Interrogation Tactics

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Since they were working at a 31 day deficit time was the essential factor above all in locating Caylee. From everything I have seen and read about the interrogation LE was measured, in control and and searching for any indication from KC as to the whereabouts of Caylee, gauging all of her responses (both intentional and unintentional) for likelihood of recovering a living child. I think that they had a pretty good idea by the time they left the room at Universal, but this did not prevent them from continuing to search for a live Caylee.

I think we all do need to keep in mind how much information there was 18 hours after the 911 calls. LE probably had suspicion, but in all honesty - how would you even begin to process a young woman who's daughter has been missing for 31 days, who had not called the cops and then who is lying left and right about everything? I think LE did the best they could at the time. I also think that if they had a few minutes with her today, that interrogation would go MUCH differently. Unfortunately, it won't happen.

LE on this case should really be applauded for the lengths they went to be fair and get all the necessary information and to play by the rules. I can think of many other cases where LE dropped the ball and were completely unprofessional (ah-hem, JBR case)... As always, JMHO :dance:

:waitasec:Is all LE was trying to do was get the truth from a very good liar. They were merely asking her direct questions in hope of finding little Caylee. They did NO wrong-doing IMO.

I think it unfortunate KC was subject to such cruel and harsh interrogation techniques, i.e. Ahh, well... they never offered to fetch her a sandwich! Ya, withholding turkey sandwich, cruel and unusual interrogation in anyone's book!!@!

USARDOG, you thought the interrogation tactics that LE used were harsh and cruel? Some might suggest that water boarding is cruel and harsh. Not I. That is what LE should've used on her.:clap::fight:

I don't think I can judge the detective's interrogation tactics merely by listening to the tape from their trip to Universal. We only have the audio, we can't see Casey, or evaluate body language. We also don't have access to the events and interaction between the detectives and Casey before they turned on the recorder. Knowing that these were experienced and competent detectives, and knowing about Casey, I assume that this was the best we could expect.

No one in her family got information out of her. Friends couldn't get her to talk. Tim Miller couldn't get her to even point to a map. I don't think different officers or different tactics would have made much difference.

I don't think I can judge the detective's interrogation tactics merely by listening to the tape from their trip to Universal. We only have the audio, we can't see Casey, or evaluate body language. We also don't have access to the events and interaction between the detectives and Casey before they turned on the recorder. Knowing that these were experienced and competent detectives, and knowing about Casey, I assume that this was the best we could expect.

No one in her family got information out of her. Friends couldn't get her to talk. Tim Miller couldn't get her to even point to a map. I don't think different officers or different tactics would have made much difference.

Umm, let me guess what her body language said...
Does my hair look good? Is my shirt tight enough to show my *advertiser censored*?
Excuse me while I preen. Let me run my hands over my hair a few times while I think of the answer..
Let me pull my shirt a bit tighter over my *advertiser censored*.
If I shake my head, my hair flips around really nicely.
Missing child? This is really irritating me. Note to self- try to look concerned...

What's interesting is the Spanish Inquisition used several forms of "interrogation techniques" (read torture). One of which we (the US) used very recently. It was called interrogatorio mejorado del agua (Water Enhanced Interrogation or Waterboarding) by the Spanish inquisitors. I don't exactly recall but to my knowledge ICA wasn't sent to GITMO for "enhanced interrogation".

She was questioned sternly (after her game playing and lies) about the whereabouts of her child that was reported missing (not by her). Questions that any not guilty of killing her child mother would gladly answer. ICA was not in a custodial interrorgation and was not under arrest at the time of the questioning so therefore LE was not required to give her Miranda Warnings. Even if she was in a custodial interrogation situation LE could still question her with out the Miranda Warning being given. Her statements during that questioning could be deemed inadmissible however any evidence gleaned from those questions would still be admissible in court. (United States v. Patane, 542 U.S. 630)

USARDOG, you thought the interrogation tactics that LE used were harsh and cruel? Some might suggest that water boarding is cruel and harsh. Not I. That is what LE should've used on her.:clap::fight:

I believe USARDOG was being a little sarcastic. Not serious at all, IMO.

I believe USARDOG was being a little sarcastic. Not serious at all, IMO.

Of course Trapshooter is correct, I was being just a bit sarcastic. Now, with holding a BLT with Canadian Apple Wood Smoked Bacon... Now THAT would be cruel and unusual punishment@!!!!!

I have read through this thread and do not understand the point/intent of it. Can someone help me clarify?

I have read through this thread and do not understand the point/intent of it. Can someone help me clarify?

HI PM, I believe the thread started because one or 2 posters thought KC was subjected to harsh interrogation. Of course, they must have been watching some other tape than the one I saw, because as I saw it, the detectives were more than fair, were very professional. Problem is, when confronted with a missing child, and the last person to see her alive refuse to say anything truthful, it will peak the interest of any detective.

HI PM, I believe the thread started because one or 2 posters thought KC was subjected to harsh interrogation. Of course, they must have been watching some other tape than the one I saw, because as I saw it, the detectives were more than fair, were very professional. Problem is, when confronted with a missing child, and the last person to see her alive refuse to say anything truthful, it will peak the interest of any detective.

I can't understand why anyone would would feel KC was subjected to harsh interrogation....when there was a missing baby...if anything....more should have been done. We are lucky with what she told LE before she got a lawyer...my God....a baby was missing...

The detectives were more than fair and patient with her. There was a little 'good cop bad cop' imo, but her lies - her never ending, disgusting, time wasting lies were enough to warrant a lot worse. However, this is America and we don't do that to our citizens...

This is an interesting read from an FBI instructor. Thought this might be a good thread to bring it back one more time.

http://www.crimeandclues.com/index..../47-/81--what-do-suspects-words-really-reveal

I can't understand why anyone would would feel KC was subjected to harsh interrogation....when there was a missing baby...if anything....more should have been done. We are lucky with what she told LE before she got a lawyer...my God....a baby was missing...

PM, like all things in life, it depends on your perspective... I believe CA would tell you KC was subjected to inhumane interrogation. She would likely tell you the entire sheriff's department, and none less than the state of Florida were involved in framing this "Mother of the year" for something she did not do. KC her self might also "believe" this. Of course, up to this very day in her life, KC was permitted to get away with anything she could think up a good lie for, so this refusal to believe her stories was I'm sure, quite a shock for her.

PM, like all things in life, it depends on your perspective... I believe CA would tell you KC was subjected to inhumane interrogation. She would likely tell you the entire sheriff's department, and none less than the state of Florida were involved in framing this "Mother of the year" for something she did not do. KC her self might also "believe" this. Of course, up to this very day in her life, KC was permitted to get away with anything she could think up a good lie for, so this refusal to believe her stories was I'm sure, quite a shock for her.

BBM

ITA! I have always felt that KC thought she would just feed some bull$h^t story to the police and they would just go "Ohhhh! OK!" and she would then go on her merry way, sleeping with TL, and pole dancing at Fusion, and stealing from anyone who was unlucky enough to be in her vicinity. Of course, I also think that she NEVER believed that CA would ACTUALLY call LE. CA had probably threatened her numerous times in the past and never followed up on it. CA just listened to KC's far-fetched stories and let it go. That's is what I honestly think KC figured would happen this time, too. JMO

I think it unfortunate KC was subject to such cruel and harsh interrogation techniques, i.e. Ahh, well... they never offered to fetch her a sandwich! Ya, withholding turkey sandwich, cruel and unusual interrogation in anyone's book!!@!

:floorlaugh: In addition to bending over backwards to keep the interrogation techniques from getting out of hand, it is true they were nice, but forgot the turkey sandwich.

BBM

ITA! I have always felt that KC thought she would just feed some bull$h^t story to the police and they would just go "Ohhhh! OK!" and she would then go on her merry way, sleeping with TL, and pole dancing at Fusion, and stealing from anyone who was unlucky enough to be in her vicinity. Of course, I also think that she NEVER believed that CA would ACTUALLY call LE. CA had probably threatened her numerous times in the past and never followed up on it. CA just listened to KC's far-fetched stories and let it go. That's is what I honestly think KC figured would happen this time, too. JMO

Think you have hit it on the head. IMO she is just now coming to terms with the fact that they actually wanted her to tell the truth, which of course, she was never required to do before. I think you are exactly correct, she thought she would feed them some BS, and they would go... "Oh... OK KC, have a nice day."

I think if LE had actually let KC go she would have texted them that night and asked them if they were interested in attending a function at Fusion. jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MLCS