Is there anyone that believes Ross is innocent?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just read they estimated it to be 120*
Many of us have speculated on this thread about decomposition and rate the body would start smelling strongly, etc. We haven'e heard from anyone at this point that actually has any background info that can advance us from speculation to past facts from other hot car accidents. If this type thing happens approx 37 times annually and we know the estimated temperature inside the car and child's body weight, etc I feel sure the jury will hear substantiated facts on smell that they can trust. I look forward to hearing these facts.

Many of us have speculated on this thread about decomposition and rate the body would start smelling strongly, etc. We haven'e heard from anyone at this point that actually has any background info that can advance us from speculation to past facts from other hot car accidents. If this type thing happens approx 37 times annually and we know the estimated temperature inside the car and child's body weight, etc I feel sure the jury will hear substantiated facts on smell that they can trust. I look forward to hearing these facts.

Sorry if this is a repeat question. Will the trial be televised? TIA

I'm interested in hearing the facts too. I don't think there would be a decomp smell, but I definitely think there will be SOME kind of smell.

I also want them to prove that JH didn't have a sense of smell, and didn't have hearing in his right ear too.

I'm interested in hearing the facts too. I don't think there would be a decomp smell, but I definitely think there will be SOME kind of smell.

I also want them to prove that JH didn't have a sense of smell, and didn't have hearing in his right ear too.
If I were the prosecution, I'd make him get his hearing tested.

I am currently in mortuary school. I have completed my funeral directing and I only have 1 clinical left to go and I have embalmed a number of bodies. "fresh" corpses, i.e., we picked them up a few minutes after death and brought them to the embalming lab - they have a smell. I can't describe it other than it is the smell of death. Whenever I have encountered bodies that have been on ice for a few days, the smell is the same but stronger. The abdomen begins turning green and the decomp smell is strong. Of course the worse the condition of the body, the more intense the odor gets. Many things play into this as we know such as weather, cause of death, number of days deceased, etc.

I guess what I am getting at is that this child was essentially cooked. So like you say, I don't think it would have been a strong smell of decomp, but more of the smell when we have cremated someone. He's not exactly like a burn victim (completely different smell) yet not quite regular decomp, as he was roasted alive basically. I would think towards the end of the day, once he had passed, decomp was definitely occuring just not like with a regular death situation. Therefore, IMO, it was a combination of decomp (rottish smelling) combined with a burned flesh smell.

I hope this makes sense I am so tired but I'm trying to describe smells in words.

That's what I'm wondering, too. I've followed this from the day it happened and I recall multiple witnesses initially talking about the smell. I do not recall them saying decomp smell specifically (maybe some did, maybe some didn't--that wasn't what stuck for me), they just described an awful smell. Any "tissue" left in that kind of heat is going to smell, imo. I'm sure both sides will produce experts that contradict each other on whether there was any smell, but I would think there'd be a noticeable smell of some kind after a baby has been baked in a car for seven hours.

And let's not forget that he MUST also have short term memory loss. :facepalm:

I do get torn on this because I have read an article (it's linked somewhere in this forum) where a woman actually drove to her daycare with her dead daughter still strapped into the carseat. It didn't mention if there was a smell.

I think there has to be SOMETHING. My son was the same age as Cooper. When he would sweat, just from sleeping with a heavy blanket on, I could smell the sweat. I know some people have different sweat, but I could smell it as soon as I walked into his bedroom if he was in there sleeping. I think you would have to smell something, especially if the babies head was only a few inches from your face.

I do get torn on this because I have read an article (it's linked somewhere in this forum) where a woman actually drove to her daycare with her dead daughter still strapped into the carseat. It didn't mention if there was a smell.

I think there has to be SOMETHING. My son was the same age as Cooper. When he would sweat, just from sleeping with a heavy blanket on, I could smell the sweat. I know some people have different sweat, but I could smell it as soon as I walked into his bedroom if he was in there sleeping. I think you would have to smell something, especially if the babies head was only a few inches from your face.

Agreed. And that something was STRONG, IMO.

I'm anxious to see what comes out at the trial. I'm curious to know if his diaper was soiled (IMO I would think it was) or if he suffered injuries just by the car seat being too small.

The carseat bothers me A LOT. I don't see how anyone could get a 22 month toddler into an infant seat. When our son outgrew his infant seat, towards the end it was like we weren't even tightening the straps or anything because he was obviously too big for it.

I'm anxious to see what comes out at the trial. I'm curious to know if his diaper was soiled (IMO I would think it was) or if he suffered injuries just by the car seat being too small.

The carseat bothers me A LOT. I don't see how anyone could get a 22 month toddler into an infant seat. When our son outgrew his infant seat, towards the end it was like we weren't even tightening the straps or anything because he was obviously too big for it.

When you die, you automatically void your bowels and bladder, and little kids need their diapers changed frequently anyhow, so I think it's safe to assume that those odors would be present too.

I'm super curious about the autopsy report. My brother is a certified car seat installer/inspector. He's the ONLY person I trust to install my son's car seat. Even though it looks easy and it's easy to watch a youtube video, it is actually very involved....
He told me that putting a 22 month old in an infant seat on the lowest (newborn) setting would probably be a task. Little Cooper was strapped in there SO TIGHT I think he would have expressed signs of pain etc. because of the straps, even if they weren't tightened down.

I am currently in mortuary school. I have completed my funeral directing and I only have 1 clinical left to go and I have embalmed a number of bodies. "fresh" corpses, i.e., we picked them up a few minutes after death and brought them to the embalming lab - they have a smell. I can't describe it other than it is the smell of death. Whenever I have encountered bodies that have been on ice for a few days, the smell is the same but stronger. The abdomen begins turning green and the decomp smell is strong. Of course the worse the condition of the body, the more intense the odor gets. Many things play into this as we know such as weather, cause of death, number of days deceased, etc.

I guess what I am getting at is that this child was essentially cooked. So like you say, I don't think it would have been a strong smell of decomp, but more of the smell when we have cremated someone. He's not exactly like a burn victim (completely different smell) yet not quite regular decomp, as he was roasted alive basically. I would think towards the end of the day, once he had passed, decomp was definitely occuring just not like with a regular death situation. Therefore, IMO, it was a combination of decomp (rottish smelling) combined with a burned flesh smell.

I hope this makes sense I am so tired but I'm trying to describe smells in words.

Thank you for your prospective. I'm a little late to this case (almost 2 years [emoji53]) so I'm trying to take it all in vs posting much. Just wanted to say I appreciate and, as well as I can, understand, your explanation.

When you die, you automatically void your bowels and bladder, and little kids need their diapers changed frequently anyhow, so I think it's safe to assume that those odors would be present too.
I have read a couple of times on this thread but would have no idea where to locate the info but it has been reported that the diaper had urine only.

I have read a couple of times on this thread but would have no idea where to locate the info but it has been reported that the diaper had urine only.

I know for sure one source of this info is the AJC Breakdown podcast, but I'm not sure if his source was the autopsy report or from some of the evidence hearings that have happened.

Really? Considering the kid ate at Chick-Fil-A??

I'm copying this from the CAR SEAT discussion thread. It was posted by "Spice" on 7/10/14 - it's post # 81 on that thread.

Hot car death: Stages of decomposition (From Medical Expert)

Medical Expert states that he disagrees with the defense attorney on NG last night that stated that there would be no smell in the car until RH MOVED cooper out of the seat. RH would have smelled the decomposition in the car when he was driving it and disagrees that it would have just smelled of human feces.

He further states that everything you know about decomposition gets thrown out in this case due to the fact that Cooper was decomposing in an OVEN which speeds it up and changes everything. He states that in the early stages GASSES are released and they are volatile. They smell. Especially in the heat.

We learned this in Caylee's case. In the first stage of decomposition, Human's begin to immediately leak gasses upon death ( believe through the nose and mouth) and those gasses release an odor. That is the first stage of decomposition. In enclosed hot spaces it is all sped up.

Yes, more gasses would have been released when RH moved cooper ON TOP of the smell that was definitely already there. It's not only science, it's common sense.

And if RH had no sense of smell...his attorney would have been standing on the table screaming about it at that hearing as he fought for his client and tried to get the charges thrown out.

http://www.hlntv.com/video/2014/07/1...smell-evidence
Last edited by Spice; 07-10-2014 at 01:22 PM.

I'm not sure why this post was on the car seat thread but since it's relevant to the discussion about decomposition smells I thought I'd bring it over to this thread.

I'm copying this from the CAR SEAT discussion thread. It was posted by "Spice" on 7/10/14 - it's post # 81 on that thread.

I'm not sure why this post was on the car seat thread but since it's relevant to the discussion about decomposition smells I thought I'd bring it over to this thread.

I very strongly disagree with the information in that post. The temp and environment in this case is not unique to the temp and environment in many other hot car death cases. The fact that Ross Harris has been accused and charged with murder doesn't make the rate of decomposition any different. The defendant in this case was expected to smell a strong odor of decomposition. Yet, other parents in the same circumstances have not been alerted by a strong odor. Check out what other experts say about the smell. Direct link to Episode 2

IMO

I've only just really started following this case properly and listening to the podcast and I have to say I'm really disturbed by the states actions. Why is it acceptable for the prosecution to exaggerate and inflame in order to put forth the most severe charges possible? I actually think this was an accident and if Ross was to be charged it should only be negligence. The fact he is a creep seems irrelevant. Pretty scary when your own government is as hysterical as Nancy Grace.

I've only just really started following this case properly and listening to the podcast and I have to say I'm really disturbed by the states actions. Why is it acceptable for the prosecution to exaggerate and inflame in order to put forth the most severe charges possible? I actually think this was an accident and if Ross was to be charged it should only be negligence. The fact he is a creep seems irrelevant. Pretty scary when your own government is as hysterical as Nancy Grace.

Research this case more and you will see it is one of those carefully disguised murders- made to look like an accident, so it will engender public sympathy. He didn't want to be a father, he researched "child-free" life, didn't love his wife, was sexting with younger girls, and there was life-insurance payout as well. He had plenty of motive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member