Japan: 9.0 Earthquake-Tsunami-Nuclear Reactor Developments #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
With all due respect to members posting about who is/should step up to the plate regarding this disaster, I'd like to remind that there are many international humanitarian groups on the ground right now assisting, as well as military. That's who usually "steps up to the plate" IMO. They are in harm's way. They don't care. They don't have any political agenda other than helping survivors of this disaster- and the many others they respond to.

With all due respect to members posting about who is/should step up to the plate regarding this disaster, I'd like to remind that there are many international humanitarian groups on the ground right now assisting, as well as military. That's who usually "steps up to the plate" IMO. They are in harm's way. They don't care. They don't have any political agenda other than helping survivors of this disaster- and the many others they respond to.

Amen to that!!!!!! Governments are slow and mired in red tape. Humanitarian organizations need our support more than ever.

I don't see how health care has anything to so with this but, we all should come to the realization that whatever the president says has to also mesh with the Japanese governments accounts. Japan is our allie and I'm sure they have appeased other governments to stay tight lipped for now. Also has any other world leaders spoken out? I just don't see how or why America has to be the Calvary for a nation that isn't a third world country. This isn't Haiti. Japan is a world power just like many other western nations. Also why does our president have to speak. I don't consider America a super power or more important than france, England, china etc. Where is the queen??

We are a witness to the possible destruction of a civilization. All the people should face the truth that we treat our planet like trash. Mother nature is an awesome force that cannot be hindered. This should make people wake up, but it won't.

The Queen doesn' matter. She doesn't have any power. Other countries have, of course, obviously spoken up and promised aid in this time of trouble. British rescue teams are there now. Canada has offered aid. I read somewhere that Afghanistan has as well, but I can't remember where I read it. (maybe it was here on WS)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12742158
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2011/03/14/pol-japan-aid.html
I'm sure there is evidence of other country's actions, if you wanted to look for it. I am also not sure why a country's economic strength matters at a time like this. If I saw someone in trouble, I wouldn't think 'oh, they're rich. They don't need my help."

Anyway, I know this isn't typical of the links posted here, but it's a good read, with interviews with the Gov. of Vermont and a nuclear engineer. It's a transcript, so it contains some typos, but a useful read, nonetheless.
http://www.democracynow.org/2011/3/15/this_could_become_chernobyl_on_steroids

ETA: this isn't directed at anyone in particular. Just wanted to post some stuff.

Plus another thing I think people should research the history of the nuclear program and what it means today. I am against nuclear power but if you take a look at how my environmental brothers and sisters have been called nut jobs and alarmist or liberal freaks anytime any resistance or protest against nuclear power plants crops up you will understand why governments don't want alarm. Nuclear plants supply a lot of power to most of our nations. If word gets out that they are unsafe and might blow if any natural disaster strikes then you are taking on a big fish in an even larger pound. We need cheap energy plain and simple.Of course they are safe and sure it's ok if you live near a nuclear reactor. Perfectly safe....

Agreed 100%. I think you will like some of the stuff in the link I posted in my last post, especially the parts of the interview witht he Gov. of Vermont. :)

CNN is being... well, radiation is all around us. It's on airplanes.. yada yada.

Ok - I'm back (lol my Walgreens is only 3 blocks away) and boy did I get an education.
Are ya ready?

I didn't seek out the pharmacist - but he knows me and DD as we are always in there. He saw me looking a little confused and asked me if I was finding everything.

So, I went up to his window and said that he might think I'm crazy but that I'm doing some research and where could I find potassium iodine tablets.

He knew exactly what and why I was asking.

He told me they don't even have any in stock for the main reason that radiation is the ONLY USE for them.

I got into a conversation with him and told him about all you all out on the West Coast and said they were flying off the shelves.

He said according to the FDA they are NOT over the counter. He even called (because now he was curious) his supplier - for all medications.

He said they don't even have any and he thought that it was only the government that could dispense them. So, I said - well how are these people on the west coast getting them? He didn't know. He did say there were some type of tablets (potassium) that could be used in camping to purify water (kinda like bleach).

As far as the FDA goes - that is nationwide and individual states can't LOOSEN restrictions on meds but that individual states can make restrictions even tighter than the FDA on certain things.

So, there ya have it. If any of you have these tablets - look at them - at the bottle. He told me the only way to get it is by prescription.

Workers in protective gear – known as the Fukushima 50 – encounter myriad problems as Japanese PM demands answers

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/mar/15/fukushima-50-workers-nuclear-plant

Excerpt:
Kan, who had already announced he would take personal control of a new joint-response headquarters involving the power company and the government, reportedly warned Tepco of serious consequences should it decide to pull its workers out before the plant has been made safe.

"In the event of a withdrawal, I'm 100% certain that the company will collapse," he said. "You must be determined to solve this."

Carrier Ronald Reagan assisting Japanese relief
March 15, 2011 | 9:26 am

Image: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/.a/6a00d8341c630a53ef0147e33ad8d6970b-640wi

"After sailing farther out to sea to avoid radioactivity, the U.S. carrier Ronald Reagan continues to launch aircraft to take tons of supplies ashore to Japan in the wake of the earthquake and tsunami.

Aircraft also are scouring the sea for homes and vehicles and other items swept into the ocean.
[See the image of the whole house floating in the ocean.] Other ships from the carrier's strike group, including the Preble and Chancellorsville, are assisting the relief effort. The carrier strike group is based in San Diego."

more...

Workers in protective gear – known as the Fukushima 50 – encounter myriad problems as Japanese PM demands answers

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/mar/15/fukushima-50-workers-nuclear-plant

Excerpt:
Kan, who had already announced he would take personal control of a new joint-response headquarters involving the power company and the government, reportedly warned Tepco of serious consequences should it decide to pull its workers out before the plant has been made safe.

"In the event of a withdrawal, I'm 100% certain that the company will collapse," he said. "You must be determined to solve this."

At what cost? That bad kind of containment dome that slams down when they say they have done all they can and no one else can be saved...I think I just heard the boom when it hit the ground. God bless the workers still inside.

I think what people are scrambling for is anything with Iodine. As your pharmacist said, they don't have KI over the counter. All US nuclear plants are supposed to have enough KI available for people within the evacuation radius...

Hope that makes sense.

Carrier Ronald Reagan assisting Japanese relief
March 15, 2011 | 9:26 am

Image: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/.a/6a00d8341c630a53ef0147e33ad8d6970b-640wi

"After sailing farther out to sea to avoid radioactivity, the U.S. carrier Ronald Reagan continues to launch aircraft to take tons of supplies ashore to Japan in the wake of the earthquake and tsunami.

Aircraft also are scouring the sea for homes and vehicles and other items swept into the ocean.
[See the image of the whole house floating in the ocean.] Other ships from the carrier's strike group, including the Preble and Chancellorsville, are assisting the relief effort. The carrier strike group is based in San Diego."

more...

I hate to say this, but it is bound to "hit home" with some of the US when they see our military going over there to help. God Bless the Marines!

So, there ya have it. If any of you have these tablets - look at them - at the bottle. He told me the only way to get it is by prescription.

I know I read an article about this online company www.nukepills.com

and.....

But the public-health agencies said they had been fielding calls from people asking if they should buy potassium iodide.

The drug information center at the University of Utah Hospitals and Clinics has also been receiving inquiries today from people asking about potassium iodide, said Erin Fox, manager of the organization's drug information service.

Purchase of potassium iodide doesn't require a prescription, Ms. Fox said.
Potassium iodide is a salt that stops the body from taking in radioactive iodine that can be emitted during a nuclear emergency.

It fills up the thyroid gland, preventing it from collecting the radioactive material and reducing the risk of cancer, among other things.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703363904576201013720213564.html

bbm :waitasec:

i'm confused now

I think what people are scrambling for is anything with Iodine. As your pharmacist said, they don't have KI over the counter. All US nuclear plants are supposed to have enough KI available for people within the evacuation radius...

Hope that makes sense.
I agree - I did see "tincture of iodine" bottles on the shelf. It was quite an interesting conversation with the pharmacist - he seemed concerned as well. But he sure didn't know what people were buying as they are definitely NOT OTC. Like us, he was really concerned about people just taking anything or even taking the tablets (if they get them) because it literally is poison and very dangerous to your body - even more so if you don't know what you're doing.

I think so, but bear in mind, this is just them airing the daily briefing because it refers to Japan, this is in no way a special statement regarding what we may face.

I agree. CNN cut away to commercial too quickly. Now they are discussing robots being used to assist in the disaster. meh!

I am so scared right now. Not only for the Japanese people but for the whole planet. I live on the coast of NC and am in the danger zone for a nuclear emergency at the Brunswick Plant. My daughter just informed me that a few weeks ago the plant was cited for rods being partially exposed. I had no idea but am about to research to get information (which will probably be just lip service....nothing to see here.)

We have the potassium iodide pills that were so generously provided by the plant several years ago but that doesn't really make me feel any better. This area also has the 'Seneca Guns' which feels like someone slams a door real hard or a car into the house and pictures and dishes rattle. I have never experienced an earthquake but this is how I imagine it would feel. Sorry i dont have a link because I am just rambling....but you can google it and I needed a good ramble anyway. :)

thank you to everone for all the updates!

wm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member