Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
5m ago
ABC news has spoken to a teenager who survived the siege by Hamas because his parents shielded him with their bodies. Both of his parents died.

The family lived on a kibbutz in southern Israel near the Gaza border. As the fighters invaded their home, they scrambled into a tiny room meant to protect them from rocket attacks. Then Debbie Mathias yelled at her son, Rotem, to get down. Then she was shot dead; the bullet traveled through her and hit him in the stomach.

Rotem Mathias, 16, stayed underneath his mother and played dead for about 30 minutes before running for shelter under a bed and eventually hiding under a blanket in adjacent laundry room, relatives told The Associated Press. Twice, Rotem Mathias managed to elude the fighters — some of them laughing — before he was rescued by Israeli soldiers.

This image provided by Eran Shani shows Shlomi Mathias playing the guitar as his wife, Debbie ‘Shahar’ Mathias, laughs and sings next to him at her 50th birthday party on 1 October 2023, in Lehavim, Israel. They both died days later while protecting their 16-year-old son, Rotem Mathias, from Hamas fighters who attacked their kibbutz in Israel near the border with Gaza on 7 October 2023.

This image provided by Eran Shani shows Shlomi Mathias playing the guitar as his wife, Debbie ‘Shahar’ Mathias, laughs and sings next to him at her 50th birthday party on 1 October 2023, in Lehavim, Israel. They both died days later while protecting their 16-year-old son, Rotem Mathias, from Hamas fighters who attacked their kibbutz in Israel near the border with Gaza on 7 October 2023. Photograph: AP

“The last thing my dad said is he lost his arm. Then my mom died on top of me,” Rotem Mathias told ABC News in an interview from the hospital where he was being treated for gunshot and shrapnel wounds. He was released Tuesday.

“I just stopped my breathing. I lowered it down as much as I possibly could. I didn’t move and was terrified,” he said. “I didn’t make any noise. I prayed for any god. I didn’t really care which god. I just prayed for a god that they won’t find me.”

“Before I went to my house, Mom said, ’Bye. Have fun tomorrow,’” Shir Mathias said. “I was like, ‘Thank you, I love you.’ I gave her a hug and gave my dad a hug.” Hours later, they were gone.

18m ago

Far-right protesters riot outside hospital in Tel Aviv​

AP: Meanwhile more than a hundred far-right protesters rioted outside one of the main hospitals in Tel Aviv on Wednesday night after hearing reports that doctors there were treating a militant from Hamas, according to Hagai Levine, Chairman of the Israeli Association of Public Health Physicians.

Protesters from La Familia — a group of notoriously racist Jerusalem fans of the “Beitar” soccer team — blocked the main entrance to the emergency room for three hours, according to videos circulated by doctors on the platform X, formerly known as Twitter. The ultranationalist soccer fans clashed violently with police and disrupted the passage of emergency crews into the hospital.

Hundreds of Israelis lineup to donate blood at the Ichilov hospital in Tel Aviv following a Hamas militants invasion to Israeli settlements around the Gaza strip. Gaza attack on Israel in Tel Aviv 7 Oct 2023.

Hundreds of Israelis lineup to donate blood at the Ichilov hospital in Tel Aviv following a Hamas militants invasion to Israeli settlements around the Gaza strip. Gaza attack on Israel in Tel Aviv 7 Oct 2023. Photograph: Matan Golan/SOPA Images/Shutterstock

At the time of the riot, Sheba hospital was not treating any militants from Hamas, Levine said. It’s unclear if militants have been treated in Israel’s public hospitals since the Hamas rampage on Saturday.

The protest came on the heels of a letter circulated Wednesday by Israeli health minister Moshe Arbel that barred Israel’s public hospitals from treating militants. Arbel wrote that injured militants should be referred to the Israeli military or Israel’s intelligence services.

'If something happens to me, know that I love you'​

Frankie McCamley and James Bryant

More than 260 bodies have been reportedly recovered from the site of the Supernova music festival, but some people are still waiting for news of their loved ones.
Meitav Journo told the BBC that she spoke to her 24-year-old sister Karin in the minutes following the start of the attack. She said her sister was forced to hide because she had broken her leg prior to attending the festival.

“She told us - I love you. If something happens to me, know that I love you… She explained to us that there were a lot of bombs and shooting everywhere. You could hear the yelling, the crying and the shooting above their heads. And see she said that they were laying on the ground with another friend of hers saying she doesn’t know what to do.”

It is unclear whether Karin was taken by militants. Many families still don’t know what has happened to their loved ones and are desperate for any information.

Hostilities in the Gaza Strip and Israel | Flash Update #5​

11 Oct 2023

1697071277269.jpeg

Your link is about Rabin’s assassination, which I well remember.

It says nothing about your claim that Christians don’t feel welcome in Israel. Where do you get this from? Evangelical Christians are tremendous supporters of Israel and are always arranging trips there for their people.

There are still kibbutzes in Israel, in fact most of the civilians killed at home were in several kibbutzes near the Gaza border.

It’s not just a hippie 70s thing, it’s a common type of community.

Spitting arrests​

Meanwhile, Israeli police on Wednesday arrested five people suspected of spitting towards Christians or churches in the Old City of Jerusalem and formed a special investigative team to deal with growing complaints of hostile gestures against Christians.

“Unfortunately, we witness the continued disgraceful acts of hatred towards Christians in the Old City of Jerusalem, primarily through spitting by extremists,” said Jerusalem District Commander Doron Turgeman on Wednesday.

No details were provided on the identities of the people arrested.
Members of the area’s small Christian community have said they have faced growing harassment and intimidation from Jewish ultranationalists,

Wednesday’s arrests came as the city prepared for its annual Jerusalem March, an event that usually draws huge crowds, including thousands of Christian pilgrims.

The spitting scene shows a group of foreign pilgrims beginning their procession through the limestone labyrinth of the Old City in occupied East Jerusalem, home to the holiest ground in Judaism, the third-holiest shrine in Islam and major Christian sites.

Raising a giant wooden cross, the men and women retraced the Old City route that they believe Jesus Christ took before his crucifixion. Along the way, ultra-Orthodox Jews in dark suits and broad-brimmed black hats squeezed past the pilgrims through narrow alleyways, their ritual palm fronds for the weeklong Jewish holiday of Sukkot in hand.

As they streamed by, at least seven ultra-Orthodox Jews spat on the ground beside the Christian tour group.

The incident, which the city’s minority Christian community lamented as the latest in an alarming surge of religiously motivated attacks, drew rare outrage from Netanyahu and other senior officials on Tuesday.

_______

Additionally, Christians are moving out due to Israeli harrassment.

It says nothing about your claim that Christians don’t feel welcome in Israel. Where do you get this from? Evangelical Christians are tremendous supporters of Israel and are always arranging trips there for their people.
Its probably based on incidents like these. Evangelicals tend to have less runs in with Jewish extremists than Catholics and Orthodox as very few live in Israel- and even fewer live in Jerusalem.

The fact that Jewish bullies and extremists exist is not news. Every religion and every ethnicity has their share of bullies. Jewish people are no more, and no less likely to bully or harass other people than any other group on the planet

But.... what is news is that until very recently, the Netanyahu government was sanctioning these attacks via "juice em up" speeches and allowing senior government officials to attend settler events etc.

2m ago

51 killed 281 injured in Israeli air raids on Gaza, says Palestinian Health Ministry​

51 people have died and 281 have been injured in Israeli air strikes on Gaza in the last hour, Al Jazeera reports, citing the Palestinian Health Ministry.

“The ministry said the strikes hit Sabra, Al Zaytoun, Al Nafaq and Tal Al Hawa. A separate report said Gaza’s Khan Younis was also hit by air strikes. Search and rescue operations are reportedly under way,” Al Jazeera reports.

Fate of US hostages on agenda as Blinken flies to Israel​

Barbara Plett Usher
US State Department correspondent

The Secretary of State is will land in Israel in a few hours.

He is not going there to mediate an end to the conflict: he has not called for a ceasefire.

Antony Blinken's message is that the US has Israel’s back – today, tomorrow and every day.

He and President Biden talk about the scale and brutality of the Hamas attack: they say Israel must take steps to defend itself, to deal with any ongoing threat, and to make sure it doesn’t happen again.

They say Israel should obey the laws of war and avoid civilian casualties, but it’s clear they are expecting and supporting a forceful and lengthy offensive against Hamas.

The Americans are discussing a safe passage for civilians in and out of Gaza with the Egyptians and Israelis, but – it’s complicated, Blinken said.

The fate of US hostages is also on his agenda: officials here say they know of a “very small” number– although that could change – and haven’t made any decisions yet on how to try to recover them.

3m ago

White House: Biden's comments on beheading based only on Netanyahu's comments​

The White House has clarified US president Joe Biden’s comments earlier, where he said, “I never really thought that I would see and have confirmed pictures of terrorists beheading children.”

In comments reported by the Washington Post, a White House spokesperson said that neither US officials nor Biden had seen photographs or confirmed such reports independently and that Biden had “based his comments about the alleged atrocities on the claims from Netanyahu’s spokesman,” the Washington Post reports.

The barbarism of this attack is beyond anything that can be imagined. This whole situation is heartbreaking. There is a need to come up with a solution that can end hostilities in the long run but for now the Israeli response is going to be severe and relentless given what has occurred.

Live updates: Israel-Hamas war, Gaza hit with airstrikes as atrocities revealed (cnn.com)
7 min ago

Hostages held by Hamas are likely underground, IDF spokesperson says​

Israeli authorities think hostages taken by Hamas are being held underground, Lt. Col. Jonathan Conricus, a spokesperson for the Israel Defense Forces, told CNN’s Erin Burnett on Wednesday.

“Reason dictates that they are underground,” Conricus said. “Reason also dictates that Hamas, since they planned to launch this attack and they planned to take these people hostage, reason dictates that they planned in advance locations to hide these hostages and keep them safe from Israeli intelligence, and efforts to get them out.”

The situation with the hostages is an “extremely sensitive and complex topic,” Conricus said. Even though Israel has had “some experience” with hostage situations, they have never dealt with anything like this, he added.

“Not in the scope, not in the magnitude and not in the complexity of where our hostages are, Conricus said.

When asked whether an Israeli ground invasion was imminent, Conricus said he would not telegraph Israel’s schedule or intentions in this conflict.

“It is clear and understandable that what needs to be done is that all of Hamas’ military capabilities need to be taken off the map. How that will happen, by what means, and what tactics, that is a few days in the future, maybe more than that.”

Hamas fighters are holding as many as 150 people hostage in locations across Gaza following their raids on southern Israel on Saturday, Israel’s ambassador to the United Nations said Monday.

Abu Obaida, the spokesperson of Hamas’ Al-Qassam Brigades, on Monday said Hamas would start executing civilian hostages if Israel targeted people in Gaza without warning.

Live updates: Israel-Hamas war, Gaza hit with airstrikes as atrocities revealed (cnn.com)
7 min ago

Hostages held by Hamas are likely underground, IDF spokesperson says​

Israeli authorities think hostages taken by Hamas are being held underground, Lt. Col. Jonathan Conricus, a spokesperson for the Israel Defense Forces, told CNN’s Erin Burnett on Wednesday.

The situation with the hostages is an “extremely sensitive and complex topic,” Conricus said. Even though Israel has had “some experience” with hostage situations, they have never dealt with anything like this, he added.

“Not in the scope, not in the magnitude and not in the complexity of where our hostages are, Conricus said.

When asked whether an Israeli ground invasion was imminent, Conricus said he would not telegraph Israel’s schedule or intentions in this conflict.

Hamas fighters are holding as many as 150 people hostage in locations across Gaza following their raids on southern Israel on Saturday, Israel’s ambassador to the United Nations said Monday.

Abu Obaida, the spokesperson of Hamas’ Al-Qassam Brigades, on Monday said Hamas would start executing civilian hostages if Israel targeted people in Gaza without warning.
This they planned ahead for.
Protecting the residents of Gaza, not.
Priorities.

Israel-Hamas war live: Gaza’s only power station runs out of fuel; massacre reported at Kfar Aza kibbutz (theguardian.com)

8m ago02.47 BST
Israel Defense Forces spokesperson Jonathan Conricus is speaking now. He says that 100 bodies, including those of children and infants, have been recovered in Kibbutz Be’eri. The total population of the kibbutz before the attack was about 1,200 people.

5m ago21.49 EDT
IDF spokesperson Jonathan Conricus is giving a live update. He is discussing the tunnels under the Gaza strip, and says that the Air Force is trying to attack those.

He claims that the IDF is “prioritising striking Hamas commanders”.

Reports from Gaza suggest that hundreds of civilians, including children, have died in IDF strikes.

3m ago02.51 BST

IDF spokesperson says ground offensive will come 'when opportune and fit for our purposes'

A ground offensive will be launched on Gaza “when opportune and fit for our purposes”, IDF spokesperson Jonathan Conricus has just said in a live update.

Ground forces are gathering at Israel’s southern border with Gaza.

2m ago02.52 BST
“We have a long and very, very dangerous road ahead of us,” says Conricus as he ends the briefing.

Israel Gaza live news: Push for lifesaving access to Gaza civilians as Israel cuts off power - BBC News
It is almost 5am in Israel and Gaza. We are bringing you live updates from Singapore after taking over this page from our colleagues in Washington. Here is what we have been reporting in the last few hours:
  • At least 51 people have died in Gaza after a series of Israeli aerial bombardment on Gaza in the last hour, the Palestinian health ministry has said
  • The US is in talks with Israel, the UN and Egypt on allowing aid into Gaza, and providing safe passage out of the territory for some residents. Anthony Blinken, the US state secretary, is due to land in Israel in a few hours, where he is expected to reiterate America's support for Israel
  • Meanwhile the White House has rowed back comments from Joe Biden who claimed he saw pictures of children decapitated by Hamas militants - the White House said Biden had not seen such images
  • Israel has massed troops near the border between Gaza and Israel, which includes about 300,000 reservists. It is still unclear when it plans to launch a ground offensive inside Gaza
  • Tens of thousands of Gaza residents have not had electricity since Gaza's only power station ceased operations die to a lack of fuel yesterday. Most of Gaza's electricity cupply came from Israel which cut off power supply to the area after the Hamas attack. But we have been hearing from Gaza residents whole told the BBC that power cuts are nothing new to them. "We've been in and out of electricity for many years as long as I remember," one woman said.
  • Besides electricity, Israel is also blocking supplies of essentials including food and water in retaliation to Hamas' attack on Israel. The UN Secretary-General, Antonio Guterres, says rapid and unimpeded humanitarian access is needed. Pressure is mounting for the establishment of safe corridors to allow aid and medicine into the Gaza strip, as well as allow Palestinians to leave
  • The UN has said that more than 338,000 people have been displaced in Gaza

Israel-Hamas war live: Gaza’s only power station runs out of fuel; massacre reported at Kfar Aza kibbutz (theguardian.com)
2m ago03.15 BST
Israel’s bombing campaign has destroyed or rendered uninhabitable at least 2,540 housing units in Gaza, OCHA said, citing numbers from the Gaza Ministry of Public Works and Housing.

Another 22,850 housing units sustained moderate to minor damage, it said.

The UN agency also voiced alarm at the significant destruction of civilian infrastructure damaged in the shelling.

Among other things, it said sewage facilities serving more than a million people had been hit by air strikes, leaving solid waste accumulating in the streets, posing a health threat.

1h ago
As far as we know, Hamas has not made specific demands for the release of hostages, but the release of Palestinian prisoners may be one of the demands.

On 7 October, the day of the Hamas attack on Israel, Al Jazeera spoke to the deputy chief of Hamas’s political bureau, Saleh al-Arouri, who said, “Our detainees in [Israeli] prisons, their freedom is looming large. What we have in our hands will release all our prisoners. The longer fighting continues, the higher the number of prisoners will become.”

By “what we have in our hands”, al-Arouri appeared to be referring to hostages.

Al Jazeera reported that, according to the latest figures by Addameer, a prisoners’ rights NGO, nearly 5,200 Palestinians are in Israeli jails.

‘The Holocaust, all over again’: The Supernova festival massacre, in survivors’ words​

As bullets flew around them and fellow partygoers begged for their lives, these young Israelis escaped the first stage of the Hamas onslaught on October 7. Here are their stories​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SierraShadow2139125