locked from the inside it would have popped open. And WHY would it have been locked from the inside? Did Steven lock it after he woke up and called 911 - and why?

On edit - I'm willing to bet Steven never takes the stand, so we never will know what his story is. His lawyer would have to be nuts to let him start talking - and he doesn't have to, so ... if this case ever actually comes to trial we will hear from cops and lawyers, and possibly people who knew Steven and Melinda in order to establish motive. But we won't hear from Steven. And that's IF it goes to trial. I will NOT be surprised if there is a plea deal. This story stinks to high heaven.
My hope is he is arrogant enough to want to defend himself.

None of the news articles have explained what was obstructing access to the room and I have to think that is a detail police have intentionally withheld because it may indicate a second party was involved in the murder.

JMO

None of the news articles have explained what was obstructing access to the room and I have to think that is a detail police have intentionally withheld because it may indicate a second party was involved in the murder.

JMO
And that's IF it was correctly reported. Wasn't it just in one article? Or did others say police forced their way in?

And that's IF it was correctly reported. Wasn't it just in one article? Or did others say police forced their way in?
I don't think I've seen one article that said that - although I'm not saying it doesn't exist.

Here's the article that mentions police forcing entry:

http://www.commercial-news.com/news...71c-b702-11e4-be1b-bf515e255e47.html?mode=jqm

I think it is the only one.

Thanks for finding that article. A couple of points are interesting:
After Melinda Lindsey was taken away in ambulance, officers forced entry into the baby's bedroom and found Steven Lindsey bent over at the waist with his hands zip-tied behind his back...
....Steven Lindsey told police he was able to get his hands to his side and call 911,

Yet police haven't publicly released why they needed to force entry or how tightly the zip ties to his hands really were.

JMO

Thanks for finding that article. A couple of points are interesting:
After Melinda Lindsey was taken away in ambulance, officers forced entry into the baby's bedroom and found Steven Lindsey bent over at the waist with his hands zip-tied behind his back...
....Steven Lindsey told police he was able to get his hands to his side and call 911,

Yet police haven't publicly released why they needed to force entry or how tightly the zip ties to his hands really were.

JMO

http://chestertontribune.com/PoliceFireEmergency/jackson_township_man_charged_wit1.htm

This article states:
"* Lindsey’s hands--but not his feet or his legs--were secured with a zip tie. There was “an adequate amount of space between (Lindsey’s) hands,” approximately two to three inches."

Didn't he state in his phone call to the police that he didn't know if the intruder was still in the house? This makes the sequences of events that were reported (if correct) even stranger.

This article states:
"* Lindsey’s hands--but not his feet or his legs--were secured with a zip tie. There was “an adequate amount of space between (Lindsey’s) hands,” approximately two to three inches."

I'm not sure what "adequate" really means. Was it adequate enough space to allow the dialing of the phone or was it adequate enough to enable him to apply the zip tie to himself or does it mean whoever applied it made sure it was loose?

How he was secured inside the bedroom is still my biggest question. How was he able to do it by himself? Until I get an answer, I'm going to keep conspiracy/hired hit on the table. It could make the difference as to whether it is a death penalty case.

JMO

That makes zero sense.

Every agency I have ever worked for....if we receive a 911 call like this, police get dispatched first and medical is sent that way, but usually will stage about a block or two away if we know there will be a patient onscene when we get there.

The entire area is always cleared first, then the ambulance is radioed and told that the scene has been checked and they are clear to enter.

If it came in as a home invasion call, with no mention of medical being needed at the beginning, then normally officers would enter, clear the scene completely, then return back to those needing an ambulance and call for one at that time, not before the scene was cleared. Otherwise you run the risk of having unarmed medical workers enter a scene, potentially leading to more victims if you haven't ensured that the gunman is no longer onscene.

I have never EVER heard of police entering a scene and not completely clearing the house before having an ambulance come on scene.

I think this is one of those that I'm going to chalk up to bad reporting/writing on the part of the news agency.

That makes zero sense.

Every agency I have ever worked for....if we receive a 911 call like this, police get dispatched first and medical is sent that way, but usually will stage about a block or two away if we know there will be a patient onscene when we get there.

The entire area is always cleared first, then the ambulance is radioed and told that the scene has been checked and they are clear to enter.

If it came in as a home invasion call, with no mention of medical being needed at the beginning, then normally officers would enter, clear the scene completely, then return back to those needing an ambulance and call for one at that time, not before the scene was cleared. Otherwise you run the risk of having unarmed medical workers enter a scene, potentially leading to more victims if you haven't ensured that the gunman is no longer onscene.

I have never EVER heard of police entering a scene and not completely clearing the house before having an ambulance come on scene.

I think this is one of those that I'm going to chalk up to bad reporting/writing on the part of the news agency.

I'm not sure what you believe the media has misreported. Several have consistently reported that SL made a call to 911, a call to his brother, another call to 911. They haven't reported exactly what was said on any of those calls. iirc, none have reported as to the precise time the ambulance arrived.

JMO

I'm not sure what you believe the media has misreported. Several have consistently reported that SL made a call to 911, a call to his brother, another call to 911. They haven't reported exactly what was said on any of those calls. iirc, none have reported as to the precise time the ambulance arrived.

JMO
The media reported that the cops entered the room where Steven and the baby were AFTER Melinda was taken away by ambulance. That is what makes zero sense. It must be bad reporting, for all the reasons Sayuri stated.

The media reported that the cops entered the room where Steven and the baby were AFTER Melinda was taken away by ambulance. That is what makes zero sense. It must be bad reporting, for all the reasons Sayuri stated.

The media has also reported the cops suspected SL from the beginning. Melinda was still alive so waiting until she was safely removed from the home to prevent giving him access to her makes perfect sense from a safety standpoint.

JMO

I'm not sure what "adequate" really means. Was it adequate enough space to allow the dialing of the phone or was it adequate enough to enable him to apply the zip tie to himself or does it mean whoever applied it made sure it was loose?

How he was secured inside the bedroom is still my biggest question. How was he able to do it by himself? Until I get an answer, I'm going to keep conspiracy/hired hit on the table. It could make the difference as to whether it is a death penalty case.

JMO

I think "adequate" refers to them being loose enough to get his hands out of the zip tie. The door probably opened into the baby's bedroom so the "intruder/s" couldn't have barricaded the door. SL would have easily been able to get the door unlocked unless they had a lock on the outside and I just can't imagine that being the case.

I think "adequate" refers to them being loose enough to get his hands out of the zip tie. The door probably opened into the baby's bedroom so the "intruder/s" couldn't have barricaded the door. SL would have easily been able to get the door unlocked unless they had a lock on the outside and I just can't imagine that being the case.

Something prevented SL from leaving the room and required cops to make "forced entry" and they only did so after Melinda left in the ambulance. I don't believe the report is inaccurate.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member