GUILTY IN - Melinda Lindsey, 23, shot to death, Porter County, 16 Jan 2015 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
To SHSF, Melinda's family and friends and everyone on this forum, I am so very sorry by the outcome of this trial. I really thought tonight would be a night of celebration and healing, but sadly, I was wrong. I cannot understand how some of the jury came to the conclusions they did. It is truly mindboggling and the outcome is heartbreaking.

Although I know it will be a long and painful process, I am praying for a retrial so Melinda will finally get the justice she deserves. I am a big believer that the truth eventually prevails.

If Melinda was my sister, I would insist on a retrial and I would rally the support of every friend I have ever had to contact the prosecutor and demand the case be retried. Especially since the majority did vote guilty. But that is how I am wired and it is impossible to know how Melinda's loved ones feel about this. They have been through SO much and it is all so, so wrong.

I pray the prosecutor gives Melinda's family and loved ones wishes every consideration when that decision is being made.

To SHSF, Melinda's family and friends and everyone on this forum, I am so very sorry by the outcome of this trial. I really thought tonight would be a night of celebration and healing, but sadly, I was wrong. I cannot understand how some of the jury came to the conclusions they did. It is truly mindboggling and the outcome is heartbreaking.

Although I know it will be a long and painful process, I am praying for a retrial so Melinda will finally get the justice she deserves. I am a big believer that the truth eventually prevails.

Amen.

I'm going to try to get some sleep. I'll have to take a sleeping pill, because I know this will play over and over again in my mind.

How well will the jury sleep?

I still can't believe the jury just hung it up after deliberating for just ONE frickin' day. I also wonder if the jury will sleep well tonight knowing how miserably they collectively failed. Unbelievable.

I am so shocked, I thought for sure that SL narcissism had presented it self over and over, I thought he hung himself with the plausible comment,

I can't understand the jurors, why didn't they go back to the table today and come to a unanimous verdict, I sure hope that they all have a clear conscience, maybe they wanted it wrapped up because of the upcoming holidays. What part of the evidence did they not see or understand,

I hope that Melinda's family is considering filing a wrongfull death suit against SL, if for nothing else other than to prevent SL from having a prosperous life.

I hope there will be a retrial, will there be a release of the court transcripts, something is so very wrong with this case

Those poor babies, he'll be able to be alone with them

2 jurors were undecided. Many a judge has sent a jury back to continue deliberating if they can't come up with a unanimous decision, (in this case however, it'd be tough to bring the 7 not guilty, and 2 leaning towards not guilty around to a guilty verdict.

But I still wonder what went wrong. From where I, and most of us, saw it, it was a clear guilty. The evidence (even if circumstantial) was strong, and there was PLENTY of it. Do they not consider the monster they are putting back on the streets. Will he get his baby girl back (the one he sent outside, in the winter, with his mother...they probably didn't hear that one, as it'd be heresay). But they knew his wife was scared of him. They knew he pushed her to get the life insurance (thankfully the insurance company had the tape). They heard his "plausible" comment. They knew he lied on the stand about money. They knew he put down 2 healthy dogs. They knew he googled "adoption". They must have understood that it was "plausible" that he could zip tie his own hands. They knew he didn't run to save his wife when he had the chance. They knew he didn't take any precautions in light of the "stalkings". They knew he acted God-damned awful after her death by keeping family and friends out of the picture entirely, had her cremated and buried with no ceremony. These are not the actions of an innocent man in mourning.

Even with a sleeping pill I barely slept last night, aghast at last night's verdict.

It seems the NWI times doesn't have comments under their articles. Is there any place that local people (not dispersed strangers like us) have a place to state their opinions? This monster is being released into their world. He is angry, broke, does drugs. I can't see him being a benefit to their society.

This is just plain wrong. As another poster stated, I hope the family will launch a civil suit against him. Maybe a ******** page for legal expenses could be set up.

The best thing is if he did not want to take care of his baby girl, and she be kept away from him. But in his narcissism he may want her back just to drive other people crazy. Same with his son, he may demand his visitation back. His ex must be living in fear today knowing what he is capable of.

There will be a retrial.. Looking at march ish I think is what I read.

I personally think it was Rogers if you can't be sure comment..

#JusticeForMelinda

There will be a retrial..

#JusticeForMelinda

That is very good news! Thank you for sharing. I'm so sorry that you all have to go through this process again, but it is the only thing that can be done to try to see justice served. Stay strong!

There will be a retrial.. Looking at march ish I think is what I read.

I personally think it was Rogers if you can't be sure comment..

#JusticeForMelinda

If it was that defense lawyers comment, then he should be held to task for stating something that is NOT correct. But I agree with you, it's the ONLY thing that would seem to make sense...though not much sense at all.

I'm glad for a retrial. I am very sad that the family has to go through a long wait, and then the hell of another trial. But it is much better than just letting it be.

I sure hope he doesn't get out on bail. If he does please be very careful. I wouldn't put it past him to harass those who stood up bravely against him.

Going back to the defense lawyer, Rogers, If what he instructed to the jury was false (in legal terms), should he not be up before the law society for misinstructing the jury. I know that most here won't know that answer, but it is festering in the back of my mind.

And if he did give incorrect instructions to the jury, would it not be up to both the judge, and the prosecutor, to not only give their own instructions, but to CLEARLY REFUTE the false instructions they were given by Rogers. Without the transcripts I do not know how this played out, but there is no way that the jury should have been left with that instruction left open.

2 jurors were undecided. Many a judge has sent a jury back to continue deliberating if they can't come up with a unanimous decision, (in this case however, it'd be tough to bring the 7 not guilty, and 2 leaning towards not guilty around to a guilty verdict.

But I still wonder what went wrong. From where I, and most of us, saw it, it was a clear guilty. The evidence (even if circumstantial) was strong, and there was PLENTY of it. Do they not consider the monster they are putting back on the streets. Will he get his baby girl back (the one he sent outside, in the winter, with his mother...they probably didn't hear that one, as it'd be heresay). But they knew his wife was scared of him. They knew he pushed her to get the life insurance (thankfully the insurance company had the tape). They heard his "plausible" comment. They knew he lied on the stand about money. They knew he put down 2 healthy dogs. They knew he googled "adoption". They must have understood that it was "plausible" that he could zip tie his own hands. They knew he didn't run to save his wife when he had the chance. They knew he didn't take any precautions in light of the "stalkings". They knew he acted God-damned awful after her death by keeping family and friends out of the picture entirely, had her cremated and buried with no ceremony. These are not the actions of an innocent man in mourning.

Even with a sleeping pill I barely slept last night, aghast at last night's verdict.

It seems the NWI times doesn't have comments under their articles. Is there any place that local people (not dispersed strangers like us) have a place to state their opinions? This monster is being released into their world. He is angry, broke, does drugs. I can't see him being a benefit to their society.

This is just plain wrong. As another poster stated, I hope the family will launch a civil suit against him. Maybe a ******** page for legal expenses could be set up.

The best thing is if he did not want to take care of his baby girl, and she be kept away from him. But in his narcissism he may want her back just to drive other people crazy. Same with his son, he may demand his visitation back. His ex must be living in fear today knowing what he is capable of.

I took an Ambien myself last night. Didn't help much. This hung jury thing is so disturbing. How could those who felt he was not guilty reconcile the fact he refused a face swab for gunshot residue? They would have had to discount so much in the prosecutions case and I'm not sure how they could do that. I can't help but feel the defense attorney's closing "instructions" were at least partially to blame, if not entirely to blame.

I don't know SL. I don't know anyone involved. So I have no knowledge of this man other than what I've read, and I suspect that is the same for many who are here. We've followed the case, read what was reported in the trial and it perplexes me as to how could our thoughts be so different than five people on the jury? Three who voted not guilty and two who were undecided but leaning toward not guilty?

I still cannot get over the jury throwing in the towel after just 10 hours of deliberating. But the majority did vote guilty. I think that is a very good sign for a retrial. The prosecution will have to fine tune their delivery of the evidence to a new jury obviously and drive home the critical points more clearly. The defense will have to work with what they have to work with - which isn't much, IMO.

I think it was Rogers comment, too. IMO, it is the only thing that explains what happened.

To say I am STUNNED would be an understatement.

I don't understand this either. And why they would hang after only trying to come to a verdict after deliberating for less than one day is just beyond my comprehension.

How incredibly heartbreaking. I'm just sick.

I can't imagine they won't retry him. But with this jury "split" he may get out during wait. Ugh.

However; there may be something good that can come of this. (I am an optimist by nature) *IF* they do have a retrial (I believe they will) it's my opinion that the prosecution will have the advantage.

During this first trail, the prosecution had to turn over all of the facts and evidence it had against SL to the defense. (show their cards, if you will) But the defense does not have to do the same. The defense puts on their *theory* of what happened at the time of trial. But nobody knows ahead of time.

NOW during a retrial, this is the story they are stuck with. They can't go back and try & come with a better story. This is the one they told. So THIS IS THE STORY. (Their *truth*) Now, the prosecution (In my opinion) has an advantage because they KNOW what the defense is going to be. And they KNOW the story. They will also have testimony from SL from this trial. And they can use that against him.

The other advantage for the prosecution. Is his family made of money? Can they afford this Rogers guy for another trial? Or will they have to get somebody else who is less expensive? Will Rogers even TAKE this second run? He may not, knowing that his chances of winning are less.

Don't give up!! Many, many triumphs have been achieved during the second trial. It's not over until it's over. A "mistrial" is WAY, way better than a "not-guilty".

The NW Indiana Times reported Rogers statement to the jury as:

"Ifyou can't go back in that room and say exactly how this happened, that's reasonable doubt,"

I think the use of the word "exactly" may have caused the problem. Only the killer and the victim know "exactly" how this happened. This is true in ANY murder case because the guilty party rarely tells the truth and the victim cannot speak.

IMO, after that comment, the jury should have had a very lengthy explanation of the differences between reasonable doubt vs unreasonable doubt. Not sure if that happened or if they understood that they ARE allowed unreasonable doubt. It is not the jury's responsibility to say EXACTLY how this happened. It is the jury's responsibility to take into account the entirety of the evidence before making their decision.

Agree 100% that a hung jury is not the end and it is a way better scenario than a not guilty verdict.

The NW Indiana Times reported Rogers statement to the jury as:

"Ifyou can't go back in that room and say exactly how this happened, that's reasonable doubt,"

I think the use of the word "exactly" may have caused the problem. Only the killer and the victim know "exactly" how this happened. This is true in ANY murder case because the guilty party rarely tells the truth and the victim cannot speak.

IMO, after that comment, the jury should have had a very lengthy explanation of the differences between reasonable doubt vs unreasonable doubt. Not sure if that happened or if they understood that they ARE allowed unreasonable doubt. It is not the jury's responsibility to say EXACTLY how this happened. It is the jury's responsibility to take into account the entirety of the evidence before making their decision.

That's right. And if the jury wasn't bright enough to know that in closing arguements the attorneys can say pretty much anything. Just because he *said it* doesn't make it fact.

The jury *instructions* would have been completely separate from that. But if Rogers said this with authority and pounded it into their heads, and there wasn't anyone on the jury to remind everyone that he's just a desperate attorney saying whatever he has to say in order to save his client, then there you go.

It's horrible to think he murdered poor Melinda and may get away with it, but it's even more horrifying to me to think that he may now have access to his children. Without a conviction and if he makes bail, I'm afraid he will have custody of baby girl....and that his ex may be forced to honor their visitation agreement for their little boy.

Somebody please tell me I'm wrong. I so want to be wrong.

I just don't understand how ANYBODY could discount the fact that she was shot with her own gun. That alone is so damning.

I just don't understand how ANYBODY could discount the fact that she was shot with her own gun. That alone is so damning.

Yep! And so much more, including the fact he refused to allow his face to be swabbed for gunshot residue. That tells me that he hadn't anticipated a face swab and he had concerns they would find something. If you didn't do it, why not comply completely with investigators so they can rule you out and focus their attention on finding the "real" killer?

I can only hope that the jurors in this case. Google the case and find Webslueths. Perhaps then when facts about SL come forth, they won't be sleeping as soundly anymore.
A juror has a responsibility to analyze the evidence and make a sound decision. I am most worried about SL two children.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyTheSleuth