Japan: 9.0 Earthquake-Tsunami-Nuclear Reactor Developments #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
U.S. Military personnel being kept 50 miles from Fukashima reactor site. Foxnews reports on air.

The words to watch for are not "meltdown" or "partial meltdown" of the fuel rods. You're looking for breaches in containment vessels with a meltdown or low water levels in spent fuel pools with breaches in containment vessels.

I'm not up on cool-down processes but I find it hard to believe Daiini is cooled. I believe it has stopped producing and all systems are working toward cool-down. The rods are going to need to remain covered and contained.

Sorry if this has been posted. Just in from Fox,at least 3 reactors in partial meltdown. Great!! WTF,does that mean?
I heard that too and its coming from the head of the IAEA. So, we have 3 reactors that are in partial meltdown.

Ok - say each one is 1/3 in partial - well 3 times 1/3 = I WHOLE.

I think it would be safe to say that we have had at least one full reactor in meltdown - when you combine the 3 partials.

I need facts. Reading, "I heard" is not going to get it for me. I am asking, as I do not know-is it TOS on all threads that opinion must be separated from linked facts? TIA.

4.21pm (1.21am JST): The director general of the International Atomic Energy Agency, Yukiya Amano, has said he will travel to Japan as soon as possible, perhaps arriving as soon as Thursday.

Amano, who is from Japan originally, will meet with senior officials and stay one night, he told reporters this afternoon. He said he hopes to come back with "firsthand information" on the situation and address the issue of improving the flow of information to the IAEA.

Earlier today Amano urged the Japanese government to provide better information to the agency about the nuclear crisis.

4.13pm (1.13am JST): The US is to fly a spy plane over the stricken Fukushima plant in a bid to get a closer look at the damage, according to Kyodo news.

The Japanese news agency said the military will operate an unmanned Global Hawk high-altitude reconnaissance aircraft over the plant, perhaps as soon as Thursday, to examine the plant's reactors, Kyodo said, quoting a government source.

"Photographs taken by the plane equipped with infrared sensors could provide a useful clue to what is occurring inside the reactor buildings, around which high-level radiation has been detected," it added.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/blog/2011/mar/16/japan-nuclear-crisis-tsunami-aftermath-live

***seems like the IAEA does not like the info they are getting on the 'phone'***

Fukushima No. 3 reactor vents smoke, but container damage unlikely

Excerpt:
Japan's nuclear crisis at the Fukushima No. 1 power station showed no signs of abating Wednesday, five days after a mega earthquake crippled it, with the focus shifting to how to address the possible overheating of pools that store spent fuel rods at the already troubled No. 3 and No. 4 reactors.

What appeared to be smoke coming from the No. 3 reactor in the morning led the top government spokesman to point to the possibility of damage to the reactor's steel containment vessel, but it became more likely later in the day that the smoke was radioactive steam coming from the No. 3 reactor's spent fuel pool.

http://english.kyodonews.jp/news/2011/03/78678.html

Most of those you listed did NOT lead to a leak in radiation. Only 3 on the list did. The 1961 in Idaho Falls, TMI-2 and Chernobyl...

.08, .017 and 7000 Ci respectively. We know this has leaked radiation but a conversion needs to be done to see where it stands.

Respectfully Quoted ScorpRising
BBM

Please to request links for information. Thank you. :)

Levels would not be elevated to the below levels if a leak did not occur.

Levels of radiation outside the plant have now fallen from 1,000 millisieverts an hour to 600-800. A single dose of 1,000 millisieverts can cause temporary radiation sickness.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12755739

Funny - yesterdays reports topped off at 300-400 milli... Now they've dropped to DOUBLE that?

As far as how many Ci each event leaked, it was on the wiki link you originally provided with your list.

ETA: About mid page

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_and_radiation_accidents

Watching MSNBC, and they are explaining how the uranium rods work...
They say that the uranium fuel rods are considered spent after 6 months and then are switched for new ones. So, if we think that Diachi has been operating since the 70's, and that massive numbers of rods are switched every six months, and that Diachi stores all it's spent rods...OMG. The massive amount of radiation that must be contained in those pools on tops of those reactors.
In mid stream, they switched that to say that the rods are considered spent after 6 years.

Chernobyl will be opened as an extreme tourism destination, after 25 years, just a side note, saw it on MSNBC.

This caught me eye

"4.13pm (1.13am JST): The US is to fly a spy plane over the stricken Fukushima plant in a bid to get a closer look at the damage, according to Kyodo news."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/blog/2011/mar/16/japan-nuclear-crisis-tsunami-aftermath-live
MORE from the same link...

The Japanese news agency said the military will operate an unmanned Global Hawk high-altitude reconnaissance aircraft over the plant, perhaps as soon as Thursday, to examine the plant's reactors, Kyodo said, quoting a government source.

"Photographs taken by the plane equipped with infrared sensors could provide a useful clue to what is occurring inside the reactor buildings, around which high-level radiation has been detected," it added.

4.03pm (1.03am JST): "The magnitude of the Japanese earthquakes and the main resulting tsunami are apparent from the immense scale of devastation and from the fact that all countries around the Pacific were affected," says Dr Philippe Blondel, deputy director of the Centre for Space, Atmospheric & Oceanic Science at University of Bath.

Blondel adds that the "current fears about nuclear safety should not shadow the huge plight of the refugees":

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/blog...aftermath-live

I need facts. Reading, "I heard" is not going to get it for me. I am asking, as I do not know-is it TOS on all threads that opinion must be separated from linked facts? TIA.

Much of our info here, as with many developing situations, is based on live streams and news updates. Those can't be linked. Also there are roughly 100 pages between the two threads, and much of this info has been linked already, it just may take digging back to find the thread.

If it's opinion, it's stated as such, and nowhere in the last 100 pages have I seen anyone trying to masquearade opinion as fact...unless you count the government of Japan and a million experts with agends. Nobody here.

Watching MSNBC, and they are explaining how the uranium rods work...
They say that the uranium fuel rods are considered spent after 6 months and then are switched for new ones. So, if we think that Diachi has been operating since the 70's, and that massive numbers of rods are switched every six months, and that Diachi stores all it's spent rods...OMG. The massive amount of radiation that must be contained in those pools on tops of those reactors.
In mid stream, they switched that to say that the rods are considered spent after 6 years.

Chernobyl will be opened as an extreme tourism destination, after 25 years, just a side note, saw it on MSNBC.

Chernobyl was #1 on my bucketlist!! I guess there will be some who want to go there!! :waitasec:

U.S. Navy Detects Radiation 200 Miles From Japan Nuclear Plant

Advising limited precautionay measures

YOKOSUKA, Japan -- The U.S. Navy said Tuesday that very low levels of airborne radiation were detected at Yokosuka and Atsugi bases, about 200 miles to the north of the Fukushima nuclear power plant.

"While there was no danger to the public, Commander, Naval Forces Japan recommended limited precautionary measures for personnel

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2011/03/15/navy-detects-radiation-200-miles-japan-nuclear-plant/

You guys are so much more current than I am so this may already have been posted, if it has, please disregard...

http://abcnews.go.com/International...ation-levels-halt-fukushima/story?id=13146516

Surging radiation levels temporarily halted work to cool the troubled reactors at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant, raising worries that officials are running out of options to stabilize the escalating catastrophe.

"We're very close now to the point of no return," Dr. Michio Kaku, a theoretical physicist, said. "It's gotten worse. We're talking about workers coming into the reactor perhaps as a suicide mission and we may have to abandon ship."

here is one I found that is an hour and a half... great documentary on chernobyl:

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/the-battle-of-chernobyl/

(((this link has documnetaries on all kinds of topics that are free to watch)))

I watched it yesterday and it was flat out scary.
I don't believe in anything being paranormal.. however if I had to pick a place i thought may be haunted. Chernobyl and the surrounding towns in that video would be it!
The kindergarten with the toys and gas masks strewn about...... just eerie....
The resulting birth defects..... :( :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member