GUILTY Ireland - Ashling Murphy, 23, school teacher, beaten to death, Tullamore, County Offaly, 12 Jan 2022 *arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Well,
This is what I predicted while reading reports of this tragedy.
The crime was absolutely disorganised, the mark of a "madman".
Possible suicide attempt.
And now the revelation of disability.
But, we shall see.
I don't know about insanity but some things tell me that this man has a very low IQ - the disorganised crime and then stupidly telling the hospital that he lived in Offaly.
Exactly this. The police and courts will insist on an interpreter so nothing can be... misinterpreted... to prevent him potentially getting acquitted on a technicality. He may not need it day to day, but it ensures there are no misunderstandings in interview questioning.
In the UK at least I believe they also often assign a "responsible adult" to people of low intellect to make sure they understand the questions. That happens even when the person is a native English speaker or even if they don't have an intellectual disability - just reason to believe the suspect has low IQ. I saw that on 24 Hours in Police Custody and thought it was interesting. Makes sense too because there's less time wasted on claims of not understanding - whether they be genuine or not.

Posts online allegedly saying that he said he was attacked when presenting with stab injuries. Suggesting it was attempt to tie in his other injuries with a fake story. This could all be untrue but it's speculation.
But then, why would he go to hospital in the first place?
I thought he would be terribly injured on his face, but it seems it wasn't the case.
He was taken to hospital by a relative when he stabbed himself.
It is all very strange.
Besides, it was his relative who informed the Police - according to the Sun article.
They might have feared for his sanity.
But these are only speculations.

But then, why would he go to hospital in the first place?
I thought he would be terribly injured on his face, but it seems it wasn't the case.
He was taken to hospital by a relative when he stabbed himself.
It is all very strange.
Besides, it was his relative who informed the Police - according to the Sun article.
They might have feared for his sanity.
But these are only speculations.

It's all bizarre, he appears to be a mad man. He left evidence everywhere seemed to walk in front of every CCTV camera in the town. The motive is still unclear. Some suggestions he may have broken up with his partner recently. Possibly fuelled a hatred of women?

In the UK at least I believe they also often assign a "responsible adult" to people of low intellect to make sure they understand the questions. That happens even when the person is a native English speaker or even if they don't have an intellectual disability - just reason to believe the suspect has low IQ. I saw that on 24 Hours in Police Custody and thought it was interesting. Makes sense too because there's less time wasted on claims of not understanding - whether they be genuine or not.

Yes. Appropriate adult.

It's all bizarre, he appears to be a mad man. He left evidence everywhere seemed to walk in front of every CCTV camera in the town. The motive is still unclear. Some suggestions he may have broken up with his partner recently. Possibly fuelled a hatred of women?
If his relationship has been broken recently - Yes, that might have been a trigger!

Last edited:
Lots of comments about the lack of injury to his face. It's hard to tell with a face mask. However he seems to have a bruise on his forehead in this shot.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220119-231258_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220119-231258_Chrome.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 108
Anyone got his social media? I’m sure it can be posted as he’s named and charged. Forgive me and ignore me if i am wrong.

I also expected his face to be a lot more messed up, as it was reported he had "serious facial injuries" but you can see the look of terror in his eyes. I hope the heckling he received plays over and over in his mind and he never gets a minutes peace. I wonder what will unfold he has obviously denied the murder having said "no" when charges were put to him. Now aislings poor family will have to sit in court and relive the whole ordeal.

JPs reported address of Lynally Grove, Mucklagh is outside Tullamore. It seems quite a new and nice residential area.

I wonder was his moutain bike, his primary method of transportation for getting into the town etc?
Residential area with council housing?

Wonder if the hospital stay was for concussion. Did look like quite a bruise on his head in the picture leaving court. Not the wounds I was expecting from being struck with a key (although they could be under his mask I guess.)
Maybe the injuries are at the spot where it would be very uncomfortable to continue sitting/riding a bike ? imo, speculation

From reports it seems hospital staff became suspicious when perp could not explain injuries and reported to garda which is why , I would imagine he was not discharged. Garda would have said keep him put until more dna. Evidence was gathered in interim. Maybe.

I don’t know what bed status is in Ireland but only way to hold people against their will in England is under section or arrest. They will have desperately wanted to question him so would have been very keen to have him medically discharged. Hospitals aren’t detention centres and medics aren’t prison officers. They can’t invent pretend medical reasons to keep someone in, that’s completely illegal, thus I personally only find it plausible five days was necessary for medical treatment.

No doubt when we hear more at a trial if he pleads not guilt, the media will relish giving us the opportunity to know what she did to that animal.

Maybe, as someone upthread suggested, it wasn't (just) his face she injured. She may have wounded him below the belt and LE knew it, based on evidence at the crime scene, thereby alerting hospitals to a very specific injury. That might explain the self-injury that followed.

Just speculation on my part, but it lines up.

My heart breaks for the life lost. What an extraordinary light she was...

JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Littlebit62
Back