GUILTY Ireland - Ashling Murphy, 23, school teacher, beaten to death, Tullamore, County Offaly, 12 Jan 2022 *arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
It appears at the moment that it is being viewed as a random attack. He did follow another woman on this route. No motive as of yet. Possibly an attempt at a sex attack but brave Ashling fought and he was unable to carry out the attack.
But, did he suddenly, in his 30ies turn into a sex attacker?
Are there any previous victims?
Maybe in the countries he so often changed?

It is just unfathomable that people seem to see girls and think “I can have her” and then kill them to cover up the sex crime.

some people are just wired wrong.

I’m so proud of her for fighting but she shouldn’t have to! Do these attacks ever truly come out of nowhere? I feel like once people check back there is a history of escalating concerns.

certainly being a family man is no defence - I personally feel it’s actually a good mask because they’re not as obvious as some lone wolf

It is just unfathomable that people seem to see girls and think “I can have her” and then kill them to cover up the sex crime.

some people are just wired wrong.

I’m so proud of her for fighting but she shouldn’t have to! Do these attacks ever truly come out of nowhere? I feel like once people check back there is a history of escalating concerns.

certainly being a family man is no defence - I personally feel it’s actually a good mask because they’re not as obvious as some lone wolf
But if he is an experienced sex attacker, why so many clues and traces?
So many witnesses???
I suspect a kind of psychosis.
And then a suicide attempt.

I am not sure. I found this in an academic review of sex attacks in India which reports on the association between mental health and sexual offences:

Most rapists are not mentally disordered.[8] People with schizophrenia or related psychoses may often commit rape or show abnormal sexual behavior which is related either directly to the psychosis[9] or indirectly to disinhibition.[10] Similarly, patients with hypomania and mania become sexually disinhibited leading to such offences. It has been reported that those diagnosed with schizophrenia are four times more likely to have been convicted of a serious sexual offence than those without mental illness.[11] It has been proposed that schizophrenia patients who engage in sexually offensive activities (not just rape) fall into four broad groups: (1) Those with pre-existing paraphilias, (2) whose deviant sexuality arises in the context of illness and/or its treatment, (3) whose deviant sexuality is one manifestation of a more generalized antisocial behaviour, and (4) other factors such as dementia, head injury, or substance misuse.[11] In terms of incidence, Langstrom et al.,[4] carried out the most extensive study in which they retrospectively analyzed psychiatric diagnoses in an in-patient Swedish sample of 535 rape offenders discharged from Swedish prisons. The most prevalent diagnoses were alchohol abuse or dependence (9.3%), drug abuse (3.9%), personality disorder (2.6%), and psychosis (1.7%).

If other media reports suggest people are surprised by this violence I feel it is unlikely that he had a mental health condition equally I’m sure we will find out more.

link to academic review below

Mental health assessment of rape offenders

I am not sure. I found this in an academic review of sex attacks in India which reports on the association between mental health and sexual offences:

Most rapists are not mentally disordered.[8] People with schizophrenia or related psychoses may often commit rape or show abnormal sexual behavior which is related either directly to the psychosis[9] or indirectly to disinhibition.[10] Similarly, patients with hypomania and mania become sexually disinhibited leading to such offences. It has been reported that those diagnosed with schizophrenia are four times more likely to have been convicted of a serious sexual offence than those without mental illness.[11] It has been proposed that schizophrenia patients who engage in sexually offensive activities (not just rape) fall into four broad groups: (1) Those with pre-existing paraphilias, (2) whose deviant sexuality arises in the context of illness and/or its treatment, (3) whose deviant sexuality is one manifestation of a more generalized antisocial behaviour, and (4) other factors such as dementia, head injury, or substance misuse.[11] In terms of incidence, Langstrom et al.,[4] carried out the most extensive study in which they retrospectively analyzed psychiatric diagnoses in an in-patient Swedish sample of 535 rape offenders discharged from Swedish prisons. The most prevalent diagnoses were alchohol abuse or dependence (9.3%), drug abuse (3.9%), personality disorder (2.6%), and psychosis (1.7%).

If other media reports suggest people are surprised by this violence I feel it is unlikely that he had a mental health condition equally I’m sure we will find out more.

link to academic review below

Mental health assessment of rape offenders
Thanks!
They were just my musings :)
Im not an expert.
Well, we will soon know the details I guess.

Attachments

• 5E61BDED-F936-40D4-9158-8224B0E14F10.jpeg
    5E61BDED-F936-40D4-9158-8224B0E14F10.jpeg
    57.8 KB · Views: 26
Nobody knows his history he seemed to move around a lot of countries. Someone capable of this is very likely to have engaged in weird behaviour in the past. I would very much doubt that he was "normal" and suddenly just decided to attack a woman last Wednesday.
But, did he suddenly, in his 30ies turn into a sex attacker?
Are there any previous victims?
Maybe in the countries he so often changed?

Nobody knows his history he seemed to move around a lot of countries. Someone capable of this is very likely to have engaged in weird behaviour in the past. I would very much doubt that he was "normal" and suddenly just decided to attack a woman last Wednesday.
I am also starting to wonder if it even was random…He has 5 children so possibly Ashling could have taught them and be known to him. If so, maybe he had some grievance with her or even a past rejection. Yes he stalked the canal in the hours before but he could have been looking for Ashling (if he knew that she ran there) and practicing or preparing …*shudder*

It's impossible to know. Gardai have moved his family to a safe house. Gardai according to media reports are still insisting it was a random attack. The search for a weapon is ongoing in the canal and a bottle bank close to the scene has been sealed off.

Time is flying!
Why hasnt he been charged yet?
I thought the evidence was overwhelming.
Do they still wait for DNA report?
Wondering this too…I’m not sure of the process but maybe it’s better to wait until the last moment to charge so that they can get the most out of interviews. Paul Reynolds also said the superintendent had approved a 6 hr extension to the 24hr detention period yesterday. Although then he still said he could only be held for 24 hours so it was a bit confusing…
Another possibility is they have charged him and just not released to the media yet. Will they release his name once charged?

Wondering this too…I’m not sure of the process but maybe it’s better to wait until the last moment to charge so that they can get the most out of interviews. Paul Reynolds also said the superintendent had approved a 6 hr extension to the 24hr detention period yesterday. Although then he still said he could only be held for 24 hours so it was a bit confusing…
Another possibility is they have charged him and just not released to the media yet. Will they release his name once charged?
They are still looking for the weapon - a knife/screwdriver???
Maybe then it will be a turning point.

Do these attacks ever truly come out of nowhere?
Well, yes. In some small fraction of cases someone with neither a suggestive criminal nor psychological history attacks "randomly" or without what could objectively have been considered a warning. However the vast majority of violent crime comes with lots of warning from people who are well known (by someone at least) to have exhibited escalating patterns of behavior. They say "it's always the person you least suspect" but in reality it is (99.9% of the time) the person you most suspect

Time is flying!
Why hasnt he been charged yet?
I thought the evidence was overwhelming.
Do they still wait for DNA report?
I get the impression that there is some medical/legal reason they can't move forward at this time but it seems like they have so much already that this time will only allow them to double and triple check the airtightness of their case.

I am also starting to wonder if it even was random…He has 5 children so possibly Ashling could have taught them and be known to him. If so, maybe he had some grievance with her or even a past rejection. Yes he stalked the canal in the hours before but he could have been looking for Ashling (if he knew that she ran there) and practicing or preparing …*shudder*

Five children? I thought it was three, not that it makes any difference to the case. The tabloids refer to him as 'dad-of-three' in a horribly cosy way.

Five children? I thought it was three, not that it makes any difference to the case. The tabloids refer to him as 'dad-of-three' in a horribly cosy way.
Initial reports said 3 but latest reports say 5. It was 5 per Paul Reynolds on the news last night anyways.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Artem1
Back