Jahi’s family wants her declared 'alive again’

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Who knows how they're getting scripts for anything (if they are actually getting stuff that requires scripts.) As was suggested before, they could be pulling something that a lot of celebrities do: have doctors write scripts under an alias to protect their identity. It's a frowned upon practice, but I believe it's also one that has passed certain "smell tests" with authorities because it protects people's privacy.

Jahi's body was apparently taken out of the NJ hospital months ago and moved into a private apartment used by the family there, also in NJ. I guess they've just been using 24/7 home-care nursing to keep up with the maintenance of the body. And as far as the delivery of supplements, caloric intake, medicines, hormones, etc. They haven't really elaborated on that much, and I think they do this intentionally to keep as much obscurity and cloudiness to their story as possible. The less the public knows, the better. Kind of like how the mother keeps saying Jahi maintains her own body temperature, yet we see in numerous photos and videos of the body which is covered in several layers of blankets, woolen beanies, etc and a machine in the room which has a set purpose of circulating heated water through hoses over the body, in order to help keep body temperature up.

What they say and what they do are two different things, and carefully orchestrated to tell the story they only WANT people to hear or see.

P.S. also, thank YOU for your input and opinions on this topic :) I'm so glad we have this place to openly discuss and explore everyone's thoughts on it!
-----------
Hi TJL, thank you so much for your response. IMO I feel the hospital in N.J. realized there is no coming back for Jahi. They have themselves backed against a wall. They cant take her home to Ca. as it would cost a fortune, I don't believe they are getting the funds they once did. I don't know how that would go over in Ca., bring a dead body back to keep it at home. Unless one has a closed casket the body must be embalmed for health of the living. I wonder if they have to turn her every 20 minutes like one does with paralysis to prevent pressure on skin which is even worse in this case. Oh I don't think this will go on much longer.If things aren't done as should be, it can get pretty ugly. The child should be given her peace right now, taken home, and buried. My God if they think she is sick can you imagine EMS? The only place that would accept her is the morgue.
Thank you for your kind words.:tyou: the people on this board have one thing in common~we all want peace and calm for a poor dead child.

-----------
Hi TJL, thank you so much for your response. IMO I feel the hospital in N.J. realized there is no coming back for Jahi. They have themselves backed against a wall. They cant take her home to Ca. as it would cost a fortune, I don't believe they are getting the funds they once did. I don't know how that would go over in Ca., bring a dead body back to keep it at home. Unless one has a closed casket the body must be embalmed for health of the living. I wonder if they have to turn her every 20 minutes like one does with paralysis to prevent pressure on skin which is even worse in this case. Oh I don't think this will go on much longer.If things aren't done as should be, it can get pretty ugly. The child should be given her peace right now, taken home, and buried. My God if they think she is sick can you imagine EMS? The only place that would accept her is the morgue.
Thank you for your kind words.:tyou: the people on this board have one thing in common~we all want peace and calm for a poor dead child.
Honestly, I think the "funds" they were living off of was strictly the Go Fund Me crowd source money, and POSSIBLY "appearance fees" paid to them to show up to things like the New Beginnings Gala's. I guess they figured the flood of money would last much longer and wouldn't taper off so sharply, and that's why they spent lots of money so frivolously in the early months.

And you're certainly right: everyone wants peace, calm, and justice for a young child who died under such awful terms...and her memory has seemingly not been taken care of very respectfully. :)

Hi K_Z, I am reading from bottom up. (read last page first too).LOL. On the g~tube. I posted this and explained I didn't have proof. I read it awhile back in a newspaper article given from Dolan and the uncle. They
mentioned there had been a problem with the tube so it was removed, maybe it was reinserted. My niece is an RN, she works in a facility that has an ICU floor, cases similar to Jahi but they are alive. She said it is very possible they had a problem. I keep her posted a lot on this case. Shes' a 24/7 super so you know what I mean.LOL not much time to read. I looked for that article after . I found the article but it had been removed. Thought that fishy at the time.

Thanks for looking for the article, Nore. And I'd also like to add my thanks for your participation here! I never would have guessed you're 82! You're a great example to others at that age (and younger!) to stay interested and connected.

From where I'm sitting, I have no problem at this point with the family arranging home care for Jahi's body for as long as they wish, or until cardiac standstill. That's what I was originally hoping would happen back last Dec, when the family was so vocal and seeking so much publicity. NW has been given her daughter's body, and the responsibility for whatever happens between then and cardiac standstill. I think that was a very wise decision by Judge Grillo, and to involve the ME/ Coroner's office in initiating the death certificate. Many families in hopeless situations choose to take their loved ones home to privately care for them in the time they have left. That is compassionate, and dignified.

If the family would embrace their privacy, and remain out of the courts with any more "alive again" filings, at this point, and stop giving any press conferences, I would feel much better about their motives.

The discharge from the extremely difficult and hard-won admission to St. Peter's hospital in NJ was a crucial point, and the beginning of the real end in their quest for public funds, IMO.

I fully expect them to file a medical malpractice/ wrongful death lawsuit at some point-- many families in that situation would, and probably should, do that-- again, in a dignified and respectful manner. They have a right to test that theory in court, and the hospital will defend their actions, as they always do in those types of cases. That's the normal process. I don't have any problem with that legal action, and welcome it, as I think CHO would very much like to explain their side of the case in court. They and their staff have been much maligned and harassed by this family, and this entire process.

But this "alive again" legal test needs to disappear, IMO. It's ridiculous, and a waste of the court's time and resources, so I really hope Dolan doesn't file anything more about this. IMO, they're hurting their eventual malpractice case with these actions and this publicity.

Agreed. Interns do not prepare pleadings. Paralegals typically do, but the final draft will be reviewed and signed by an attorney, as required by the rules of civil procedure. And you're right, paralegals typically catch mistakes attorneys don't. Then again, it's not obvious from looking at the name 'Jahi' if it belongs to a male or female.

Dolan has 15 attorneys at his firm, half of which graduated from an unranked law school with a 56% bar passage rate and only 39% of its graduates in 2012 employed with jobs that actually require passage of the bar. There are a few who attended Hastings... and one attorney who appears to have a hard time remembering to pay his bar dues.
As always, thanks for the professional input here :)

As a mom of three children who have spent time in the PICU, I have a slightly different take on NW's desire to have Jahi declared alive again. One of my children was admitted to a hospital that specializes in pediatric care when she was only a week old. There were several very big mistakes made in her care, one of which still impacts her nearly a decade later. When I insisted on speaking with supervisors I was less than pleased with their responses, so I began the process of having her transferred to another hospital. She was relatively stable, but it was still an extremely difficult process. My child had an illness that doctors were interested in seeing for themselves; poor Jahi already has a diagnosis that has been confirmed by multiple doctors. There is nothing to be gained by transferring Jahi. NW must feel completely overwhelmed and isolated without friends and family in NJ. If she brings Jahi back to CA without having her declared living, she has most likely been told that Jahi's body will not be eligible for admission to any hospital should a problem arise. Given the extent of her denial, I really feel badly for her.
Also, OS referring to the $250k as chump change may partially be a cultural difference. In my part of the country those who are socially and economically powerless rely on lawsuits to even things out. It doesn't make it right, but here it's all too common.

A brief update in court records yesterday (2 entries dated 10/21/2014):

probate-dropped-12-14.png
Someone more versed in this, could you explain it? As I'm having a difficult time understanding why they would put an entry into the record of a hearing scheduled for 12/09/2014, and then immediately afterwards put another entry into the record showing that hearing is dropped.

I may need to call the court by phone on this one...

Email response from Alameda County Court Records:

dropped-12-14-2.jpg

So yea, a hearing date was reserved, but then dropped.

Does anyone know how long it takes for a newly scheduled hearing to appear on the website? It would be interesting to see what day the hearing was scheduled & then dropped.

View attachment 61979
Someone more versed in this, could you explain it? As I'm having a difficult time understanding why they would put an entry into the record of a hearing scheduled for 12/09/2014, and then immediately afterwards put another entry into the record showing that hearing is dropped.

If someone sent in a petition, they have to put in the record that it was received, and then they usually schedule it for hearing. It's not uncommon for a party to end up requesting that the hearing be dropped because the parties are going in another direction or something. Or sometimes they don't want to go in and have a hearing - they both are okay with a ruling being made on the briefs. I don't know enough about what was filed here to figure out what went on. But it's possible that shortly after they processed the request, they realized that there had been a subsequent request to drop the matter. Then they have to enter that in the record as well.

If someone sent in a petition, they have to put in the record that it was received, and then they usually schedule it for hearing. It's not uncommon for a party to end up requesting that the hearing be dropped because the parties are going in another direction or something. Or sometimes they don't want to go in and have a hearing - they both are okay with a ruling being made on the briefs. I don't know enough about what was filed here to figure out what went on. But it's possible that shortly after they processed the request, they realized that there had been a subsequent request to drop the matter. Then they have to enter that in the record as well.
Marvelous explanation, thank you! Makes total sense, and fits well with the sequence of actions the past couple weeks. Like you, I'm curious as to what was received by the court that made them go ahead and schedule a hearing. It would be kind of funny if they received something by mail from one of Dolan's "experts" talking about being available around that time in December to give testimony. And then the court was like, "Uh...wait a sec, this matter was already dropped by the petitioner and signed off on by Grillo." That "correspondence" the court received on the 14th would/could possibly answer a lot of questions here. It makes me want to email the court again and see if they can elaborate as to why this scheduling and immediate drop occurred, but I doubt if they could legally give me any further details than what was already provided in the first email.

View attachment 61979

So when a party wants to file a petition or motion in a matter there typically needs to be a hearing. When the petition or motion is drafted, the court's calendar clerk is contacted and he or she provides the next available date or dates to set the hearing, so that date can be on the petition/motion and the accompanying notice that needs to be served on all parties. It's not unusual to see those entries on the ROA. It's interesting that the date was 12/9/2014 - as 12/9 was the day in 2013 that she had the surgery. It could be they thought better of setting any sort of hearing on that day.

The anniversary of Jahi's birth is tomorrow, October 24. They put up an address for people if they want to send "birthday" cards. She would have been 14.

Actually TPN(Total Parenteral Nutrition) can go much longer than a few weeks. I know someone whose child was on it for four years. Yes, it's not that great, yes it needs to be closely monitored, and yes it can be bad for the liver, but there are people who have been receiving TPN for a decade or more.

------------------
Hi Oblio, I was speaking from what we were told at Clevelands Metro hospital.I'm wondering if it's the same type feeding he had for over two weeks. An IV, they added lipids as he was low. They then inserted a g-tube. Thanks for your response.

The anniversary of Jahi's birth is tomorrow, October 24. They put up an address for people if they want to send "birthday" cards. She would have been 14.
This can only end badly...

The family really put up an address to send birthday cards? How about sending birthday cards to her siblings? Seems more productive, and make them feel important in their family again. Imagine a 6 or 8 year old child feeling unloved because their deceased sibling gets more attention on her birthday, than they do on theirs :( How depressing that must be for them, sigh.

Well, at first glance the birthday card campaign seems to be just an opportunity for supporters to show their love and sympathy to NW.

But, IMO, this family often has had an ulterior motive when appealing to the public, and it's hard not to be cynical or jaded about their actions when it involves recruiting the public to do "something" on their behalf.

The family is requesting the cards be addressed TO JAHI at a P.O. box, and states NW herself will personally open (very carefully opening them, I suppose, in case there are valuable "enclosures" inside) each card, and read them to Jahi.

The next thing that popped into my head is the scene from "Miracle on 34th Street". Remember when Kris Kringle's defense attorneys are in court, trying to prove he is "real?" They have Postal Service employees haul bag after bag of letters to Santa Claus into court-- trying to prove that the U.S. government and postal system consider Santa Claus to be "real", since they are delivering his mail.

Now, we all know dead people get mail every day of the week (except Sunday, lol, when living people don't get mail, either). So I don't think that Jahi receiving mail is going to prove she's alive, but it would make for a good emotional pitch in court filings, or in court, or in a media interview, for NW and Atty Dolan to say Jahi got X number of birthday cards delivered "to" her by the U.S. postal system. JMO.

Oh dear.

Happy birthday Jahi, wish everyone was celebrating in happier circumstances.
Hope there is some way you can join your family in spirit.

I've only ever worked in a corporate legal setting but I did a fair amount of prep for litigation and a whole lot of regulatory filings. We never had any interns working with us so it was always the paralegals who did all the document preparation. It might be different in a law firm setting. But I've never known one attorney to do any document preparation.

And no, I don't think Dolan has zero paralegals or interns helping. Just that in my experience I would've thought paralegals would be doing the doc prep, rather than interns. And if Dolan does hire paralegals and he had interns prepping the court docs, I bet his paralegals were mortified by the sloppiness of those docs. At least I hope they would be.

I've been practicing law for 30 years. The sloppiness in Dolan's papers doesn't shock me, I've seen far worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
momster0734