Japan: 9.0 Earthquake-Tsunami-Nuclear Reactor Developments #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The past week the world witnessed two of the largest and most publicized meltdowns in history:

1) Daiichi Nuclear Reactor

2) Charlie Sheen
http://www.scienceinseconds.com/blog

Sorry, it made me laugh. Not what I was looking for, but it's a good blog, and it makes everything super simple and the explanation makes a lot of sense.

Take any one article and count the "feel good" words.

Pump up the patriotism before the war too.

Sorry, I am not 'unamerican'.

I am also not gullible.

History says...

You aren't "unamerican." You are exactly what founded America. Goodonya!! Question away!! :)

O/T: UFO.... every time I see your avi I wanna listen to Tool. lol

Remember, I know nothing, but I believe "they" will show anything to make us believe "they" are doing something to remedy the situation...

The situation, IMO, is beyond remediation. Water drops... sure, they'll hit the target... This isn't a wild fire... (sarcasm)

Scary question. If one reactor explodes, would they all explode?

I talked to my 2nd dad (my best friend's dad) today who is an engineer who has worked in nuclear power for many years. He says the uranium it's self would not likely explode. It is very hard to explode a reactor. You will get hydrogen explosions. Chernoble was a steam explosion not the reactor it's self. He also said all these other elements that are being released are breakdown products of uranium. He told me the workers have no protection from the radiation. They can protect themselves from the dust and neutron penitration but the direct radiation. The people on the island will get radiated but our west coast is safe. He says it will disapate in the air and some will fall to the sea. I hope this helps. It helped me.

JBean,
Your post #302 helps a lot.
Thank you, truly.
The way I see it, in terms of the west coast of the US is the only way this would affect us here would be indirectly through food grown or animals raised in areas that had these materials deposited there.
I cannot see anything to support that anything could bring what spews out of that thing this far away.
Japan is in deep trouble, but I think it will most be generally isolated to Japan.
Either which way it is a catastrophe.

The guy that is speaking on the Oreily factor right now.. it' soo full of you know what his eyes are brown!!

NO deaths related to the radiation.. there WILL BE NO deaths related to the radiation..

blah blah

dude shut up

Oh and he's not even talking about the US, that i would by.. he's talking that no one in japan has or will die from radiation...

O/T: UFO.... every time I see your avi I wanna listen to Tool. lol

Waaaaay O/T, but I never got into that band, and I tried. Bought albums, etc, but nothing. Just FYI DO NOT look at the inside CD case of Anemia (sp?). Those of you who did will understand...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperthyroidism

Still looking for the link I had yesterday, but this is one of the backwards ways of saying the same thing. Since the main risk from the iodine 131 is the thyroid dangers, it stands to reason that danger of hyperthyroidism increases after exposure. That includes increased aggression, as well as some very nasty other things. The section here pertains to cats with hyperthyroidism, but the symptoms are much the same as many thyroid issues in humans. Still looking for that link I had yesterday.

The Dow Jones industrial average ended the day's trading session 242 points lower amid concerns over the US economy and the disaster in Japan.

Well, of course there's concerns. There is no one in charge of the U. S. at this time. It's like we have no leaders. Housing starts have fallen again, inflation is sucking our economy dry and our president is flying to South America where he'll be spending even MORE of the hard working American's money for beefed up security, Air Force One, etc., etc. Until someone steps up and takes control, we all need to tighten our belts and pray.

dang it.. just lost a bet..
Since hubby is gone we talk each night before bed.. anyway i told him i beth someone had come up with an app that would tell you what the radiation is in your area for the android.. he said NO WAY.. i said i bet so.. I lost..
lots of apps for fun for telling you what the radiation is for each call you make and such.. but no real time alerts or anything like that.. POO

Night all :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperthyroidism

Still looking for the link I had yesterday, but this is one of the backwards ways of saying the same thing. Since the main risk from the iodine 131 is the thyroid dangers, it stands to reason that danger of hyperthyroidism increases after exposure. That includes increased aggression, as well as some very nasty other things. The section here pertains to cats with hyperthyroidism, but the symptoms are much the same as many thyroid issues in humans. Still looking for that link I had yesterday.

What about hypothyroidism from rad? That's what many suffer from here...

Just caught this on the running banner:

The Japanese government is looking into the deaths of 14 evacuees at Fukushima prefecture once they arrived at the shelter (not exact but close).

Does that mean some people got to a shelter and then died? hhhmmmmm......

gotta watch for this.

Yes, that's what it means. Elderly patients were moved from a hospital to a school being used as a shelter. Two people died on the bus on the way to the school/shelter. Twelve others died not long after arriving to the shelter.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/blog/2011/mar/16/japan-nuclear-crisis-tsunami-aftermath-live

officials say 128 hospital patients were taken on Monday to a relief shelter in a high school in Iwaki city. Two of them reportedly died en route, and 12 others died shortly after arriving

Listed at 2:26 a.m.

I would probably find it easier to believe that the radiation isn't likely to be a problem in the US because it is going to disappate if I didn't watch so much PBS.

Dust and smoke from Africa has been found in S. America. Smoke and lava residues of volcanos hundreds of miles away has been found in the Artic. If dust, smoke and lava ash can travel and survive that far, why wouldn't radiation and the byproducts from the reactors?

I know that the majority will most likely fall into the ocean, but IMO and uninformed mind I have trouble believing that all of it will end in the ocean. I wonder how many detectors they have on the western side of the Rocky Mts?

The Dow Jones industrial average ended the day's trading session 242 points lower amid concerns over the US economy and the disaster in Japan.

We had some local coverage about this as well. We are a global economy now and there is no way for the US to isolate itself from that economy even if we wanted to do so.

Japan is a highly industrialized country. The impact of the tsunami on Japan will not be like the impact on the underdeveloped areas of countries hit by the 2004 tsunami where the US and the world had to go in and help with everything.

Japan contributes equally to the world economy (as the USA) and the impact of that country being "offline" in the world economy can only harm ours in the long run. We might have a temporary uptick of our economy but in the long run we will be hurt much like Japan is right now because of our interconnectedness.

JB thanks for putting your thoughts into a post. I agree with you that as it stand right now there really isn't danger to the west coast directly by these events in Japan. We don't even expect any issues here and we are halfway closer to Japan.

All JMHO.

http://www.cnn.com/video/flashLive/live.html?stream=stream3&hpt=T1

After the watching the footage of the helicopters dumping water over the power plant, I'm inclined to believe that it's more of an attempt to wash the radioactive material back to the ground & to attempt to prevent it from rising & blowing on the wind than anything else.

IMO, there's no way that any of that water actually reached the inside of the building where the spent fuel pool is located.

IOW - they're making it "rain".

MOO

You would think the snow would have done that, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evremevremm