Israel - Palestinian militants launch massive attack, 7 Oct 2023 #6

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

London police report 1,353% rise in antisemitic hate crimes since Hamas onslaught​

Force acknowledges surge in incidents of Jew hatred occurring ‘despite the increased presence of officers’ in UK capital; Islamophobic hate crimes also up​

BBC to stop referring to Hamas as militants, but won't refer to them as terrorists​

Several British publications have questioned whether the move was truly a result of a change of heart or if it was driven by the review of BBC funding which is coming up in the next week.​

hmmm... one gue$$

It's ridiculous. You don't have to be a supporter of terrorism to agree with what Greta says. I think she's right. It doesn't mean you support Hamas at all. But of course the IDF wouldn't agree with her.

It is ridiculous but it's everywhere right now.
IMO one can't just can't respond to every statement you don't agree with by saying
- well that means you support terrorism or
- well that means you're an anti-semite ( Times of Israel just claimed BBC are anti-semitic organisation, linked a few posts back, Spanish reporter item in Elley Mae's link. and it's happened to a couple of Jewish friends of mine recently )

This kind of thing might wash in some spheres but at this rate words will begin to lose any meaning, credibility starts to take a hit and obviously you risk alienating your supporters. ( If you're slamming people who aren't well known or who have universally negative ratings, it's less risky )

She doesn’t have to be a supporter. She, also, shouldn’t share a Nazi era cartoon that is used in anti semitic propaganda. Big difference.

Greta Thunberg deletes pro-Palestinian post featuring antisemitic trope, claims she ‘was completely unaware’​

The octopus has long been associated with autistic people as a sensory toy. Not the best time to be pictured with it if you know the other meaning though. But who knows if she did or not.

Israel's burial society website comes under cyberattack​

The website of the Israeli Chevra Kadisha (Jewish Burial Society) came under cyber attack on Saturday afternoon.

The site displayed the message "hacked by x7root" alongside an image of Jews lined up outside a gas chamber and text filled with antisemitic and homophobic messages referring to Jews as "the dirtiest people" and "people who usurped the land."

She deleted it when people told her what it meant I think? It would be pointless of her to post it in the first place if she knew the other meaning as she'd know that wouldn't go down well.
I will not make excuses for bad behavior.
It makes no sense she was promoting Autism awareness in this post. IMO

Oct 21, 2023 #israel #kibbutz #hamas
What took place in the Kibbutz Be'eri can only be described as a massacre, with shocking stories of families caught up in unimaginable horror. Sky's Anna Botting speaks to the soldiers and first responders who share what they witnessed.

Oct 21, 2023
Hours after Hamas released an American woman and her daughter who were taken captive during the brutal attack on Israel on Oct. 7, humanitarian aid has begun to enter Gaza. The territory has been under a blockade since those attacks, with no food, water, medicine or fuel entering. Over a million people have been displaced. Christina Ruffini has more.

Oct 21, 2023
Israeli tanks are lined up at the country's southern border as many anticipate a ground invasion of the Gaza Strip. Meanwhile, Israel warned citizens in Jordan and Egypt to leave the countries immediately because of concerns that they could be targeted. Roxana Saberi has more.

Humanitarian aid enters Gaza as Egypt opens border crossing​

The border crossing between Egypt and Gaza opened on Saturday to let a trickle of desperately needed aid into the besieged Palestinian territory for the first time since Israel sealed it off in the wake of Hamas' bloody rampage two weeks ago.

Gaza's 2.3 million Palestinians, half of whom have fled their homes, are rationing food and drinking dirty water. Hospitals say they are running low on medical supplies and fuel for emergency generators amid a territory-wide power blackout. Israel is still launching waves of airstrikes across Gaza as Palestinian militants fire rocket barrages into Israel.
….

The Hamas-run government in Gaza also said the limited convoy "will not be able to change the humanitarian catastrophe," calling for a secure corridor operating around the clock.

More: Humanitarian aid enters Gaza as Egypt opens border crossing

She deleted it when people told her what it meant I think? It would be pointless of her to post it in the first place if she knew the other meaning as she'd know that wouldn't go down well.
If I was posing for a group photo or selfie in front of a sofa with octopus soft toy on sofa behind me, I wouldn't have a clue what it meant

Hands up those on WS right now who would have known of this double meaning prior to this Thunberg story? (About 50 people are regularly posting on this thread, be interested to know how many would say they knew)

Anyway these topics are probably some kind of displacement?

Rolling Stone's take

'TWO WEEKS INTO the horrific war between Israel and Hamas, the state of online discourse has descended from “generally bad and stupid” to “unfathomably dumb and borderline dangerous.” Case in point: recent allegations that environmental activist Greta Thunberg, after posting a “Stand with Gaza” sign and demanding a ceasefire, was actually posting a Nazi dogwhistle. Later, the official X account for the Israeli government piled on, too.

In a follow-up tweet, Thunberg, who is autistic, clarified that the plush octopus on her shoulder was not a reference to a (frankly, somewhat historically obscure) anti-Semitic canard, but to a common toy used by neurodivergent people to express their feelings. “It has come to my knowledge that the stuffed animal shown in my earlier post can be interpreted as a symbol for antisemitism, which I was completely unaware of,” she wrote. “The toy in the picture is a tool often used by autistic people as a way to communicate feelings. We are of course against any type of discrimination, and condemn antisemitism in all forms and shapes. This is non-negotiable. That is why I deleted the last post.”'

Last edited:
If I was posing for a group photo or selfie in front of a sofa with octopus soft toy on sofa behind me, I wouldn't have a clue what it meant

Hands up those on WS right now who would have known of this double meaning prior to this Thunberg story? (About 50 people are regularly posting on this thread, be interested to know how many would say they knew)
I had NOT the slightest idea! o_O

About BOTH meanings :oops:
Phew!!

Humanitarian aid enters Gaza as Egypt opens border crossing​

The border crossing between Egypt and Gaza opened on Saturday to let a trickle of desperately needed aid into the besieged Palestinian territory for the first time since Israel sealed it off in the wake of Hamas' bloody rampage two weeks ago.

Gaza's 2.3 million Palestinians, half of whom have fled their homes, are rationing food and drinking dirty water. Hospitals say they are running low on medical supplies and fuel for emergency generators amid a territory-wide power blackout. Israel is still launching waves of airstrikes across Gaza as Palestinian militants fire rocket barrages into Israel.
….

The Hamas-run government in Gaza also said the limited convoy "will not be able to change the humanitarian catastrophe," calling for a secure corridor operating around the clock.

More: Humanitarian aid enters Gaza as Egypt opens border crossing
"Hamas- run government said..." (there it is, again). Sadly, I don't believe it's humanly possible to keep humanitarian aid out of the hands of Hamas. Would love to be proven wrong.

She doesn’t have to be a supporter. She, also, shouldn’t share a Nazi era cartoon that is used in anti semitic propaganda. Big difference.

Greta Thunberg deletes pro-Palestinian post featuring antisemitic trope, claims she ‘was completely unaware’​

It’s the fact that she’s 20 years old, spectrum or not.

As a 67 year old the last person I want to hear from about any war is a 20 year old that protest too much.

Jmo

Anyway moving on from displacement activities and back to the crisis involving millions of people across multiple nations & a ton of suffering

US urges all parties to keep Rafah crossing open​

US secretary of state, Antony Blinken, has urged all parties to keep the Rafah crossing into Gaza open to enable aid to continue coming through.

The opening of the route this morning, he said, was the result of “days of exhaustive US diplomatic engagement in the region”.

He warned that Hamas “must nor interfere with the provision of this life-saving assistance",” adding: “Palestinian civilians are not responsible for Hamas’s horrific terrorism, and they should not be made to suffer for its depraved acts.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1000MoonsAgo