Japan: 9.0 Earthquake-Tsunami-Nuclear Reactor Status #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Except that there are things that can be done.
I have huge rolls of plastic to cover the pool and plenty of tape and heavy brick to weigh the edges down with. In the unlikely event that the oceans and drinking water were eternally ruined I could, if absolute need be, filter that pool water for drinking water or at the least bathing etc...

The children need Potassium tabs.

Ground crops could be protected, some at least...

I have over 500 Ball canning jars that food could be put up in...

The soda and milk containers we save for hurricane water bottles and to stock in freezers could be filled.

No, I am not freaking out here, just saying that yes, there are things some of us would do to protect ourselves and our neighbors in advance if we knew it was...well, you get the idea.

No, I haven't done any of that.
But I am indeed wondering about the cumulative effect in my pool as it is over $700 to drain and refill.

I have a 3 Yo grandson learning to swim and drinking some of that water. Also 4 dogs who jump right in. Puppies on the way that will be trained to swim, and where the steps are, just as soon as they are no longer bottom heavy, lol.

Yes, there is a lot to consider.

I only ask that we are told the truth so we can take whatever actions are possible to mitigate damages to our own.

To heck with "If everybody panics", I'm not. I would have too much work to do first, lol.

http://enenews.com/radioactive-iodine-131-in-pennsylvania-rainwater-sample-3300-above-federal-drinking-water-standard

Radioactive Iodine-131 in Pennsylvania rainwater sample 3300% above federal drinking water standard …

The [Iodine-131] numbers reported in the rainwater samples in Pennsylvania range from 40-100 picocuries per liter (pCi/L). Although these are levels above the background levels historically reported in these areas, they are still about 25 times below the level that would be of concern. The federal drinking water standard for Iodine-131 is three pCi/L.

There is another good question, if anybody knows.

I am deathly allergic to iodine, anaphylactic shock reaction = stop breathing. One swab with an iodine swab before a blood draw and I break out in hives.

Is this radio active iodine different?

If not, how much will it take to produce a reaction in people who are allergic.

Stock the Benadryl and Epi-pens. We do anyway, but still, how many people should be told to do this if it is indeed a factor or could be?

Just asking, is there a difference in this iodine for those of us with severe allergies to iodine?

:)

If anybody knows...

Japanese Govt Admits To Meltdown At Nuclear Power Plant - March 29, 2011 CNN
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sB1YmOnmas

So here in this video it says the plants only had 8 hrs on back up power at the plants. It will be interesting to compare that with city emergency power plans and see if those plans reveal an obvious discrepancy in the needs of the power plants.

Here is a gloomy update from a man who was the VP of recovery efforts for TMI. I urge you to watch it, it is only about 7 - 8 minutes long.

[video=youtube;P9vCekm6AOY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9vCekm6AOY[/video]

Arnie Gunderson, audio only, but this one helped explain things a lot for me.
This is an older one, some may have already heard it.

Those towers we see in pics at the site are supposed to blow the bad chemicals up higher so they blow out across the Pacific toward California and hopefully dissipate. Because TEPCO can't get things powered up they have no way to blow the chemicals up and away and they are just falling locally.

Arnie Gundersen on Sojourner Truth with Margaret Prescod Discusses Radiation and Risks to those in Japan and the United States

http://fairewinds.com/content/arnie...d-discusses-radiation-and-risks-those-japan-a

So here in this video it says the plants only had 8 hrs on back up power at the plants. It will be interesting to compare that with city emergency power plans and see if those plans reveal an obvious discrepancy in the needs of the power plants.

bbm

Yes - and in the same video it is reported that emergency back-up generators @ U.S nuclear power plants will supply only 4 hours of power.

It seems to me that the *emergency* plans in place in Japan and especially here in the U.S. have been devised based upon a narrow set of "what-if" scenarios, which the current catastrophe in Japan is demonstrating has fallen far short of what is truly needed in a worst-case scenario.

What's that old adage - "hope for the best, but plan for the worst"?

It appears the nuclear power industry may have it's own motto of "plan for the best, and hope for the best".

I have no faith in any corporate energy entity - their bottom line is the profit margin. I also have no faith in any governmental regulatory agency - their bottom line is influenced by political partisanship and PACs.

US sending robots to Japan

A top Energy Department official told a Senate panel Tuesday that a shipment of "radiation hardened robotics" will be sent to Japan to assist in the crisis. A department spokeswoman said a robotic device from the Energy Department's Idaho National Laboratory is being shipped to Japan along with several radiation-hardened cameras.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap...iUidTA?docId=9004175380654066acda4e03052b0f27

IIRC most of ours are only 4 hours, because it's ASSUMED they will be able to restore power...eyeroll.

http://english.kyodonews.jp/news/2011/03/82036.html

Tokyo Electric to scrap 4 reactors at crippled nuclear plant

TOKYO, March 30, Kyodo

Tokyo Electric Power Co. said Wednesday that it will scrap the four crippled reactors at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant as the country struggles to bring the nuclear crisis under control weeks after a powerful earthquake and tsunami. The utility said that while the cost of compensation in connection with the nuclear disaster will be daunting and will undermine it financially, the company will try hard to remain afloat and avoid nationalization. ''We have no choice but to scrap reactors 1 to 4 if we look at their conditions objectively,'' said Tsunehisa Katsumata, the company's chairman, at a news conference.

Since losing cooling functions following the deadly natural disaster on March 11, four of the six reactors at the nuclear power plant northeast of Tokyo have leaked radioactive materials into the air and sea. While workers are continuing efforts to prevent the reactors from overheating and restore their cooling systems, all six reactors at the plant have been stabilized to some degree, Katsumata said. But as the cooling systems have yet to be restored for the Nos. 1-4 reactors to bring them into a stable condition called ''cold shutdown,'' the company, known also as TEPCO, will make maximum efforts, Katsumata added. The Nos. 5 and 6 reactors were already in a state of cold shutdown.

http://english.kyodonews.jp/news/2011/03/82074.html

TOKYO, March 30, Kyodo

The government plans to spray a water-soluble resin over debris at the crippled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant to prevent radiation leaks from spreading further, officials said Wednesday. An unmanned, remote-controlled vehicle will spray the solution in order to affix radioactive substances onto the debris, the officials said. The work will begin on a trial basis on Thursday.

Within the compound, masses of debris are strewn about the plant as a result of explosions, and this is making it very difficult for plant workers to bring the crisis under control. While frantic efforts are under way to cool reactors and remove water contaminated with high levels of radiation from facilities in the plant, the government hopes to facilitate the task by making it safe for workers to perform. The resin is designed to prevent dirt containing radioactive substances being scattered in the wind, the officials said, adding that the operation will be carried out by Tokyo Electric Power Co., owner of the atomic power plant. Spraying resin over the debris at the plant is a temporary measure before fundamental measures are taken to contain radioactive substances, the officials added.

http://enenews.com/radioactive-iodine-131-in-pennsylvania-rainwater-sample-3300-above-federal-drinking-water-standard

Radioactive Iodine-131 in Pennsylvania rainwater sample 3300% above federal drinking water standard …

The [Iodine-131] numbers reported in the rainwater samples in Pennsylvania range from 40-100 picocuries per liter (pCi/L). Although these are levels above the background levels historically reported in these areas, they are still about 25 times below the level that would be of concern. The federal drinking water standard for Iodine-131 is three pCi/L.

:eek:

What, exactly, does this mean then for the "foot of snow" I'm hearing rumors about on Friday?

Should I tell the dogs not to eat the snow and keep the kids inside til it melts?

ETA: Sorry I haven't been around much. We've had some family emergencies and a death in the family... sigh

What, exactly, does this mean then for the "foot of snow" I'm hearing rumors about on Friday?

Should I tell the dogs not to eat the snow and keep the kids inside til it melts?

ETA: Sorry I haven't been around much. We've had some family emergencies and a death in the family... sigh

ScorpioRising, I am sorry to hear this news. I'll be praying for you and your family at this time. (((Hugs)))

Glad you are back.

wm

I wouldn't have my kids out in it.... and I wouldn't let the dogs or kids eat it!!

ETA: I wonder about the wildlife.. they cannot avoid it.. it is going to go through the food chain then,, causing young to be born with birth defects??

That is a large amt (to me anyway)

Yeah, if you're in PA this must be alarming for you. What is your local news saying? Concerning the dogs, the only way to prevent animals from drinking the rainwater/eating snow is to keep them indoors 24/7, and that's nearly impossible.

In the longterm, this does NOT bode well for farm animals, especially those destined for America's dinnertables.

Just heard on the news (the today show) that fishing has been banned in certain parts of Japan now due to the highest amts of radiation in the water yet.. they said it doesn't pose an IMMEDIATE threat to human health......

That immediate part really sticks out to me.. my interpretation is you're not going to get radiation poisoning or suffer radiation burns, but your babies may be born with defects and you're probably going to die of cancer.

TEPCO president hospitalized in Tokyo

(AP)
TOKYO - The president of the beleaguered Tokyo utility company that owns the tsunami-damaged nuclear power plant leaking radiation in the northeast has been hospitalized with high blood pressure, the company said Wednesday.

Masataka Shimizu, president of Tokyo Electric Power Co., had not been seen for nearly two weeks after appearing at the news conference two days after the March 11 earthquake and tsunami that hobbled the Fukushima Dai-ichi plant.

Shimizu, 66, was taken Tuesday to a Tokyo hospital after suffering dizziness and high blood pressure, TEPCO spokesman Naoki Tsunoda said.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/03/29/501364/main20048591.shtml

I'm so sorry to hear about your troubles, Scorp. I pray your life will take an upswing and bring you peace. As I read your concern about the snow and your dog, I was having the same thoughts. I'm in New Orleans, and a cold front moving in from the northwest dumped tons of rain and hail over our area last night and this morning. It was the first real rain we've had since a day or two before the earthquake. So, as I'm sitting here with my coffee looking out at the yard, I'm wondering just what is the safe Iodine-131 levels for cats? We have two who stay outside. And what about my indoor cats. Should I allow them to go out before the rain dries up? And what about the Gulf, rivers, and lakes. Will our already challenged water ecosystems face a new danger? I'm sure any expert would tell me there is nothing to worry about. Still, these are questions I see looming ahead for all of us for awhile to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rsteen