GUILTY Ireland - Ashling Murphy, 23, school teacher, beaten to death, Tullamore, County Offaly, 12 Jan 2022 *arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
If he does indeed have a home in the area, and also children..makes me wonder if his children went to the school where Ashling was a teacher, or if they knew her. I believe I read where she subbed there previously and then secured a full time job for this school year.
It is very probable.
It might be even something personal.

If he does indeed have a home in the area, and also children..makes me wonder if his children went to the school where Ashling was a teacher, or if they knew her. I believe I read where she subbed there previously and then secured a full time job for this school year.

I really hope they did not attend Ashling's school. It would be heartbreaking for his children knowing their father murdered such a beloved teacher.

Last edited:
The London Times has been reporting since Sunday that the man is a Slovakian national. An extract from their report this afternoon (behind a paywall):

'Detectives arrested the suspect minutes after he was discharged from a Dublin hospital where he had been receiving medical treatment for injuries consistent with an attempted suicide. The suspect, a father of three who moves between Tullamore and Dublin, had presented himself at the hospital’s accident and emergency department last Thursday evening with injuries to his hands and face. Gardai were alerted as he could not explain how he sustained his injuries.

The arrest followed an analysis of his DNA, which gardai obtained last week when they seized his clothes and medical waste at the hospital using a warrant. The sample was compared against samples left at the scene by the killer. Gardai also collected fingerprints and DNA found on a Falcon Storm mountain bike at the scene.

Gardai had also taken multiple statements from witnesses who identified the suspect as the owner of the bicycle, which had distinctive bright green forks. Several witnesses came forward after gardai released images of the bike as part of a public appeal.

Officers had been tracing the suspect’s movements. Properties in Tullamore and south Dublin were searched last Friday while vehicles and mobile phones were seized. Inquiries had established the man now in custody was present in the Tullamore area on the day of the murder. He was filmed on CCTV cycling a Falcon Storm.

Gardai are continuing to search for a weapon, possibly a knife or a screwdriver, which they believe was used in the attack. Searches continue at the Grand Canal, its hinterland and bottle banks in Tullamore.'

Reports say the hospital informed them after the police asked hospitals to look out for anyone presenting with injuries that they couldn't really account for. He had also raised suspicion by telling hospital staff he lived in County Offaly.
Yes, I understand :)
But in the link I sent above it was written, a relative brought a suspect to the hospital and then called the Police.

I'm wondering will this case now take on a new slant with members of the public? With the focus being on immigration in Ireland.

A 'known to the police' (petty criminal) Romanian man originally arrested, and now a Slovakian national being the 'new man of interest'.

Last edited:
I'm wondering will this case now take on a new slant with members of the public? With the focus being on immigration in Ireland.

A 'known to the police' (petty criminal) Romanian man originally arrested, and now a Slovakian national being the 'new man of interest'.

It seems it has already been exploited, before the latest arrest, with allegations that a Syrian was under suspicion:
Extremists rush to exploit murder of Ashling Murphy

It seems it has already been exploited, before the latest arrest, with allegations that a Syrian was under suspicion:
Extremists rush to exploit murder of Ashling Murphy

Thank you very much for that Moll.

Looks like there may be a danger too now, of misinformation from people pushing their own agendas.

Though I don't think there's anything wrong with a healthy wider debate, if this murder commited in Ireland was found to be carried out by an immigrant.

RTÉ Player

I'm not sure if above link will work in other countries. It is a programme was broadcast on RTE on Monday evening.

Just after 10.00 there is an very interesting discusion with Pat Leahey (ex Asst Garda Commissioner) on the police investigations so far ....

Following published in the Times yesterday

Gardai are planning their interrogation of the prime suspect in the murder of Ashling Murphy as a bottle bank was removed for analysis and the description of a man was released in an appeal for information.

The 23-year-old primary school teacher was killed while jogging along the Grand Canal in Tullamore last week. Ashling sustained injuries indicating a weapon may have been used. Gardai suspect the attacker possibly used a knife or screwdriver.

A bottle bank in a carpark near the crime scene was removed for garda analysis yesterday. It is understood gardai believe a piece of evidence may have been discarded into the container. Eight bottle banks were initially sealed off on Sunday night. The garda water unit continued to search for a weapon near the canal yesterday.

Gardai prepare to question key suspect in Ashling Murphy killing | Ireland | The Times

Suggestions the man is Well known to the accused. The man in custody is not a relative. He is well known to the suspect and is suspected of driving him from Tullamore to his relatives house in Dublin. Media also reporting the suspect was up and down the walkway where Ashling was killed for a number of hours before the attack.

RTÉ Player

I'm not sure if above link will work in other countries. It is a programme was broadcast on RTE on Monday evening.

Just after 10.00 there is an very interesting discusion with Pat Leahey (ex Asst Garda Commissioner) on the police investigations so far ....

Thanks - the link works where I am, in England. Mr Leahy understandably concentrates on the procedures the police are following, not the actual details of the case,and at the time of the programme, they had stated the suspect was in hospital but he had not yet been arrested. The warning about false information on social media is given considerable emphasis.

Suggestions the man is Well known to the accused. The man in custody is not a relative. He is well known to the suspect and is suspected of driving him from Tullamore to his relatives house in Dublin. Media also reporting the suspect was up and down the walkway where Ashling was killed for a number of hours before the attack.
A criminal duo?

Was the perp waiting for Ashling?
What was the motive?
The attack seems absolutely not thought over.

Agree. My own personal feeling is if he was known to her, she has rejected an advance. I feel this then makes people very angry - strangling is such an intimate thing to do to someone and not fast. She was also a beautiful girl. Was he lying in wait for her? That’s awful.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NellyKim
Back