GUILTY IN - Skylea Carmack, 10, Gas City, Grant County, 31 Aug 2019 *stepmom arrested* *appeal filed 2022*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Yeah, I'm a little surprised too that LE didn't start the search with the house and any out buildings. I know when little ones (like 2 or 3 year olds) go missing it's the first place LE looks. It wouldn't have been too far out to imagine a 10 year old hiding out nearby in order to upset the parents.

OTOH, even if LE had entered the shed right away would they have checked beyond obvious hiding places? I'm pretty sure most of us would have looked in containers but we've seen cases play out like that so any LE not experienced with child homicides might not have even thought about it. I dunno.

The stories of Skylea running away before probably didn't help either. I wonder how early LE suspected foul play.
Maybe I'm jaded,from all the child murder cases,but I would have wondered why she would run away,frequently and my hinky meter would be activated. Question everything. I would definitely search every square inch of the property,and leave no stone unturned. Or get a search warrant. I don't understand why they didn't do that.

Family and friends devastated after murder of 10-year-old

And those who were there for Skylea's life, like Holly Little, her former stepmother who says she raised Skylea until she was 8-years-old, will remember a little girl who loved tremendously and had much more life to live.

"You can ask any of the biological parents, or anyone else, I am her mother, I raised her, and I loved that little girl, and I have always been in her life," Little said. "Skylea was very sweet, and she found humor in everything. She smiled."

Holly has many pics of Skylea where she looked much happier and healthier on her fb page. She also shared a post from a JT who said he called CPS many times trying to help her.

Amazing how the truth comes out AFTER the child is murdered. So some did reach out to CPS. Another case where a child in need has been left to fend for themselves and no one came to help. It infuriates me.

I have no words today.

Between Nalani and Skylea, (both such beautiful names and beautiful children), my heart absolutely aches.

There have been a lot of really bad child murders recently at the hands of parents, step parents, boyfriends, etc.

It will never end. Day after day children are living in peril, trying to get through day without being harmed, by those that are supposed to safeguard them and love them.

It makes me sick.

MOO

Another case of CPS not acting in a volatile home. I understand wholeheartedly that they are overburdened, but WHEN IS SOMETHING DONE about this? When do we begin to save the lives of these children?

It is absolutely infuriating how many babies, children and teens have died in these horrific situations and it keeps happening time and time again. It is very distressing to think about the children and teens living in hellish environments with nobody to save them.

Another case of CPS not acting in a volatile home. I understand wholeheartedly that they are overburdened, but WHEN IS SOMETHING DONE about this? When do we begin to save the lives of these children?
They wouldn't be over-burdened if they were properly managed. When management and staff don't do their job, they should be held accountable.

This article gives a good description of what went wrong with AJ Fruend's case in Illinois. The State Attorney for that county even complained and was ignored. Have workers been fired? Of course not; they merely got reassigned.
Exclusive: DCFS investigators reveal missteps of agency

JMO

The Grant County coroner says the 10-year old girl was strangled, and it appears some sort of cord or rope was used in the crime.

That development comes as townspeople try to cope with the tragedy.

What do you do to honor the memory of a child who died so young, in such a violent way?

A number of mementos left outside the girl’s home keeps growing, showing that people in Gas City are trying hard to figure out a way to do just that.

I was sitting on the back of my couch and I thought I need to do something, it’s nothing really, but it made me feel a little bit better,” said Gloria Peters, who brought a stuffed teddy bear and laid it in the front lawn near other items set down to pay tribute to Skylea Carmack.
upload_2019-9-5_17-1-0.jpeg
Gas City mayor counsels officers not to let stress build up from investigation into 10-yr. old’s murder

A rope ???
omg.
Thinking about the killer's post referring to Skylea.

I have too much anger right now towards the murderer, and everyone who knew and did nothing.

My utmost condolences to those who tried but couldn't do anything else except to stand back and watch these children's horrible existence.

The other children in that household have to have some trauma... even more now.
In some other cases, the other siblings or children who live in the house can do nothing to protect the scapegoat -- or they'll suffer the same fate.

I'm guessing Skylea was targeted at some point. Maybe even from the very beginning. :(

The other children in that household have to have some trauma... even more now.
In some other cases, the other siblings or children who live in the house can do nothing to protect the scapegoat -- or they'll suffer the same fate.

I'm guessing Skylea was targeted at some point. Maybe even from the very beginning. :(
RSBM

Erica Parsons comes to mind :(

Grandma of murdered Gas City girl says she saw signs from accused stepmom
Skylea Carmack’s grandmother has a warning to anyone who may be seeing signs a child isn’t getting proper treatment.

Brenda Helmuth is the mother of Skylea’s father, Kevin Carmack. She is filled with regret after learning her grandchild was murdered Saturday. Police believe Skylea was killed by her stepmother, Amanda Carmack.

Helmuth said Amanda didn’t allow her to see Skylea very often but when she did, Helmuth had concerns. Now, she regrets staying quiet about them.

“I’ve always said that there was something wrong,” said Helmuth.

More at link.

Grandma of murdered Gas City girl says she saw signs from accused stepmom

Father of missing 10-year-old from Gas City speaks out
———-
A couple of things really stood out in that article. Just my opinion....

1)“Helmuth said Amanda didn’t allow her to see Skylea very often but when she did, Helmuth had concerns. Now, she regrets staying quiet about them.”

“I’ve always said that there was something wrong,” said Helmuth.”

“Her father said Skylea has a history of running away but usually she goes to his mom’s house.”

• Grandmother (Helmut) had concerns. Always said something was wrong. Who was she always saying this to? The man in the moon? Did she ever think about picking up the phone and calling someone? How about asking her son what the h*ll is going on with HIS daughter? And the father says she has a history of running away to his mothers-yet grandmother says she didn’t see her much. Yeah, sure.
———-
2) “Helmuth said she used to let Amanda watch her adopted 3-year-old.”

“She was my babysitter,” said Helmuth. “He came home and said ‘Amanda is mean.’”

•Grandmother (Helmuth) let Amanda babysit a 3 year old. Yet didn’t get to see Skylea. And still didn’t do a thing.
——-
3) “She said her son, Kevin, is blaming himself for not knowing.”

“Kevin is like ‘mom, why didn’t they tell me?’ Well, they were scared,” said Helmuth.”

•Why didn’t they tell him? Is there something wrong with his eyes and ears? She was his only biological child living with that witch.
——
4) “I just wish we could have pulled her out before, and pulled all the kids out before all this,” said Helmuth. “We all miss her, we all love her, but yeah, she is definitely in a better place than living with her.”

•But yeah, she is definitely in a better place than living with her. Good lord, what kind of statement is that?

I wonder if she received any money for taking care of her brother's kids. I could see her taking them on for the extra income only.
The youngest, which is her son, his father is deceased so I am sure he/She gets a check from social security. He was also a marine veteran so i don't know if that would add any benefits.

[QUOTE="gitana1, post: 15386838, member: 6459"i I ]

She chose the worst of the two group shots as her cover page. Not the one in which Skylea fake smiles for the camera and both dogs are present. She chooses the one in which Skylea morosely stares at the camera.

I see that one child is blocked in the fake smiles photo but there was no way she could try for another? Most of those kids were old enough to pose for a few seconds for a camera.

And the youngest? He looks pretty big to be wearing nothing but a diaper. Maybe he's tall...

The whole thing reeks of dysfunction. Maybe that's only hindsight. I don't know.

She seems to have been even more transparent in her instability in her FB blog at first glance.[/QUOTE]
I agree, on both photos, the people are somewhat chaotically grouped. To me it indicates certain disorganization in her thinking. Unless she wanted to demonstrate “beautiful chaos” of her home.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1
Back