Israel - Palestinian militants launch massive attack, 7 Oct 2023 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just have to say, I'm not lacking compassion, nor was I "slightly inconvenienced". 252 people died that day I can't even describe all the destruction of houses, businesses, fire stations, ect.

The point is, lack of electricity sucks but it's survivable.
<Off topic>

Joplin?

Information for U.S. Citizens in Israel​

Israel Update
October 11, 2023​

Information for U.S. Citizens​

Reconsider Travel to Israel
The situation in Israel remains dynamic; mortar and rocket fire may take place without warning. Individuals should follow the instructions of security and emergency response officials.

U.S. citizens seeking to be in touch with the U.S. Embassy in Israel, please click this link for our crisis intake form, or call 1-833-890-9595 (toll free) and 1-606-641-0131. U.S. citizens in Israel please call the local number (03-519-7426).

For the latest security alert regarding Israel, please click here.

While Ben Gurion International Airport remains open, we are aware that several major airlines have announced that they have suspended flights.

Please check with the airlines on the availability of flights and flight status. U.S. citizens in Gaza who wish to leave and can do so safely are advised to check the status of the Rafah Crossing into Egypt.

Biden warns Iran to 'be careful'

During his speech to a group of Jewish community leaders in Washington, Joe Biden warned Iran to “be careful”, adding that the US is sending more military assistance to help Israel fight Hamas militants.

Biden’s remarks marked the first time he connected the US deployment of a carrier fleet near to Israel to concerns Iran might seek to become involved, Reuters reported. The US president said:

US officials have said they have not been able to establish a direct link between the Hamas attack but are searching to see if they can find one.
Snipped for focus.
Bolding mine.
Good to see that regardless of any involvement on their part, Iran will not be be given carte blanche to help destroy Israel.
Omo.

I really hope hospitals have generators. I really doubt the "leaders" cared enough to ensure that before they caused this.

BBM

Let's turn our attention back to the situation on the ground and hear from Dr Justin Dalby who has been working in Gaza for six months with the humanitarian charity Médecins Sans Frontières.

He tells the BBC there is "constant violence" and "destruction continues everywhere... day or night".

He says hospitals are overwhelmed: "Significantly more patients are coming in... the number of injured is just absolutely immense. There's huge numbers of patients - children, women, men - everywhere."

Medical teams are working under the sound of bombardment "which is often extremely close", he says.

Dalby says supplies are a "huge issue" as hospitals were already "chronically under-resourced" and access is urgently needed for medical supplies and personnel.

But he says the most urgent need is fuel. As we've been reporting, Gaza's only power plant shut down earlier today as fuel ran out - after Israel cut off electricity, fuel, food, goods and water supplies to the territory in response to the Hamas attack on Saturday that left 1,200 people dead in Israel.

Many of Gaza's hospitals rely on diesel to run their generators, and many "have only a few days left", Dalby says.

"If you are taking out the electricity supply of a hospital it means that lights go off, monitoring equipment, oxygen delivery, mechanical ventilators, operating theatres and surgical equipment that requires electricity will no longer be able to function," he adds.

What can get in and out of Gaza?​

As we've been reporting, the US, Israel, the UN and Egypt are holding discussions about how to allow some aid into Gaza, and some residents out.

But at the moment, no crossings into Gaza are functioning.

All the crossings into Israel have been closed since Hamas launched its deadly attack on Israel on Saturday.

Until yesterday, the Rafah crossing between Gaza and Egypt was operating.

On Sunday, it was open for goods and about 200 trucks of food, fuel and construction materials were allowed in, according to the UN.

However, even when the crossing is operating, only a few hundred people are allowed to cross each day, and this is limited to those who have applied to have their names on a list.

On Monday, the UN says, about 800 people left Gaza and about 500 entered, but the crossing was closed for the movement of goods.

Despite the limited numbers able to use the crossing, on Tuesday morning, an Israeli military spokesman said he was "aware that the Rafah crossing was still open" and "anyone who can get out, I would advise them to get out".

And then the crossing area was hit by air strikes, officials in Gaza and Egyptian sources told Reuters news agency. Trucks were pictured apparently heading back into Egypt.

The crossing has been closed since then.

"The terrorists wore our uniforms..." IDF soldiers recount the liberation of Israeli communities​

As days pass following the liberation of Israeli communities around the Gaza area, soldiers recount the 48 hours it took to secure the area

The IDF's engineering and armored infantry forces, led by Lt. Col. Barak Hiram and Lt. Col. Yaniv Barot, engaged terrorists within the 'Bari' and 'Raim' kibbutzim.
Their accounts provide a glimpse into the challenging mission they undertook.

According their statements, delivered by the IDF spokespersons unit, the terrorists they found in Kibbutz 'Bari' adopted a deceptive tactic by wearing IDF uniforms and opening fire on the approaching IDF forces.

Responding swiftly, armored units launched tank shells, paving the way for IDF fighters to clear the houses. Lt. Col. Barak Hiram recounted, "Saturday morning, when we understood there was an invasion happening in the area around Gaza, many soldiers and former soldiers from around Israel came together to defeat the terrorists and save Israeli families in their homes."

Over the subsequent 48 hours, a relentless operation ensued, involving house-to-house liberation of the community. Lt. Col. Barak Hiram emphasized the horrors they faced, by understanding the massacre that occurred in the Kibbutz and the soldiers who fought the terrorists. "But we powered on to keep the state of Israel alive, ensuring our children grow up in a safer and better place," he said.

In Kibbutz Raim, Lt. Col. Yaniv Barot,, and the BA forces encountered a determined terrorists. An intense exchange of fire led to the rescue of a young civilian while successfully neutralizing the terrorist.

What can get in and out of Gaza?​

As we've been reporting, the US, Israel, the UN and Egypt are holding discussions about how to allow some aid into Gaza, and some residents out.

But at the moment, no crossings into Gaza are functioning.

All the crossings into Israel have been closed since Hamas launched its deadly attack on Israel on Saturday.

Until yesterday, the Rafah crossing between Gaza and Egypt was operating.

On Sunday, it was open for goods and about 200 trucks of food, fuel and construction materials were allowed in, according to the UN.

However, even when the crossing is operating, only a few hundred people are allowed to cross each day, and this is limited to those who have applied to have their names on a list.

On Monday, the UN says, about 800 people left Gaza and about 500 entered, but the crossing was closed for the movement of goods.

Despite the limited numbers able to use the crossing, on Tuesday morning, an Israeli military spokesman said he was "aware that the Rafah crossing was still open" and "anyone who can get out, I would advise them to get out".

And then the crossing area was hit by air strikes, officials in Gaza and Egyptian sources told Reuters news agency. Trucks were pictured apparently heading back into Egypt.

The crossing has been closed since then.

You really can't fault Israel for closing their crossings.

Hopefully they will get the Egyptian crossing open again for supplies but I don't see anyway to evacuate 2 million people. ( I think they were talking 2000 a day before Egypt said no).

Wish the Palestinian people could revolt against the Hamas leadership but that'll never happen.

The Gaza strip is in Israel. There really isn't a Palestine.

I have never heard if the Palestinians leave they can't go back. But I'm pretty sure if all the innocent civilians leave the area Israel would flatten it. jMO

The Gaza strip really isn’t in Israel. Israel pulled out of Gaza in 2005, dismantling settlements and removing ground troops. It is part of the Palestinian Authority. See link: Israeli disengagement from Gaza - Wikipedia

Arab ministers urge Israel to resume talks on two-state solution​

Patrick Wintour Diplomatic editor
Wed 11 Oct 2023 20.35 BST

Emergency meeting of Arab League calls for ‘serious negotiations between the PLO and Israel’

Arab foreign ministers have urged Israel to meet its international obligations as an occupying power and return to negotiations on a two-state solution that provides a viable state for Palestine.

<modsnip for 10% copyright rule>

Last edited by a moderator:
I am afraid it’s not survivable when you are relying on medicines refrigeration, on incubators, ventilators, scanners, dialysis machines …
If Hamas can afford all of the devices and weapons and ammunition and resources necessary to invade Israel and kill 1200+ people, I am sure they can get generators up and running to save their own citizens. Right?

An older 2021 article.

Hamas: The Palestinian militant group that rules Gaza​

Hamas is the largest of several Palestinian militant Islamist groups.
Its name is an Arabic acronym for the Islamic Resistance Movement, originating as it did in 1988 after the beginning of the first Palestinian intifada, or uprising, against Israel's occupation of the West Bank and Gaza Strip. Under its charter, it is committed to the destruction of Israel.

Hamas originally had a dual purpose of carrying out an armed struggle against Israel - led by its military wing, the Izzedine al-Qassam Brigades - and delivering social welfare programmes.

But since 2005, when Israel withdrew its troops and settlers from Gaza, Hamas has also engaged in the Palestinian political process. It won the legislative elections in 2006, before reinforcing its power in Gaza the following year by ousting the rival Fatah movement of President Mahmoud Abbas.

Since then, militants in Gaza have fought four major conflicts with Israel, which along with Egypt has maintained a blockade on the strip to isolate Hamas and to pressure it to stop attacks.

Hamas as a whole, or in some cases its military wing, is designated a terrorist group by Israel, the United States, European Union and United Kingdom, as well as other powers.

Suicide bombings​

[…]

It sounds like the assassination of PM Rabin in 1995 was a turning point in Israeli politics.
I remember Israel had always been a secular melting pot with Muslims always trying to gain an edge and there were always tensions and fighting.
However, it still remained a welcoming place. I remember in the 70's, Jewish college students would go to Israel and spend part of their summer working on a kibbutz. (KInd of a communal, almost hippyish thing. I think you could go even if you weren't Jewish! )

Now, it has become a hard lined place where even Christians, just aren't feeling welcome.
Terrorism only makes things worst for the antagonists. It solves nothing.

Last edited:
BBM

Let's turn our attention back to the situation on the ground and hear from Dr Justin Dalby who has been working in Gaza for six months with the humanitarian charity Médecins Sans Frontières.

He tells the BBC there is "constant violence" and "destruction continues everywhere... day or night".

He says hospitals are overwhelmed: "Significantly more patients are coming in... the number of injured is just absolutely immense. There's huge numbers of patients - children, women, men - everywhere."

Medical teams are working under the sound of bombardment "which is often extremely close", he says.

Dalby says supplies are a "huge issue" as hospitals were already "chronically under-resourced" and access is urgently needed for medical supplies and personnel.

But he says the most urgent need is fuel. As we've been reporting, Gaza's only power plant shut down earlier today as fuel ran out - after Israel cut off electricity, fuel, food, goods and water supplies to the territory in response to the Hamas attack on Saturday that left 1,200 people dead in Israel.

Many of Gaza's hospitals rely on diesel to run their generators, and many "have only a few days left", Dalby says.

"If you are taking out the electricity supply of a hospital it means that lights go off, monitoring equipment, oxygen delivery, mechanical ventilators, operating theatres and surgical equipment that requires electricity will no longer be able to function," he adds.

I guess that ^^^^ shows Hamas's true priorities. Look at how many resources they used to plan and carry out their mass slaughter of Israeli families. They had paragliders, trucks, vans, motorcycles, planes, all using gasoline.And thousands of invaders on board.

But they can't provide life saving resources to their own people?

If Hamas can afford all of the devices and weapons and ammunition and resources necessary to invade Israel and kill 1200+ people, I am sure they can get generators up and running to save their own citizens. Right?
We can all see they don’t care about saving their own citizens, which is of course the point you make.

Hamas doesn’t care about them.

But do we?

8m ago

Two Qantas flights will begin evacuating Australians on Friday​

Australian Foreign Minister Penny Wong said her department was working through the details of further action.

“I can indicate to Australians with friends and family in this role we are seeking to arrange a further flight likely to be early next week,” she told reporters in Melbourne on Thursday.

The Wong again condemned the indiscriminate killing of civilians and urged terrorist organisation Hamas to release hostages.

Among those killed in Israel was Australian grandmother Galit Carbone, 66, who died at the hands of the Hamas militants who attacked her village, just kilometres from the Gaza border.

With roughly 10,000 Australian residents and even more tourists stranded in Israel, Australian authorities are trying to ascertain their status and bring home those who want to leave.

Every Hamas fighter is a 'dead man' - Netanyahu​

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has said every Hamas fighter is "a dead man," following the first meeting of the country's new emergency government.

Mr Netanyahu and opposition figure Benny Gantz - a former army chief - formed a war cabinet on Wednesday, setting aside their political rivalry.

Mr Gantz said it was a "time for war" and the newly-formed government was ready to "wipe this thing called Hamas off the face of the Earth".

You can read more on this here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member