GUILTY IN - Melinda Lindsey, 23, shot to death, Porter County, 16 Jan 2015 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If he had a bump on his head, he probably got it when he was smacking his head on the table in the police station, before they interviewed him.

I bet SL thinks he is very intelligent, and "has this". His attorney probably felt SL could appeal for sympathy, to overshoot the absurd story he told. Not so, SL will dig his own hole.
My mother used to say about the smart aleck know it all types "Give them enough rope and they hang themselves. ".

Where's the info about the adoption sites? I missed it and would like to read it for myself. Thanks!

Why on earth would his defense attorney let this guy get on the stand? Don't get me wrong, I'm GLAD that he is on the stand, because now the prosecution gets their chance with him, but OMG.

SL probably INSISTED on taking the stand. The attorney can only "recommend" he not do it. This just gets worse and worse. (Better & better?) ;)

I don't blame her either. She believed what she saw with her own eyes. They went on a cruise. She had no reason to think it wasn't paid for. He showed her paperwork that said he passed the GSR test. She didn't know he refused to have his face tested. He said he was a supervisor. At one point he was. He just neglected to mention that he had been fired for drinking. He's her nephew and she loves him, and she's not the first one to fall for the lies of a loved one. My heart goes out to her.

I don't believe she ever even talked to him....but I do think she was getting her info from one of his parents. She didn't seem at all close to him--she had never even met Melinda or the baby.

SL probably INSISTED on taking the stand. The attorney can only "recommend" he not do it. This just gets worse and worse. (Better & better?) ;)
Exactly. This guy is used to having people around him who believe his lies. Because of that he probably believes he's smarter than everybody else and can scam the jury easily.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/subur...dsey-trial-porter-st-1118-20151117-story.html

In this article he testifies that the reason why he wasn't working was "to help wean his wife off an addiction to prescription medications.

And that $150,000 - $170,000 a year was "easy to come by".

This guy is unbelievable. Does he think everybody is stupid? If that kind of money is "easy to come by" why are they living like they are living? In a modular rental home, with $13.00 in the bank account? And not paying credit cards and behind on child support?

And how far is he really behind on that child support? One or two months only? Because that's what his child support would be if he really made that much money.

Most people who make $150,000-$170,000 per year typically have a much better lifestyle than what he was providing for poor Melinda. And they aren't sending their wives to their mothers to ask for money to pay the bills.

I know people who make that kind of money. Their wives have expensive hobbies and wear high end designer clothes & shoes and carry designer hand bags.

Now he's claiming Melinda was a drug addict. And he was home "helping her out". What a guy.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/subur...dsey-trial-porter-st-1118-20151117-story.html

In this article he testifies that the reason why he wasn't working was "to help wean his wife off an addiction to prescription medications.

And that $150,000 - $170,000 a year was "easy to come by".

This guy is unbelievable. Does he think everybody is stupid? If that kind of money is "easy to come by" why are they living like they are living? In a modular rental home, with $13.00 in the bank account? And not paying credit cards and behind on child support?

And how far is he really behind on that child support? One or two months only? Because that's what his child support would be if he really made that much money.

Most people who make $150,000-$170,000 per year typically have a much better lifestyle than what he was providing for poor Melinda. And they aren't sending their wives to their mothers to ask for money to pay the bills.

I know people who make that kind of money. Their wives have expensive hobbies and wear high end designer clothes & shoes and carry designer hand bags.

Now he's claiming Melinda was a drug addict. And he was home "helping her out". What a guy.

If I recall correctly, he told investigators that he and Melinda had argued over money. This was just after the murder, and he also told them that he had moved out of the house in recent weeks.

IMO, nothing he says adds up. At all. He couldn't pay his rent, he couldn't pay the premium on Melinda's life insurance policy, he was behind on court-ordered child support, he opened a new credit card and charged a cruise and never paid that bill, has $13 in his account in January, and this is after he cashed out a retirement account in October? He obviously expects the jury to believe that he is a man of independent means and that he can afford to take an employment break?

He further goes on to say a job that pays $150,000 to $170,000 a year is easy to find?

In what world does this man live? Scary.

SL reported on stand taking several narcotic pills along with alcohol before falling asleep on the couch. Perhaps he is in fact the one with substance problem.
Just saying

Did he tell them that they argued over money or was it in text messages over New Years?

SL reported on stand taking several narcotic pills along with alcohol before falling asleep on the couch. Perhaps he is in fact the one with substance problem.
Just saying

And didn't the brother say that SL was starting (another) job on the following Monday after the murder? Why is he taking narcotics? Didn't he learn anything from his last firing? I'm sure companies who hire linemen and pay $150,000-$170,000 per year do drug test. Right????

Did he tell them that they argued over money or was it in text messages over New Years?

Here is a link from an article that appeared in the Chicago Tribune just after his arrest.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/subur...tb-lindsey-arrest-st-0213-20150212-story.html

The article cites "according to court documents":

1. SL had moved out of the house five or six weeks before Melinda was murdered.
2. Melinda had threatened to leave SL because he wasn't working.
3. SL stated that he and Melinda had fought about money.

This is totally different than the story he told on the stand today.

Here is a link from an article that appeared in the Chicago Tribune just after his arrest.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/subur...tb-lindsey-arrest-st-0213-20150212-story.html

The article cites "according to court documents":

1. SL had moved out of the house five or six weeks before Melinda was murdered.
2. Melinda had threatened to leave SL because he wasn't working.
3. SL stated that he and Melinda had fought about money.

This is totally different than the story he told on the stand today.

OMG. You're right. They are gonna cook his goose tomorrow. It would almost be worth jumping on a plane to go out there and watch.

Just saying
I was thinking the same thing. But unless he was tested for drugs that morning there's no way of knowing if he was lying about that too. With this guy's track record we have to assume that if his mouth is moving he's lying.

OMG. You're right. They are gonna cook his goose tomorrow. It would almost be worth jumping on a plane to go out there and watch.
I have vacation time coming and family in Chicago. If I had a little more notice I might actually do it.

And didn't the brother say that SL was starting (another) job on the following Monday after the murder? Why is he taking narcotics? Didn't he learn anything from his last firing? I'm sure companies who hire linemen and pay $150,000-$170,000 per year do drug test. Right????
Yes, but none of the drugs he claimed he ingested are illegal drugs. That's what they look for.

SL took the stand! Yipee! The prosecution gets a crack at him. <rubbing hands mischievously>
They must be giggling with glee at the chance to cross examine this guy!

<<Steven Lindsey rejected claims that he and 23-year-old Melinda had financial problems, &#8230; he chose not to work at the time of the murder.>>
&#8220;Yep, I just didn&#8217;t want to work &#8211; I was about to go back to court for $6k of child support in arrears, I couldn&#8217;t pay the premium on my wife&#8217;s life insurance & had no insurance of my own, and I was in hock to my eyeballs with credit cards & student debt, but I just didn&#8217;t feel like working. Y&#8217;know what I mean?&#8221; Hahahahahahahaha

<< Shawn Lindsey further testified Tuesday that he &#8230; rejected the impression that Steven Lindsey was in a rush to cremate Melinda Lindsey's body, saying the funeral home did not have the facilities to preserve the body.>>
&#8220;Yeah, that funeral home, they weren&#8217;t really in a position to preserve a human body. I mean, it&#8217;s not like that&#8217;s what a funeral home actually does. Y&#8217; know what I mean?&#8221; hahahahahahahaha

The brother receives an &#8220;incoherent&#8221; call from his brother and doesn&#8217;t call 911 because he figures Steve would be able to if he wanted to.
Um, and how would he do that, Shawn ol' buddy? Oh, yeah, right: incoherently. From a cell phone with no address, not a land line. Got it.

&#8220;[Steve Lindsey said] &#8230; he had taken off for the holidays and to help wean his wife off an alleged addiction to prescription medications.&#8221;
Um, any proof of that allegation there, Steve-o? Prescription records from the pharmacy where she got too many drugs? Quiet / tearful confessions to trusted girlfriends? Texts or emails to her parents? Diary pages? Notes on a computer? Failed lab test for a job application? Notes from a doctor where she asked for help? No? Oh, ok. Got it.

&#8220;He also had money &#8230; from cashing out a pension fund from a recent job with Commonwealth Edison/Exelon in Illinois, he said.&#8221;
Um, any proof of that either, Steve? Cuz it sez here you were down to 13 bucks in your checking account there, dude.

Tomorrow&#8217;s gonna be FUN!

Yes, but none of the drugs he claimed he ingested are illegal drugs. That's what they look for.

They may not be illegal, but does he have a script for them? That is the question when taking drug test. Were they prescribed for him or off the street.

Excellent points. I'm curious about why they were having financial problems. If he was making $150-170k a year, his net take home pay had to be $7-8k a month or more, which should have easily covered his obligations and then some. But he was behind on his rent and child support. He also charged the cruise on a new credit card and hadn't made a payment and Melinda also often asked her parents for money. If they only had $13 in their account, the money was going somewhere.

In addition, I find it interesting that he claimed he was taking time off to help Melinda kick a prescription drug habit when he admitted to mixing prescription drugs and alcohol that night.

I hope the prosecution has a field day with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FlyingHorses4