Israel - Palestinian militants launch massive attack, 7 Oct 2023 #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Israel-Hamas war live updates: Fears for civilians as 'next stages' of Gaza attack loom (cnn.com)
10 min ago

Diplomatic efforts are intensifying around the Israel-Hamas war. Here's what world leaders are saying​

The humanitarian crisis is deepening in Gaza. The Hamas-run enclave — home to 2.2 million Palestinians — has been pounded by airstrikes in retaliation for the militant group's devastating October 7 terror attacks on Israel.

At least 2,670 people have already died in Gaza, and aid groups warn they are running out of critical supplies as Israel maintains a "complete siege" on the crowded territory. Tens of thousands of northern Gaza residents are trying to evacuate after the Israeli military warned the "next stages of the war" will bring even more airstrikes and "significant ground operations."

Diplomatic efforts are taking center stage this weekend. Here's some of the latest from world leaders:
  • Jordan: The country's prime minister has accused Israel of "blatant violations of international law" in Gaza, saying Jordan rejects "any measures and steps leading to the forced displacement of the Palestinian people" after the Israeli military warned 1.1 million northern Gazans to leave home before it steps up its war against Hamas. Jordanian King Abdullah also told United Kingdom Prime Minister Rishi Sunak “denying food, water, and electricity supplies to innocent civilians in the Gaza Strip is a war crime that the world must condemn and denounce.”
  • European Union: The bloc "condemns in the strongest possible terms Hamas and its brutal and indiscriminate terrorist attacks across Israel" and called for the immediate release of "all hostages without any precondition," the European Council said in a statement Sunday. The EU said it is working to provide urgent humanitarian aid to civilians in Gaza, and will "engage broadly with the legitimate Palestinian authorities" to ensure its assistance is not "abused" by Hamas terrorists.
  • Saudi Arabia: Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman called for the "immediate lifting of the siege on Gaza." He slammed the “targeting of civilians, the destruction of critical infrastructure, and the disruption of essential services” in Gaza, and said he was working with other regional players to de-escalate the situation.
  • United States: US Secretary of State Antony Blinken has been engaged in whirlwind diplomacy efforts, meeting with various regional leaders, including those of Saudi Arabia, Bahrain and the United Arab Emirates. The US has pledged steadfast support for Israel, repeatedly stating it is conducting "legitimate security operations." It has also, however, urged Israel to mitigate impacts to civilians in Gaza and prevent the war from expanding. Separately, top national security officials held meetings with Arab and Muslim American community leaders in the US Sunday.

A man stabbed a child to death and critically injured a woman in the southern suburbs on Saturday morning because they are Muslim, the Will County Sheriff's Office said on Sunday…

The child, stabbed 26 times, was transported in critical condition to a local hospital, where he was later pronounced dead, the sheriff's office said. The woman was hospitalized in serious condition, and is expected to survive.

Czuba has been charged with first-degree murder, attempted first-degree murder, two hate crime counts and aggravated battery with a deadly weapon.

Czuba did not make any statements to detectives about his involvement in the attack, but detectives determined that he targeted the victims due to their Muslim identities and the ongoing Middle Eastern conflict involving Hamas and Israel.

A man stabbed a child to death and critically injured a woman in the southern suburbs on Saturday morning because they are Muslim, the Will County Sheriff's Office said on Sunday…

The child, stabbed 26 times, was transported in critical condition to a local hospital, where he was later pronounced dead, the sheriff's office said. The woman was hospitalized in serious condition, and is expected to survive.

Czuba has been charged with first-degree murder, attempted first-degree murder, two hate crime counts and aggravated battery with a deadly weapon.

Czuba did not make any statements to detectives about his involvement in the attack, but detectives determined that he targeted the victims due to their Muslim identities and the ongoing Middle Eastern conflict involving Hamas and Israel.

Is Illinois a death penalty state by any chance??

WS is very educational. :);)
I have learned about many cities and counties by following WS. When I hear one of them mentioned in another context, I have to stop myself from blurting out murder details about specific locales.

In this case, I know the general geography of Israel and surrounding region, but once again, I am learning more about cities, kibbutz locations, etc. Soon we'll learn about the tunnel locations, I guess. I like seeing the scenery, which I know is an odd thing considering the horror we are witnessing.

jmo

Israel-Hamas war live: US sends second aircraft carrier ‘to deter hostile actions against Israel’; ground assault on Gaza looms (theguardian.com)
10m ago20.51 BST

France has warned Iran “against any escalation or extension of the conflict” between Israel and Hamas, the French presidential office announced on Sunday

During a phone call between French president Emmanuel Macron and Iranian counterpart Ebrahim Raisi, Macron warned against any conflict spillover into Lebanon, Agence France-Presse reports.

“Iran, given its relations with Hezbollah and Hamas, has a responsibility” and “must do its utmost to avoid any regional conflagration,” the French presidency said.

Macron also “reiterated the need for all to unequivocally condemn the terrorist attacks perpetrated by Hamas in Israel and Israel’s right to defend itself, as well as to eliminate the terrorist groups that have struck at its population.”

So far, at least 19 French nationals were killed in the attack by Hamas last weekend and another 13 more are currently missing.

Macron said that the release of the hostages was “an absolute priority for France.”

He also added that France is “steps, in conjunction with the United Nations, to support humanitarian operations in Gaza.”

Nooooo!

jmo

10:53 pm

White House indicates Biden won’t accept solidarity visit invitation from Netanyahu

After Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s office leaks that the premier invited US President Joe Biden to pay a solidarity visit to Israel following Hamas’s massive assault, White House National Security Council spokesperson Adrienne Watson says, “We have no new travel to announce.”
Good to see. I've been in theatres of war when Presidents, Prime Ministers etc have shown up to boost our morale ... they were not advertised in advance. It's a freakin' combat zone - there's already great enough risk to them just by being there unannounced.

I have learned about many cities and counties by following WS. When I hear one of them mentioned in another context, I have to stop myself from blurting out murder details about specific locales.

In this case, I know the general geography of Israel and surrounding region, but once again, I am learning more about cities, kibbutz locations, etc. Soon we'll learn about the tunnel locations, I guess. I like seeing the scenery, which I know is an odd thing considering the horror we are witnessing.

jmo
I agree, and I've been thinking how amazing it is that we have access to "up to- the- minute" news and information from around the globe. Not to wander off topic...

White House responds to Iran foreign minister comments​

A White House official has responded to comments made by an Iranian foreign minister warning of escalation towards Israel. As NBC's Gabe Gutierrez reports, the Biden administration says they "haven't seen any specific indication that Iran is trying to deepen or widen the conflict."

I hope President Biden turns down the invitation. Far too dangerous for him to travel to a country at war.

JMO
I think he could and would be protected so the danger doesn't concern me as much as WHY create this distraction right now. They do not need him to physically show up to know he supports them. It's clear the US is with them. Why create the NEED for additional assets to be diverted to protect him. That is not what Israel needs to focus on right now they are in the middle of a war.

Typically, we hear about a head of state being in a war zone AFTER they leave and are well out of the area.

White House responds to Iran foreign minister comments​

A White House official has responded to comments made by an Iranian foreign minister warning of escalation towards Israel. As NBC's Gabe Gutierrez reports, the Biden administration says they "haven't seen any specific indication that Iran is trying to deepen or widen the conflict."

. . . except by making threats, that is.

I think he could and would be protected so the danger doesn't concern me as much as WHY create this distraction right now. They do not need him to physically show up to know he supports them. It's clear the US is with them. Why create the NEED for additional assets to be diverted to protect him. That is not what Israel needs to focus on right now they are in the middle of a war.

Typically, we hear about a head of state being in a war zone AFTER they leave and are well out of the area.

Which world leaders showed up in Kiev to show their support to Ukraine in the middle of the war. I remember Boris Johnson from the UK, and IIRC there were others. Showing solidarity can be important at times like this.

11:07 pm

Blinken says efforts to relocate Palestinians from Gaza to Sinai a ‘non-starter’

US Secretary of State Antony Blinken says the Biden administration does not support proposals to mass-relocate Palestinians outside of Gaza as Israel broadens its military campaign against Hamas in the Strip.

“I’ve heard directly from Palestinian Authority President [Mahmoud] Abbas and from virtually every other leader that I’ve talked to in the region, that that idea is a non-starter, and so we do not support it,” Blinken says during an interview with Al Arabiya from Cairo.

“We believe that people should be able to stay in Gaza, their home,” the secretary adds after being asked about proposals to relocate some of the Gaza residents to the Sinai Peninsula in Egypt.

“But we also want to make sure that they’re out of harm’s way and that they’re getting the assistance they need,” Blinken says.

Israel urged all Palestinians living in northern Gaza to move south for their safety ahead of an expected ground incursion. Egypt has not opened the crossing on its border with Gaza.

Indoctrination against Israel is taught in elementary school, they grow up with this hatred of Israel and the Jewish people.
I don't like to see the word 'they' in this context. IMO, most people, everywhere, are just trying to live happy lives given the hand they've been dealt in life. That is why millions of Palestinians just want to get to safety. If they really hated Israel and Jewish people they would stay and fight.

JMO

Which world leaders showed up in Kiev to show their support to Ukraine in the middle of the war. I remember Boris Johnson from the UK, and IIRC there were others. Showing solidarity can be important at times like this.
President Biden visited. It was not announced until he was out of the area if I recall.. it was more of a post visit announcement that he had been there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gisberthanekroot