Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Egypt warned Israel days before Hamas struck, US committee chairman says​

Israel was warned by Egypt of potential violence three days before Hamas' deadly cross-border raid, a US congressional panel chairman has said.

House of Representatives Foreign Affairs Committee head Michael McCaul told reporters of the alleged warning.

Israeli PM Benjamin Netanyahu described the reports as "absolutely false".

Israeli intelligence services are under scrutiny for their failure to prevent the deadliest attack by Palestinian militants in Israel's 75-year history.

"We know that Egypt has warned the Israelis three days prior that an event like this could happen," Mr McCaul told reporters following a closed-door intelligence briefing on Wednesday for lawmakers about the Middle East crisis, according to AFP news agency.

"I don't want to get too much into classified, but a warning was given," the Texas Republican added. "I think the question was at what level."

[…]

I agree. I rely on WS for news on many news stories, including this one. I know I'll find compassionate people who want accuracy. Let's pause in this chaos of war and be glad for small things, like this place to gather.

jmo

I agree. WS is a source of good quality discussion and notices for me on this situation. Social media is just a foul mess right now.

BBC News is reporting that Turkish President Erdogan is discussing hostage releases with HAMAS. Who knows how far this will go, but Erdogan does have the capacity to contact them as he has been familiar to them since at least 2010.

UK​

England’s Jewish schools heighten security as antisemitic incidents quadruple​

[…]

Jewish schools across England are taking extra precautions to protect their staff and students after the attack on Israel, as the body that provides security advice to Jewish communities in the UK said it had recorded 89 antisemitic incidents between Saturday and Tuesday.

Extra security patrols have been posted at school gates, and trips and after-school detentions have been cancelled.

Several schools said they had carried out “invacuation” drills, where pupils practise sheltering in safe areas or reinforced rooms in the event of a threat. Pupils have been told to avoid wearing identifying school uniform on public transport.

The Community Security Trust reported that the number of antisemitic incidents in the four days from Saturday morning had increased by 324% compared with the same period last year.

“This is a provisional total that is almost certain to increase further as we receive more delayed reports of incidents covering this period, and while we continue to verify and log all the reports that we have currently received,” the CST said.

[…]

“In many cases, the perpetrators of these disgraceful incidents are using the symbols and language of pro-Palestinian politics as rhetorical weapons with which to threaten and abuse Jewish people.”

The 89 incidents included six assaults, three cases of damage to Jewish property, 14 direct threats and 66 cases of abusive behaviour, including verbal abuse, graffiti, hate mail and online abuse.

[…]

Most of the incidents took place in London and Greater Manchester.

[…]

John Dalziel, the headteacher of King David high school in Manchester, said there was a drop in attendance on Monday as parents kept their children at home but numbers had since risen.

“We have 800 Jewish students at this school and almost all of them have family and relatives there who have been affected directly or indirectly,” Dalziel said. “Our main priority is that our school is a place of safety where normal life is continuing away from the 24-hour news cycle.”

Dalziel said Greater Manchester police and the CST had increased their patrols around the school, while trained parent volunteers had been in place, especially at the start and end of the day, to reassure parents.

[…]

Pupils have been told they can take off blazers and ties while travelling on public transport, as have students attending JFS in north London, Europe’s largest Jewish school, which has about 2,000 pupils.

[…]

Broughton Jewish Cassel Fox primary school in Salford is among those that have cancelled school trips and put extra security in place during the school day.

Suella Braverman has urged chief constables to clamp down on any attempts to use flags, songs or swastikas to harass or intimidate members of the Jewish community. Chanting and the waving of a Palestinian flag could be offences, the home secretary said.

[…]

All from past hour today.​

Israel-Hamas war: Level of depravity not seen since ISIS, says Blinken​

Israel-Hamas war: Militant group release training video​

Israel-Hamas war: How might Israel carry out a ground assault in Gaza?​

Turkey's Erdogan condemns Israeli airstrikes in Gaza: "Not a war, it is a massacre"​

31m ago

Egypt has discussed plans with the United States and others to provide humanitarian aid through its border with the Gaza Strip but rejects any move to set up safe corridors for refugees fleeing the enclave, Egyptian security sources said on Wednesday, Reuters reports.

Gaza, the tiny coastal strip of land wedged between Israel in the north and east and Egypt to the southwest, is home to some 2.3 million people who have been living under a blockade since Palestinian Islamist group Hamas took control there in 2007.

Egypt has long restricted the flow of Gazans on to its territory, even during the fiercest conflicts. Cairo, a frequent mediator between Israel and the Palestinians, always insists the two sides resolve conflicts within their borders, saying this is the only way Palestinians can secure their right to statehood.

United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres said on Wednesday that crucial life-saving supplies, including fuel, food and water, must be allowed into Gaza.

Guterres thanked Egypt:

The US had been holding consultations with Israel and Egypt about the idea of a safe passage for civilians from Gaza.

Egypt absolutely does NOT want these refugees and who could blame them?

Gaza hospitals have a few days' fuel left for generators - MSF doctor​

Let's turn our attention back to the situation on the ground and hear from Dr Justin Dalby who has been working in Gaza for six months with the humanitarian charity Médecins Sans Frontières.

He tells the BBC there is "constant violence" and "destruction continues everywhere... day or night".

He says hospitals are overwhelmed: "Significantly more patients are coming in... the number of injured is just absolutely immense. There's huge numbers of patients - children, women, men - everywhere."

Medical teams are working under the sound of bombardment "which is often extremely close", he says.

Dalby says supplies are a "huge issue" as hospitals were already "chronically under-resourced" and access is urgently needed for medical supplies and personnel.

But he says the most urgent need is fuel. As we've been reporting, Gaza's only power plant shut down earlier today as fuel ran out - after Israel cut off electricity, fuel, food, goods and water supplies to the territory in response to the Hamas attack on Saturday that left 1,200 people dead in Israel.

Many of Gaza's hospitals rely on diesel to run their generators, and many "have only a few days left", Dalby says.

"If you are taking out the electricity supply of a hospital it means that lights go off, monitoring equipment, oxygen delivery, mechanical ventilators, operating theatres and surgical equipment that requires electricity will no longer be able to function," he adds.

Turkey's Erdogan condemns Israeli airstrikes in Gaza: "Not a war, it is a massacre"​

Snipped for focus.
Turkey doesn't have the right to tell Israel not to retaliate, if this is what they're saying, imo.

Hamas is to blame for the civilian death tolls.
If they have been advising people to stay within their homes when there are tunnels to access, it's cruel and will result in more casualties.

This is a war, and it's also a fight for Israel's very existence.

Had this happened to Turkey, I'm certain they'd react ?
Omo.

If they are refugees and innocent people, for humanitarian reasons, they should take them, but I've heard that they can never return to Israel once they have left, so Egypt is stuck with them for life.
Aren't these refugees coming from Gaza, aka Palestinians ?
And not Israeli's ?
That was what I understood from the link in your quote.
Omo.

d
There's a chance those funds were used for Saturdays' attack, correct ?

The U.S. State Department said that none of the funds had been withdrawn from Qatar banks yet. A number of congressional leaders are calling for the Biden administration to re-freeze the funds given the state-sponsored terrorism by Iran at this time (Iran sponsoring Hamas). I hope that happens.

There's a chance those funds were used for Saturdays' attack, correct ?
There SHOULDN'T be a chance. The funds were put in the hands of Qatar to be drawn on by Iran for humanitarian purposes. Qatar has indicated no funds have been drawn as yet. However, it should be pointed out that Qatar is a supporter of Hamas. Which also begs the question, why on Earth was Qatar used to hold these funds.

And not Israeli's ?
Omo.

There are Israeli citizens who are Palestinian Christians, Palestinian Muslims, Bedouins, and other non- Jewish people. I suppose they might have reasons to want to exit from the war zones of Israel and/or Gaza-West Bank, but not many.

I understand the term refugees is currently being used as people living in Gaza, whether they are Palestinian, foreign NGO workers, or other nationals.

And not Israeli's ?
Omo.
Yes, Palestinians.
There are 2 million Palestinians.
Many are children.

Just because they are Palestinian does not mean they are part of Hamas.
Are you implying they should all go without food and water if they are of certain ethnic group?

There are Israeli citizens who are Palestinian Christians, Palestinian Muslims, Bedouins, and other non- Jewish people. I suppose they might have reasons to want to exit from the war zones of Israel and/or Gaza-West Bank, but not many.

I understand the term refugees is currently being used as people living in Gaza, whether they are Palestinian, foreign NGO workers, or other nationals.
Oh, ok.
Thanks for clarifying this !

Sorry I need to brush up a lot on my understanding of international terminology. :(
I loved history as a student in HS, and took extra semesters in world history to earn credits in uni., although that wasn't my major -- and also because I'm interested in the subject.
it somewhat depends on whom is writing it, though.
Omo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member