GUILTY Ireland - Ashling Murphy, 23, school teacher, beaten to death, Tullamore, County Offaly, 12 Jan 2022 *arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
A team of more than 50 Garda (Irish police) officers have been assigned to the investigation into the murder of a 23-year-old woman in County Offaly.

Ashling Murphy was killed on the banks of the Grand Canal in the Cappincur area of Tullamore at 16:00 local time on Wednesday.

Ms Murphy was a primary school teacher who worked at Durrow National School.

Gardaí said her injuries were "consistent with an assault" and she died at the scene.

A 40-year-old man has been arrested and remains in custody.

"At this stage there is no information that the victim and her killer were known to each other," said Supt Eamonn Curley.

Ashling Murphy: 50-strong team investigating Tullamore murder

Man charged with murder of Ashling Murphy in Tullamore, Co Offaly
Suspect had been in custody at Tullamore Garda station since early Tuesday

Man charged with murder of Ashling Murphy in Tullamore, Co Offaly
Suspect had been in custody at Tullamore Garda station since early Tuesday
Welcome to Ws Irish Char!
Man charged with murder of Ashling Murphy in Tullamore, Co Offaly (irishtimes.com)
''Inspector Kieran Keyes applied to Judge Catherine Staines for a remand in custody in Cloverhill Prison to a sitting of Cloverhill District Court on January 26th.
image.jpg

Jozef Puska (31), is led into Tullamore District Court where he was charged with the murder of Ashling Murphy in Tullamore, Co Offaly. Photograph: Brian Lawless/PA Wire
The accused, wearing a grey hoodie and trousers, was assisted by a Slovakian interpreter in court.

Legal aid was granted when the court was told Mr Puska was on a disability payment. Eoin Lysaght was assigned as his solicitor.

A crowd estimated at 300 people shouted obscenities and jeered as the accused was being led into court and when he was taken away.''

So JP is due in front of Cloverhill District Court this coming Weds, 26 January.

I take it, as it's still early days in the police investigation, that he will just be remanded in custody for a further number of weeks?

So JP is due in front of Cloverhill District Court this coming Weds, 26 January.

I take it, as it's still early days in the police investigation, that he will just be remanded in custody for a further number of weeks?
I don't think he will be given a bail - for his own safety.

As he walked from his office in Tullamore’s main street to the nearby garda station on January 13, the solicitor Donal Farrelly was subjected to abusive comments by members of the public. Farrelly was on his way to visit a client, Radu Floricel, who had been wrongly arrested on suspicion of killing Ashling Murphy the previous day.

Although Floricel was not identified in any initial media reports, WhatsApp messages containing his name and photos — one showed him smoking and holding a pint of Guinness — had been widely circulated. Floricel was released later that day with gardai saying he had been completely eliminated from their inquiries.
Online warriors can save the day — or ruin someone else’s | Ireland | The Sunday Times

I have to say this and other articles I've read are ridiculous. They equate marriage rights, abortion rights and other women's rights with cases like this one - as if Ireland needs to legally grant women the right not to be murdered in public in broad daylight.

No, as I see it the problem is that three hundred people supposedly out for blood form a mob around the courthouse once this perp is identified, and are even chomping at the bit to go after an innocent lookalike who was wrongly identified and yet not a single person helped Ashling when she actually needed it.

There's something wrong with that. I'm not sure exactly what it is, something about internet culture and people becoming adverse to confrontation until they have been assured by influencers (who have taken over the social role of peers) that they're the good guys - even when it should have been obvious that good guys would help a woman being attacked.

Probably the risk in intervening in a violent confrontation alone is too great compared to the relative reward when your hands would probably be too full to take any selfies while you do it to show your followers how heroic you are.

I have to say this and other articles I've read are ridiculous. They equate marriage rights, abortion rights and other women's rights with cases like this one - as if Ireland needs to legally grant women the right not to be murdered in public in broad daylight.

No, as I see it the problem is that three hundred people supposedly out for blood form a mob around the courthouse once this perp is identified, and are even chomping at the bit to go after an innocent lookalike who was wrongly identified and yet not a single person helped Ashling when she actually needed it.

There's something wrong with that. I'm not sure exactly what it is, something about internet culture and people becoming adverse to confrontation until they have been assured by influencers (who have taken over the social role of peers) that they're the good guys - even when it should have been obvious that good guys would help a woman being attacked.

Probably the risk in intervening in a violent confrontation alone is too great compared to the relative reward when your hands would probably be too full to take any selfies while you do it to show your followers how heroic you are.
Impressive reply. I like it…

I'm not sure if you read the whole article or not, but I did not interpret it like that at all.

She's not equating all those issues with feminicide necessarily, but you have to understand that things like abortion restrictions, r*pe, assaults and killings all essentially could be boiled down to the same issue - a lack of consideration for women's free will and in some cases, straight-up hatred. It wasn't that long ago that Ireland had abortion laws that subjected women to what in my opinion is horrendous medical violence - remember that this law changed in 2018.

As per the article, "Both movements were rooted in empathy, and centred the importance of listening to and respecting personal experience. [...] What these movements also did was place the weight of civic engagement on individuals and groups, making everyone take up the responsibility of participating in social change. [...] Now it feels that, on the issue of violence against women, a similar movement could blossom, based on the foundation of our social culture: ‘having the chats’."

What she is trying to say IMO is that there have been examples of social movements and cultural shifts in the recent past, and these could be built on and learnt from in order to address this issue.

As per your comment,
as if Ireland needs to legally grant women the right not to be murdered in public in broad daylight.

Well, it would honestly seem that way, and not only in Ireland. Someone may or may not be held accountable, but that doesn't help much when you're already dead or traumatised. And considering that in 2021 alone, 139 women died at the hands of men in the UK, punishment doesn't seem to be enough of a deterrent.

I agree that bloodthirsty mobs achieve nothing - and personally, in this case, I reckon half of those people were there because a foreigner dared to kill an Irish woman, but I digress - and is nothing more than virtue signalling. People want to feel like they're on the right side. How many of those people shouting in front of the courthouse would report their mate if they found out that he assaulted a woman? In my experience, many (even those who call themselves feminists) would fail to even cut ties with a mate after they found out that their buddy is a creep.

So yeah, we agree on that one. Personal accountability is very important too, and not just when a crime is actively being committed.

Hoping that someone will save the day is, in my opinion, missing the bigger picture. Garden variety abuse and violence happens behind closed doors all the time, with no one to see or stop it. We only know about Ashling because she ended up dead.

At the end of the day, we don't want heroes to save us, we just want these men to stop killing us in the first place.

Not that we know of - everything I read said that he fled when two women who were jogging on the opposite side of the canal saw what was happening and called the police.
I read that he lunged at them with a knife when they approached him.
Are you sure they were on the other side?

I read that he lunged at them with a knife when they approached him.
Are you sure they were on the other side?

hmm I think you may be mixing things up with a different case. Everything I’ve seen said that he fled and they went to call the police - don’t recall a knife being involved at any point (except for his self inflicted injuries)

'Distressed' women ran to nearest house for phone after witnessing fatal attack

Ashling Murphy: Gardaí seek information on mountain bike in murder probe of teacher (23), killed on Tullamore jogging route

hmm I think you may be mixing things up with a different case. Everything I’ve seen said that he fled and they went to call the police - don’t recall a knife being involved at any point (except for his self inflicted injuries)

'Distressed' women ran to nearest house for phone after witnessing fatal attack

Ashling Murphy: Gardaí seek information on mountain bike in murder probe of teacher (23), killed on Tullamore jogging route
Here - scroll down.
But I also read more detailed report.
Ashling Murphy murder: DNA samples from new suspect to be cross-checked

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member