JAG Armchair Psych Profile Family Dynamics

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
When my granny was little - she was born in 1913 so I guess from like 1916 - 1922 or so - she lived near one of those old "insane asylums". One like you see in the movies - spooky, scary. She told me that her mother (and her as she got older) knew when it was a full moon. She said you could hear some of them just screaming and that "window" activity always increased (they could see the windows). She even told me one time one of the guys escaped and how it scared her so very bad.

So, yes I do believe the full moon affects people - some more than others - maybe it also has to do with your chemical balance as well. IDK

O/T I study the moon as many know from forensic astro thread, the moon phases and criminal behavior does exist. I started a thread in the jury room a few years ago called moon phases and crime..........please look.........
Haleigh disappeared on a full moon.......etc.......I listed so many, I need to catch it up one day esp with this find.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82178&highlight=moon+phases+crime

feel free to help us out on this thread

From what I've read JAG was classified as SED (severly emotionally disturbed).
He was also diagnosed as bipolar when he was very young. (I question that diagnosis at such a young age...)

He supposedly took lithium for a period of time, but it gave him irritable bowel syndrome among other things. Those who knew him mentioned that he changed as he stopped taking the meds. They didn't know if he was taking other medication or what... (I think this information was in the 2000 arrest and trial information.)

(Information from: http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/mar/06/deeply-troubled-picture-emerges-of-suspects-life/ )

I did a little research on the bipolar condition with emedicine.com

Here's a quote from the site's rather lengthy article:
Most people start showing signs of bipolar disorder in their late teens (the average age of onset is 21 years). These signs may be dismissed as "growing pains" or normal teenage behavior. On occasion, some people have their first symptoms during childhood, but the condition can often be misdiagnosed at this age and improperly labeled as a behavioral problem. Bipolar disorder may not be properly diagnosed until the sufferer is 25-40 years old, at which time the pattern of symptoms may become clearer.
http://www.emedicinehealth.com/bipolar_disorder/article_em.htm

If JAG was diagnosed with this condition close to 1990 as the SDUT article suggests, it seems to be a little early for both the diagnosis and meds, IMO.

O/T I study the moon as many know from forensic astro thread, the moon phases and criminal behavior does exist. I started a thread in the jury room a few years ago called moon phases and crime..........please look.........
Haleigh disappeared on a full moon.......etc.......I listed so many, I need to catch it up one day esp with this find.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82178&highlight=moon+phases+crime

feel free to help us out on this thread

Interesting thread...It will be interesting to watch as you gather data.

I thought I'd read somewhere that he was in a SED (severely emotionally disabled) class...ADHD could qualify for that, but so could early childhood BP...and he was hospitalized at some point, which (and I could be completely wrong...) is what led to his being included in the SED class. I think. I could be utterly off base, but I've had the impression that his hospitalization was in his teen years (while in school).

If he did abduct and kill Amber, this would certainly lead to a sense of "they can't catch me" (and I think it is what happened...). I don't know if it was narcissistic or antisocial, though, inasmuch as if it were narcissistic, that's easily broken in interrogation and narcissitic people are easily led to talk about how great they are, how wonderful they committed the crime, et cetera. If, indeed, he is antisocial, he may be able to deflect all attempts at interrogation simply because the world responds to him, and not he to the world. If he has no guilt, no conscious, then he has nothing to answer for.

But this is complete armchair stuff...without a whole lot more information, and without a whole lot more history of his life, it will be hard to determine what is "wrong" with him...

And, I just want to be clear, I don't think any of this could/should excuse his behavior, and does not amount to any foundation for a NGBRI defense. It doesn't reach that level, not in the least.

Best-
Herding Cats

Thanks! The fact that JAG buried Chelsea - an attempt to cover up his crime - shows that he knows right from wrong. He knew what he did was wrong and tried to hide it.

Good thoughts, I think. We need a resident pharmacist or chemist to be sure.

Yes, a pharmaceutical team could be helpful at times. That's for sure. I've had a pharmacology class or two, and a bit of neuroscience, but there's way more to learn. Have taken an interest in HER-2 and EGFR pathways lately. New areas are being explored according to the journals, and hopefully, some positive things are on the horizon.

Yes, a pharmaceutical team could be helpful at times. That's for sure. I've had a pharmacology class or two, and a bit of neuroscience, but there's way more to learn. Have taken an interest in HER-2 and EGFR pathways lately. New areas are being explored according to the journals, and hopefully, some positive things are on the horizon.

I'm impressed with your interest and background. I also hope that new meds and/or treatments are on the horizon for those who suffer various brain differences--ADHD, Bipolar, Depression, etc. There are so many who could have a much better quality of life if science creates new solutions. (AND, I certainly agree that the side effects of some of the current meds are too dangerous/debilitating for many individuals.)

tink56 said:
Good thoughts, I think. We need a resident pharmacist or chemist to be sure.

Funny you should mention! We have that. :)

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97300"]Professional Posters - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

This is a good time to remind people that if they would like to be listed as a verified professional in a certain area, they should contact the forum owner Tricia Griffith.
Complete details are in the linked thread.
thanks!

.............................................................................................
.......................... I don't know if it was narcissistic or antisocial, though, inasmuch as if it were narcissistic, that's easily broken in interrogation and narcissitic people are easily led to talk about how great they are, how wonderful they committed the crime, et cetera. If, indeed, he is antisocial, he may be able to deflect all attempts at interrogation simply because the world responds to him, and not he to the world. If he has no guilt, no conscious, then he has nothing to answer for...............

Best-
Herding Cats

snipped by me

You brought up an interesting point for me to struggle with. I need to isolate what I consider antisocial vs maglinant narcissism. I might tend to confuse them more than I realized. I've seen narcissist that never break in interrogation and never admit to a lie, or so I thought. Do both not feel emotions, guilt, remorse?

Something I just remembered this morning. It's been a few years, so I'm somewhat foggy on the exact words, but I was talking to a friend of mine who was John's best friend in 2000.

Anyway, when John came up, he said that the guy was scum, and "we all went up there and testified as to what a good guy he was and that it was impossible for him to have done it and then he admitted to everything."

I don't know if that "admission" was him pleading guilty, or if it was that he told them directly. I remember thinking that he meant that he admitted to his friends.

Like I said, it's fairly foggy, but there it is. None of his former friends are in contact with him anymore, and most of them are pretty much hiding out, which is why you haven't heard from them (quite a few even had their parents stand up and testify). They've washed their hands of him a long time ago, rightfully so... I'd be weary in trusting anyone saying they knew him from High School and is actually talking to the press about it. Like I said a while back, media has been contacting people listed on the court documents as character witnesses, but nobody I know that *actually* knew him seems to be willing to give a statement.

I'm still trying to rack my brain for any other tidbits, but in the end, none of this is going to make any sense as to why he's done such horrible things, no matter how long you analyze it.

Ah ha, no wonder those old friends don't want to stick up for him in any way now. At one time, he did have everybody believing in him, even friend's parents. What a puzzle this guy is. Thanks justsomeinfo.

Quoted from this site:

http://yourtotalhealth.ivillage.com/pathological-lying-amp-mental-disorders.html

"The condition that's most associated with pathological lying is sociopathy or antisocial personality disorder, which is characterized by a lack of regard for others' feelings and manipulating others for personal gain (or sometimes just plain amusement). People with antisocial personality disorder also frequently have erratic work histories and substance abuse problems and may engage in criminal activities. I suppose people with antisocial personality disorder can also have ADHD or bipolar disorder, but there's no inherent connection."

JBean (and everyone), I'm not an expert. I'm a nursing student, and have worked with the National Alliance of Mental Health on occasion, and know just enough to have kept me safe and sane while doing rotation in a psychiatric facility, and I am considering going into psych ER once I graduate (in May), but that doesn't make me any sort of expert - far from it. And I have a background in LE (long ago). Just thought I'd make mention of that...

snipped by me

You brought up an interesting point for me to struggle with. I need to isolate what I consider antisocial vs maglinant narcissism. I might tend to confuse them more than I realized. I've seen narcissist that never break in interrogation and never admit to a lie, or so I thought. Do both not feel emotions, guilt, remorse?

You probably aren't as confused as you think - MN is a hard, hard catagory, and has cross-characteristics with others. The biggest difference between narcissism and antisocial behavior is that narcissism is a "cover" for a fragile self esteem, easily damaged by criticisms and/or perceived slights, whereas antisocial simply doesn't care if what they do is not acceptable; it's what they do, and so they do it.

The reason narcissism can be broken in interrogation is because if the interrogator can stroke the ego, the tongue gets loosened. "Wow, I never would have thought to do it that way. You're quite brilliant. Tell me how you did it? How did you ever come up with such a brilliant/smart/crafty plan?" et cetera. Gacy is a good example of MN, in his toying with authorities, and during his confession he expressed his superiority towards LE by making them 'guess' and telling them they were right/wrong. Power plays, control, and ego were very evident in Gacy's interrogations...and a good (although not necessarily "classic") demonstration of MN during interrogations and how to break the person.

Antisocial interrogation often fails, because there is no chink in the armour...you can't say "wow, you're great," because they literally don't care what you think about their 'greatness'...they do what they do because that's what they do. Bundy was a great example of antisocial behavior, as he was "charming and manipulative" and able to create a sense of wellbeing with his original captors (in CO), and able to escape - twice - because of lenient treatment (because he had won over his captors and they didn't think he'd do such a thing...). During interrogation after his his arrest for killing Kimberly Leach, he gave a false name, and held that until they came to him and said "you are not who you said you are. You're Ted Bundy" (or however they said it). They weren't able to get him to confess, and they were not able to successfully interrogate him. He "confessed" before his death sentence was carried out, but it was not a full confession, but rather an attempt to save his own hide, buy time, and try to escape the death sentence being carried out. There was no remorse, no acceptance of guilt, and, finally, no full confession to his crimes (which is why a number of folks are still investigating him; and the number of killings he did is still unclear).

In these examples, Gacy was classic MN - he toyed with LE, and, when caught and interrogated properly, he confessed. Bundy manipulated LE, never confessed, and, when he did confess, it was not a complete confession...still holding back information to save his own skin.

All that being said, there are a lot of characteristics between the two which overlap; ego, confidence, power, and so on. The difference lays in the personal motivation for that - narcissism is about a fragile ego (protection from others' opinions); antisocial is about no consideration for others (uncaring about others' opinions).

Hope that helps...it's a convoluted topic, personality disorders, and can be really, really interesting when one gets down into it. It can also be really, really scary.

Best-
Herding Cats

From what I've read JAG was classified as SED (severly emotionally disturbed).
He was also diagnosed as bipolar when he was very young. (I question that diagnosis at such a young age...)

He supposedly took lithium for a period of time, but it gave him irritable bowel syndrome among other things. Those who knew him mentioned that he changed as he stopped taking the meds. They didn't know if he was taking other medication or what... (I think this information was in the 2000 arrest and trial information.)

(Information from: http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/mar/06/deeply-troubled-picture-emerges-of-suspects-life/ )

I believe one of the main takeaways is turning someone with emotional issues into a "walking drug store" for many years has undefined results.

I believe one of the main takeaways is turning someone with emotional issues into a "walking drug store" for many years has undefined results.

Yes, I certainly agree. I'm not an expert either. I'm still working on completing a BA in Psych I started in the 70's. An injury sent me back to school, 70% compression of L1, looking for something I could do that wasn't so physical. I did manage to pick up a certificate in Addiction Studies, and am getting good grades in the classes I take. Would like to go on to a Master's, even at my mature age. At the moment, I'm focusing on Suicide Prevention, and hope to expand a Prevention Team after the next training the University is putting on. Last spring the team at the time did a day long presentation at the high school in conjunction with Yellow Ribbon Day. We decided to not harp on suicide for a whole week, as the Yellow Ribbon project is a week long thing, which the school nurse thought might be too much thinking about suicide, and we agreed. We didn't want to get the kids obsessing about it, but make them aware of the symptoms and how to get help from themselves or anyone they know who might be depressed or openly considering ending their lives.

This time they're having the training right in our town, so hopefully more from our community will be there. Our area has twice the State and National levels of suicide, and that's something we'd like to see corrected. I'm not an 'expert' but have some training and may be able to add insight in some cases.

Yes, I have seen several people far over medicated. I've found two cases of rage in people on respiradal/respiradone. Stop the drug, the rage stops too.

It seems that in some it creates EXTREME anger. It's becoming well known that SSRI's can cause spinouts too. The idea of keeping serotonin cycling in the synapses seems ill advised, as serotonin breaks down into other chemicals necessary for good mental and emotional health. I like the idea of increasing serotonin in the whole body, which can be easily done with 5 HTP for a short period of time. In the cases I've seen that have tried the 5 HTP, they seem to come up fast and stay balanced. Wider investigation is needed. The vast majority of serotonin receptors are in the intestines, not the brain. Sometimes psychologists spend too much time in the head and not enough on the rest of the body, is my sense of the situation.

thank you for the insight - one question - what's up with all the sexual innuendo in the nicknames? And why do they say to pack condoms with your running stuff?

tia

On the SM site, they have a description of what the club is. They call newbies, virgins, so it probably is a play on that. They probably don't really need condoms.

On the SM site, they have a description of what the club is. They call newbies, virgins, so it probably is a play on that. They probably don't really need condoms.

and children are 'HORRORS'.........just a very odd group

Please stay on topic. Thanks

ETA:I have asked several times to leave the mothers personal information out of it for now. please let's wait for relevancy before we devote a thread to the mother's comings and goings.
Please.

Please stay on topic. Thanks

While most people believe that the components that make up a psychological disorder are part nature and part nurture it is very difficult to speak only about the "nature" portion of a disorder while completely ignoring the huge pink elephant in the room which would be the nurture portion of the disease/disorder.

He is charged with murdering and raping a runner along the same trail as a recent run the "running" group he is linked to participated in.

There is also some indication in some of the pictures that he was a "virgin" member of the group (due to his group name given in some of the pictures) who had not yet received an official name. He is also photographed with some of the members of the group at the residence he was living at when the crime occured.

The group he is linked to IS highly sexual, shows signs of sexual deviancy, etc.

Is it not alright to post about a group that he is pictured with and appears to have been a part of?

Should we have a separate thread to explore this aspect in?

I think it is highly relevant to his psychological make up and possibly his sexual deviancy but it sounds like we aren't allowed to discuss this group at all (?)

I'm not sure JBean has said that, Voice4theSilent. She may be considering
what to do as we speak. I too believe what was going on in the house, is very significant in JAG's overall whatever he did or was involved in.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassie.ryan18
Back