Jahi’s family wants her declared 'alive again’

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nore, they don't tell us a lot and some of what they tell us either isn't true or is twisted in a fasion to suit them. If they wanted to move Jahi to California they would have to get permission from the coroner first, then they would need the funds and a private plane. Then they could go on.
I don't doubt that NW wants to go back to Oakland , her family is there. But what NW really really really wants is for that death certificate to go away. If Jahi was declared "alive" she could get Medicaid and other benefits AND Nailah could file a multiple million dollar lawsuit against CHO (. Not that she would win) but believe me baby, that death certificate is what it is all about.

Now Nore, when Jahi was in the hospital her momma didn't want to tell her that the stuff she felt going down her throat was blood, not mucus like Jahi thought. She didn't want to frighten her little girl. Now NW tells us that she just tells jahi all the time " well, they are trying to kill you again". Nailah says she is always "honest" with her about that. Now what kind of mother would tell their little girl that? I'm guessing one that knows her little girl can't hear or understand her because otherwise, that would just be cruel....and creepy. Don't you think?

For all of us wondering if New Jersey is obligated to accept Jahi as a patient, I'm going to say "no"
because plenty of hospitals said "no" when they wanted to leave Oakland. If you want to protest brain death on religious grounds you have to do it BEFORE they give you a death certificate. Nailah didn't start talking about Jesus until the death certificate has been issued so no hospital in any state will have to treat her "sick" deceased daughter now.

Interns in a law office generally will do research, not prepare documents for court. I can't believe Dolan doesn't have any paralegals on staff.

I worked as a paralegal for 20+ years and I would never have let docs go out the way his office did. Some judges would have laughed him right out of their courtrooms, or worse, for such sloppy work.
He has like 50 attorneys on staff. You think he has zero paralegals or interns there helping? That would be pretty shocking.

Every one of my pre-law professors loved to warn us that our internship between 2nd and 3rd year of law school would literally consist of nothing but preparing legal documents and yes, research. I think you're right in that it's not a "start writing word #1 and finish the whole thing from scratch." We were told it would be simply copying and pasting, because most types of cases are so similar to others, you can use nearly every sentence and every argument in all of them. Attorneys don't have the time to copy and paste documents all day long :) Were they just giving us a hard time and that's what paralegals do instead?

(and no, I'm NOT at attorney, LOL)

The way her family insists she's still alive makes me think she's a full code. Can you imagine being the EMT/paramedic/doctor/nurse who has to attend to that one?

I'm feeling sorry for all the health professionals who have had to deal with this family. JMVHO

And ... poor JM is just a pawn in this whole sad, sorry case! JMVHO

Setting aside the denial... won't her mother ever just get tired of this?

Setting aside the denial... won't her mother ever just get tired of this?

I think she started getting tired of all of this when they were booted out [MOO] of the NJ hospital and she had to start doing some of the maintenance work herself. JMHO

I think she started getting tired of all of this when they were booted out [MOO] of the NJ hospital and she had to start doing some of the maintenance work herself. JMHO
Are you saying it was all fun and games when she only had to show up on Fridays to paint toenails, but now that she has to deal with responsibility of taking care of a body, it's no longer a party?

Are you saying it was all fun and games when she only had to show up on Fridays to paint toenails, but now that she has to deal with responsibility of taking care of a body, it's no longer a party?

Uh ... yep! ... that's exactly what I'm saying! :wink:

I'm sure THAT phone call to 911 would be extremely cryptic! "My child's heart stopped beating, please send an ambulance!"

Ha! I can only imagine the first responders getting there and trying to get a medical history and not being told that Jahi has a medical history of "being dead for about a year".

Hi, this bothers me. If she is fed by G~tube why does she need supplements? This has been in my craw a while. I know that soon after her move to N.J. I read an article in the paper, with Dolan and Omrai or whoever .Supposedly they removed the G~tube as (in my words) it wasn't functioning right. She still had the trach.. I know a person cannot remain on IV fluids for a great length of time as it is not proper nutrition, a couple weeks at the most. I searched could never find the article again. Should they try to bring her back to CA. How? they'd need a private plane. Commercial would want her in a casket and place her in the cargo section. I don't see them moving her. They must have a "sort of" Doctor for her ~script for antibiotic. She has drop foot, hands are in splints. I just cannot fathom how they are pulling this all off! Early up it sounded like she is leaving the N.J. hospital she has been in, are they (hosp.) asking them to move her? This situation is beginning to seem a bit ghoulish to me. God forgive me I don't mean that the wrong way but you gotta admit it's not Kosher. If anyone can help me with some of these thoughts I would appreciate it. If not thank you for reading.:loveyou:

Actually TPN(Total Parenteral Nutrition) can go much longer than a few weeks. I know someone whose child was on it for four years. Yes, it's not that great, yes it needs to be closely monitored, and yes it can be bad for the liver, but there are people who have been receiving TPN for a decade or more.

That's what I feel too. Caring for a dead body in a household that includes Jahi's younger siblings and an older sibling who has an infant (or is expected to give birth soon) cannot be a peaceful scene. NW had stated herself that Jahi was the one who cared for her younger siblings, dressed them, etc.

NW no longer has a hospital with a qualified staff of nurses and doctors to do everything while she focuses on those ridiculous manicures. There is no longer a 24 hour staff to change diapers, do laundry and tend to hygiene. Most of these chores probably fall to the family to do now that Jahi is home. The siblings probably know that Jahi is gone and may justifiable resent the disruption to their lives that has occurred. The needs of the living have been pushed aside to cater to the dead. They likely can't have friends over and may live a sheltered life because of the media coverage. Things are getting "real" and it is not pretty.

That's what I feel too. Caring for a dead body in a household that includes Jahi's younger siblings and an older sibling who has an infant (or is expected to give birth soon) cannot be a peaceful scene. NW had stated herself that Jahi was the one who cared for her younger siblings, dressed them, etc.

NW no longer has a hospital with a qualified staff of nurses and doctors to do everything while she focuses on those ridiculous manicures. There is no longer a 24 hour staff to change diapers, do laundry and tend to hygiene. Most of these chores probably fall to the family to do now that Jahi is home. The siblings probably know that Jahi is gone and may justifiable resent the disruption to their lives that has occurred. The needs of the living have been pushed aside to cater to the dead. They likely can't have friends over and may live a sheltered life because of the media coverage. Things are getting "real" and it is not pretty.

I've never been comfortable in funeral homes and spend as little time as possible at visitations or services. I cannot even begin to fathom what it must be like to co-exist with a dead body in the house. Ghoulish. :moo:

Actually TPN(Total Parenteral Nutrition) can go much longer than a few weeks. I know someone whose child was on it for four years. Yes, it's not that great, yes it needs to be closely monitored, and yes it can be bad for the liver, but there are people who have been receiving TPN for a decade or more.

IV fluids are given through perephrial veins and can only be given for a limited period of time. TPN is different in that it is run through a port that is surgically implanted and is intended for longer use for someone who can't eat or digest food.

He has like 50 attorneys on staff. You think he has zero paralegals or interns there helping? That would be pretty shocking.

Every one of my pre-law professors loved to warn us that our internship between 2nd and 3rd year of law school would literally consist of nothing but preparing legal documents and yes, research. I think you're right in that it's not a "start writing word #1 and finish the whole thing from scratch." We were told it would be simply copying and pasting, because most types of cases are so similar to others, you can use nearly every sentence and every argument in all of them. Attorneys don't have the time to copy and paste documents all day long :) Were they just giving us a hard time and that's what paralegals do instead?

(and no, I'm NOT at attorney, LOL)

I've only ever worked in a corporate legal setting but I did a fair amount of prep for litigation and a whole lot of regulatory filings. We never had any interns working with us so it was always the paralegals who did all the document preparation. It might be different in a law firm setting. But I've never known one attorney to do any document preparation.

And no, I don't think Dolan has zero paralegals or interns helping. Just that in my experience I would've thought paralegals would be doing the doc prep, rather than interns. And if Dolan does hire paralegals and he had interns prepping the court docs, I bet his paralegals were mortified by the sloppiness of those docs. At least I hope they would be.

And no, I don't think Dolan has zero paralegals or interns helping. Just that in my experience I would've thought paralegals would be doing the doc prep, rather than interns. And if Dolan does hire paralegals and he had interns prepping the court docs, I bet his paralegals were mortified by the sloppiness of those docs. At least I hope they would be.
bbm
Totally agree there. It's perhaps the strongest point where I feel he has the least experienced people (interns) doing his doc preparation. They all just reek of hasty preparation, lacking professional review, and incredibly glaring mistakes that people who's JOB is it to NOT make those mistakes, would not have made. :) IMMVHO, of course.

IV fluids are given through perephrial veins and can only be given for a limited period of time. TPN is different in that it is run through a port that is surgically implanted and is intended for longer use for someone who can't eat or digest food.

Oops, forgot that part. So how long has she been without a feeding tube and what do they intend to do next?

Oops, forgot that part. So how long has she been without a feeding tube and what do they intend to do next?

Has Jahi's body lost the feeding tube?? I hadn't heard that. Rumor? Or is there some substantiation?

Wanted to add some info about lines for running TPN/ Hyperalimentation.

You can run up to 10% dextrose in peripheral lines, though the bigger the cannula and vein, the longer it'll last. You don't get much for calories in D10, even if they add some peripheral lipids (rare).

Most TPN (up to D25, or 25% dextrose) is run thru central lines. These can be more permanent button like ports below the collarbone, covered with skin, and accessed with a needle. Or, the lines can be more temporary single, double, or triple lumen groshong or broviac lines in the neck veins, below the collarbone, in between the breasts/ nipples, or in the groin vessels.

There is yet another kind of line, called a PICC, which stands for Peripherally Inserted Central Catheter. These are typically placed with peripheral access, in the large branching vessels above the "elbow pit" (antecubital fossa), and snaked up to the superior vena cava, confirmed with xray after placement. (Sometimes they head north up the neck veins, and have to be pulled back-- and can't be re-advanced at that point). Even if the tip of the PICC isn't in the SVC, but in the large vessel with a lot of flow further downstream (about where the arm meets the body), you can usually run up to D25 thru them. That's "technically" a peripheral line at that point, since it's not in the SVC, but I suppose that's semantics only medical folks will enthusiastically quibble over.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peripherally_inserted_central_catheter

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lipid_emulsion

Intralipids are a milky colored fat emulsion that is added to TPN regimens to provide more calories and essential fatty acids, etc. Interestingly, about 5-8 years ago, it was discovered that the humble intralipids can actually save lives in certain circumstances-- that being, a known local anesthetic overdose. Isn't that just amazingly cool??! Several people have actually had their lives saved (when they would have absolutely died) by the sequestration of local anesthetic by humble 20% intralipids given via peripheral or central IV route! So now, we carry them on our emergency carts in all areas where local anesthetics are given, and there is a protocol.

http://www.lipidrescue.org/

So, all that is probably just a boat load more information than anyone really wanted to know about lines and TPN! :scared:

AGREED!! One of the things that strikes me about home care by family members, is the ongoing need for very close monitoring and observation essentially 24/7, especially of the ventilator, tubing, connection, trach, airway secretions, etc. Remember that Jahi's body appears to have jerky spinal movements fairly often (or if you believe NW and CD, these are purposeful). And NW stated in her comments at the Dolan press conference that these bodily movements are actually more frequent around 2 am. Now, making sure the vent tubing and connections remain secure would be of paramount importance. So, however they are working it out, someone has to be somewhat alert and pretty close by to trouble shoot the vent, tubing, airway, etc all day and all night long-- especially if Jahi's body is unpredictably flailing about, as we saw in the "hand" video.

Unless they have outside help, that can be an exhausting job, to have to be somewhat alert and available all the time. Even if several people are splitting that up in shifts, it's just a never ending job of vigilance and trouble shooting. On top of all of the rest of the physical care. (Turning, skin care, mouth care, trach care, eye care, peri care/ diaper changes, feeding tube care and infusions, range of motion, splinting, devices such as sequential compression devices for the lower legs, etc.)

Interns in a law office generally will do research, not prepare documents for court. I can't believe Dolan doesn't have any paralegals on staff.

I worked as a paralegal for 20+ years and I would never have let docs go out the way his office did. Some judges would have laughed him right out of their courtrooms, or worse, for such sloppy work.

Agreed. Interns do not prepare pleadings. Paralegals typically do, but the final draft will be reviewed and signed by an attorney, as required by the rules of civil procedure. And you're right, paralegals typically catch mistakes attorneys don't. Then again, it's not obvious from looking at the name 'Jahi' if it belongs to a male or female.

Dolan has 15 attorneys at his firm, half of which graduated from an unranked law school with a 56% bar passage rate and only 39% of its graduates in 2012 employed with jobs that actually require passage of the bar. There are a few who attended Hastings... and one attorney who appears to have a hard time remembering to pay his bar dues.

Sunday I said goodbye to a beautiful 13 yr old. She passed peacefully with her parents by her side. Her family was told she had no brain activity after being in cardiac arrest for some time. She was such a wonderful girl, full of energy and life. I can not imagine the emotional toll this must be taking on Jahi's family.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Karla Enriquez