GUILTY India - Scarlett Keeling, 15, found dead on Goa beach, 18 Feb 2008

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
It's okay if she doesn't blame herself.

We can all do that for her.

Unfortunately, with her attitude, the other 8 children don't have much of a chance, either.

Well said. Although, while I hold her mostly responsible (only because she didn't ACTUALLY end her life with her own hands), I have to commend her on seeing this through. She just may have made this location a little safer by causing a fuss.

Poor thing, she must have been so scared!

From October 2014:

http://www.itv.com/news/westcountry...into-scarlett-keelings-death-coming-to-close/

Fiona MacKeown has had no official confirmation but a witness has told her the trial of two men accused of causing Scarlett's death may finally come to an end in the next few months.

From February 2015:

http://www.goacom.com/goa-news-high...ling-case-police-officer-deposes-before-court

Goa children's court has begun recording statements of the investigating officer in the alleged killing case of British teenager Scarlett Keeling...

Almost seven years have passed since Scarlett's death, but the statement of prime witness Michael Mannion alias Mike Masala, a British national, is yet to be recorded in the trial... CBI special public prosecutor Ejaz Khan on Thursday examined the investigating officer, Nerlon Albuquerque... Police inspector Braz Menezes, who was the second investigating officer in the case, is also on the list of witnesses to depose before the court...

Scarlett's mother Fiona MacKeown had appealed to British foreign minister William Hague to urge the Indian government to speed up the inquiry into the "murder" of her daughter, which has been dragging on for over six years.

Interesting use of quotation marks in that last paragraph...

Wow I followed this case at the time and had no idea this had been going on. I didn't think Scarlett had been mentioned in the British press for years. Wonder why no one followed it up after Oct?

Small mention in this article from a few weeks ago but the ref linked to her murder is from 2008

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-34311423

Why India's Goa wants its British tourists back

"Goa's tourism trade body (TTAG) and a state-level marketing committee went into a huddle and decided to step up efforts to bring back British and West European travellers.

The issue figured in the state legislative assembly in August, when a legislator from the governing Bharatiya Janata Party, Michael Lobo, said Britons were avoiding Goa due to rising incidents of bag snatching, the murder of British teenager Scarlett Keeling and Goa's inability to solve its garbage management problems."

Bit sad she's lumped in with those two other examples :/

From January 2016
Scarlett Keeling case: JMFC judge holds key
Panaji: In the Scarlett Keeling case, the Goa children's court has issued summons to then Mapusa JMFC judge who had recorded the statement of the prime witness, Michael Mannion alias Mike Masala. Hitherto, the trial against alleged killers of the British teenager —Samson D'Souza and Placido Carvalho —had been held up due to the unavailability of Mannion.

The court believes that the JMFC judge could give material evidence, produce some documents, etc, that would enable it to prosecute the accused. In the court summons, issued under Section 66 CrPC, children's court president, Vandana Tendulkar, has requested the then JMFC judge to appear before the court on February 3 to testify with respect to the statement made by Mannion under Section 164 CrPC as recorded by her.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...JMFC-judge-holds-key/articleshow/50489926.cms

From September:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/sep/23/scarlett-keeling-goa-judge-clears-men-of-beach-death

The mother of 15-year-old Scarlett Keeling has pledged to continue fighting for justice after two men were cleared of raping and killing her daughter in India in 2008...

Samson d’Souza and Placido Carvalho were alleged to have plied Scarlett with drugs, raped her and left her unconscious on the beach, where she subsequently drowned. But they were acquitted of charges of rape and culpable homicide at Goa children’s court on Friday...

“I didn’t have any expectations. I tried not to because I didn’t want to be disappointed,” she said. “But I’m just reeling at the moment, I’m gutted. It’s been such a long time.

Today:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...arlett-keeling-case-in-india-face-court-again

The two men acquitted of the rape and murder of 15-year-old Scarlett Keeling in 2008 are set to return to the courts after India’s Central Bureau of Investigation made a surprise announcement that it is appealing against the judgment...

Its petition states that the judge in the children’s court acquitted the men despite not having “applied her judicial mind both on points of law and on facts of the case”. The CBI also said the judge had wrongly concluded that there was a delay in recording witness statements...

The appeal, which could last up to 18 months, could begin at the Bombay high court in just two to three months.

This reminded me of Scarlett's case:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-39274768

Police are treating the death of an Irish woman found near a beach in the southern Indian state of Goa as murder.
Danielle McLaughlin's body was discovered in an isolated spot close to tourist resorts in Canacona on Tuesday.
Ms McLaughlin, who was 28, and grew up in Buncrana, County Donegal, suffered injuries on her face and head.
Police are treating her death as murder. A post-mortem examination has taken place to establish if she was sexually assaulted.
Police said a 24-year-old man has been arrested and remains in custody.

A Indian court has convicted one of the two men charged over the rape and killing of British teenager Scarlett Keeling in Goa in 2008.

The high court in Goa found Samson D'Souza guilty of "culpable homicide not amounting to murder". It upheld the acquittal of Placido Carvalho.

A lower court had acquitted both men in 2016 after a prolonged trial, but the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) appealed against the verdict.

D'Souza will be sentenced on Friday.

Man convicted of killing UK teenager on Goa beach

I remember this case well as I'd been to Anjuna beach a few years earlier. It's where the hippie market was - vibrant, colourful, busy and fun. There was a magic mushroom pizza stall run by an English couple who spent 6 months of the year living it up in Goa making the occasional magic pizza, and the other 6 months working flat out doing nightshifts in UK call centres to fund their next stint in paradise. I often wonder what happened to them. Mortgaged with kids and bills like most of us, probably.

Lovely place, great memories, tasty pizza ;)

I read all thread and I am absolutely disturbed by comments on whole first three pages . All based on one article and worst of all - daily mail. I genuinly hope no one from their family will ever read this.

I am really glad after such a long time he is finally found guilty even though getting quite low amount of 10 years.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avatour360
Back