GUILTY IN - Skylea Carmack, 10, Gas City, Grant County, 31 Aug 2019 *stepmom arrested* *appeal filed 2022*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
From first hand knowledge, because I grew up in similar circumstances, I know that children are scared to tell anyone and will not tell the truth. Partily because they don't know the big picture. If she had told her father or her grandmother, for instance, how does she know they will believe her. If they confront AC, all SC knows is there will be hell to pay when she is goes back home.
Family and the children work very hard to try to not aggravate people like AC, she is known to be volatile and violent. In fact she prides herself on not taking any **** from anyone. Most people would not have the courage to step in or have the confidence that CPS would take the kids away permanently, which was the only solution. Even then they may not have felt safe.
She is an angry, vindictive person that most adults would try to pacify because the alternative is so grim. Her friends are good examples, they supported her and enabled her behavior instead of telling her like they saw .
This is only an attempt at an explanation, it is not in any way an excuse. MOO MOO MOO

Because it's about absolute power with sociopaths, who masquerade as Empaths.

Slightly o/t, this reminds me of the latest trend of Manchausen Mothers on Social Media, publicly trying to get sympathy for their sick kids. I saw something on TV the other day about this—one lady had 4 different FB profiles, all with different friends. All the prayers on SM “going up” for the little boy, getting all this attention on FB, meanwhile she was poisoning her son with salt. Moo.

Still catching up, but this case has had a Lucas and Turpins vibe from the start, imo. Louise Turpin’s sister was actually on the latest edition of “Evil Lives Here” (the show I always talk about that has the tagline “But there had been signs...”). As already mentioned in here by others, the “homeschooling” in these abusive cases is about isolating and controlling. For anyone interested, check out the latest episode on ID about the Turpin Case.

Last edited:
Indiana Home School Laws
I am sure that sharing this information will upset folks who will cite that they have the right to choose and do for their children as they see fit, and I absolutely agree. And, the majority of home schooled children and their families are above reproach.
But, how is the loophole experienced by SC which ended in her death, closed? Who speaks for the other children from that house? Under these circumstances there could be six other children who, truly, could reach adulthood and cannot read or write or do simple math.
I am not putting this out to start an argument on here about whether home schooling is a right or not etc. but as an anguished observation of how absolutely everything and everyone has let this child down. She never had a chance !!!

BBM I know. I don't know how homeschooling even came about? My grandkids were sooo excited for school to start this year, they missed their friends and comradery that goes with it. Kids need that.

I saw a commercial the other day for online schooling—kids can now “go to school online” for the entire duration, K thru 12. Moo.

They wouldn't be over-burdened if they were properly managed. When management and staff don't do their job, they should be held accountable.

This article gives a good description of what went wrong with AJ Fruend's case in Illinois. The State Attorney for that county even complained and was ignored. Have workers been fired? Of course not; they merely got reassigned.
Exclusive: DCFS investigators reveal missteps of agency

JMO
Not only should they be fired,there should be criminal charges,and prison time. Then and only then will we see real change. Hold DCSF,Judges etc accountable for their failures,and decisions. They also need to forget about 'intact Families'. It's insanity. What they are doing is not working. It only gives the abusers more chances to torture,maim,and murder. May as well give drunk drivers a couple fifths,and a car and wait to see what happens, with the way they do things.
Kudos to the States Attourney for having the backbone to dare and go against the machine.
MOO

According to court documents, Carmack told police Skylea had taken a charm bracelet from one of the other children who lived in the home. She told Skylea to clean her room while she prepared dinner. Carmack said Skylea never came down for dinner and when she went to check on her, she was not in her room.

Documents say Carmack called her husband to tell him Skylea was missing and he told her to notify police.

When police interviewed Carmack, she denied hitting her children with her hands or a belt, but later admitted to slapping Skylea after she caught her taking another child's charm bracelet.

Documents say Carmack was vague with investigators about where she was when Skylea went missing. When asked if she did anything to cause her to disappear, she said "I don't remember" or "It doesn't matter." A detective asked if she killed Skylea, and Carmack did not admit or deny it.
Stepmother charged in Gas City girl's murder

Slightly o/t, this reminds me of the latest trend of Manchausen Mothers on Social Media, publicly trying to get sympathy for their sick kids. I saw something on TV the other day about this—one lady had 4 different FB profiles, all with different friends. All the prayers on SM “going up” for the little boy, getting all this attention on FB, meanwhile she was poisoning her son with salt. Moo.

Still catching up, but this case has had a Lucas and Turpins vibe from the start, imo. Louise Turpin’s sister was actually on the latest edition of “Evil Lives Here” (the show I always talk about that has the tagline “But there had been signs...”). As already mentioned in here by others, the “homeschooling” in these abusive cases is about isolating and controlling. For anyone interested, check out the latest episode on ID about the Turpin Case.
Oh Don't even get me going on the Munchausen Garbage. It really pisses me off when they say the murder suffered from Munchausen. BS their victim suffered. The murderer thoroughly enjoyed it. PERIOD.
The homeschooling is another tangent.
MOO

My children are second generation homeschoolers. My husband and I both were homeschooled as well. My kids are not socially isolated. They have extracurricular activities nearly every day of the week from American Heritage Girls, Boy Scouts, Science Olympiad, ballet, tap, choir, celtic dance, swing dance, choir, speech and debate etc. As well as online French, German and writing courses etc. As well as regular dances and social activities.

I'm so tired of the abuse among other so called homeschoolers. But it's a minority. Part of the reason people want oversight is how will someone know if something is wrong with the home or with the kids? And yet, we know that abuse regarding Skylea was reported multiple times by at least 5 people publicly claiming they reported it. Nothing was done. So how does that solve the problem? I see this over and over again where children end up dead whose families were reported to CPS.

Is the problem really lack of reporting of at risk children or lack of follow up by CPS when children are reported?

According to court documents, Carmack told police Skylea had taken a charm bracelet from one of the other children who lived in the home. She told Skylea to clean her room while she prepared dinner. Carmack said Skylea never came down for dinner and when she went to check on her, she was not in her room.

Documents say Carmack called her husband to tell him Skylea was missing and he told her to notify police.

When police interviewed Carmack, she denied hitting her children with her hands or a belt, but later admitted to slapping Skylea after she caught her taking another child's charm bracelet.

Documents say Carmack was vague with investigators about where she was when Skylea went missing. When asked if she did anything to cause her to disappear, she said "I don't remember" or "It doesn't matter." A detective asked if she killed Skylea, and Carmack did not admit or deny it.
"It doesn't matter" seeing red right now. Empath my @$$. Poor Sweet Skylea.

During the investigation, Skylea's six other siblings told detectives Carmack was "a strict disciplinarian," and she had physically abused them.

Skylea had been restricted to her bedroom for the last week and a half before her death, according to the probable cause affidavit.
upload_2019-9-6_9-33-11.jpeg
Stepmother of Gas City 10-year-old charged with murder

How on earth did she think she was going to get away with what she had done to Skylea? Did she think she could outsmart LE and the FBI?

I hope more abuse charges are coming for the other children she has abused.

I have worked with a lot of homeschooled children in capacities such as tutoring and extra curricular activities. I always ask them if they like being homeschooled, and to tell me a little about their daily schedules. One thing I’m always looking for is to see if and what other types of activities these children are involved in, or are they totally isolated.

The main reason I get for kids being homeschooled is that their parents don’t want their child to be exposed to other “bad kids” their age and want to be able to teach them their own values and make sure they are not corrupted by other kids.

Another main reason I get for homeschooling is that the parents are not happy with the teachers or school, and may feel like their child isn’t getting a proper education.

I have seen some very balanced young people who are homeschooled. They go to church groups, athletic events, dance lessons, etc, so they are not totally isolated from the outside world or other kids their age.

So, with the concerns in this day and age about receiving a quality education, as well as the increasing violence in schools, etc., I can understand why some parents make this decision; therefore it’s important to obviously note that all homeschooled children are not suffering behind closed doors. But obviously there are some, if not many it seems who are suffering behind closed doors and this is very concerning.

Last edited:
During the investigation, Skylea's six other siblings told detectives Carmack was "a strict disciplinarian," and she had physically abused them.

Skylea had been restricted to her bedroom for the last week and a half before her death, according to the probable cause affidavit.
View attachment 202714
Stepmother of Gas City 10-year-old charged with murder
Those poor kids. My heart breaks for them. I hope they get placed in a safe,and loving environment now.

This is a thought, and I’m not sure if it is plausible or not, but I think it could be helpful if LE or other agencies could check up on children who’s parents have been arrested for things such as DV and drugs. Of course sometimes an abuser may not have a criminal record, but if they do, perhaps this could help some children who are currently living in abusive and violent households.

Those poor kids. My heart breaks for them. I hope they get placed in a safe,and loving environment now.

I feel the same way I just hope it isn’t the same CPS caseworkers who failed Skylea that are involved. They need to be kept well away from the people that contributed to the horrific abusive situation they were in and Skylea’s abuse and murder.

The kids told police that when they got in trouble, Carmack would make them stand with their face against the wall with their hands in the air.

Sometimes they would have to stay like that for hours.

Other times, the children told police that Carmack would whip them with her pink belt, and confine them to their bedrooms. They would only be allowed to come out to use the restroom or to eat.

One of the children told officers that Skylea had been confined to her bedroom for the last week and a half before she ended up dead.

Police said she was sitting on the interview room floor sobbing as she recounted to officers what happened.

Carmack said she remembers being on top of Skylea in the white shed while the child was on her back.

She said she started choking her with her hands, but then tied something around her neck.

Once Skylea died, Carmack told detectives she put the girl’s body in a black trash bag and left her in the shed.

The only explanation she gave to police was that she was very angry.

Carmack is due to appear in court in the next few days.
‘I was very angry’; Court documents reveal what happened in strangling death

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HEYN0W