GUILTY IN - Melinda Lindsey, 23, shot to death, Porter County, 16 Jan 2015 - #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a policy with my fiance as my beneficiary, that's not completely unusual.

Also my understanding is that Metlife wouldn't approve the policy of that size without proof of SL having a policy. Maybe he did at the time with work, but once you leave your job you leave that policy with it.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/crime-...cle_566818f1-c321-5fc5-b5b8-d9e408acc091.html

The claim packet was mailed to Lindsey, but he never completed it and the claim was later denied anyway due to a misrepresentation of a medical issue and Lindsey’s failure to secure life insurance coverage of at least equal value for himself as was required, said Greg Mirabelli, an investigator with Met Life Insurance

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/crime-...cle_566818f1-c321-5fc5-b5b8-d9e408acc091.html

The claim packet was mailed to Lindsey, but he never completed it and the claim was later denied anyway due to a misrepresentation of a medical issue and Lindsey’s failure to secure life insurance coverage of at least equal value for himself as was required, said Greg Mirabelli, an investigator with Met Life Insurance
I'm referring to when the policy was issued. If it was a requirement for him to also have a policy they wouldn't have approved hers. To get a policy of that size usually requires a lot of red tape, Financials etc. He may have had a policy at the beginning, but if he lost it then it would be a violation. But an insurance company isn't going to issue a 1 mil policy for just anyone.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I totally agree with you. I'm not trying to argue. I have always found it very suspicious that they issued a $1M+ policy to a 23yo stay at home housewife. After seeing this testimony, I wondered if maybe they issued, then checked everything out later? I.e. Why didn't they know about the medical problem?

I know when my husband and I got our life insurance, we had to jump through serious hoops to qualify for smaller policies. We're much older. But we had to go for medical examinations. Had to provide all financials, etc. The entire thing is very strange.

"After seeing this testimony, I wondered if maybe they issued, then checked everything out later? I.e. Why didn't they know about the medical problem?"

You may already know the answer to this but I'm very familiar with how this works (30+ years at this), and the insurance company did issue the policy. They issued it based upon the answers that were provided on the application.

The medical issue was apparently not disclosed on the application. In addition, SL did not have life insurance coverage in the amount they required to issue Melinda's policy. My impression is he never had this amount of coverage and did not tell the truth on the application.

The two-year contestable clause allows the insurance company to go back and verify that all answers provided on the application were correct (if a claim occurs in the first two years of the policy). If misstatements were made on the application, the insurance company will void the contract.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/subur...ptb-lindsey-trial-st-0302-20160301-story.html

Robbins also told the jury that all but one of the zip ties collected from the scene, which were found on Steven Lindsey's wrists and next to his wife's foot, did not have them. The DNA that was found on one of them matched Steven Lindsey's DNA, she said.

This is interesting. You would think a guy who was sweating from just having a "choke out fight" with SL would have left some DNA on the zip tie he used to tie up SL.

Robbins said that fingernail scrapings taken from the defendant did not show any DNA present. Prosecutors have argued that if an intruder put Lindsey in a chokehold as he claims, he would have scratched at the intruder, which would have left skin samples under his fingernails.

And again, *IF* SL really did have a fight with someone, you would think he would have picked up some of their DNA. Not to mention (again) knock his blankie and remote off the sofa.

It sounds like it was a big day for the prosecution. Poor Melinda-to be so young and in love on the MetLife call. She had no idea of her husband's intentions. I hope that's what the jury concludes, too.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/subur...ptb-lindsey-trial-st-0302-20160301-story.html

Robbins also told the jury that all but one of the zip ties collected from the scene, which were found on Steven Lindsey's wrists and next to his wife's foot, did not have them. The DNA that was found on one of them matched Steven Lindsey's DNA, she said.

This is interesting. You would think a guy who was sweating from just having a "choke out fight" with SL would have left some DNA on the zip tie he used to tie up SL.

Robbins said that fingernail scrapings taken from the defendant did not show any DNA present. Prosecutors have argued that if an intruder put Lindsey in a chokehold as he claims, he would have scratched at the intruder, which would have left skin samples under his fingernails.

And again, *IF* SL really did have a fight with someone, you would think he would have picked up some of their DNA. Not to mention (again) knock his blankie and remote off the sofa.
iI

I always thought Lindsey expected the cops to believe that he was rendered unconscious while he was asleep and dragged, still unconscious, into the baby's room where he "woke up" to the sound of the gunshot.

In the previous trial a witness testified that was impossible because even if he had been put into a chokehold he would have blacked out for just a few seconds at most. But I don't remember the point being made that he didn't have DNA under his fingernails (doesn't mean it wasn't made, just not reported on). That's pretty damning.

iI

I always thought Lindsey expected the cops to believe that he was rendered unconscious while he was asleep and dragged, still unconscious, into the baby's room where he "woke up" to the sound of the gunshot.

In the previous trial a witness testified that was impossible because even if he had been put into a chokehold he would have blacked out for just a few seconds at most. But I don't remember the point being made that he didn't have DNA under his fingernails (doesn't mean it wasn't made, just not reported on). That's pretty damning.

I remember that too. If they follow up with the expert who testified about the length of time he "could have been" (*IF* his story is true) unconscious, this would be very damaging.

I can't think of any part of SL's "evidence" that's been proven to be true or completely accurate. I know the defense doesn't have to "prove" anything, just create reasonable doubt. But it really is disturbing when you think about the PILE of things he has either done or said that are either proven to be totally impossible, an outright lie, a "he said, she said, scenario (when conveniently the "she" is now dead and can't confirm or deny) how actions don't match words, or just leave you saying to yourself, "wait a minute!".

For example:

There's a stalker after your wife.
Action: Don't lock the doors

There's a stalker after your wife.
Action: Don't buy her a new remote so she can enter the garage safely with YOUR daughter.

You have a fight for your life on the sofa:
Action: You don't scream for your wife to bring the 40-caliber to blow the guy into next week. Rather you stay so quiet, your light sleeping wife doesn't even wake up. And you are so cooperative with this attacker, you don't even kick your blanket and remote off the sofa.

Your attacker drags you into daughter's room
Action: He somehow accomplishes this by weaving SL's body past all the obstacles that lay on the floor between the living room and the bedroom. Then somehow manages to zip tie SL without leaving any DNA on the tie.

This attacker is in the home having a struggle with SL, dragging him around the house, tying him up, and shoots Melinda.
Actions: The baby is (according to police) completely calm. The dogs did not bark. And SL somehow could not get to his feet to unlock the door to let the police in the room.

SL calls 911
Actions - He screams and yells incoherently into the phone. And according to his own words, doesn't know if the intruders are still there or not. Then he hangs up on 911 and calls his brother for 90 seconds. He then waits 5-6 minutes and calls 911 back. This time he says, "They took my wife, they shot my wife." Again, he has not left the baby's room. He has not gone to check on Melinda.

^^^
THIS (for me) is the biggest problem for SL. I am thinking of being scared to death having just been attacked and dragged into my baby's room and heard a gun shot. I don't know who, if anyone is still in my house. SOMEHOW, I have access to my cell phone and can call 911. The first thing I am going to do is call AS QUIETLY AS POSSIBLE for fear my attacker might hear me make the call. Even being completely petrified, I believe I could get the needed information required to the dispatcher in order to get help to me and my family as soon as possible. The LAST THING I would do is hang up on 911 and call someone else.

The other huge problem for me is that blanket and remote on the sofa. Had he had a real fight, those items would have been on the floor and that room would have LOOKED LIKE THERE HAD BEEN a fight.

I am praying for this jury to use their common sense.

The biggest problem for me is, and always has been, the fact that she was shot with her own gun. Nobody stages a home invasion hoping to find a loaded gun conveniently lying on the nightstand next to their sleeping victim. The whole idea is just ludicrous. Which makes me think that there was something else going on with the first jury - something besides the guilt or innocence of the accused.

Can't wait for the update from today!
I think the reporter who is covering this is doing a very good job. He has a certain amount of space to fill and he has a deadline that is probably very close to the end of the trial each day. He's giving us a good sense of what is going on, considering.

Can't wait for the update from today!

There is just a little more than a week left for the trial and there is still a lot the prosecution needs to cover! I am hopeful they throw out absolutely everything they have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mebleswiata