Interim discussion regarding questions from the jury and Arias on the stand #79

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am glad I got to read it too. Before I retired I worked in a court/community school where many of the students had the same characteristics. They had no remorse for what they had done or no self control to stop what they were doing. Many of the students have ended up in prison for various crimes, including murder (one student killed her mother). Most of these students were given many chances to change....group therapy, anger management, etc. They were continually in juvenile hall and were quite proud of it. Turning 18 and going to the regular jail never worried them. It's all about self service and they live only in the moment. I could go on and on.

Crazy there is this entire world out there that I was unaware of. It makes sense, people are born blind, deaf, and so on so why not born without certain emotions. It is a very scary thing IMO

BBM

I have a Ford Focus and I believe, I'll check later, that it has a 14 gallon tank.

Re: Budget rental car

#113: http://i2.cdn.turner.com/dr/hln/www/...et_3_-_qp1.jpg

WHI FORD FOCU 4DR = White Ford Focus 4 door ??Year??

If 2008 model:
[http://www.edmunds.com/ford/focus/20...yle=&sub=sedan]

ENGINE TYPE Gas
FUEL TYPE Regular unleaded
FUEL TANK CAPACITY 13.5 gal.

RANGE IN MILES (CTY/HWY) 324.0/472.5 mi.
EPA MILEAGE EST. (CTY/HWY) 24/35 mpg

If 2007 model: [http://www.edmunds.com/ford/focus/20...yle=&sub=sedan]

ENGINE TYPE Gas
FUEL TYPE Regular unleaded
FUEL TANK CAPACITY 14.0 gal.

RANGE IN MILES (CTY/HWY) 336.0/462.0 mi.
EPA MILEAGE EST. (CTY/HWY) 24/33 mpg

Yes. IT is not a large bullet but if it was at close range it would look different. My guess is he was laying on the floor and she shot him standing away from him.

Yes. It had to be at least 30" away or he would have had stippling (burn) from a gunshot at close range. This burn does not wash off and was not found on his body per the ME.

RSBM

I don't think the suicide notes were admitted, IIRC, therefore they were not made available, AFAIK. HTH

Didn't you just love Juan's objection to them? Pretty much said, well, since she's not dead, she didn't follow through on them, so not admissible!! LOL

Crazy there is this entire world out there that I was unaware of. It makes sense, people are born blind, deaf, and so on so why not born without certain emotions. It is a very scary thing IMO

I think that's what frightens me the most about her. She will NEVER have remorse for killing Travis. She will never CARE. That's so sad to me.

It's almost impossible to believe there are people like this in the world. But I guess it's true.

I just realized what the blue mark is that was in question with the Priceline purchase making the transaction seem as a credit. It was a pen mark on the projector, starting at 1:01:00, keep your eye on the mark...Juan moves the paper and the mark doesn't move.

Mystery solved! Am I a sleuther or WHAT?! LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiyTqi9Wc2s

Good Job :hug:

Wait,Didn't she read from them from the stand?

Yes, she was reading them to herself, but I don't think they were entered. I thought JM opposed to their admission since she never acted on the suicide...or something funny to that effect.

I would pay to find out what the fight was about on 5/26. To my recollection, that was never brought up in court. It had to be something bad for Travis to be so upset and call her a sociopath, imo.

My problem with the gun shot is how did she get so lucky since she knows nothing about guns to hit him dead on if he is lunging at her. Total BS!
Well, when Juan asked her to expand on her familiarity with guns, she said (paraphrasing) that she basically learned enough to point and shoot. So...

She tossed this off pretty nonchalantly, too. I just keep shaking my head.

Also, I think she had stabbed him first and maybe even slit his throat. I keep feeling like the gunshot was basically to (I am so sorry to type this) finish him off. I seem to think the ME mentioned he might already have been dead when shot, but I am not sure I'm remembering that correctly.

Regarding the gas cans, I believe it went as follows :

1) Monterey - Arias borrows (2) can from DB
2) Salinas - Arias buys the 3rd can from Salinas Walmart and never returns it;
3) Pasadena - Arias fills the car with credit card; fills one of DB cans and the new can with the $40 cash; fills the 3rd can (one of DB's cans) with 2.77 gals as it already had some gas
4) Somewhere between Pasadena - Mesa, but probably closer to Mesa - Arias fills the car with the gas from the cans
5) After the murder, Arias drives through and out of Arizona, filling up somewhere close to the original route (I-15) from S.California to West Jordan UT
6) After seeing Ryan Burns, Arias fills car and all (3) gas cans in SLC
7) Arias fills car in Winnemucca and then again in Sparks NV
8) Somewhere in between Sparks NV and when she returned the car in Redding CA (26 hour gap), Arias has herself a bonfire destroying the remainder of the evidence and causing the smoke smell in the car. Newly purchased gas can is left behind.

IMO, there are approximately 250 unaccounted miles on Arias' rental car receipt, most likely used between Sparks NV and Redding CA. Arias would have needed the extra gas to divert off the main road and also to destroy evidence. The car was also returned with no gas in it.

Check out the bank statement from yesterday's testimony - there is a transaction for fuel in Mesquite, NV (off of I-15, n. of Las Vegas near the AZ border) that precedes the transactions in SLC. This would be her first gas station fill up after Pasadena and is almost exactly the distance she would be capable of travelling on 28.5 gallons of fuel (13.5 in car tank and 15 in the three spare tanks).

Approximately 800 miles by my calculation.

28.5 gallons X 28 MPG = 798 miles.

Most people, men in particular, who are looking to own a gun for protection or just target shooting aren't buying a .25 caliber. More common to have a 9mm or a 45.

I guess Travis was just unlucky to have a loaded .25 in his closet when this all went down and JA was protecting herself. I mean, what are the odds that the gun was loaded and it was a caliber which typically causes the most internal damage given its lack of power (i.e., bullets don't exit as easily as a higher caliber gun)?

These 25 cal guns have shot people where the bullet didn't even go through their clothing--they don't pack much of a punch and even a 22 cal bullet has much more punch than a 25 cal.If it had have been a 9mm it would have went right through with a lot more damage and mess.

Wait,Didn't she read from them from the stand?

She did not read them aloud, she reviewed them when Nurmi asked her to and then nothing was ever said about them because Nurmi went to admit them and JM objected.

Check the tape : Day 29 Part 2 - from about 13:20 through 17:00 - they would have been exhibits 514-521. Nurmi picks up with journal entries afterwards - exhibits 510 and 522 but he never questions her about the suicide letters. I think he brought them out because a juror asked about them - he made his drama by asking her to review and verify knowing full well JM would object and they would not come in. But the little show was for the juror who asked a question about them.

These are some of the exhibits from the suicide talk.
Sorry, I didn't put exhibit numbers on them.

KMouse!!! On your third pic, look at the opposing page. The is talking about Esther, and the beginning of her last name is there!!

Well, when Juan asked her to expand on her familiarity with guns, she said (paraphrasing) that she basically learned enough to point and shoot. So...

She tossed this off pretty nonchalantly, too. I just keep shaking my head.

Just so happens to hit Travis right smack dab in the temple. Uh huh...

Pretty damn good shot considering she was about to be tackled by a linebacker who wasn't exactly giving her a clear shot since his head would have been moving down and side to side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m_ks